Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

What he has done so far has earned him the chance for at least one full season, I think. I'm glad he is being given the opportunity.

He is good tactician. First post was about that. Not that he is good or bad coach, good for United or not etc...
Just pure comment about his tactical skill, for which i think that it is on high level
I agree.Allegri is a good tactician. I think he needs to throw more caution to the wind on occasions,like how he got Juve set-up against A.Madrid.
My feeling is I dont want to watch a United side offer up the likely football Allegri will bring . We've had two previous managers who've given the United fanbase some of the most dour uninspiring football we can remember.

Ainu

I'm not a scouser, I'm being realistic. Ole's best performance was against Cardiff in his first game, we actually played quick one-touch football. Since then it's got progressively worse, slow & ponderous, just like it was under Mourinho. Our attacking personal aren't good enough, Rashford and Lingard are nowhere near the level required. Martial at LW doesn't do enough, perhaps he could play up front.

Also, personally, I hate the reliance on SAF. It seems every week SAF is going into the dressing room and giving speeches, watching training. Makes me wonder if he's doing more.

Ole is our version of Zidane, except we don't have anywhere near the quality of players Zidane has. We need a world class coach tactically, I don't think Ole is that, unfortunately.
A lot of the stuff you're talking about has nothing to do with Solskjaer. Better players? Yeah sure, but how the feck is Solskjaer getting performances out of players you don't deem good enough something to hold against him? You also have no idea how reliant he is on Fergie, so stop guessing and using that as an argument. Oh and we already had so called world class tactical managers. We played some of the worst football in decades under them.

Even if performances have been going backwards under Solskjaer, which is not an unreasonable statement, they've still been miles better than what came before and, crucially, we've been getting significantly better results than before and compared to our direct competitors as well. He's been working miracles here and it's still not enough for you.

MaCo

Supports
AFC Ajax, FC Barcelona
Deserved!

I like to know how he feels but also a comment about Poch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The thing with Solskjaer is if he's successful, he's your man for the long haul. You won't have to worry about him leaving United for a new challenge.

Kapardin

Will be very interested to see Ole's activity in the transfer market assuming he is getting backing. There isn't a prior history of him managing a big club, so we don't really have an idea of his big money signings other than the obvious Sancho target. Interesting times for sure.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Ole isn't naive but, Woodward is a backstabbing, conniving man. He went behind LVG's back, saying to his face that he can see out his contract, but working on getting Mourinho in. He sacked him in an unceremonious way. It's also possible that he went behind Mourinho's back, telling him to his face that he's doing everything to get the players he wants while in his own head not rating these players and being half-arsed about it. Ed Woodwards word means nothing.

Ainu

... Interesting.

All I'll say, based on my experiences watching us under Pellegrini, is that there's a huge difference between a manager inheriting a very talented but mentally tired squad and turning them into a great team again (our 13/14 season) and that same manager being trusted with transfers, stamping his own style on that same team on a long-term basis, and making improvements that earn him a new deal (our 15/16 season).

This is a huge gamble from the people who run United. I'm not sure it's the kind of decision you make if you want to win a title in the next three years. Having said that, I wish him all the luck in the world (I'd much rather be challenging United for the title over Liverpool, I'd much rather United made the top four than Arsenal or Chelsea, and Ole just seems like a very humble guy) and hope he justifies this decision.
I don't get this "huge gamble" talk. We've gone for proven quality, like Van Gaal and Jose, and look where it got us. Under Solskjaer it's been our best period ever since Fergie retired. Every managerial change is a gamble. Would getting Pochettino be any less of a gamble than contuining with a caretaker manager who's been doing so well here? Yeah there's every chance Solskjaer might not be the right man for us in the long run, but I'd rather find out than gamble on yet another manager.

TRUERED89

I like it when people bring up Allegri. Good manager that he is they do need to realise that,with all of Juve's advantages over their Serie A rivals,they still play the most tumescent,uninspiring football.
That's why some Juve fans were not overly bothered with Allegri possibly leaving and why most wanted Zidane back at the club.
Did you watch Juve vs A. Madrid? they were fecking sensational, Bernedeschi especially.

sparx99

Great news. Now we can get on with transfer business as players will know who our boss will be.

fallengt

feckin hell. Not that I'm against Ole appointment but couldn't the board wait till season end?

deadrevelz

Great news. Pleased for him.

However, with all the positive vibes around the club and with such an easy fixture on Saturday, the battle to avoid complacency will be his first real test.
Watford is hardly easy. We probably have a lot of injuries again too.

AJ10

I like it when people bring up Allegri. Good manager that he is they do need to realise that,with all of Juve's advantages over their Serie A rivals,they still play the most tumescent,uninspiring football.
That's why some Juve fans were not overly bothered with Allegri possibly leaving and why most wanted Zidane back at the club.
He's a good manager but not a attacking manager which is what United need but most people will refer to the Atletico game and forget about other games where they play boring football even with the attacking talent they have.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I agree.Allegri is a good tactician. I think he needs to throw more caution to the wind on occasions,like how he got Juve set-up against A.Madrid.
My feeling is I dont want to watch a United side offer up the likely football Allegri will bring . We've had two previous managers who've given the United fanbase some of the most dour uninspiring football we can remember.
For me, i like to see games when coaches make brilliant moves. Second game vs Atletico was perfect example. From first minute he had good moves. And about caution. When score was 2.0 he made Dybala- Spinazzola sub. He saw that he can resolve game in 90 minutes. And there are lots of games like that. In which he proved how good he is.
Is he attacking coach or not and how good he is in general, it is for another thread. Imo, he is world class manager

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Wonder what Ed thinks if we start losing games and end up 6th though.
We'll be patient. When he was appointed, nobody would have expected us to be challenging for top four as we were that far off at the time. When Mourinho was sacked, nobody would have expected his replacement to have had the impact he has done in both the league and the Champions League - we had a threadbare squad and still managed to make it past PSG.

International break has come at a good time for us. Hopefully Lingard, Martial, Rashford et al have been able to recuperate and will be fine going into the final stretch of the season.

cathari

He deserved a chance and got it. Fair play from the club. Hopefully Mick will stay too.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Thinking about it, the timing makes a lot of sense. There's a very real chance we could have a few duff results in the coming weeks. Crash out of Europe and lose the battle for top four. None of which I would put down to Ole. It's an incredibly tough run of fixtures and he hasn't signed a single player. He's already gone above and beyond expectations so a few "par" results shouldn't be reason to change our mind about how suitable he is for the job. By giving him the job now, it will remove whatever pressure their might be to not offer him a permanent job if it turns out the damage done by the previous manager runs too deep for Ole to fully turn things round in his first half season in charge. It's easy to forget how unfeasible a top four finish seemed when Jose got sacked. We'll need to make an effort to remind ourselves of this in April/May.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I am happy for Ole, don't get me wrong - he was my hero (I had the UCL united shirt with his name on the back as a kid, and all that) and he definitely SHOULD get the job, we can all agree on that surely.

But what can the club gain by announcing it now?

It's a bit strange. We said we're going to appoint the next permanent manager in the summer. But then we appoint him now in March.

Why not keep him on his toes, keep the options open?

I mean, I suppose we can get to work now on the long-term planning and work on Ole's transfer targets, etc.

Once again I am happy with Ole's appointment, happy for him, happy for us.

But it just feels like the club yet again being a bit erratic. It follows the pattern of us giving average players fat new contracts when they have a decent run of form.

And where's this 'director of football'?

I hope my concerns are unfounded, obviously.

Owen06

Good news for him.i'm not happy,am not angry, I'm just lukewarm towards the announcement.

Is this the right decision? ole has won a good amount of games however since the Cardiff match we haven't really played with a clear pattern.we made history in paris but it felt like it was psg throwing the game away than us actually winning it.its kinda like Jose second season while we were playing poorly we were winning and then everything imploded after the new contract. solkjaer seems like a nice guy and a good coach but after our recent performances and our last two games I can't help but worry.we aren't in a position where we can afford to make mistakes so I hope this appointment works out.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I am happy for Ole, don't get me wrong - he was my hero (I had the UCL united shirt with his name on the back as a kid, and all that) and he definitely SHOULD get the job, we can all agree on that surely.

It's a bit strange. We said we're going to appoint the next permanent manager in the summer. But then we appoint him now in March.

I mean, I suppose we can get to work now on the long-term planning and work on Ole's transfer targets, etc.

But it just feels like the club yet again being a bit erratic. It follows the pattern of us giving average players fat new contracts when they have a decent run of form.

See my post above for explanation re timing.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I'm going to celebrate - I've got nachos hotdogs and bread.

el3mel

Congrats for Ole. Great news and I'm fully behind him. Some stability instead of long thinking about a new manager.

RedPnutz

OGS has done a fantastic job. We had no expectations when he was hired and people are now speaking of top 4 - a testament to how he has raised standards in this short time.

It is fantastic to announce the appointment now. As we are negotiating transfers and contract renewal, the players need stability and need to know who will be guiding them.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

Probably because transfer targets are asking about who the manager will be and if they can expect stability and continuity while finding a role in tbe squad.

Loon

:lol:
Watford, you mean?

Sure, they are in good form and as tough a test as Wolves. It's something I'm looking forward to as well.
Watford is the next game, but I did actually mean the upcoming game against Wolves. The buzz around the appointment will have died down and he’ll be in full job mode. I’m interested in his evolution as a coach and ability to adapt to a team and manager which admittedly did outthink him last time.

I’m really hoping he’s the visionary young manager exploring new coaching and tactics I want him to be.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
A lot of the stuff you're talking about has nothing to do with Solskjaer. Better players? Yeah sure, but how the feck is Solskjaer getting performances out of players you don't deem good enough something to hold against him? You also have no idea how reliant he is on Fergie, so stop guessing and using that as an argument. Oh and we already had so called world class tactical managers. We played some of the worst football in decades under them.

Even if performances have been going backwards under Solskjaer, which is not an unreasonable statement, they've still been miles better than what came before and, crucially, we've been getting significantly better results than before and compared to our direct competitors as well. He's been working miracles here and it's still not enough for you.
I agree. Ole shouldn't and won't have a free pass from here, everyone knows there is work to do with this squad, but the job he's done based on what came before and what he's had to work with in the present has been nothing but positive in my view. He'll receive deep scrutiny from here and misgivings about whether he is right man are entirely legitimate, there are questions that need answers, but I'm yet to hear an argument based on facts against Ole's work with us to date.

Skolden

Keep him on his toes?
Does anyone really think Ole will just start slacking now or something? :D

He wants to prove himself, probably even more now when he got the job.

Betson

The obvious decision , and a good one I think.

Hopefully now the club will back him in the transfer market , although he has done well to get under performing players performing again and hopefully that continues , the squad still needs an injection of quality.

passing-wind

Too early for me, if we lose our next few games and miss the top 4 then I don't see where it leaves us positively especially with De Gea contract situation and Pogba Madrid possibility. Nonetheless I'd rather have had Poch but will be behind ole, expecting much more from him now the pressure will be on

It's all good and well saying wait till the end of the season but people are forgetting Molde have the rest of the season to plan for.

Status
Not open for further replies.