Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxbatt

What a load of bull. He messed up big time in his game management and not taking off DeGea for the penalties.

Rake

Didn't post last night because I thought I`m too affected and wanted to calm down a bit. Looking back, can't say my feeling have changed

Ole`s game management last night was outright spineless and cowardly. He just refuses to substitute star players performing badly. While people will say that we lack quality on the bench, I`d argue that we are so poorly coached that we have to mostly rely on individual brilliance to get us out of tight matches. It's quite ironic that someone who was an impact sub for years, does not want to make any substitutions to influence games.

So, if his game management is poor, game tactics are quite vague and he doesn't coach the players, he is not really a manager, is he? He is probably ideal for DOF or something, but not a manager.

I have absolutely no belief that he can take us to the next level. Although we have improved from previous years, i think we are as high as Ole can take us. He has laid some decent groundwork but we must move on now.

Olecurls99

I’ve put this post in the end of season review thread, but I‘m just going to cut/paste it here simply because it belongs here as much as it does in the other thread:

As a somewhat dispassionate observer and having watched my own side go through decades in the wilderness after a prolonged period of success not dissimilar to united’s travails post Ferguson, just a few points -

1) last night’s game was a collective failure not to dispatch Villarreal in normal time rather than anything to do with de gea’s inability to save penalties which is guff - as the Swiss ramble points out, this is truly David vs Goliath stuff with Utd having quadruple or more Villarreal’s turnover, wage bill, squad value etc.

2) the answer absolutely isn’t to spend hundreds of millions seeking marginal gains on the right wing or in midfield or in defence by buying a sancho or a Kane or a grealish. That’s just lazy and basically a game of roulette throwing good money after bad and hoping some of it sticks.

3) You have plenty of world class or potentially world class players that a number of top managers would be licking their lips at having the opportunity to work with - rashford, martial, greenwood, cavani, fernandes, pogba, de gea, maguire all fall into this category. Only Fernandes and cavani are playing at what would be considered par for their level.

4) around these players you have a number of pretty decent players who would sure as hell be elevated if they were playing for a coach who could extract the maximum and have a coherent plan - fred, mctominay, shaw etc are exactly the sort of tenacious players with a modicum of skill who’d be a mainstay in a decent klopp side for example.

5) the glaring weak link here is your manager. I recognise this isn’t a popular opinion on here, but having ole as your manager is like us playing Rhys Williams in defence, midfield and attack and hoping to make it work. It just won’t. He’s far below the level of the players he’s coaching and whatever progress you’ve seen is purely down to the individual skill of your world class players rather than any coherent plan.

6) it would be criminal negligence if your owners aren’t looking to upgrade your manager when the likes of conte are available. The upgrade from Greenwood or martial to Sancho will be a few more goals or assists and will cost you nearly £100m. The upgrade from OGS to conte revolutionises the club, tactical setup, playing environment etc and costs precisely zero.
Hmmm

Why couldn't these players perform for the world class Jose Mourinho or Louis Van Gaal? Rashford, Pogba, Martial. Please explain

If Ole is such a nothing manager then how come these lads have played their best stuff for united under him rather than a Champions league winning manager?

Luke Shaw too. Seems like Ole is doing something right.

Makelele

3 semis lost. One 1/4 lost. One final lost. Zero trophies. And he gets new contract.
We sacked two proven managers after one bad half season but giving new contract to serial loser. Unbelievable.
Cup competitions are wholly unpredictable. Best judge of performance is the league and Ole has United second. Serial losers certainly sounds quite harsh. Maybe a 3 year contract would be too much but sacking him would be ruthless. The kind this forum criticises clubs like Chelsea for doing constantly.

Foxbatt

Cup competitions are wholly unpredictable. Best judge of performance is the league and Ole has United second. Serial losers certainly sounds quite harsh. Maybe a 3 year contract would be too much but sacking him would be ruthless. The kind this forum criticises clubs like Chelsea for doing constantly.
I do not think most people here would be upset with a rolling contract.

Foxbatt

Hmmm

Why couldn't these players perform for the world class Jose Mourinho or Louis Van Gaal? Rashford, Pogba, Martial. Please explain

If Ole is such a nothing manager then how come these lads have played their best stuff for united under him rather than a Champions league winning manager?

All of them have won more under those two than under Ole.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
3 semis lost. One 1/4 lost. One final lost. Zero trophies. And he gets new contract.
We sacked two proven managers after one bad half season but giving new contract to serial loser. Unbelievable.
The standards at the club have been on a downward spiral for years. This is just putting the nails in the coffin.

I do like Ole, but this is really as far as he takes us.

el3mel

Hmmm

You realize that Martial also played well for LVG, and that he had just had his worst season for us, under Ole ?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
True and yet we couldn’t beat the Spain’s 7th best team.

I don’t know what you are trying to argue? Ole’s bang average. Anyone arguing that good luck to you.
That’s such an arrogant thing to say. Even Fergies greatest teams came undone against the unfancied teams

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
And still some clubs/managers win cups/finals regulary. And yes, when you lose 4 or 5 semis and finals in a row, you are serial loser. Just the same when you win stuff in a row, you become serial winner. Ole won nothing so far. Nothing. So how to call him to avoid that his fans don't get offended? One who did his best? Sacking manager after 3 seasons is not ruthless. Most managers don't get thst much time.

And about Chelsea; well, with their ruthless policy they are doing pretty good, aren't they?

RedStarUnited

Form wise, had he started with Rashford on the bench, not many United fans would have been too bothered. And he would have given himself a potential game changer to come on incase things were not going well.

Does he also realise we dont have to pay the same formation? If you play 75 minutes and things are not quite working out then surely you try something else before the games over?

Eddy_JukeZ

We're going nowhere if we just hand out long term contracts at a whim.

We're pretty much Arsenal now.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Hes still done better than both of those "proven managers". LvG spent a fortune and left behind a worse squad than he inherited, 4th and 5th in the league in a period where both Livepool and City were shite compared to today, all while playing dreaful football.

Jose did decently enough, but he tried to burn the house down and he had to go. If we had not sacked him things could have been much worse'

"Serial loser". So unless you win all the cups you participate in your a serial loser?
When i said that he must win ALL cups? He didn't won any single cup, ffs.
And he has done better than Lvg and Jose? Wtf? When? How? In what?

Mainoldo

That’s such an arrogant thing to say. Even Fergies greatest teams came undone against the unfancied teams
In a final?

Like there’s an excuse for everything. Eventually we might run out. I’m all for balanced arguments. But come on man. This is borrowed time now. Only us and Arsenal are left running unprofessional.

Robbie Boy

@RedSky you have always been a pretty rational 'Ole in' poster. So I want to ask you this: What are your expectations for next season and at what point do you lose faith in this project?

I'm supporting him going into next season, but our end of season form and the manner in which we lost last night is very disappointing. I fear next season is going to be very tough on all fronts.

bsCallout

@RedSky you have always been a pretty rational 'Ole in' poster. So I want to ask you this: What are your expectations for next season and at what point do you lose faith in this project?

I'm supporting him going into next season, but our end of season form and the manner in which we lost last night is very disappointing. I fear next season is going to be very tough on all fronts.
I know it wasn't directed at me, just to counter the question, how good does Ole have to do domestically for you to continue supporting him?

What always seems to be ignored is just how strong Chelsea, City & Liverpool are. Two of them have the best two managers in the world. Two of them are much better financed than us. All of them have an older(more experienced) squad than ours.

I never said he was useless.

I think his maximum is top 4 qualification and decent runs at Domestic Cups. He's a good top 4 manager(maybe the perfect manager for the Glazers).

We will never challenge for top trophies and win under Ole. There's been enough time to see what kind of manager he is. He's done a decent job getting morale/chemistry back on track. We need someone better to actually win trophies.
I think Ole is better than some give him credit for, but at the same time our starting 11 is amongst the best there is and could be challenging for the title or reaching the QF/SF. Our squad is also decent and better than Liverpool in regards to dept It seems like any win, cup run, or finishing second it attributed entirely to Ole and every thing bad is “ohh well he has a crap squad”

No team is full of superstars from 1-11...look at City, when they struggled early this season it was very easy to say “Stones isn’t good enough” “ Rodri isn’t suited to the Prem” “Dias was a bad signing” but the minute they do well and win the league, those players suddenly become world class.

Every great team has those types of players.... at Liverpool it’s players like Henderson, Wijnaldum, probably their CB other than VVD,

At United it’s our CB’s, Fred/McTominay.

At Chelsea, as i remember when Lampard was floundering, most of their summer signings were called “average”

Some players always look quality even if they are playing for a losing team, some players I call scapegoat players, they look average/crap when the team is losing but they could easily fit into a successful team and peoples opinions of them would change.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Depends on the level of investment really. But we need to be hitting 80+ points in the league irrespective of cup runs. Make it past the CL group stages as well.

Yesterday evening is by far the most i've disagreed with Oles decisions, from the starting lineup all he way to subs. Unacceptable from start to finish. Either way, I still trust him with the rebuild process but results need to continue to improve. Personally, I hope we get an experienced coach to help with training the squad and tactics.

Robbie Boy

I know it wasn't directed at me, just to counter the question, how good does Ole have to do domestically for you to continue supporting him?

What always seems to be ignored is just how strong Chelsea, City & Liverpool are. Two of them have the best two managers in the world. Two of them are much better financed than us. All of them have an older(more experienced) squad than ours.
I posted the below on 07 May and my thoughts haven't deviated much: I think leaving him in contact limbo is a dangerous game to play, and I would have no issue giving him a new contract provided there's clauses.

To be honest, I'm sold on him getting a new contract. I doubted some of this 'slow progress' stuff as fluff - but now I can see what people meant, and fair play to those people that could see what I couldn't!

This season, I really feel like we have made good, steady progress overall. I did have my doubts at times, but generally I was pretty happy. He achieved all of the 'progress goals' that I wanted to see and I'm sold on his project. It'll take time, and while I can genuinely see a title push next season, I certainly don't 'expect' us to win it. I'm loving life under Ole just now and a cup win would be fantastic - I mean, just seeing him lift a cup as our manager would be such a nice moment. I would hate if we ended up with more managerial upheaval next season, and I really want him to succeed here.

I had massive doubts especially circa Sept to Dec 2019. But since around Jan 2020, up until maybe early this year, I've been happy but never fully convinved by him, to be completely honest. Our run post-COVID last season was amazing, but the football felt very 'gung ho' and not sustainable. Since then, we play as a far more solid unit while still getting the best out of Bruno. His signings overall, have been good and hopefully we see some more youth integrated into squad roles next season. Things are going well and yeah, he's rather good at this managerial lark!

bsCallout

I think Ole is better than some give him credit for, but at the same time our starting 11 is amongst the best there is and could be challenging for the title or reaching the QF/SF. Our squad is also decent and better than Liverpool in regards to dept It seems like any win, cup run, or finishing second it attributed entirely to Ole and every thing bad is “ohh well he has a crap squad”

No team is full of superstars from 1-11...look at City, when they struggled early this season it was very easy to say “Stones isn’t good enough” “ Rodri isn’t suited to the Prem” “Dias was a bad signing” but the minute they do well and win the league, those players suddenly become world class.

Every great team has those types of players.... at Liverpool it’s players like Henderson, Wijnaldum, probably their CB other than VVD,

At United it’s our CB’s, Fred/McTominay.

At Chelsea, as i remember when Lampard was floundering, most of their summer signings were called “average”

Some players always look quality even if they are playing for a losing team, some players I call scapegoat players, they look average/crap when the team is losing but they could easily fit into a successful team and peoples opinions of them would change.
Did you just claim that every win is attributed to Ole and every loss is down to the quality of squad? It couldn't be more the opposite on this forum.

Robbie Boy

Depends on the level of investment really. But we need to be hitting 80+ points in the league irrespective of cup runs. Make it past the CL group stages as well.

Yesterday evening is by far the most i've disagreed with Oles decisions, from the starting lineup all he way to subs. Unacceptable from start to finish. Either way, I still trust him with the rebuild process but results need to continue to improve. Personally, I hope we get an experienced coach to help with training the squad and tactics.
Fair enough, I'm kind of in the same place.

golden_blunder

Staff
In a final?

Like there’s an excuse for everything. Eventually we might run out. I’m all for balanced arguments. But come on man. This is borrowed time now. Only us and Arsenal are left running unprofessional.
Yes in finals too. For example v sheff wed in a rum belies cup final

I’m just tired of all the moaning because of a result. If we had won last night it would be a different story this morning

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
When i said that he must win ALL cups? He didn't won any single cup, ffs.
And he has done better than Lvg and Jose? Wtf? When? How? In what?
And hes had two full seasons...

Jose might have won the EL and got more points one season, but he left the club in complete shambles, his tenure here was incredibly damaging for the club. If i really have to explain why hes done better than LvG then i suggest you take a walk and get some fresh air

bsCallout

I posted the below on 07 May and my thoughts haven't deviated much, I think leaving him in contact limbo is a dangerous game to play. and I would have no issue giving him a new contract provided there's clauses.
Think we pretty much feel the same about him. As mentioned though, it cannot be ignored just how strong our domestic rivals are, I don't think SAF every faced such a tough domestic challenge(the top four with top managers, great squads and big funds).

He'sRaldo

Ed Woodward has been learning on the job since he took over.

In that time he hired Ole, a manager who has never succeeded at top level before, and has had to learn on the job.

Once Ole was hired, he made a decision to stick with and bring in coaches who are very new to and unproven at the highest level. Coaches who are also learning on the job.

In addition, he has also bought and trusted in players who have had little to no success at the highest level. Maguire, AWB, James, Ighalo, Bruno, etc. These players are trying to learn quickly how to win, from coaches who have never done so before.

Looking at it from afar, it seems all the personnel at the club from the top down are trying to learn on the job how to win trophies with no guidance from a proven top level figure, and so far have failed woefully.

But really, is it such a surprise? What other outcome did we expect?

el3mel

I’m just tired of all the moaning because of a result. If we had won last night it would be a different story this morning
Yeah, except we didn't. We should have beaten Villareal without having the game reaching pens to start with. They're not anywhere close to us and they didn't even play a good game as some seem to think. We lost because of our mistakes.

Robbie Boy

Think we pretty much feel the same about him. As mentioned though, it cannot be ignored just how strong our domestic rivals are, I don't think SAF every faced such a tough domestic challenge(the top four with top managers, great squads and big funds).
While I agree fully with you, I do find some of the excuses on here to be nauseating. I feel for some, they will exonerate Ole unless we spend 300 odd million.

I also posted the below on 07 May, and again, my thoughts remain the same after last night:

:lol:

Funniest thing is this: We win it and the 'ins' will be running wild telling everyone this is progress while the outs will say it's 'only a tin pot cup'.

We lose and the 'ins' will say that it doesn't matter it was the 'only a tin pot cup' while the outs will use it as a stick to beat Ole with.

I already know the posters from both sides who are setting the wheels in motion for either scenario. For me, I said at the start of the season that part of progression would be reaching a cup final/winning it - just reaching the final is mission accomplished and losing a one-off final can happen.

In saying that, I would obviously be disappointed if we don't win it. I feel it'll be a great platform to build upon, and my belief is that success breeds a successful, winning mentality. Ole, by his own admissions focuses a-lot on man management/squad harmony, and I believe this bunch of lads winning something together will be a good platform for us to build upon for future success. Going into next season after finishing second and being EL winners will bring a real confidence to the squad. It's not a major cup obviously, but it would be great to see Ole as our manager lift a trophy and winning cups, leagues etc. is what it's all about. Obviously losing in the final doesn't negate all the good work we done to get there. But I admit I enjoyed our EL win under Jose - it was one of the good nights under his tutelage.

Overall, winning it changes very little for Ole in a-lot of ways but I truly believe we can use it as a platform to build on.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

What starting line up would you have gone with?

bsCallout

While I agree fully with you, I do find some of the excuses on here to be nauseating. I feel for some, they will exonerate Ole unless we spend 300 odd million.

I also posted the below on 07 May, and again, my thoughts remain the same after last night:
Again your sentiments resemble my own. There doesn't need to be excuses for Ole to say that he's done enough to be backed further but also that ultimately its disappointing to lose a final we should have won.

I don't think we need to spend anywhere near 300mil. I think we could get the 3 players we need for around 100-120mil. That's beside the point, everyone in the world can see our weaknesses and until he has the opportunity to address those, like Klopp had with Lpool, like Pep(a few times) had with City I'd hold off from saying he has to go. The next manager is going to come in and at the very least need to address those same areas before he's expected to win things.

Your opinions on the final are similar to mine too, I don't see it as black and white if you don't win you're useless. Even if we played horribly and lost I still wouldn't think that because throughout our European campaign we beat PSG, Leipzig, AC Milan & Socieded. We've proven we can beat big teams. We've proven we can get past a semi-final. We should have won that final but the whole tenure cannot be simply summed up with losing a final on penalties, when everyone but our keeper scored.

We should rightly criticise last nights performance but it quickly goes beyond judging moments or games on here.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Yeah, except we didn't. We should have beaten Villareal without having the game reaching pens to start with. They're not anywhere close to us and they didn't even play a good game as some seem to think. We lost because of our mistakes.
To be fair, they planned to park the buss and they did so very well. No doubt we shit the bed, but as far as bus parking go that was a prime example.

We shit the bed when we conceded from a FK 40? yards out

golden_blunder

Staff
Mistakes happen, boo hoo. I hate to get grumpy but get over yourselves. We don’t win by just turning up. Sometimes we will be beaten

el3mel

To be fair, they planned to park the buss and they did so very well. No doubt we shit the bed, but as far as bus parking go that was a prime example.

We shit the bed when we conceded from a FK 40? yards out
Their bus they parked was actually shit. I honestly didn't see any brilliant defending from them. They made ton of mistakes at the back and we didn't benefit from them at all. They were even doing stupid back passes at the back. The entire match I felt they were barely just hanging there.

I have seen sides who defended better than us in the league.

I knew it wasn't going to be an easy final, but what I saw from Villareal was the reason I think the loss was worse than how it even looks like. They really didn't have a good game at all. We just made it easy for them.

Look at how Rashford was just trying to take on his defender every single time he receives the ball. It's no surprise the defender ended up putting him in his pocket.

el3mel

Mistakes happen, boo hoo. I hate to get grumpy but get over yourselves. We don’t win by just turning up. Sometimes we will be beaten
This would also be fine if not for the fact we have been 4 years without a single trophy and bottled ton of chances to win one over these 4 years, 2.5 ones of them under the current manager.

So yeah, unfortunately for me it wasn't just yesterday. Yesterday just came and strengthened the fact that our current team is fecking bottlers when it matters the most.

Mainoldo

Not for me it wouldn’t. We started in the champions league and ending up in the Europa with the biggest budget in the competition yet we still couldn’t win it. We literally entering the competition like Real Madrid entering the Championship.

Sheffield Wednesday probably before my time I’m a late 80’s baby.

He'sRaldo

Sticking with Ole could get risky for us very soon.

In order to show the hottest prospects in the world right now that we are still one of the top dogs, it's imperative to win the PL or CL with this group of players. And I don't see us doing so with Ole. If we drift and drift and end up losing our best players and relying on subpar players, we could very quickly end up in a pretty bad situation where our reputation (which we've dined on post SAF) can't save us anymore.

Right now we haven't won a major title in almost a decade, and are currently being carried by our top players. If a few of them lose faith in the project and leave, and the only thing we can attract players with is money, we could very quickly see ourselves ending up in an "Arsenal under Wenger" situation.

Thankfully unlike Arsenal we would still have money due to our huge brand, but what's the use of that if we can never attract/hold on to the top top players who are more focused on winning trophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.