Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Can someone explain to me the idea behind making 2 subs that late ? That shit has nothing to do with not having the right players, it has nothing to do with Woodward. This is just Ole making a very stupid decision.
The club's situation can be explained by several things happening at the same time but Ole can still be heavily criticized for some of his decisions during game.

Paul_Scholes18

On what basis are we lucky to be 7th?

Expected goals models have us 4th, suggesting we're unlucky to only have 35 points if anything.

https://understat.com/league/EPL/2019

Finishing our chances is the main problem by this measure.

The overating of other teams based on highlights is ridiculous. Spurs didn't have a single shot until City went down to 10 men yesterday. They are clearly 'lucky' to be above us.
We have not been unlucky a lot of times. I think the game against Pool is the worst luck we have had. Should have won and they avoided a clear red card.
Playing poorly and conceding goals is not bad luck. Being poor in attack and not scoring is not bad luck.
De Gea being crap for a large part of the season is not bad luck. Lingard missing a 1vs1 is what you might get with him (0 league goals so far from him is not bad luck).
Injuries could be seen as bad luck, but it might be our management and fitness department that are doing a poor job too.

We have not really been lucky either. Apart from the Newcastle game where they gifted us 3 goals by big errors, but we took them well.
We got some help against Burnley too otherwise we could have seen another 0-0 in that game.

Overall though we have mainly got what we deserved. Even if there are some games that we certainly could have won if not for giving away late goals.

matt10000

This is the first time he's turned on Ole. Everyone is rapidly losing patience. Now with Bruno and Ighalo (obviously an average signing) the pressure on him to perform has ramped up significantly. Judging by the Wolves game, he couldn't get the best out of Bruno and it could continue to the point where we start thinking Bruno is shite too, because of the poor tactics and game management.
Feck me, Bruno first game, give the player, manager and team time to develop an understanding!!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Can someone explain to me the idea behind making 2 subs that late ? That shit has nothing to do with not having the right players, it has nothing to do with Woodward. This is just Ole making a very stupid decision.
The club's situation can be explained by several things happening at the same time but Ole can still be heavily criticized for some of his decisions during game.
Dalot on the left wing along with Lingard was quite perplexing. You should watch the video I posted about a fan losing his mind with the thought process behind the decision.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We have not been unlucky a lot of times. I think the game against Pool is the worst luck we have had. Should have won and they avoided a clear red card.
Playing poorly and conceding goals is not bad luck. Being poor in attack and not scoring is not bad luck.
De Gea being crap for a large part of the season is not bad luck. Lingard missing a 1vs1 is what you might get with him (0 league goals so far from him is not bad luck).
Injuries could be seen as bad luck, but it might be our management and fitness department that are doing a poor job too.

We have not really been lucky either. Apart from the Newcastle game where they gifted us 3 goals by big errors, but we took them well.
We got some help against Burnley too otherwise we could have seen another 0-0 in that game.

Overall though we have mainly got what we deserved. Even if there are some games that we certainly could have won if not for giving away late goals.
The point is if you viewed every team by the same standards you are applying above you would see that we aren't 'lucky' to be 7th. You would see many other teams having games like Newcastle, being so called gifted goals etc winning games they don't deserve on the balance of play.

If you go on points yesterday City are a relegation candidate, Spurs are title winning material. Anyone watching that game knows it not the case.

People need to have a bit of perspective instead of saying 'worst manager this', 'clueless that'.

wolvored

Yes didnt he say over the last 2 weeks subs should get a minimum of 20 mins if its tactical switch

Wolfmother

Supports
Man Utd
Was it? Stupid I mean. I really didn’t see what players to bring on to change anything. But Ole did. They managed to get the right numbers against wolves defense in the last minutes, leading to a great goal scoring opportunity for Dalot. What was stupid about that?

kouroux

Yes didnt he say over the last 2 weeks subs should get a minimum of 20 mins if its tactical switch
I wasn't even aware he said that :lol: It's basic common sense

Was it? Stupid I mean. I really didn’t see what players to bring on to change anything. But Ole did. They managed to get the right numbers against wolves defense in the last minutes, leading to a great goal scoring opportunity for Dalot. What was stupid about that?
Of course it was, why even bother at all with it then ? The point of playing football is to win games, specially when the team you're trying to catch has lost points.
If you play fresh players earlier, you give yourself a bigger chance to win :lol: Basic common sense that doesn't need to be explained :lol: "They managed to get the right numbers "... Maybe if we did that earlier, we'd have another chance to score from too.

red4ever 79

Killing time? Settling for a point. Wolves looked the side more likely to score in the past 15 mins I would say. Ole would consider that as an excellent point for us. Probably chuffed to bits in the dressing room

kouroux

Killing time? Settling for a point. Wolves looked the side more likely to score in the past 15 mins I would say. Ole would consider that as an excellent point for us. Probably chuffed to bits in the dressing room
Probably that, his comments after the game also showed he was kinda satisfied.

Wolfmother

Supports
Man Utd
I wasn't even aware he said that :lol: It's basic common sense

Of course it was, why even bother at all with it then ? The point of playing football is to win games, specially when the team you're trying to catch has lost points.
If you play fresh players earlier, you give yourself a bigger chance to win :lol: Basic common sense that doesn't need to be explained :lol: "They managed to get the right numbers "... Maybe if we did that earlier, we'd have another chance to score from too.
Usuall rubbish arrogant response with smug smilies and no substance...

We are talking tactics. We where parked in the final third and was looking for ways to open up. We switched players positions and got even more control over the game. There was no need to put Dalot on the right side, as Bruno and AWB had control and was actually a bit creative. But we struggled with movement from James and Tony drifted wide. Again, what was wrong with it? We had control on the right and made a good chance of it when Dalot came on. Should it happened earlier. Maybe, maybe not. But there was, for me anyway not a clear choice of subs to make a difference.

Edit: right numbers in this sentence mean making unbalance, which we actually did..

kouroux

We are talking tactics. We where parked in the final third and was looking for ways to open up. We switched players positions and got even more control over the game. There was no need to put Dalot on the right side, as Bruno and AWB had control and was actually a bit creative. But we struggled with movement from James and Tony drifted wide. Again, what was wrong with it? We had control on the right and made a good chance of it when Dalot came on. Should it happened earlier. Maybe, maybe not. But there was, for me anyway not a clear choice of subs to make a difference.
Nothing as this isn't even what I was arguing against :houllier: You didn't even read what I posted... I said the changes should have happened sooner, that's all. I'll leave the tactics to an "expert" like yourself.

Paul_Scholes18

The point is if you viewed every team by the same standards you are applying above you would see that we aren't 'lucky' to be 7th. You would see many other teams having games like Newcastle, being so called gifted goals etc winning games they don't deserve on the balance of play.

If you go on points yesterday City are a relegation candidate, Spurs are title winning material. Anyone watching that game knows it not the case.

People need to have a bit of perspective instead of saying 'worst manager this', 'clueless that'.
Agree we have not got that much luck or more than anyone else. Spurs and Arsenal have been as poor as us or even worse. Although they tried to change it.
0 goals without Rashford though is a massive concern though. We build our entire attack around one player really and have no clue what to do without him.

Wolfmother

Supports
Man Utd
Nothing as this isn't even what I was arguing against :houllier: You didn't even read what I posted... I said the changes should have happened sooner, that's all. I'll leave the tactics to an "expert" like yourself.
Yes I did. You asked for explanation and calling them stupid decisions. I didn’t even see that opening to the left, but Ole did. Late or not.
Like i said. I would rather not have Lindgards “fresh legs” on there at all. Not Chong either. The Dalot move I didn’t even think of. And it created one big chance. Don’t know what was stupid about that..

Siorac

Agree we have not got that much luck or more than anyone else. Spurs and Arsenal have been as poor as us or even worse. Although they tried to change it.
0 goals without Rashford though is a massive concern though. We build our entire attack around one player really and have no clue what to do without him.
And let's face it, we weren't very good even when he was available. 34 points from 22 games is really nothing to shout about.

kouroux

Yes I did. You asked for explanation and calling them stupid decisions. I didn’t even see that opening to the left, but Ole did. Late or not.
Like i said. I would rather not have Lindgards “fresh legs” on there at all. Not Chong either. The Dalot move I didn’t even think of. And it created one big chance. Don’t know what was stupid about that..
Stupid as in their timing, that's all. Nothing else, your entire tactical breakdown, I didn't ask for that so yeah you didn't really read what I posted but somehow you try to finesse an answer for it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
When everyone is fit, I'd take this team over most in the league.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

Edit: right numbers in this sentence mean making unbalance, which we actually did..
There was another poster called Wolf-something. Are you his mother by any chance?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins

You'd need two new full-backs to bomb forward for that to work otherwise we'd be left with the usual get the ball to the edge of the opposition box without penetration.

el3mel

Once you see an Ole supporter spouting insults left, right and center you need to realize he has nothing to replay with and discussion isn't worth it. I have been insulted by plenty of them because their points got countered and now these same posters are on my ignore list.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Maddison was one of their best players last year and I'm not sure he has improved compared to last year, let alone significantly. Mahrez was a non factor either way and was known during the Summer.

How many of our supporters(yourself included), would have agreed to take Leicester's squad, minus Maguire, and give them ours? Come on mate.
Maddison is on pace to easily eclipse his tally from last season. If everyone is healthy, ofcourse I'd favor United's by a slight margin but they have managed to keep everyone from Vardy to Jonny Evans fit for most of their games while United are struggling to get enough players who reached puberty in midfield.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If only football was judged on spreadsheets then you'd have a point. But the eye test is more than sufficient. Maddison has less goal contributions than Barnes, Iheanacho and Perez this season and takes most of the set pieces. He was better last season and Whoscored.com is only leading you further astray.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You'd need two new full-backs to bomb forward for that to work otherwise we'd be left with the usual get the ball to the edge of the opposition box without penetration.
Fullbacks could be coached to be more effective going forward even if they're limited somewhat.

kouroux

Once you see an Ole supporter spouting insults left, right and center you need to realize he has nothing to replay with and discussion isn't worth it. I have been insulted by plenty of them because their points got countered and now these same posters are on my ignore list.
I mean if the answer made sense in relation to what I asked, I'd take the insults without problem but this is something else

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If only football was judged on spreadsheets then you'd have a point. But the eye test is more than sufficient. Maddison has less goal contributions than Barnes, Iheanacho and Perez this season and takes most of the set pieces. He was better last season and Whoscored.com is only leading you further astray.
What are you on about? I responded to you saying he has not improved from last season showing he is easily going to eclipse his goal tally and end up with roughly the same number of assists, he's popped in with some important goals in tight games and now you are comparing him to other players in the Leicester squad this season, at least stay consistent in your arguments.

Ixion

I doubt you'll find many Scousers, City, or Spurs fans that would agree. We've become blind to mediocrity.

TrueRed79

He's easily the worst manager in the league and probably the worst in our history. Worst thing about is that i'm starting to dislike him which i never thought would be possible.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What are you on about? I responded to you saying he has not improved from last season showing he is easily going to eclipse his goal tally and end up with roughly the same number of assists, he's popped in with some important goals in tight games and now you are comparing him to other players in the Leicester squad this season, at least stay consistent in your arguments.
I'm trying to tell you that Maddison hasn't been great this season and hasn't improved this year like you claimed. Leicester have improved this season and have created more chances due to the players I mentioned in my previous post. Harvey Barnes for example has been comfortably better than Maddison and has 10 goal contributions in 17 starts. So when you point to Leicester doing well this season, then point to the likes of Barnes who has had a bigger impact than Maddison this year, rather than run to whoscored without context.

James Ward

If he doesn't stop playing this 4-2-3-1 formation with the same tactics every game I will snap.

Why not 5-3-2 or 4141 or anything different!! He is so far out of his depth its crazy.

If Ole took over Liverpool they'd be in the same position as us.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
Maddison is on pace to easily eclipse his tally from last season. If everyone is healthy, ofcourse I'd favor United's by a slight margin but they have managed to keep everyone from Vardy to Jonny Evans fit for most of their games while United are struggling to get enough players who reached puberty in midfield.
It's not all about stats. Having seen Maddison both this season and last one, to me he was better during the last one. So far he has stalled, compared to Grealish for example who has significantly improved.

Robbie Boy

I'm trying to tell you that Maddison hasn't been great this season and hasn't improved this year like you claimed. Leicester have improved this season and have created more chances due to the players I mentioned in my previous post. Harvey Barnes for example has been comfortably better than Maddison and has 10 goal contributions in 17 starts. So when you point to Leicester doing well this season, then point to the likes of Barnes who has had a bigger impact than Maddison this year, rather than run to whoscored without context.
It's not all about stats. Having seen Maddison both this season and last one, to me he was better during the last one. So far he has stalled, compared to Grealish for example who has significantly improved.
Agreed.

ash_86

What's the point of comparing what position we would be in previous seasons with current point tally? The difficultly of the season is relative to that season and not outside it. We would have won titles with a lower point tally that would probably only put us at 4th or 3rd in some other season. That doesn't mean we didn't deserve the title the season we won it. Point tally is always relative to the current season only.

Status
Not open for further replies.