Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Oracle

Let's call a spade a spade...

Ole was absolutely clueless in a European Final.

He even said, "We didn't turn up"

Why did the players that he manages, not turn up?

United in sin

It makes me sick to the stomach he's going to be rewarded with a fresh long term contract

croadyman

Again your sentiments resemble my own. There doesn't need to be excuses for Ole to say that he's done enough to be backed further but also that ultimately its disappointing to lose a final we should have won.

I don't think we need to spend anywhere near 300mil. I think we could get the 3 players we need for around 100-120mil. That's beside the point, everyone in the world can see our weaknesses and until he has the opportunity to address those, like Klopp had with Lpool, like Pep(a few times) had with City I'd hold off from saying he has to go. The next manager is going to come in and at the very least need to address those same areas before he's expected to win things.

Your opinions on the final are similar to mine too, I don't see it as black and white if you don't win you're useless. Even if we played horribly and lost I still wouldn't think that because throughout our European campaign we beat PSG, Leipzig, AC Milan & Socieded. We've proven we can beat big teams. We've proven we can get past a semi-final. We should have won that final but the whole tenure cannot be simply summed up with losing a final on penalties, when everyone but our keeper scored.

We should rightly criticise last nights performance but it quickly goes beyond judging moments or games on here.
Blimey I would be most intrigued to know who you reckon are the players needed that would cost around £120m

DiMaria

That's usually the case for the vast majority of football teams though. That's why they are squad players and not in the starting XI. I'm sure Villarreal's squad players aren't as good as their starting XI but they still made five subs and consequently looked fresher and were the better team in extra time.
I would argue that Villarreal’s bench was better or at least closer to their starting 11 than ours. Players like Alcacer for instance start regularly for them and was a name that when you look at their bench you could definitely see him coming on. When I looked at our bench I could not see one healthy outfield player we could bring on barring injuries or fatigue. In this sense it would have probably benefited us if fred was fully fit and we started with him then later brought greenwood on for instance.

Anyway in my opinion Solskjaer’s biggest mistake was that he did not bring henderson for ddg at the death when he brought on mata and telles. Prior to Wednesday, De Gea had conceded something like 30 penalties in a row for club and country while Henderson saved 5 from 19 (a good average of around 1 in 4). You’re supposed to know that one of your keepers is bad at saving penalties and the other is good. Penalty shootouts are not just about scoring, but also saving. I’m not sure if someone in the club compiles data on penalties but even i before the penalty shootout told my mate de gea is abysmal at saving penalties. So if I knew that then the staff surely should have also known. This together with Bruno opting to go second cost us that trophy unfortunately. I hope we learn from these avoidable mistakes and understand that little details make the difference in cup finals. Imagine if this was a CL final...

bsCallout

Blimey I would be most intrigued to know who you reckon are the players needed that would cost around £120m
Really depends how much Varane would cost with 1 year left, in any case It'd probably be more like 150mil. We could comfortably spend less than 100mil net.

Varane 45
Neves 35
Grealish 70

dove

Because the manager didn't turn up either. Sat on his seat as per usual and watched how the trophy is slipping from us while doing absolutely nothing to change that.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

He made two wrong decisions and he made them on sentiment. De Gea and Rashford should have been on the bench.

I expect him to learn and become more ruthless in future.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Because apart from Maguire, Bruno and Wan Bissaka who are contributing well, we could have barely spent it worse over the last 6 years.

You seriously think we've got a better squad than City?
If we had a better squad than City he wouldn't have faffed about over bringing subs on. This has been a problem all season. Yet I still believe if he had made the subs earlier we would have won, just because they would have brought more energy and something different. This indecisiveness is why I don't think Ole will take us much further. It isn't that he is some genius thinking things over, I think at times he is actually lost and doesn't know what to do.

tomaldinho1

My only comfort is knowing he won't (shouldn't) last more than another season unless he wins something. So it's a win win.
I honestly don’t know. There’s a real cloud hanging over the club right now and the Glazers will be happy with another top four finish.

What is more toxic long term - someone like Mou who riles everyone up, isolates players but wins things then leaves or a manager who tows the line, says the right stuff but we win nothing and just sail onwards, for years, talking about the mythical rebuild.

Personally the messaging it sends to stick with Ole when you look at his now decently long tenure and record/style of play is devoid of any accountability and is wholly because he is a former player.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It hurts me to see how much lack of respect our fans have for Solsjkaer. It’s frankly downright spoilt and disgusting

Olecurls99

For one Rashford and Martial were teenagers, and getting more out of Pogba than Mourinho is a pathetically low bar to clear. It’s not a zero sum proposition just because he’s done some things right doesn’t mean he’s the best man for the job, and just because he’s done better than Mourinho and LVG doesn’t mean there aren’t better managers out there. Marketing rather than football might be more your thing, but that’s ok too.
I was just responding to this idea that Ole is a terrible coach. If he was that bad surely he wouldn't have gotten us top 4 two years in a row. If he was as bad as some people make out we would have continued the decline after he took over.

He's improved the league position year on year whilst reducing the wage bill from 355 million to 270 million. I think he's doing a pretty good job and won't listen to guff about him being a terrible coach.

Olecurls99

I honestly don’t know. There’s a real cloud hanging over the club right now and the Glazers will be happy with another top four finish.

What is more toxic long term - someone like Mou who riles everyone up, isolates players but wins things then leaves or a manager who tows the line, says the right stuff but we win nothing and just sail onwards, for years, talking about the mythical rebuild.

Personally the messaging it sends to stick with Ole when you look at his now decently long tenure and record/style of play is devoid of any accountability and is wholly because he is a former player.
Here we go with style of play again.

I guarantee you if you swapped city's 4 wingers for our 4, our style of play would be better than theirs. We'd probably win the league too.

Mahrez, Sterling, Foden and Silva are far better technically than Rashford and James and 3 of them are far more experienced than Greenwood and Amad.

Players make styles. Managers choose players.

Give Ole Grealish and watch how our style improves massively.

Fluctuation0161

I still maintain that we should have won it this season.

No idea why fans think that the club with the 2nd biggest budget and the biggest net spend in the past few years should have no chance at getting the required points for the title.
Because the starting point for Ole was miles behind. I.e. the squad he inherited was in need of a massive overhaul.and had big weaknesses.

Before Ole Uniteds recruitment has been shite.

tomaldinho1

I guarantee you if you swapped city's 4 wingers for our 4, our style of play would be better than theirs. We'd probably win the league too.

Mahrez, Sterling, Foden and Silva are far better technically than Rashford and James and 3 of them are far more experienced than Greenwood and Amad.

Ole signed four players who sat on the bench in the final against a very average team.

This is the biggest issue I see with all you Ole inners. We need Sancho, we need Haaland, give me Varane and then you’ll see! See what exactly, it’s been 2.5 years. We have won nothing despite being in Europa for two of his seasons and going out against very winnable domestic teams (like Wolves) in the domestic cups.

He’s had big investments into an already strong team and we are so disjointed. I’m not saying we are more defensive than under Mou but we still don’t really play attacking football, we’re worse at pressing which is shocking when you consider the type of coach Mou is and we leak goals. Overall we are slightly more entertaining but it’s such a low bar. It’s like dating a 4/10 girl, then moving onto a 5/10 girl and just settling because it’s too much hassle to try something new.

I appreciate the work Ole has done is lifting Mou’s negativity but I see nothing encouraging me to think we’re on the cusp of challenging for the PL or CL.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I would like to see more rotation from him. If Utd invest heavily in the summer, which I think they will, then 21/22 will probably be his last if he fails to deliver silverware. He cant just stay in the job indefinitely without winning anything.

theklr

Think he was cowardly/ignorant with his lack of subs.

Still back him though, it was his and his players first final , and with key injuries it would always be a possible outcome when the players are so tired and facing a structured Spanish side .

I hope it will be a valuable lesson and he wins something next year, and if we get a CB and Sancho, he really has to in my opinion.

Just remember that Klopp did lose two finals before he finally guided them to glory.

Acquire Me

Think he was cowardly/ignorant with his lack of subs.

Still back him though, it was his and his players first final , and with key injuries it would always be a possible outcome when the players are so tired and facing a structured Spanish side .

I hope it will be a valuable lesson and he wins something next year, and if we get a CB and Sancho, he really has to in my opinion.

Just remember that Klopp did lose two finals before he finally guided them to glory.
I think Klopp lost about 6 finals in his managerial career. Still his top 3 managers in the world in my opinion.

That said, we need to learn from this. It’s no excuse if you can’t learn and kick on again. I think we all need to win some and lose some to learn. It’s the way of life and some of us manage to pick up pace again.

keithsingleton

It hurts me to see how much lack of respect our fans have for Solsjkaer. It’s frankly downright spoilt and disgusting
The truth sometimes hurts and that's the case with this one. Loyalty is one thing but common sense is another. Ole still learning his way as a manager and is far from the finished article. Must it be at United's expense we keep losing out till he becomes a top class manager, if that ever happens ? I have serious doubts he will ever be a world class manager which we deserve.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
The truth sometimes hurts and that's the case with this one. Loyalty is one thing but common sense is another. Ole still learning his way as a manager and is far from the finished article. Must it be at United's expense we keep losing out till he becomes a top class manager, if that ever happens ? I have serious doubts he will ever be a world class manager which we deserve.
There is a difference between level headed and justified critique and downright disrespectful bile, being a snide shit mongerer and masking it as "common sense" is one of the oldest tricks in the book of trolls (just to be clear, this is not aimed at you)

The most disrespectful fans i imagine, are either too young to have experienced him as a player and dont quite get why hes a club legend, or they are simply just too entitled and view their whole relationship with the club as some sort of transaction. They give support and expect success in return. Basically the "nice guys" of football fans

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
His sub making ability and the lack of trust he has in his squad, bar the mainstay players, is his major downfall. He’ll crash and burn if he can’t learn how to utilise his own squad.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Agree with the bold part: even though his results as a manger can be questioned, he gave a lot to our club, and picked us in a moment where we could had droped into the midtable spurs style.
But somehow he managed to motivate the players enough to guarantee top 4 football.

I can see his flaws, mainly when the team need to make a more elaborated build-up we totally look clueless on what to do, but insulting a club legend should give a ban on this forum.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Be careful what you wish for, we could easily sack him and end up like Arsenal or Spurs with another manager outside top 4 permanently after appointing a manager thats "cool" or "respected more". There are people to this day which think Arteta is a better manager for example. Ridiculous

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
That’s fine and an opinion.

people screaming and crying coward, clown, bottler, get out of the club etc are pathetic imo

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Agree with the bold part: even though his results as a manger can be questioned, he gave a lot to our club, and picked us in a moment where we could had droped into the midtable spurs style.
But somehow he managed to motivate the players enough to guarantee top 4 football.

I can see his flaws, mainly when the team need to make a more elaborated build-up we totally look clueless on what to do, but insulting a club legend should give a ban on this forum.
Fully agree

rotherham_red

It's a cesspit at times unfortunately and most of them were probably never around when he was a player here.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

You guys make it sound like hes doing us a favour.

stw2022

His ability to influence a game through tactical changes, substitutions or in response to what’s unfolding on the field literally does not exist.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
There is a difference between level headed and justified critique and downright disrespectful bile, being a snide shit mongerer and masking it as "common sense" is one of the oldest tricks in the book of trolls (just to be clear, this is not aimed at you)

The most disrespectful fans i imagine, are either too young to have experienced him as a player and dont quite get why hes a club legend, or they are simply just too entitled and view their whole relationship with the club as some sort of transaction. They give support and expect success in return. Basically the "nice guys" of football fans
This is also exactly my take on it

Handré1990

Good post. It’s entirely possible to not rate our manager without being a cnut about it.

stw2022

His sub making ability and the lack of trust he has in his squad, bar the mainstay players, is his major downfall. He’ll crash and burn if he can’t learn how to utilise his own squad.
I don’t think he trusts himself. Without calling out any individual player when was the last time you saw someone pulled off after having a nightmare.

I don’t think he trusts his instincts. We’ll finish the game with the same shape and approach (sometimes even personnel) as when we started regardless of how it has unfolded or who has and who hasn’t been performing.

Unless forced into making a change through injury I think his influence on the game ends the moment he hands the referee his team sheet.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Match going fans have all the respect in the world for him. It's just the entitled twitter fans who are toxic as feck and have no respect for any club legends or know anything about the history of the club.

We have so called United fans that think Ole was a shit player and only scored the winner in '99. fecking clueless.

And i guarantee you it wouldn't. We might have superior players to them and even beat them, but it would not be down to the way we play. It would be simply be down to having better individuals.

Pep for his faults is relentless in his pursuit of a particular style. So is Klopp. Both struggled at first but you could see the direction they were going in; Klopp with his relentless pressing and high intensity, Pep with his pressing and possession football.

Tell me. After two years in charge, what is Ole's style?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Be careful what you wish for, we could easily sack him and end up like Arsenal or Spurs with another manager outside top 4 permanently after appointing a manager thats "cool" or "respected more". There are people to this day which think Arteta is a better manager for example. Ridiculous
If Arteta ever gets a squad as good as ours then we can compare. It's like comparing Arteta to Ole at Cardiff, which would look equally daft for obvious reasons. But let's not pretend that Ole is a manager that achieves more with less. Quite the opposite actually.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
If Arteta ever gets a squad as good as ours then we can compare. It's like comparing Arteta to Ole at Cardiff, which would look equally daft for obvious reasons. But let's not pretend that Ole is a manager that achieves more with less. Quite the opposite actually.
Arsenal do not have a bad squad at all and should have done much better

pocco

loco
Match going fans have all the respect in the world for him. It's just the entitled twitter fans who are toxic as feck and have no respect for any club legends or know anything about the history of the club.

We have so called United fans that think Ole was a shit player and only scored the winner in '99. fecking clueless.
I'm a match going fan, home and away. I'll still give my opinion on Ole as a coach because my mindset isn't the of a hopeless romantic but as one that deals in reality and what's best for the club, not Ole. He might finish 5th or 6th next season and get sacked, I'll still respect him for what he did for us but that's about it and all it should be.

pocco

loco
Arsenal do not have a bad squad at all and should have done much better
It's terrible. Look at their defence in the EL semis. Burnley had a better defence. Piss poor midfield. Ageing attackers and some strikers that are inconsistent and flatter to deceive. If we had that squad I dread to think where we'd finish. Every team above them has a better squad, though West Ham is debatable.

I think Saka was their player of the season quite comfortably. Imagine if Greenwood was comfortably our player of the season, at his age.

Status
Not open for further replies.