Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshRK

This is not good enough. Yes happy we are 2nd and all but we still lack ruthlessness and that has been the trend since sir alex retired. Also, it is concerning how we always have a poor run of form under him. Had one at the start of the season, then in February and now another. It seems everyone has turned off and are waiting for the season to be over. Not at all good.

Godfather

With kids playing next game, I don't expect a win .

Will end the season on 71 points. That's just 5 points increase from our previous season. Means, a win and a draw more from last year.

5 more goals scored than last year but 7 more conceded.

To be frank, I don't consider that as an improvement atleast not to our standards.
Not a big one at least. Not the one we needed.

SER19

Over reaction in my opinion. Look at what’s happened in the last fortnight:

- The schedule fecked us.
- Our 80m centre back and captain is out injured
- We confirmed top four and missed out on the title so our focus dropped

On top of that, aside from 1 week we have been playing a game every 3 or 4 days, it’s no surprised they’re running on fumes, especially when you consider schedule tipped that over the edge. When was the last time we had any sort of time for preparation and coaching? We had no real break or preseason so we’ve been playing for over 12 months now with no rest.

If we can strengthen our weakest positions. CB, DM and RW, we should make progress again next season. That’s what matters.
Maguire injury aside this could literally have been plucked from any thread 12 months ago. I've never heard of a clubs fans talk about tiredness as much as ours and given the size of our squad and what we've spent somethings not adding up.

Losing focus because you get top 4 is actually disgraceful to the entire club and fans. Fair enough if there was a CL final in 10 days but let's not forget we capitulated there too.

Massively concerned about future

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The way people go on about 2nd place. It's not like Livepool when they finished 2nd in 18/19 when it was absolutely clear that they were the second best team and ready to put in a proper challenge.

We are just one of the top 4 teams that has had the best overall season. But I don't think we can safely say we are superior to Chelsea or Liverpool. If this is how we are coached, next season will be a slog.

edgecutter

Look, we’re second and in a final but at times it feels like we’re so bad. Like the basics of football are barely there, our football for the most part (even when winning) is dog shit.

Not sure how taking off Greenwood and Cavani whilst 1-1 is going to work either
I'm not too concerned about this season, really couldn't care less if we win the Europa as it's hard to get excited when you see city in a champions League final and we're in the b tier competition.

I am very worried about next year.

Chelsea will have a full season with tuchel and I can see them ahead of us.
Can Liverpool be awful again?

We could be slogging it out for top four again, I don't see us challenging.

dove

You can just have a look through this thread anytime Utd drop points, they'll be the same people here straight away.
Some people are just hurt seeing us go nowhere with Ole. Doesn't mean they are happy we drop points.

Giggsyking

Look, we’re second and in a final but at times it feels like we’re so bad. Like the basics of football are barely there, our football for the most part (even when winning) is dog shit.

Top level tactics

padzilla

Hipster
Ole really needs to get players who can slot straight into the first team this summer. McTominay Fred Lindelof and Fred should not be starting games for us week in, week out. Van de Beek must be utterly shocking in training if he can’t get more games than Fred and McT. Rashford has also morphed into an infuriating player who strolls up to defenders and tries a trick that almost never works and concedes possession nearly every time. It is reminiscent of modern day Martial. We should be going into tonight’s game with players hungry to prove themselves worthy of a final berth. Instead it’s the same strolling about and getting caught out by not doing the basics properly.

VojjE

Feel like our players are absolutely knackered and have about 45 minutes of the intensity they want in them. Can really see how much our lack of pre-season and no winter break is hurting us.

Abhinav

Putting a lot of pressure on himself with these last few results. The season is ending on a deflating note and Ole really needs to win the final now. Finishing 15 points behind City takes away a lot of the good work done earlier in the season.

BFernandes

Feel like our players are absolutely knackered and have about 45 minutes of the intensity they want in them. Can really see how much our lack of pre-season and no winter break is hurting us.
Or it could the utter refusal on Oles part to do any sort of rotation has caught up with them

Water Melon

A manager who is not gonna reach Pep and Klopp levels. A manager who is likely to be worse than Brendan. If he does not win EL, I'd let him go. However, knowing the owners, they will give him a 2 year extension minimum.

James35

Ole is staying our manager because of who he is, lose the Europa and he won't see out next season in my opinion.

We have progressed a fraction on last season and we have had Cavani and Bruno for a full season. To be honest though we are still pretty average and need at least 4 first team players to take us to a level to actually compete with the best.

I don't trust our recruitment and can't see above a 3rd or 4th place finish next season once Liverpool get VVD back and Chelsea buy better than us.

FireballXL5

I'd like to know why other teams look full of beans while we're shagged after 20 minutes.

UDontMessWith24

Sad life, this one has.
Two seasons in a row we've dropped an inordinate amount of points to clubs in the bottom table home and away. Now you're going to claim everyone but the manager is responsible, but because I'm in a good mood despite my sad life, I'll do you a solid and explain a very simple and rudimentary element of team sports, which you are either not bright enough to understand, or more likely you just refuse to acknowledge.

Those dropped points, and for that matter the loss to Liverpool as well, came because the players took the foot off the gas like they were up 3-0. This has been happening over and over and over again throughout Ole's reign as manager. There is enough quality in the side and the manager is good enough tactically to allow for comebacks against inferior teams, but it's not something that can be relied upon enough to win a title.

What's this got to do with the manager you ask? Well, too often he is powerless to put an end to these periods of lethargy and unprofessionalism during the course of a game. This has nothing to do with tactics or player selection, but simply an inability to exert his authority, and that's a huge problem unless you're just ok with not winning another title just so you can childishly insult anyone that doesn't think your boy is the bestest manager in all of history.

Everything above is fact, so your opinion in regards to this post is irrelevant. Have a nice day.

Cast5

Should have kept them on and then you’d have been in the Ole make a fecking sub thread.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He must be feeling enormous pressure right now, if they play like that in the final big questions will be asked of him.

youngrell

I'd like to know why other teams look full of beans while we're shagged after 20 minutes.
What, like all the ones who didn’t just play 4 times in 8 days?

People are putting way too much weight behind these games over the last week. They are pretty meaningless and the players most likely have one eye on the Cup final. There’s always a drop off after the title has been won, happens pretty much every year it’s wrapped up early.

Everyone needs to chill and just look forward to the game next Weds.

Godfather

Should have kept them on and then you’d have been in the Ole make a fecking sub thread.
Nobody ever in the history of manchild would yell for a striker to be subbed off in the final minutes of a game that we are not winning.

The Hilton

Some people are just hurt seeing us go nowhere with Ole. Doesn't mean they are happy we drop points.
But absolutely nobody has seen us go nowhere with Ole. We went from a club in free fall with a toxic atmosphere, to our only back to back top 4 finishes since Fergie retired.

You could make the argument that we've gone as far as we can under Ole, but that would require a similar season next season as evidence, because we've improved each season under him so far.

The Oracle

I think one of my biggest concerns under Ole is that we rely too much on individual brilliance or a moment of magic to bring about goals.... rather than recognisable patterns of play to get goals.

dove

But absolutely nobody has seen us go nowhere with Ole. We went from a club in free fall with a toxic atmosphere, to our only back to back top 4 finishes since Fergie retired.

You could make the argument that we've gone as far as we can under Ole, but that would require a similar season next season as evidence, because we've improved each season under him so far.
I agree with what you said about toxic atmosphere, we are much better off the field for sure, just look like a healthier club compared to Jose's reign. On the field I am not convinced. We are definitely capable of winning radom cup here and there but I think we will never get close to winning the league with Ole in charge. High 60s/low 70s is his ceiling IMO.

Matriac

If anything I wanted him to take Greenwood off for Amad after 60min, but then GW did have a few positive attempts after that. Though he really should have slotted away that ball when he was 1 on 1 with the keeper. He kept fumbling the ball at his feet all game. I figure Ole kept him on so long in hopes he would build some confidence for next week.

As for Cavani out, maybe he signaled he was tired and they didn't wanna risk him further for a game that essentially doesn't matter.

Cast5

Nobody ever in the history of manchild would yell for a striker to be subbed off in the final minutes of a game that we are not winning.
You got all those people on ignore then? I know for a fact if Cavani got injured then people would be in a melt down, “why didn’t he take him off he’s 34, it’s a nothing game!!!!!!”

UDontMessWith24

Over reaction in my opinion. Look at what’s happened in the last fortnight:

- The schedule fecked us.
- Our 80m centre back and captain is out injured
- We confirmed top four and missed out on the title so our focus dropped

On top of that, aside from 1 week we have been playing a game every 3 or 4 days, it’s no surprised they’re running on fumes, especially when you consider schedule tipped that over the edge. When was the last time we had any sort of time for preparation and coaching? We had no real break or preseason so we’ve been playing for over 12 months now with no rest.

If we can strengthen our weakest positions. CB, DM and RW, we should make progress again next season. That’s what matters.
Our focus and energy have been a 50/50 proposition all season. For the last two seasons we've dropped points left and right to bottom clubs because we either scored first and strolled around like the match was over, or strolled around like the match was already won from the moment the ball was kicked off. The manager is tasked with exerting his authority to make sure such periods of lethargy and unprofessionalism are as abrupt as possible, and as a matter of fact rather than opinion, he has not shown he can do that on a consistent enough basis to win this league.

Yes there has been progress, but so many of the points dropped are for no reason other than the players simply went into first gear and lost their focus. That is on the manager and nothing you or anyone else says can change that because it is a fact.

Cast5

If anything I wanted him to take Greenwood off for Amad after 60min, but then GW did have a few positive attempts after that. Though he really should have slotted away that ball when he was 1 on 1 with the keeper. He kept fumbling the ball at his feet all game. I figure Ole kept him on so long in hopes he would build some confidence for next week.

As for Cavani out, maybe he signaled he was tired and they didn't wanna risk him further for a game that essentially doesn't matter.
Bang on mate. People lose their heads over nothing.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You are comparing a dead rubber match to a cup final, so obviously there will be
There will be what? It may be a dead rubber but surely you expect a bit better than that, especially considering our form this month. It’s hard to go from playing with one foot on the beach to turning it on in a final, hopefully he can get them going.

VojjE

Or it could the utter refusal on Oles part to do any sort of rotation has caught up with them
More of a lack of quality through the squad and unfortunate injuries, surely Rashford would have gotten more rest if Martial was available.

We'll have played 61 games by the end of the season, with no real pre-season. A game every 4 days for 241 days on average. The only team in the league that have a similiar situation is city, but their squad depth is staggering so hard to compare.

Godfather

You got all those people on ignore then? I know for a fact if Cavani got injured then people would be in a melt down, “why didn’t he take him off he’s 34, it’s a nothing game!!!!!!”
If we were winning our first game in front of our fans again I'd agree with you. If he brought on a striker instead of him I'd agree with you too. We weren't though. He brought on a nothing footballer for the only striker I'd tip to get us the winner in a game that had huge emotional meaning after this hard times.

UDontMessWith24

The way people go on about 2nd place. It's not like Livepool when they finished 2nd in 18/19 when it was absolutely clear that they were the second best team and ready to put in a proper challenge.

We are just one of the top 4 teams that has had the best overall season. But I don't think we can safely say we are superior to Chelsea or Liverpool. If this is how we are coached, next season will be a slog.
And we're in that position mostly because of dropped points against vastly inferior teams, not injuries or lack of quality.

mu4c_20le

There will be what? It may be a dead rubber but surely you expect a bit better than that, especially considering our form this month. It’s hard to go from playing with one foot on the beach to turning it on in a final, hopefully he can get them going.
There will be questions, I was agreeing with you fully, but also poitning out the difference between the two games. For what its worth, I thought the lads played well particuarly in the first half in which we dominated. There were also plenty of chances to make it 2 or 3 nil in the second, the one from Mason for example. So, they gave enough for me. I won't fault them for not sprinting all out until the final whistle, or Ole not keeping his best men on the pitch just to chase a pointless win.

The Hilton

I agree with what you said about toxic atmosphere, we are much better off the field for sure, just look like a healthier club compared to Jose's reign. On the field I am not convinced. We are definitely capable of winning radom cup here and there but I think we will never get close to winning the league with Ole in charge. High 60s/low 70s is his ceiling IMO.
That's fair enough, I think Ole deserves a chance but your opinion has merit.

However that isn't what you originally posted, which was that we've gone nowhere under Ole, which just isn't true. He's done a marvelous job of steadying the ship and healing us.

He may have reached his ceiling with us, we'll have to wait and see, but on no planet have we gone nowhere under him.

Cast5

If we were winning our first game in front of our fans again I'd agree with you. If he brought on a striker instead of him I'd agree with you too. We weren't though. He brought on a nothing footballer for the only striker I'd tip to get us the winner in a game that had huge emotional meaning after this hard times.
Which striker could he have brought on?

You’re acting like the players didn’t try, they tried. They had more than enough chances to win the game, they just didn’t finish their chances, that’s nothing to do with not trying. The overreaction is strange.

dove

That's fair enough, I think Ole deserves a chance but your opinion has merit.

However that isn't what you originally posted, which was that we've gone nowhere under Ole, which just isn't true. He's done a marvelous job of steadying the ship and healing us.

He may have reached his ceiling with us, we'll have to wait and see, but on no planet have we gone nowhere under him.
Okay, we have moved a tiny bit forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.