Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Yeah that is a ridiculous response to someone saying Leipzig and PSG aren’t bad teams.

The polarisation on both sides of the ‘Ole’ divide is unbearable and it leaves both camps either blind to the progress we’ve made or blind to the progress we still have to make. Everything is instantly black and white while ignoring the fact that the reality of any situation lies in the grey.

The predictability and hostility underlying so many of these posts is also equally misguided and equally boring. We all support United and want what’s best for the club - we’re just gonna disagree on the method to achieve this. That doesn’t have to then descend into points scoring at every single opportunity because this just pollutes the dialogue and dampens the mood on the Caf. If you wouldn’t say your post to someone’s face maybe change the wording.

Cards on the table, I probably fall into the camp that Ole isn’t the man to take us back to the elite level. But I do think he’s an important component in the journey there and the right man for the job in the short-term, but not the long.

I hope I’m wrong - that he is able to make the jump - and I’ll give him every chance to be able to do so because the progress we’ve made since Mourinho is undeniable. I just worry that the flaws he has were clearly present towards the end of his caretaker reign. They then continued throughout his first proper season and persist well into the second. It’s worrying that a lot of the best attributes Ole seems to have relate very little to his actual coaching ability. To dismiss these issues as somehow indicating ‘you’re not a true fan’ or ‘you don’t understand the plan’ is silly and misses the point.

Conversely, to dismiss the obvious progress we’ve made and to immediately jump on any negative result with statements like ‘PE Teacher’ and ‘Guy from Molde’ is equally silly and misses the point. It feels at times on here like people get more masochistic pleasure out of a loss than genuine enjoyment from a win. Doing the mental gymnastics to validate Nagelsmann’s issues with setting up a defence while lambasting Ole for the same thing must be as tiresome to write as it is to read.

Ole has most likely earned another season with significant investment in the summer to see if he, and the team, can make the jump from pretenders to contenders. If he can, we’re flying. If he can’t, he was given more than enough time and we can look for a suitable replacement safe in the knowledge that the team (and more importantly the club) is in a much better state than when Ole joined. No other manager since Fergie has achieved that.

That’s my uselessly long-winded two cents. Feel free to ignore my attempts to cure my insomnia by boring myself to sleep.

TLDR; I think the arguments for ‘Ole In’ and ‘Ole Out’ both have merits and both have flaws; I just wish people would acknowledge both those sides of their own arguments and be nicer to each other while doing so.
I think this is well reasoned and balanced, I tend to agree in the most part.

GoldTrafford99

You can all argue to your heart's content on your little keyboards, but the truth is, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer WILL NOT be let go by Manchester United....

He is doing a stellar job.

The idiots can't see it because they're too concerned with the first team results.... as if they haven't learned anything about our club's history.

Everything is being done in the shadows...

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

The idiots calling for Ole's head would have called for Busby's head in 1948 and would have called for Sir Alex's head in 1988...

"Fans" calling for Ole's head are supporting the wrong football club.

Fluctuation0161

If he doesn't change the Maguire-Lindelof partnership ASAP. I will be very concerned with his judgement.

I suspect he would've liked a January CB signing but the board would not sanction it, because they've wasted £1 billion of our money paying Glazer debt instead of buying players and covid has reduced short term income.

GoldTrafford99

If he doesn't change the Maguire-Lindelof partnership ASAP. I will be very concerned with his judgement.

I suspect he would've liked a January CB signing but the board would not sanction it, because they've wasted £1 billion of our money paying Glazer debt instead of buying players and covid has reduced short term income.

They've also wasted £1billion on stupid transfers trying to get us back to the top by hiring and firing the world's best managers and trying to sign dome of the world's best footballers which has been such bollix and so anti-Manchester United that it's scandalous. .

We are Manchester United.

We have proven that this club works with giving young managers time to build a dynasty who can then turnover not just the odd league title here and there, but who dominate for decades.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, "Fans" calling for Ole's head are supporting the wrong football club.

Robbie Boy

Yeah that is a ridiculous response to someone saying Leipzig and PSG aren’t bad teams.

The polarisation on both sides of the ‘Ole’ divide is unbearable and it leaves both camps either blind to the progress we’ve made or blind to the progress we still have to make. Everything is instantly black and white while ignoring the fact that the reality of any situation lies in the grey.

The predictability and hostility underlying so many of these posts is also equally misguided and equally boring. We all support United and want what’s best for the club - we’re just gonna disagree on the method to achieve this. That doesn’t have to then descend into points scoring at every single opportunity because this just pollutes the dialogue and dampens the mood on the Caf. If you wouldn’t say your post to someone’s face maybe change the wording.

Cards on the table, I probably fall into the camp that Ole isn’t the man to take us back to the elite level. But I do think he’s an important component in the journey there and the right man for the job in the short-term, but not the long.

I hope I’m wrong - that he is able to make the jump - and I’ll give him every chance to be able to do so because the progress we’ve made since Mourinho is undeniable. I just worry that the flaws he has were clearly present towards the end of his caretaker reign. They then continued throughout his first proper season and persist well into the second. It’s worrying that a lot of the best attributes Ole seems to have relate very little to his actual coaching ability. To dismiss these issues as somehow indicating ‘you’re not a true fan’ or ‘you don’t understand the plan’ is silly and misses the point.

Conversely, to dismiss the obvious progress we’ve made and to immediately jump on any negative result with statements like ‘PE Teacher’ and ‘Guy from Molde’ is equally silly and misses the point. It feels at times on here like people get more masochistic pleasure out of a loss than genuine enjoyment from a win. Doing the mental gymnastics to validate Nagelsmann’s issues with setting up a defence while lambasting Ole for the same thing must be as tiresome to write as it is to read.

Ole has most likely earned another season with significant investment in the summer to see if he, and the team, can make the jump from pretenders to contenders. If he can, we’re flying. If he can’t, he was given more than enough time and we can look for a suitable replacement safe in the knowledge that the team (and more importantly the club) is in a much better state than when Ole joined. No other manager since Fergie has achieved that.

That’s my uselessly long-winded two cents. Feel free to ignore my attempts to cure my insomnia by boring myself to sleep.

TLDR; I think the arguments for ‘Ole In’ and ‘Ole Out’ both have merits and both have flaws; I just wish people would acknowledge both those sides of their own arguments and be nicer to each other while doing so.
Well said.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
You can all argue to your heart's content on your little keyboards, but the truth is, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer WILL NOT be let go by Manchester United....

The idiots can't see it because they're too concerned with the first team results.... as if they haven't learned anything about our club's history.

The idiots calling for Ole's head would have called for Busby's head in 1948 and would have called for Sir Alex's head in 1988...

Who are you to call other fans idiots!? You can rant without insulting people, you know?

Robbie Boy

State of this.

Mainoldo

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This tickled me!

dinostar77

Ole contract extension talks delayed till end of season. If Utd dont qualify for CL Ole will be sacked. Utd have had an eye on Poch (now unavailable), but Allegri would be of interest (if he doesnt go to Madrid and he has been learning english).

Yesterday's The Transfer Window Podcast.

Robbie Boy

Would much rather stick with Ole than hire Allegri. Too many Jose/LvG vibes off him and not the path I would want us to go down.

Mainoldo

Would much rather stick with Ole than hire Allegri. Too many Jose/LvG vibes off him and not the path I would want us to go down.
Rather Allegri but I’m with you. I’m tired of this old school pragmatic football.

I’ve never been impressed with his football. However he’s a better tactician than Mourinho. Our defence and midfield would benefit immediately.

Siorac

Yes, absolutely. Getting Allegri in would mean yet another full reset and that's exactly something we should stop doing.

We should be looking for a young, progressive manager who wants to play on the front foot and control games. Someone who can elevate a team above the sum of its parts. If such a person is not available this summer, then yeah I'd rather stick with Ole - I can't see him imploding a la Mourinho - and keep looking. We should absolutely NOT extend Ole's contract though. There's really no downside to waiting until the end of next season with that. It's not like he's going to be poached by Real Madrid.

romufc

I don't see anyone who is a Ole supporter posting stupid comments. There was one but he has been banned. The likes of @anant @roonster09 @crossy1686 @Bilbo @RedSky @romufc and pretty sure many more have always been balanced in their opinion. I am not saying there are not trolls on either side, their are and which is why one poster was even banned but just see more Ole outers come here to troll or just blatantly abuse Ole. Again not saying all Ole outers are trolls but some of the comments we seen whenever we draw or lose is shocking.

I Support Ole because I appreciate the job he has done however, as a fan I will also not stand us dropping points to SU and WBA. So, I will call Ole out on that, he is too soft on our defenders and attackers.

We have to take things in perspective, when Ole came in we were in freefall and he has rebuilt fans hope and the squads hope. I appreciate what he has done and always maintained Ole will be the man to get us to a point where a new manager will make us true challengers.

I could just as easily say - in a hypothetical sense - that the hysterical Ole in bunch will want a new manager gone asap, as they are so bitter with Ole getting sacked. But baseless generalisations won't help anything other than fanning the flames.
If Ole fails to win a trophy and get top 4, he should be sacked, no one will be bitter considering he has had 2.5 years to show his worth. Its as simple as that really.

I like Ole, I think he is doing a good job but that does not mean he can coast through seasons without challenging or win trophies.

dinostar77

They did say of interest. Julian Nagelsmann was mentioned but that was speculation on their part if Utd would go down the next hot young manager route rather than a pair of experienced hands.

rotherham_red

I Support Ole because I appreciate the job he has done however, as a fan I will also not stand us dropping points to SU and WBA. So, I will call Ole out on that, he is too soft on our defenders and attackers.

We have to take things in perspective, when Ole came in we were in freefall and he has rebuilt fans hope and the squads hope. I appreciate what he has done and always maintained Ole will be the man to get us to a point where a new manager will make us true challengers.

If Ole fails to win a trophy and get top 4, he should be sacked, no one will be bitter considering he has had 2.5 years to show his worth. Its as simple as that really.

I like Ole, I think he is doing a good job but that does not mean he can coast through seasons without challenging or win trophies.
Pretty much agree with this, though I will reserve judgement on his managerial capabilities until he's been given the tools to succeed/fail. Last summer was a massive missed opportunity from the board and for Ole to have progressed us as much as he has in spite of it is a testament to how good he potentially is IMO. This squad is for the most part made up of players who were either written off or considered squad players by the previous management, so while they have improved as players, I do think that a lot of them (particularly in midfield) are squad players in a proper Utd team. Once we get to the point that Fred and McTominay are seen as such, we'll be much, much nearer to where we want to be.

The SHU and WBA results and performances were poor but what pisses me off is that despite us being poor, we still should have come away with wins in both if the referees were competent.

The players in defence are good but Lindelof and Maguire just don't mesh well with each other in terms of their characteristics, and that has a knock on effect on the rest of the unit. We need a proper CB in there with the recovery pace that both lack. We also desperately need a DM (I'd argue it's our biggest need). Bring those two in and I'd say we are much more solid through the whole spine of the team. I'd actually forego a RW in the summer if it meant that we could get both of those in. Of course, we should be getting all three in this summer, but I just don't trust Woodward to do it. Why he doesn't back Ole to the same extent he backed Jose and LvG, I will never know.

Withnail

Ole contract extension talks delayed till end of season. If Utd dont qualify for CL Ole will be sacked. Utd have had an eye on Poch (now unavailable), but Allegri would be of interest (if he doesnt go to Madrid and he has been learning english).

I've stopped listening to that podcast. I come to the conclusion that they know very little, McGarry especially and Castles was only useful on United when Jose was manager. It seems to be throw a load of crap at the wall and see what sticks.

dinostar77

I've stopped listening to that podcast. I come to the conclusion that they know very little, McGarry especially and Castles was only useful on United when Jose was manager. It seems to be throw a load of crap at the wall and see what sticks.
Different opinions for different people. I personally think they are great.

romufc

Pretty much agree with this, though I will reserve judgement on his managerial capabilities until he's been given the tools to succeed/fail. Last summer was a massive missed opportunity from the board and for Ole to have progressed us as much as he has in spite of it is a testament to how good he potentially is IMO. This squad is for the most part made up of players who were either written off or considered squad players by the previous management, so while they have improved as players, I do think that a lot of them (particularly in midfield) are squad players in a proper Utd team. Once we get to the point that Fred and McTominay are seen as such, we'll be much, much nearer to where we want to be.

The SHU and WBA results and performances were poor but what pisses me off is that despite us being poor, we still should have come away with wins in both if the referees were competent.

The players in defence are good but Lindelof and Maguire just don't mesh well with each other in terms of their characteristics, and that has a knock on effect on the rest of the unit. We need a proper CB in there with the recovery pace that both lack. We also desperately need a DM (I'd argue it's our biggest need). Bring those two in and I'd say we are much more solid through the whole spine of the team. I'd actually forego a RW in the summer if it meant that we could get both of those in. Of course, we should be getting all three in this summer, but I just don't trust Woodward to do it. Why he doesn't back Ole to the same extent he backed Jose and LvG, I will never know.
Last summer was a massive missed opportunity, we all knew that apart from the board. At the start of the season, all the Ole out crowd was saying he will be lucky to survive till December, top 4 would be difficult etc... Now they are saying he has bottled the title, shows the shift in narrative.

We have seen snips of Ole ball, moreso this season however; we make individual defensive mistakes a bit too often. Our CB's are just not aggressive enough, we do not have a DM who will clean up either which is really affecting how we play.

McTominay and Fred are good but we need someone who has both their abilities in one. We need a midfielder who can pass in tight spaces and keep the ball when pressured.

I think Woodward is not backing Ole because he doesn't believe he is the man for the job?

iHicksy

Sorry, do you have a giant keyboard? I suspect from the content of your post a lot of your peripherals would need to be oversized.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

Thats a very good post

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

They have no idea. Just like with transfers.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say this is satire of some sort.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
At the very least I'm glad the board didn't jump the gun and give him a new contract as soon as we hit a purple patch. Been Ole in so far and still a mild preference for him to continue in the job but my optimism is flagging.

A squad with basically no injuries and we have ~1.92 PPG.
If you take Ole's word for it and disregard the first 3 games because we weren't "ready" - we're at 2.04 PPG.

Maybe he can reliably get us top four if we stick (which is more than what can be said of our other appointments) - but beyond that seems a bit out of reach. Definitely won't be challenging City / Pool next year either unless we pull off two more Bruno level transfers which seems unlikely. I think we need to be more ambitious than that but run a real risk of getting it wrong with the next appt which can set us even further back.
Pogba and Bailly have missed a ton of games and the recent skid coincides with both of them being out.

Mainoldo

Pogba and Bailly have missed a ton of games and the recent skid coincides with both of them being out.
Bailly isn’t first team and Pogba wasn’t considered as the man stack in a two man pivot for the big teams. So these are hardly a VVD injury case for us. If it was Bruno you’d have a point.

Skåre Willoch

Bailly isn’t first team and Pogba wasn’t considered as the man stack in a two man pivot for the big teams. So these are hardly a VVD injury case for us. If it was Bruno you’d have a point.
Pogba was playing very well - and has been on a cracking run of form. You even say he's the best player in the squad (if I'm not mistaken?).

Of course his injury is a major loss. Huge loss. We've missed him bigly. Whatever Trump-ish adjective you'd use to describe just how big of a loss his absence has been. I think we'd have been a lot better against both Everton and West Brom with him in the team, and I think he is integral for us to be able to finish the season in 2nd place and even gain some points on City. We just don't have anyone else with a similar combination of skill and physicality.

OleGunnar20

I'm largely in favour if what Ole"s done, it's a huge improvement over the last three car crashes if nothing else.

I do however worry about our inconsistency at both ends of the pitch, along with our general lack if a winning mentality.

I wonder if the solution might be the hiring of a couple of top class coaches / assistants ala Quieroz, rather than a wholesale change if the management?

Fergie was (as with many things) an absolute master of this it seems, bringing in the right coaches to fill in the gaps in his knowledge and ability, freshening up stale setups every now and then.

Let's build on what's good here rather than throwing the baby out with the bath water is what I'm saying.

Mainoldo

Pogba was playing very well - and has been on a cracking run of form. You even say he's the best player in the squad (if I'm not mistaken?).

Of course his injury is a major loss. Huge loss. We've missed him bigly. Whatever Trump-ish adjective you'd use to describe just how big of a loss his absence has been. I think we'd have been a lot better against both Everton and West Brom with him in the team, and I think he is integral for us to be able to finish the season in 2nd place and even gain some points on City. We just don't have anyone else with a similar combination of skill and physicality.
I did say that. But I was told I was chatting rubbish so I don’t know why now you want to claim he is very important. Unless it’s Bruno it shouldn’t really be much of an issue. We still can play Fred and McT, which correct me if I’m wrong, have played the most games in that position this season.

Having no Pogba against WBA should not automatically mean we cannot win that game(not claiming this is what you are alluding to).

Skåre Willoch

I did say that. But I was told I was chatting rubbish so I don’t know why now you want to claim he is very important. Unless it’s Bruno it shouldn’t really be much of an issue. We still can play Fred and McT, which correct me if I’m wrong, have played the most games in that position this season.

Having no Pogba against WBA should not automatically mean we cannot win that game(not claiming this is what you are alluding to).
There you go with the extremes again. People can disagree with Pogba being the best player in the team, and still think he's a very important player with a unique skill set. But you know this already, you're just being obtuse as usual.

dinostar77

I'm largely in favour if what Ole"s done, it's a huge improvement over the last three car crashes if nothing else.

I do however worry about our inconsistency at both ends of the pitch, along with our general lack if a winning mentality.

I wonder if the solution might be the hiring of a couple of top class coaches / assistants ala Quieroz, rather than a wholesale change if the management?

Fergie was (as with many things) an absolute master of this it seems, bringing in the right coaches to fill in the gaps in his knowledge and ability, freshening up stale setups every now and then.

Let's build on what's good here rather than throwing the baby out with the bath water is what I'm saying.
I agree. Quieroz did endless amounts of work with our defence around 06. That defence of Brown-Vidic-Ferdinand-Evra definitely has his blueprint on it.

A top defensive coach and tactical coach would be helpful.

Hawks2008

The latest line in the defence of Ole 'Fans are too concerned by first team results...everything is being done in the shadows' :lol:

We might not be able to see it or see any sort of result so far, but the work is being done in the shadows. Don't worry guys!
'Source: trust me bro'

GoldTrafford99

'Source: trust me bro'

Source, just look at the shake up of the entire academy since Ole came in; look at the amount of teenagers signed in the past two years, look at the names of the teenagers signed in the past two years,... or, if you want, just look at the current first team results and bitch and moan or do whatever it is you want to do.. ain't gonna change a thing, though, kid. Ole is here, with his long-term planning, for many more years to come...

Bet you wudda sacked Fergie in 1989 too, right?

GoldTrafford99

Give it a rest, man.

Needs to be said. And needs to be noted.

Imagine thinking you were a 'fan' of Manchester United, yet have never understood how we have had success throughout the club's entire history. If that's the case - as it seems to be for a lot of 'fans' on here - then you are not a fan or a supporter of this great football club, all you've done is chosen a team out of the many and decided you were gonna check their results every weekend... That's all you are. A 'follower'. You are not a 'supporter'. You are not a 'fan'.

Status
Not open for further replies.