Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainu

As it happens I think there were problems with both the Van Gaal and Mourinho appointments when you made them. Van Gaal left Bayern under a cloud and the football they were playing had drawn quite a lot of criticism - they finished 3rd in his final season behind Dortmund and Leverkusen. And as far as I'm concerned you only hired Mourinho because we hired Pep, as some kind of direct response to reignite the rivalry between them. He'd been sacked by Chelsea with them trapped in the bottom half of the table and managers like him only have a limited shelf life. How managers join you is often how they leave you and that's exactly what happened with those two.

I see no reason why Ole can't work as United manager. I want him to work well as United manager. As I've said, he seems like a genuinely humble guy who's just grateful to be back at United. He's got your talented players working how they should in ways Mourinho never did, and it seems like an exciting time to be a United fan at the moment. But there have been signs that the football he plays isn't completely sustainable, both on a game-by-game basis and in terms of player fitness, and I'm intrigued to see how long that carries on. I'm also interested in seeing how you approach transfers, whether the club will make the decisions or allow Ole to flex your financial muscles. It's going to be interesting to watch.
I don't disagree with you here, but nothing in this post backs up your earlier point that it's a huge gamble. Or at least more of a gamble than getting any other manager in.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This is, sadly, a prime example of why Neville has evolved into a crap pundit. That comment is nothing more than a dig and has nothing to do with LVG's comment re Ole's brand vs Jose's. I actually think LVG is right in that not much has changed tactically aside from freeing up Pogba, we are still a counter attacking team but with happier players who will actually try for the manager now. I'm hoping Ole has a plan for summer that will allow us to tweak our system and allow us to play more possession based football against the stronger clubs, not saying we need to become a wannabe Barca but we don't have it in our locker currently.

Congrats to Ole - it is deserved given the upturn in form and I can only imagine the timing is due to needing to start speaking with players re transfers - anyone inbound will want to know who the manager is going to be next season so at least now we know how we're moving forwards.
Not sure whats crap about it... you can make a reasonable argument for who the football was worse under out of Moyes, LVG and Jose... it'll differ from person to person.

tomaldinho1

Did you even read the tweet you’re commenting on? He’s comparing our style under Ole with what we saw under Van Gaal. Which is obviously very different.

The difference with Jose’s approach is not quite as obvious but it’s still clearly different. Mainly because we’re seeing a hell of a lot less route one football. That was the worst thing about the first half of this season. So many massive punts upfield. Something we hardly ever see under Ole.
I think you also need to reread my comment...

"I saw Louis van Gaal say that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's football is the same as Jose Mourinho's. Louis van Gaal's football at @ManUtd was the worst I've ever seen."

Not sure if you read it but he's referring to LVG's recent interview (which was pretty interesting). My point is structurally our system is pretty similar with Ole as it was with Mou (which is what LVG is saying) but there are some differences like wing backs, Pogba being freed up and, most importantly, player's attitudes improving.

Morpheus 7

Fantastic news, at this moment in time Ole seems the only candidate. Poch would have been a risk regardless of what people say, zero guarantees of trophies. Ole gets us and has really brought the club together again. I think these next months will be a head start going in to next season. I'm happy he's going to be the man to lead us next year.

I'm not happy of how the club have announced this. I think they should have waited to the end of the season like they said. They need to show a little more strength and stop looking so reactionary and keep there word. I don't think there is any positive in doing this now with only a few games to go. He could have been told privately and it shouldn't have effected transfers.

Think this move feels right for United, don't really give a feck what opposition fans think. Anyone that has supported United for a while will know this feels right, right for how we want to play, treat our players and bringing through younger ones. Need to go back to the core traditions of the club. No more outsiders telling us we should play to there way and philosophy. We have our own just like Bayern, Ajax and Barca. They embrace our way, not the other way around. That's what the others since Fergie left never got. Ole's at the fecking wheel!

meamth

I don't see Bale coming with Ole at the helm.

Knowing United's identity we would expect the wonderkid signings more than established stars.

I think the days of us signing ready made world class players are gone and this is an exciting start for United again.

But at this climate, wonderkids are more expensive than ever before. Interesting summer.

King Eric 7

Beautiful. We should win the league with Ole if we have a decent couple of transfer windows.

tomaldinho1

Not sure whats crap about it... you can make a reasonable argument for who the football was worse under out of Moyes, LVG and Jose... it'll differ from person to person.
Because it's irrelevant to his original point.

LVG compared Ole & Jose's styles. G Nev brings that up, doesn't actually address it, and moves onto his opinion that LVG's football was rubbish.

F miah

The board needs to back him this summer. I think he will building a title challenge team.

Best man for the job!!

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I think every single person in Norway supports us now, even the Liverpool fans. :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I have no idea whether this will work out or not but, given how well he's done thus far, it would have been perverse to appoint someone else instead.

That said, we're judging Solskjaer off a very small sample size of games and even if waiting a few more months barely changes anything I'd still have opted to do that, just in case. However there are obvious benefits to appointing him now too so..... *shrugs*

beycont

Great, another year of mediocrity. Almost certainly not getting top 4 next year. The performances have been awful under Ole for weeks, very much Mourinho-like, not only that, but we have a whole host of average players and most of them will keep their place in the team because Ole feels bound to play youth products even if they're not good enough (Rashford and Lingard). Extremely disappointed, hoping to be proved wrong.
Wow, how much more transparent can you be eh? Well done.

beycont

I'm not a scouser, I'm being realistic. Ole's best performance was against Cardiff in his first game, we actually played quick one-touch football. Since then it's got progressively worse, slow & ponderous, just like it was under Mourinho. Our attacking personal aren't good enough, Rashford and Lingard are nowhere near the level required. Martial at LW doesn't do enough, perhaps he could play up front.

Also, personally, I hate the reliance on SAF. It seems every week SAF is going into the dressing room and giving speeches, watching training. Makes me wonder if he's doing more.

Ole is our version of Zidane, except we don't have anywhere near the quality of players Zidane has. We need a world class coach tactically, I don't think Ole is that, unfortunately.
Guess I was wrong!

JohnnyKills

Me too. But it probably dont matter much financially. OGS can't go out and get a job at Real Madrid or something similar. Furthermore, he would have taken the jobs at most terms. That will be reflected in his wages and probably also in the terms relating to him getting sacked. Meaning, if he fecks it up big time (something he will not do), he will probably relatively cheap to get rid of compared to Moyes, LvG or Mourinho.

He might be a bit of a gamble. But he is a cheap gamble. With a huge and probable upside for the club.
Good Post.

JohnnyKills

Knowing United's identity we would expect the wonderkid signings more than established stars.

I think the days of us signing ready made world class players are gone and this is an exciting start for United again.

But at this climate, wonderkids are more expensive than ever before. Interesting summer.
Yeah this is my feeling too.

matt10000

Who cares, Ole is the right fit and we only want players that want to play for Ole. If that means we have to recruit hungry youth keen to prove themselves rather than established megastars who want to move just because of the money or big name manager thinking that trophies and medals are inevitable than so be it.

I think and hope that Ole is successful but if over time he isn't then I will never say that it was the wrong decision to appoint him.

Minimalist

Delighted. Perfect for us.

Haters or doubters can feck off. Or support whatever club shitcoat ends up at this summer - whichever suits.

vidic blood & sand

I wouldn't personally have gone all in at this point, but I'm delighted for him and hope he is a great success. I'll always support every manager at United, especially a legend like Ole.
I think they had to.
The uncertainty may have affected the run in.

CM

Good stuff. Hopefully we can start putting things in place for the summer now.

JohnnyKills

Neville's not tackling lvg's comments. He's just taking a cheap dig at him.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Deserved and i'm so happy it's him! Still fear nothing will change in terms of how the club is run. We need football people making decisions as how to move forward, how to improve the team and properly challenge for the PL title. No confidence in the banker.

Devil may care

I thought we'd wait until the summer to see how things panned out, but ok. I just hope a DOF football is announced soon and that Ole gets properly backed in the transfer market this summer.

Abizzz

Great news this. I don't really care about the length, I'm just happy he will be having a role in forming the team for the forseeable future.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Neville's not tackling lvg's comments. He's just taking a cheap dig at him.
To be honest, many pundits have poured scorn on his comments.

They're both entitled to their opinion but putting stock in what LVG says has long gone. The man said it himself after another poor performance, he thought he was good manager...once. A few good wins here and there don't mask how boring the football was.

deadrevelz

"I saw Louis van Gaal say that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's football is the same as Jose Mourinho's. Louis van Gaal's football at @ManUtd was the worst I've ever seen."

Not sure if you read it but he's referring to LVG's recent interview (which was pretty interesting). My point is structurally our system is pretty similar with Ole as it was with Mou (which is what LVG is saying) but there are some differences like wing backs, Pogba being freed up and, most importantly, player's attitudes improving.
Well that's to be expected considering he came mid season and has only been here for 3 months. LVG probably doesn't watch our games except the big ones, so thinks we have only played counter attacking football. He also downplays the massive amount of injuries we've had. United fans didn't turn on LVG until his second season, because we gave him time to buy the players he wanted and implement his system. He's bitter.

RedDevil-85

Congrats to Ole and well deserved:devil:
Now the board and Ole can start preparing for next season.
Great to have one of our own in charge,hope he gets backed 100% in the transfermarket.

Coxy

Delighted - really hope we push on and on.

Hoping for a nice transfer summer too ;)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I read Van Gaal's interview and the interview with Neville linked to in that tweet you quoted. Nothing he said was in any way incorrect. So I don't see any basis for you calling him a terrible pundit based on that tweet.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Excited to see who he brings in, wish him all the best the legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.