Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Scholes18

So that's Molde fans who wanted rid of him. Ask Cardiff fans how they rate him. But we, the so called biggest club in the world, still have diehards who believe he should be given a few more years. Because he used to play for us. How depressing.
He won the league for Molde didn't he. I guess they just got bored by his football then.

Roboc7

So that's Molde fans who wanted rid of him. Ask Cardiff fans how they rate him. But we, the so called biggest club in the world, still have diehards who believe he should be given a few more years. Because he used to play for us. How depressing.
There was a lot of talk that Ole was holding Molde back and had gone as far as he could with them in his second spell. Since he left they have gone on to win the league so they haven’t suffered since he left and have improved.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Anyone see a report from a Norwegian newspaper, something along the lines of this;

Good. This is all part and parcel of the Solskjaer saga this must fully play itself out before we can hope to move on to something even slightly less soul-crushing.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He won the league for Molde didn't he. I guess they just got bored by his football then.
Wasn't winning the league a foregone conclusion? I could be wrong but he had a lot more resources relative to the others to win but I could be ill informed.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It’s because it hurts. Every game hurts. It’s painfully obvious he is hurting the club, lowering standards and worsening the reputation of the club ahead of a massive summer.

It hurts that top 4 would have been almost a given with a decent coach, as teams drop points all over the place. It is incredibly frustrating and ruins my weekend consistently. Then we have to watch him smile and make excuses without questioning what he is doing to the club.

It hurts because, for me personally, I don’t have as long a connection with almost anything, as I do with Manchester United and it hurts to see a giant become such a tame minnow playing such a poor standard of football.

It is directionless, never improves and it’s at least another year written off through stubbornness and certain people’s refusal to admit they have made the wrong choice or aren’t cut out for a job.

Surely you can allow people the opportunity to let out their frustrations on the internet with people who are just as annoyed as they are?

It’s only out of love for the club after all!
I can allow it. Hell I couldnt stop it if I wanted to. It's a real shame that many of the posters who still back Ole and this plan are not coming on here anymore though. This forum has been the first port of call for me for 15 years now to read and discuss United. It's now a place I need to be in a certain type of mood to visit.

There are Ole supporters who go to extremes to defend him. For me it's not necessary to do that. We have forensic analysis of his time at Cardiff and Molde as if it is relevant. It isn't. Endless comparisons with Klopp and whoever else as if it is relevant. It isnt, and it's really boring. However the Ole out people are going to similar extremes, and it's a lot more widespread. Someone on this page states that he is doing 'irreparable damage to the club'. I mean, come on now, really? Not to mention the numerous personal insults against anyone who dare believe that this approach is good for the clubs future.

It's just become increasingly toxic, and its largely driven out the other side of the argument. You cant have a reasonable debate when everyone left in the room agrees with each other and besides, he isnt about to get fired and appears to be under little to no pressure from the club, so you guys can make as much noise as you like but you arent going to get what you want.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I can allow it. Hell I couldnt stop it if I wanted to. It's a real shame that many of the posters who still back Ole and this plan are not coming on here anymore though. This forum has been the first port of call for me for 15 years now to read and discuss United. It's now a place I need to be in a certain type of mood to visit.

There are Ole supporters who go to extremes to defend him. For me it's not necessary to do that. We have forensic analysis of his time at Cardiff and Molde as if it is relevant. It isn't. Endless comparisons with Klopp and whoever else as if it is relevant. It isnt, and it's really boring. However the Ole out people are going to similar extremes, and it's a lot more widespread. Someone on this page states that he is doing 'irreparable damage to the club'. I mean, come on now, really? Not to mention the numerous personal insults against anyone who dare believe that this approach is good for the clubs future.

It's just become increasingly toxic, and its largely driven out the other side of the argument. You cant have a reasonable debate when everyone left in the room agrees with each other and besides, he isnt about to get fired and appears to be under little to no pressure from the club, so you guys can make as much noise as you like but you arent going to get what you want.
OK boss :lol:

Andersonson

Doesn't sound like Ole is involved here, but he is working with an agent that appears far worse than Mino and is helping his client get away from a crime potentially.
Ighalo uses that agent too. So him and the club still uses a shitty agent like that.

Ole making that guy captain too just shows his terrible judgement of character. If this gets big at least it might push the Glaziers to kick him out.
He has fecked with our club enough. Although not really rape since the Glaziers do not mind for some odd reason.
Ighalo doesnt use that agent. Stop spreading false information.

The agent in question is Solbakken, he has the best players from the Norwegian league. Molde buying alot of players from him is very natrual, as he as the best players and the best network.
This thing is blown out of porportion.

Paul_Scholes18

Wasn't winning the league a foregone conclusion? I could be wrong but he had a lot more resources relative to the others to win but I could be ill informed.
Do not know about the money spent, but they had never won the league before. Ole won it twice in a row.
That is pretty impressive even if he got money to spend. Got him the Cardiff job.

Andersonson

Anyone see a report from a Norwegian newspaper, something along the lines of this;

This is not from aftenposten itself, its an opinion article.... What the hell is this false information going on in here?

He'sRaldo

This is not from aftenposten itself, its an opinion article.... What the hell is this false information going on in here?
I think he's being discredited in everything he's done, just because he isn't good enough for the Man Utd manager role. It's not nice to watch IMV.

mu4c_20le

Well most of us dont speak Norwegian so it doesn't really matter, it has alot of likes.. and it's a great opportunity to stick the knife in if you still love and care about the club. Forget about legends and history; as a modern, forward thinking club we should only be looking ahead.

Paul_Scholes18

Naturally people are frustrated about the results. Just talking about a plan is what people do, but there is none to be seen by the actions of the club.
At least not a good plan. LVG and Mourinho had plans. LVG a very poor one both in terms of recruitment and his style of play. Although you could clearly see what he tried to do. With Mourinho it was very obvious too. Not a long term plan, but an idea to win titles as we have seen him do in teams before.

The only plan we have had now is defend and hit teams on the counter. It has worked at times and James is a decent player for that style to bring in.
It is far from good enough for a club like Man United though. For Palace and Newcastle it might be alright, but we should aim for higher. Why do people think Ole is going to bring a new plan in the future? Just because he gets new players?
Although he did buy players for his current style so it doesn't make much sense to change.
It is also obvious that the Glaziers and Woodward have no football plan at all. They just give it to the manager and hope to make as much money as they can.

L1nk

Well most of us dont speak Norwegian so it doesn't really matter, it has alot of likes.. and it's a great opportunity to stick the knife in if you still love and care about the club. Forget about legends and history; as a modern, forward thinking club we should only be looking ahead.
Well, isn't that a given? Nobody forgets about legends and history but you can't live off of them, should we only hire people who have played for the club regardless of how good they are? Solskjaer isn't good enough to manage a top club, no club with any aspirations was ever going to hire him, we only hired him, and people still want to give him like 3 years, because he played for us, that's it, that is the only reason, anybody Ole in has zero factual evidence or statistic to backup why they want Ole in, it's just because he used to play for us so of course only he can bring us back to the top, which makes no sense. I really do wish this club would move forward, we really will become the new Liverpool. We do need to stop living in the past.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Why some people keep spinning same shit and avoiding the truth? Ole won 2 titles there. Yes, it is true. But in his first spell 10 bloody years ago. In his second reign( after Cardiff disaster) he did nothing. Finished 2nd, 5th and 6th( or 3rd, i am not so sure). So we hired a manager who wasn't even first in Norway.

zenith

I'm hoping that once the break is over and the fatigue excuses are no longer valid, along with the fact that ighalo and bruno will be much better integrated with the team and our key injured players getting back that ole will manage to put together a really strong run.

I understand that the season has been an injury nightmare but surely that won't float after the break.

A very strong run in the europa and making up the points deficit to very depleted Chelsea sides should be a bare minimum.

If he wants to continue with his rebuild, it's only fair that fans see progress.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Do not know about the money spent, but they had never won the league before. Ole won it twice in a row.
That is pretty impressive even if he got money to spend. Got him the Cardiff job.
They also just won it after he took the United Job. So it seems his replacement was an improvement. And it's 8 years ago he won it. And we talk about Mourinho being past it.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Naturally people are frustrated about the results. Just talking about a plan is what people do, but there is none to be seen by the actions of the club.
At least not a good plan. LVG and Mourinho had plans. LVG a very poor one both in terms of recruitment and his style of play. Although you could clearly see what he tried to do. With Mourinho it was very obvious too. Not a long term plan, but an idea to win titles as we have seen him do in teams before.

The only plan we have had now is defend and hit teams on the counter. It has worked at times and James is a decent player for that style to bring in.
It is far from good enough for a club like Man United though. For Palace and Newcastle it might be alright, but we should aim for higher. Why do people think Ole is going to bring a new plan in the future? Just because he gets new players?
Although he did buy players for his current style so it doesn't make much sense to change.
It is also obvious that the Glaziers and Woodward have no football plan at all. They just give it to the manager and hope to make as much money as they can.
Better players, new approach, new characters. These things all need to be changed before we start seeing the improvements on the pitch. I know that nobody will be convinced by any argument now, but when people think about why Ole isn't under more pressure from within the club despite the inconsistency you have to ask yourself why that is. There are crazy conclusions reached on that subject that make little sense. 'Woodward wants a yes man', 'the Glazers are content with mediocrity as long as money is being made', or my favourite crackpot theory that 'they distract us with a club legend in charge so fans are comfortable with the lowering of standards'. None of these make any sense at all, no matter whose viewpoint you look at this from. There is not one single person within the club that doesn't benefit when we are successful, or anyone that doesn't suffer in some way when we are not.

So why stick with the manager? The Burnley loss was a low point. A really terrible night for the club, on the pitch and in the stands. What did the club do - sack the manager? No - they gave him 2 more players. Why on earth would they do that when there are so many other managerial options we could go after, in particular one that Woodward has already courted that is unemployed and presumably ready and willing to go right now? He wanted him once, he could have him now and yet he doesn't pull the trigger when so many fans would applaud him for it.

There is part of me that thinks that Woodward might pull the trigger if we don't reach the Champions League. He has form for this. Ultimately though I believe its unlikely. I think the squad that Mourinho left was in complete disarray. Rotten eggs, bad characters, in-fighting, cliques. You name it. If this is true then it explains a lot of things. Why we let so many players go in the summer even though we knew it would hurt us. Why we are reluctant to go after certain players who make demands that raise red flags. Why we are willing to persist with this manager.

Ole may not yet have proven himself to be a tactical mastermind, or even a manager who has every tool required for a club of our size. He may well never prove that. Logic suggests though that he could be exactly the right man for what the club needs right now. A cultural reboot. A unified squad of players that all want to play for us. The right leaders in a squad so desperate for them that we were compelled to lay out £80m for Harry Maguire - a £50m player with an £80m temperament. Ole didn't leave us short up front because he thought we would survive a gruelling season on rations. He did it because selling Lukaku was better for us than keeping him. We could have paid up for Dybala, but that goes against everything we were trying to do. The guy wanted a big payday to leave a club he didn't want to leave. Same with the midfield. He didn't decide that Lingard & Pereira were the answer to our prayers. He wanted Eriksen & Fernandes, but they either couldn't get the deal done on our terms or in Eriksen's case he wasn't desperate to come here.

Results will get better in time because this season is the worst of it. The squad have a much better feel about them now. We will now add more quality. Better characters. Leaders on and off the pitch. Ole has bought very well so far. Maguire is already club captain. AWB is a really solid defender that runs himself into the ground every single game. James gets kicked all over the place but gets back up and runs some more. Fernandes & Ighalo are both just starting but look like the right fit for what we need. Whether Ole is the right man for the whole project or not, he will definitely leave the next guy a much better starting point than he inherited.

Paul_Scholes18

Why some people keep spinning same shit and avoiding the truth? Ole won 2 titles there. Yes, it is true. But in his first spell 10 bloody years ago. In his second reign( after Cardiff disaster) he did nothing. Finished 2nd, 5th and 6th( or 3rd, i am not so sure). So we hired a manager who wasn't even first in Norway.
He won the league twice. Failed at Cadiff too. That is the truth.
I do not know how much was him, money spent, assistants, poor league etc.
Although he won it in the end.

The one thing you can say though is that time didn't really help him. He started well and did worse in his last years.
Remding me of his time here. Got a nice run and then turned to shit. So thinking he will improve us with time is naive.

Alabaster Codify7

His best credentials were almost 10yrs ago! And some fans claimed Jose was past his fecking best! It's amazing, absolutely amazing, the way our fans have dropped their standards just because they remember this guy playing for us 20yrs ago! Bonkers, absolutely bonkers behaviour.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
His best credentials were almost 10yrs ago! And some fans claimed Jose was past his fecking best! It's amazing, absolutely amazing, the way our fans have dropped their standards just because they remember this guy playing for us 20yrs ago! Bonkers, absolutely bonkers behaviour.
Exactly this. Hypocricy on highest level here. Main phrase about Lvg and Jose was how they were in decline. Despite Lvg just finished third in WC, winning double with Bayern before that and Dutch league with AZ before that. What a decline that was :lol: :lol: .
Jose won PL one year before joining us.

But Ole is the right man because he won something in Norway 10 years ago. Ridiculous stuff.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Info-Graphic:<br><br>Manchester United rank the lowest in the Premier League for percentage of shots in the box. Despite their high territorial advantage they are finding it difficult to work possession into the box.<br><br>IG by <a href="https://twitter.com/Blades_analytic?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@Blades_analytic</a>. <a href="https://t.co/j07OEXwsHp">pic.twitter.com/j07OEXwsHp</a></p>&mdash; UtdArena. (@utdarena) <a href="">February 4, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TRUERED89

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Info-Graphic:<br><br>Manchester United rank the lowest in the Premier League for percentage of shots in the box. Despite their high territorial advantage they are finding it difficult to work possession into the box.<br><br>IG by <a href="https://twitter.com/Blades_analytic?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@Blades_analytic</a>. <a href="https://t.co/j07OEXwsHp">pic.twitter.com/j07OEXwsHp</a></p>&mdash; UtdArena. (@utdarena) <a href="">February 4, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Look where the mighty Sheffield United are! Beyond embarrassing.

Ander herrera the warrior

I'm a Ole in guy but that could change very quickly if I see Ole using Bruno Fernandes in the wrong position. That would be unforgivable.

We haven't found the correct position to use Pogba till now, infact the manager who signed him didn't use him in his best position.

The other day, Ole was speaking about finding the right position that suits Bruno? I don't understand how a manager would sign a player without being exactly sure about which is his best position? I really hope he gets it right and stop using him like how we did in the 2nd half against wolves. I know it was because of Pereira but I hope it ends there.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Better players, new approach, new characters. These things all need to be changed before we start seeing the improvements on the pitch. I know that nobody will be convinced by any argument now, but when people think about why Ole isn't under more pressure from within the club despite the inconsistency you have to ask yourself why that is. There are crazy conclusions reached on that subject that make little sense. 'Woodward wants a yes man', 'the Glazers are content with mediocrity as long as money is being made', or my favourite crackpot theory that 'they distract us with a club legend in charge so fans are comfortable with the lowering of standards'. None of these make any sense at all, no matter whose viewpoint you look at this from. There is not one single person within the club that doesn't benefit when we are successful, or anyone that doesn't suffer in some way when we are not.

So why stick with the manager? The Burnley loss was a low point. A really terrible night for the club, on the pitch and in the stands. What did the club do - sack the manager? No - they gave him 2 more players. Why on earth would they do that when there are so many other managerial options we could go after, in particular one that Woodward has already courted that is unemployed and presumably ready and willing to go right now? He wanted him once, he could have him now and yet he doesn't pull the trigger when so many fans would applaud him for it.

There is part of me that thinks that Woodward might pull the trigger if we don't reach the Champions League. He has form for this. Ultimately though I believe its unlikely. I think the squad that Mourinho left was in complete disarray. Rotten eggs, bad characters, in-fighting, cliques. You name it. If this is true then it explains a lot of things. Why we let so many players go in the summer even though we knew it would hurt us. Why we are reluctant to go after certain players who make demands that raise red flags. Why we are willing to persist with this manager.

Ole may not yet have proven himself to be a tactical mastermind, or even a manager who has every tool required for a club of our size. He may well never prove that. Logic suggests though that he could be exactly the right man for what the club needs right now. A cultural reboot. A unified squad of players that all want to play for us. The right leaders in a squad so desperate for them that we were compelled to lay out £80m for Harry Maguire - a £50m player with an £80m temperament. Ole didn't leave us short up front because he thought we would survive a gruelling season on rations. He did it because selling Lukaku was better for us than keeping him. We could have paid up for Dybala, but that goes against everything we were trying to do. The guy wanted a big payday to leave a club he didn't want to leave. Same with the midfield. He didn't decide that Lingard & Pereira were the answer to our prayers. He wanted Eriksen & Fernandes, but they either couldn't get the deal done on our terms or in Eriksen's case he wasn't desperate to come here.

Results will get better in time because this season is the worst of it. The squad have a much better feel about them now. We will now add more quality. Better characters. Leaders on and off the pitch. Ole has bought very well so far. Maguire is already club captain. AWB is a really solid defender that runs himself into the ground every single game. James gets kicked all over the place but gets back up and runs some more. Fernandes & Ighalo are both just starting but look like the right fit for what we need. Whether Ole is the right man for the whole project or not, he will definitely leave the next guy a much better starting point than he inherited.
Tell me what exactly it is that Ole has done so far that Pochettino who's better tactically hasn't done too?

schmeical'sreusch

Look where the mighty Sheffield United are! Beyond embarrassing.
And when you consider a lot of those shots outside the box are being taken by players such as Fred...not a good thought. Hopefully Bruno will have some positive effect in that department at least.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Tell me what exactly it is that Ole has done so far that Pochettino who's better tactically hasn't done too?
I just wrote a long post describing all of the good things I think Ole has done for this club so far. Now you are asking me to compare that with an alternate reality. I cant do that, and crucially because its not actually real you don't need to defend it either, so your position on this is very easy. Who could possibly know how well anybody else would have done.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Shame you are ten thousand miles away from Old Trafford. We need more fans like you, to show them how it's done.
So, let me get this straight. Because he is in Australia, what he says has less weight, compared to someone who lives in Manchester?
Are we now saying that because you live in Manchester, that somehow you are a better fan of the club and that what you say should have more weight?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Pretty disturbing for me.

Some awful stuff, looks like his agent is awful person, Ole having close ties with him and all the decisions he made during that saga is worrying sign.

Hopefully we just sack him and move on, without all this we have enough reasons to sack him anyways.

sect2k

So many words, so little substance, so many baseless assumptions. Let's just touch on the supposed cultural reboot that's supposed to be his hallmark.
In a recent interview (1), McTominay said this about Fernandes and Ighalo, and I quote:

"They're really, really nice guys. First and foremost they are good people and that's what we need at this football club. We need good friends, who you can go out to dinner with."

If this is the sort of mentality this cultural reboot is about, no wonder we're shit, we need winners not nice guys, who cares if you can go to dinner with your team mates, or if you can't stand them, as long as you deliver performances on the pitch. Was Cantona a nice guy, was Keane, or Giggs? There is a reason they say that nice guys finish last.

1 - https://www.skysports.com/football/...st-impressions-very-good-says-scott-mctominay

Last edited:

Member 39557

So many words, so little substance, so many baseless assumptions. Let's just touch on the supposed cultural reboot that's supposed to be his hallmark.
In a recent interview (1), McTominay said this about Fernandes and Ighalo, and I quote:

If this is the sort of mentality this cultural reboot is about, no wonder we're shit, we need winners not nice guys, who cares if you can go to dinner with your team mates, or if you can't stand them, as long as you deliver performances on the pitch. Was Cantona a nice guy, was Keane, or Giggs? There is a reason they say that nice guys finish last.

1 - https://www.skysports.com/football/...st-impressions-very-good-says-scott-mctominay
Or maybe because it was at a mental health event, some of the questions were steered towards relationships with people?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
That's exactly what i was referring to. Ideally, they just want a placid, friendly face to keep the fans distracted, so they can quietly carry on taking the money out. Unfortunately for them, Ole is so bad, he can't even perform moderately.

I agree, that's what they wanted Mourinho to be happy with, the summer after finishing 2nd.
When Mourinho finished 2nd, The Glazers must've asked Woodward why he was spending so much money to get that 2nd. Better to save money and achieve 4th.
Unfortunately for everybody, the reduction in transfer budget demotivated Jose, who is ambitious and wanted to go for the title and that led to his sacking. He basically lost interest in the project.

As the earlier post stated, Glazers are looking for a yes man, who can get 4th every season (much like Wenger used to). Ole just isn't capable of winning the 4th place trophy which should ultimately see him get fired.

The Bloody-Nine

I saw that quote and thought exactly the same thing.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
When Mourinho finished 2nd, The Glazers must've asked Woodward why he was spending so much money to get that 2nd. Better to save money and achieve 4th.
Unfortunately for everybody, the reduction in transfer budget demotivated Jose, who is ambitious and wanted to go for the title and that led to his sacking. He basically lost interest in the project.

As the earlier post stated, Glazers are looking for a yes man, who can get 4th every season (much like Wenger used to). Ole just isn't capable of winning the 4th place trophy which should ultimately see him get fired.
Without defending the Glazers here, it's maybe also because they feel they did not get value for their money with Lindehof, Baily, Mhiki, Sanchez!, Lukkaku, Pogba and Matic.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It's mad. The fans are being fed a dogshit sandwich and being told that it's Nutella, and a lot are actually believing this because it's coming from a friendly face. Someone should honestly write a paper on this in a few years, I've genuinely never seen anything like it before.
Haha. My thoughts exactly.
It's like they have been brainwashed.
I've asked the following question and not one person can answer it:
2 years ago we finished 2nd and for some fans this was not good enough. Why then, is it now acceptable to finish outside of the top 4? Why, when getting beat 2-0 by LFC, are people shrugging their shoulders and some even claiming that that was a good result? Jose actually got fired after we got a similar result against the same team, 2 years ago.

How can standards have dropped so quickly, in the space of 2 years?
The whole scenario defies logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.