Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud7

I agree.Allegri is a good tactician. I think he needs to throw more caution to the wind on occasions,like how he got Juve set-up against A.Madrid.
My feeling is I dont want to watch a United side offer up the likely football Allegri will bring . We've had two previous managers who've given the United fanbase some of the most dour uninspiring football we can remember.
Allegri is tactically good. Simeone is tactically good. I still wouldn’t want them within a 5 mile radius of Old Trafford unless it’s in the opposition dugout though. A united manager should always be, first and foremost, about positive football.

EwanI Ted

He's earned it tbf, he could hardly have done any more. But I wont deny I still have slight reservations. On the pitch, he's shown he has what it takes but what United need now is someone with a long term vision for the entire club and the experience and ability to get us there. Ole's not really had the chance to show us that, he's been too busy firefighting, so I won't say he doesnt have such a vision for us. Rather its that we haven't really had chance to hear much about it. I just hope he convinced the Board he does and they've appointed him on that basis, and not just on the feelgood factor of the last few months.

Irrational.

Fully deserved. Immensely likeable man, has won the fans over, got the players playing for him and the media seem to be on his side too. He's completely changed the atmosphere around OT and long may it continue. :drool:

For the doubters, who expected us to be in the last 8 of the CL and fighting for top four on December 19th after we'd been walloped by Liverpool? He has exceeded expectations and thoroughly deserves the contract.

Also a bit bemused by the number of "but what about a DoF" posts on here. I don't even know what one does :lol: - but I'm sure one will be appointed at the right time. Small steps.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Why now? What happens if the season goes to shit between now and May, will he still be the man to take us forward then?

Another example of the how poorly run the club is tbh

Because now they can start working on transfer targets for next season.
I think it's good timing, and most people knew it would happen anyway, why delay it?

With the good mood in the squad, this might make it easier to renew the contracts of players aswell.

littlepeasoup

Good news for him.i'm not happy,am not angry, I'm just lukewarm towards the announcement.

Is this the right decision? ole has won a good amount of games however since the Cardiff match we haven't really played with a clear pattern.we made history in paris but it felt like it was psg throwing the game away than us actually winning it.its kinda like Jose second season while we were playing poorly we were winning and then everything imploded after the new contract. solkjaer seems like a nice guy and a good coach but after our recent performances and our last two games I can't help but worry.we aren't in a position where we can afford to make mistakes so I hope this appointment works out.
Sorry mate, you lost me here. You're saying since his first game we haven't played with a clear pattern or direction?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Thought there was something happening, Phelan tweeted the other day about wanting to combine both his jobs if he could and the molde new season starts end of the month

Ventura

I don't have any reservations, I'm just so nervous, I want him to be a great success.

simplyared

Great feeling having a united man at the helm as opposed to getting Poch, Allegri, Simone or anybody else.
And yes he's not the finished product but I feel sure he'll thrive in the role and become even better. Perfect for the club!

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Great news. Ole's been given the wheel permanently. Proper chuffed with the news.

Patrick08

Will be very interested to see Ole's activity in the transfer market assuming he is getting backing. There isn't a prior history of him managing a big club, so we don't really have an idea of his big money signings other than the obvious Sancho target. Interesting times for sure.
I hope the structural changes are not over yet, because ole will not stand up to Woodward and glazers and demand money and signings.

Without that structural change I don't think united can ever work that efficiently like it worked under SAF.

tomaldinho1

This is, sadly, a prime example of why Neville has evolved into a crap pundit. That comment is nothing more than a dig and has nothing to do with LVG's comment re Ole's brand vs Jose's. I actually think LVG is right in that not much has changed tactically aside from freeing up Pogba, we are still a counter attacking team but with happier players who will actually try for the manager now. I'm hoping Ole has a plan for summer that will allow us to tweak our system and allow us to play more possession based football against the stronger clubs, not saying we need to become a wannabe Barca but we don't have it in our locker currently.

Congrats to Ole - it is deserved given the upturn in form and I can only imagine the timing is due to needing to start speaking with players re transfers - anyone inbound will want to know who the manager is going to be next season so at least now we know how we're moving forwards.

OleTheGreat

We now need to use the rest of the season to sort out the other problems at the club. Get a few fantastic players in and let's go for the dream next season. I can't wait for the summer. It's gonna clear all our issues and we're gonna have a top top team next season. Prove yourselves at the club or it will be time for you to go. Matic, Bailly, Dalot, Fred, Sanchez and Lukaku have to step it up in the coming games to have a real shot next season or we need to look for replacements and let the dead weight go!

Finally we can say, we're confident of a real improvement after 5 years of disappointment.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Good news. Think it will take a while to get it right - it won't be plain sailing. But I'd rather try it the right way than the wrong way.

JonDahl

This is a great time to appoint him.

Since Ferguson left, we dither in the transfer market and end up buying crap and overpaying. Ole will know it’s better to get business done early - he can start having a proper input on targets now

Fixture wise, we can lose to Barca and be out of the CL, and mess up against any combination of Everton away, City home, Chelsea home and be out of the Top 4. Then all the glory hunters will be back out saying he’s not good enough and we need Pochettino. The appointment allows us to ignore the inevitable dissenting glory hunter voices.

Delighted!

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I actually think LVG is right in that not much has changed tactically aside from freeing up Pogba, we are still a counter attacking team but with happier players who will actually try for the manager now.
Don't agree. LVG was obsessed with possession and playing things sideways and backwards. Ole is much more attacking.

tomaldinho1

Don't agree. LVG was obsessed with possession and playing things sideways and backwards. Ole is much more attacking.
Think you need to read my post again. LVG tactics not under discussion, it's his comments re Jose tactics vs Ole's

littlepeasoup

I hope the structural changes are not over yet, because ole will not stand up to Woodward and glazers and demand money and signings.

Without that structural change I don't think united can ever work that efficiently like it worked under SAF.
I'm definitely with you with regards to the structure at the club. Get everything in place to set Ole up for success. That being said, I think Ole's got far more clout than some people give him credit for. He'll absolutely have the backing of SAF and Sir Bobby, who both obviously still have sway at the club and he's adored by the fans. I can't see either fans or pundits for that matter turning on him the same way they turned on Jose or LvG.

If we don't get signings through the door this summer, it won't be because Ole didn't push hard enough (we've seen how that turned out when Jose wanted signings last year) it'll all be on Ed.

RedIan

Ole has been a breath of fresh air after years of stale with Jose and van gaal. Well deserved appointment. There is still rebuilding to be done, back his judgement now and lets get it rocking next season.

Congrats Ole.

OleTheGreat

Can we stop this now, and especially in here. One of the absolute best things about Ole being appointed manager is Poch the overrated will not be at United for the foreseeable future (if ever)

He's either going to stay at spurs or go to Madrid.

So how about just having a thread with some positivity, some congratulations and nice messages to Ole. Let's leave the Poch rubbish to another thread.

Congrats Ole! This news made my day and I'm chuffed for the lad. Couldn't happen to a nicer or more deserving bloke!
Madrid now have Zidane back and so i feel Poch will stay at Spurs for at least a couple more seasons. We'll back Ole in the summer like we did Moyes, LVG and Mourinho in their respective first summers but Ole will make smart choices and bring in appropriate players at the right positions and play fluid football next season. We gonna go for the lot next season!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Great news.

I'm glad we got this appointment confirmed before the end of the season as it gives Ole time to prepare for a busy summer transfer window.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
I don't get this "huge gamble" talk. We've gone for proven quality, like Van Gaal and Jose, and look where it got us. Under Solskjaer it's been our best period ever since Fergie retired. Every managerial change is a gamble. Would getting Pochettino be any less of a gamble than contuining with a caretaker manager who's been doing so well here? Yeah there's every chance Solskjaer might not be the right man for us in the long run, but I'd rather find out than gamble on yet another manager.
As it happens I think there were problems with both the Van Gaal and Mourinho appointments when you made them. Van Gaal left Bayern under a cloud and the football they were playing had drawn quite a lot of criticism - they finished 3rd in his final season behind Dortmund and Leverkusen. And as far as I'm concerned you only hired Mourinho because we hired Pep, as some kind of direct response to reignite the rivalry between them. He'd been sacked by Chelsea with them trapped in the bottom half of the table and managers like him only have a limited shelf life. How managers join you is often how they leave you and that's exactly what happened with those two.

I see no reason why Ole can't work as United manager. I want him to work well as United manager. As I've said, he seems like a genuinely humble guy who's just grateful to be back at United. He's got your talented players working how they should in ways Mourinho never did, and it seems like an exciting time to be a United fan at the moment. But there have been signs that the football he plays isn't completely sustainable, both on a game-by-game basis and in terms of player fitness, and I'm intrigued to see how long that carries on. I'm also interested in seeing how you approach transfers, whether the club will make the decisions or allow Ole to flex your financial muscles. It's going to be interesting to watch.

wolvored

Good luck Ole. Is this the first time an old player has managed us? Let's hope it's a good omen like pep and zidane, although they took over world class teams.

Northstand

Thinking about it, the timing makes a lot of sense. There's a very real chance we could have a few duff results in the coming weeks. Crash out of Europe and lose the battle for top four. None of which I would put down to Ole. It's an incredibly tough run of fixtures and he hasn't signed a single player. He's already gone above and beyond expectations so a few "par" results shouldn't be reason to change our mind about how suitable he is for the job. By giving him the job now, it will remove whatever pressure their might be to not offer him a permanent job if it turns out the damage done by the previous manager runs too deep for Ole to fully turn things round in his first half season in charge. It's easy to forget how unfeasible a top four finish seemed when Jose got sacked. We'll need to make an effort to remind ourselves of this in April/May.
Great point

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This is, sadly, a prime example of why Neville has evolved into a crap pundit. That comment is nothing more than a dig and has nothing to do with LVG's comment re Ole's brand vs Jose's. I actually think LVG is right in that not much has changed tactically aside from freeing up Pogba, we are still a counter attacking team but with happier players who will actually try for the manager now. I'm hoping Ole has a plan for summer that will allow us to tweak our system and allow us to play more possession based football against the stronger clubs, not saying we need to become a wannabe Barca but we don't have it in our locker currently.

Congrats to Ole - it is deserved given the upturn in form and I can only imagine the timing is due to needing to start speaking with players re transfers - anyone inbound will want to know who the manager is going to be next season so at least now we know how we're moving forwards.
Did you even read the tweet you’re commenting on? He’s comparing our style under Ole with what we saw under Van Gaal. Which is obviously very different.

The difference with Jose’s approach is not quite as obvious but it’s still clearly different. Mainly because we’re seeing a hell of a lot less route one football. That was the worst thing about the first half of this season. So many massive punts upfield. Something we hardly ever see under Ole.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
feckin hell. Not that I'm against Ole appointment but couldn't the board wait till season end?
I'm in the same boat. I think we should've waited until the end of the season. If we wanted to do it so we can prepare for transfer targets, why not appoint a DOF now?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Thinking about it, the timing makes a lot of sense. There's a very real chance we could have a few duff results in the coming weeks. Crash out of Europe and lose the battle for top four. None of which I would put down to Ole. It's an incredibly tough run of fixtures and he hasn't signed a single player. He's already gone above and beyond expectations so a few "par" results shouldn't be reason to change our mind about how suitable he is for the job. By giving him the job now, it will remove whatever pressure their might be to not offer him a permanent job if it turns out the damage done by the previous manager runs too deep for Ole to fully turn things round in his first half season in charge. It's easy to forget how unfeasible a top four finish seemed when Jose got sacked. We'll need to make an effort to remind ourselves of this in April/May.

Good point raised here.

It will also give players some clarity on near future ie ddg pogba and incoming players as well.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
With the success Ole has got so far I think it'd been an even bigger gamble to again go for a change and appoint a new manager. I don't think the board could have made any other choice really.

OleTheGreat

Negatives
- Distraction during a crucial top four race
- Too early to know if OGS will cut it at the top level. Could've waited until after the Barca games.
- Weird that he gets the position after two losses in a row. If they had already decided to appoint him, why didn't they announce before? Was there something good in our two losses that they hadn't seen before that tipped the decision? This just further sends out a message that the club rewards failure/mediocrity which is what has been happening with player contracts the last few years.
- If he fails between now and the end of the season, it will cost us more money to sack him. Was there a negative in waiting? It's not like signing him up early saves us any money?

Positives
- No Poch
What is the matter with you? Rewarding mediocrity. Winning so many games and trying to play positive football is not mediocrity. Also in the last 2 games, the game against Arsenal was not our fault. We had many chances but it didn't go our way. Wolves however, i agree. It could've been better. This is a reward for the transformation he has bought in our lives since his appointment.

Even if he fails miserably from here to the end of the season, i'd think it would be better than any manager that can handle this team and this club at the moment. Have some mercy for the greatest manager since SAF. He's going to resurrect the great club that we are. You'll be sorry that you said we rewarded failure/mediocrity when we win titles very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.