Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
:lol:

Fair enough. Some are just way beyond any form of rational thinking and won't change their stance on Ole despite every single damning stat and performance.
Tbh I accept if someone loves him and wants him to stay. I don't have an issue with that. It's opinion as good as any other.
It's the whole twisting what is said, answering to what isn't asked that I found puzzling.

Robbie Boy

Tbh I accept if someone loves him and wants him to stay. I don't have an issue with that. It's opinion as good as any other.
It's the whole twisting what is said, answering to what isn't asked that I found puzzling.
Yup. I don't get it personally but I respect someone who's honest and says they want him to stay because they see him as a legend and it's all based on sentiment. Unfortunately the 'Ole in brigade' dismiss this notion and twist everything with lies and propaganda to suit their agenda.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
People who throw a phrase "give him another year" don't realise how much damage this "manager" is doing to us with every day in the club.

ash_86

No but it's a scientific measure of quality. Like Forlan won La Pichi with something like 44 goals and when Messi won it with 74 goals. They both won it, but there is significant different in quality.
It's not that black and white is it. Messi has won it multiple times but didn't win it each time with that amount of goals though. He has still won the same trophy with much lesser goals too. It depends on external factors too like strength of the opposition which varies from year to year. That's why i stress that it's good to look at each year in isolation as the league and difficulty keeps changing.

Siorac

It's not that black and white is it. Messi has won it multiple times but didn't win it each time with that amount of goals though. He has still won the same trophy with much lesser goals too. It depends on external factors too like strength of the opposition which varies from year to year. That's why i stress that it's good to look at each year in isolation as the league and difficulty keeps changing.
But there are clear and obvious trends. There are fluctuations, yes, but you can still make some predictions with reasonable confidence: for example, that 53 points won't be enough for Champions League qualification because really, it never is. And even if our hypothetical team finishes, say, 5th due to some freakish distribution of results across the league, it's still clear that unless massive changes are made, it will be a mid-table side next season.

DBT85

If Nagelsmann was the one to replace him, he'd get crucified as would we if it wasn't working out. "why did you hire him, he's won nothing, barely even played" etc etc

Anyone but Southgate

billybee99

Come on man! Enough with the semantics. I get that every season is different and the strength of opposition changes from year to year but 53 points is still 53 points. We are on pace for 53 points. It's a disgrace. And you can keep going on and on about not comparing points totals from one season to another but no amount of mental gymnastics changes the fact that we are horrible and Ole's record this year is horrible and it would be horrible in ANY year.

billybee99

I somewhat agree with posters making the point that there's no need for hyperbole on either side of the ole in/out debate. I'm firmly Ole out but you can't whitewash the man completely. He does have certain qualities, like he has kept morale relatively high despite appalling results, young players feel confident playing under him.

At the same time, the stats don't lie. The run of form since after PSG has been appalling. The Ole in crowd will point to injuries and being unlucky etc etc. Ole has been doing this too, saying the goals just needed to be moved an inch or two to the left or whatever. But it's not bad luck.It's what points to, imo, his ultimate failing as a manager and why he will most likely never be good enough for a club this size.

Another poster can't remember who it was hit the nail on the head by saying 'he only plans for the best ever possible scenario' or words to that effect. And that in a nutshell is what makes him such a terrible manager. This might have been that same quality that made him one of the best ever supersubs. That level of belief in a positive outcome, despite the odds, might be what drove him to score so many goals in the last 20 mins of matches.

As a manager though it is an appalling quality and why so many of us saw a big fecking red flag appearing on the horizon when he decided to go into this season with such a light attacking force. There was also no guarantee at that time that Rashford would elevate himself to a level where he was basically carrying the team, so the mind kind of boggles as to where we would be now, if we had had the Rashford of last season.

Ole's chief failure is contingency planning. A good manager/leader would plan for the worst possible situations they can face, so that when those situations arise they can be dealt with. All the 'Ole in' posters saying 'he was so unlucky with injuries etc'. No, he wasn't unlucky. We became overstretched over the season as he was overplaying players in every competition trying desperately to get results to save his bacon, and thats what led to an injury crisis. From the beginning of the season he should have been looking at all the things that could have gone wrong and how things would start playing out when the chips were down.

I think he's a victim of being too fecking positive. Part of what must be so seductive about his management to the 'Ole in' crowd as it's like the complete polar opposite of Jose, who would control for all factors in a football match, even if that meant crushing the life out of it as a joyous enterprise. Ole is all about belief, positivity, Man Utd DNA, young players etc etc. In his head he probably thought Lingard and Pereira were gonna tear it up as attacking midfielders because they were Man Utd academy lads with the right DNA and just needed that belief to elevate them to the next level.

But the reality about Ole as a manager and in general the 'Ole In' crowd is that It's simply dreadfully fecking naive. The red flags were right there when we sold lukaku, loaned and sanchez and didn't try to replace them. How rose tinted can you get that you are going to send out that team into the money laden premier league against managers who do understand how to plan for the worst possible situations, because they don't have the players that are going to nick them a result. The only reason it hasn't been awful is we have some seriously good players who can dig us out a result every now and then, even against the best teams in the league. All in all though he's extremely lightweight as a manager and doesn't have the ruthless qualities of a SAF or a Klopp or a Guardiola.

The other massive red flag is how matey he is with the other managers, particularly Klopp and Guardiola. He's all smiles after games with them and I agree with RvP, after that kind of sh*t 'now is not the time to be smiling'. I doubt Klopp or Guardiola would be that matey with him if the roles were reversed and their team was languishing in 7th, unable to open up defences and turning their home stadium into the dampest of damp squibs. Their blood would be fecking boiling in such a situation, because not winning is like a personal affront. The fact Ole's started saying all kinds of Moyesy kind of things post match now really should be the final nail in the coffin of any hope. He's unable to deal with it, same way Moyes wasn't, so he's just saying stuff now to help him avoid facing the harsh fecking reality of the situation.

And now in these threads we're getting the same kind of tactic from the vociferous 'ole in' crowd. Saying anything they can to avoid confronting reality. Resorting to ad hominems because deep down they know the arguments for him as manager are weak as sh*t. The excuses that are being created seem to constantly evolve and become more and more delusional. 'Klopp needed time'. 'We almost sacked SAF after one year' 'Noone could have foreseen Pogba and Rashford getting injured' (btw yes they could and thousands did) 'its the board and the glazers (he spent £150m on players in one season, most midtable clubs would be lucky to spend that in 5) etc etc.

Positivity is a good thing and it's the main weapon 'Ole IN' crowd have used against everyone who has highlighted lack of planning or poor decisions; 'so much negativity and moaning blah blah'. But, sometimes positivity just turns into downright delusion, a fear of facing the cold hard reality of the situation. And when it gets to this point, it's hard to even say that it's actually even positivity anymore. Delusion isn't a positive thing, it's negativity shielded by a layer of fantasy.

The stats don'e lie, they are as real as it gets. At the moment we need some reality.

Bit of a rant and I'm obviously largely preaching to the choir, but my 2 cents anyway.
Brilliant, epic post. So well written in fact, that I have not seen a single rebuttal which is rare.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Come on man! Enough with the semantics. I get that every season is different and the strength of opposition changes from year to year but 53 points is still 53 points. We are on pace for 53 points. It's a disgrace. And you can keep going on and on about not comparing points totals from one season to another but no amount of mental gymnastics changes the fact that we are horrible and Ole's record this year is horrible and it would be horrible in ANY year.
The last year we won the title, Liverpool finished 7th on 61 points. Eighth place had 49.

bleedred

I am one of the fans who is still unsure about Ole.

He has not helped himself by saying some rather dumb statements in his interviews and press conferences.

However; there is one thing we cannot argue is that, with such negativity surrounding the club, he has kept players motivated, the team morale high. Clearly, the players believe in hi.

Manutd was a very toxic place when he got here, players from different managers, not understanding what Mnautd is about. We knew we had to re-build but this doesn't happen overnight.

It is like building a house, you have to start with foundations, it takes time. If done right, you demolish the existing one and start again rather than having a new roof then new plumbing, then a new extension.

Just because your friend down the road started his rebuild 4 years before you did whilst you were busy replacing the roof, electrics with expensive stuff. We bought expensive taps, lights in Lukaku, Sanchez without fixing the problems.

This is a process and patience is required, I would rather have a thin squad this season and see how Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Williams, Fred, Lingard, Perreira, McTominay, AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw react.

Clearly, we have seen some flops out of those and we know we cannot rely on them going forward. So now we are getting to a stage we know our core. DDG, AWB, Maguire, Rashy.

This is better than going into another season with a massive squad and having question marks over players.
Would you rebuild your house with a licensed contractor or give the job to your best mate who lived with you in the house few years back and has been laying bricks since he moved out?

romufc

Would you rebuild your house with a licensed contractor or give the job to your best mate who lived with you in the house few years back and has been laying bricks since he moved out?
ofcourse it would be a licensed contractor but the principles will be the same to build bottom up.

But you would be keen to try your best mate because 2 of the previous licensed contractors completely botched the job up.

el3mel

True. Only 13 games remaining. We won only 9 out of our first 25. How many games are people expecting us to win from those remaining 13 ? I would say only 5 or 6 at best. Can anyone predict more ?

bleedred

ofcourse it would be a licensed contractor but the principles will be the same to build bottom up.

But you would be keen to try your best mate because 2 of the previous licensed contractors completely botched the job up.
It would be absolutely foolish to do so and if we just keep random blokes on the street chance to build your house , considering the "experts" have failed, you would just be living in a pile of rubble for a long time.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Can you send this to Ed please?
I'm sure he already knows. Ole is here because it suits the Glazers in further milking the club. Not because they think he's the most qualified for the job.

This youth exercise is absolutely pointless. What mentality is he supposed to be instilling into them? The loser mentality?

The direction of suspending all expectations and letting your current standards fall into the abyss is beyond moronic.

I seriously question the judgement of anyone who actually believes in this rebuild plan under Ole.

Last edited:

dove

I'm sure he already knows. Ole is here because it suits the Glazers in further milking the club. Not because they think he's the most qualified for the job. I seriously question the judgement of anyone who actually believes in this rebuild plan under Ole.
To be fair I am not sure he suits Glazers. They probably thought it would suit, bring an Ex player who is liked by everybody, can't say a negative word about anything, doesn't complain and loves the club. Little did they know that Ole is more out of his depth than Moyes was and is doing a terrible job. I don't think they expected us to be this bad. Us not being a CL club anymore and being a laughing stock in Europe not only hurts us financially but damages club's brand and reputation. I don't think they like that. Their ideal guy to manage the club is someone who is like Ole but not that clueless and finishes 4th every year.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
To be fair I am not sure he suits Glazers. They probably thought it would suit, bring an Ex player who is liked by everybody, can't say a negative word about anything, doesn't complain and loves the club. Little did they know that Ole is more out of his depth than Moyes was and is doing a terrible job. I don't think they expected us to be this bad. Us not being a CL club anymore and being a laughing stock in Europe not only hurts us financially but damages club's brand and reputation. I don't think they like that. Their ideal guy to manage the club is someone who is like Ole but not that clueless and finishes 4th every year.
That's exactly what i was referring to. Ideally, they just want a placid, friendly face to keep the fans distracted, so they can quietly carry on taking the money out. Unfortunately for them, Ole is so bad, he can't even perform moderately.

I agree, that's what they wanted Mourinho to be happy with, the summer after finishing 2nd.

Ludens the Red

I somewhat agree with posters making the point that there's no need for hyperbole on either side of the ole in/out debate. I'm firmly Ole out but you can't whitewash the man completely. He does have certain qualities, like he has kept morale relatively high despite appalling results, young players feel confident playing under him.

At the same time, the stats don't lie. The run of form since after PSG has been appalling. The Ole in crowd will point to injuries and being unlucky etc etc. Ole has been doing this too, saying the goals just needed to be moved an inch or two to the left or whatever. But it's not bad luck.It's what points to, imo, his ultimate failing as a manager and why he will most likely never be good enough for a club this size.

Another poster can't remember who it was hit the nail on the head by saying 'he only plans for the best ever possible scenario' or words to that effect. And that in a nutshell is what makes him such a terrible manager. This might have been that same quality that made him one of the best ever supersubs. That level of belief in a positive outcome, despite the odds, might be what drove him to score so many goals in the last 20 mins of matches.

As a manager though it is an appalling quality and why so many of us saw a big fecking red flag appearing on the horizon when he decided to go into this season with such a light attacking force. There was also no guarantee at that time that Rashford would elevate himself to a level where he was basically carrying the team, so the mind kind of boggles as to where we would be now, if we had had the Rashford of last season.

Ole's chief failure is contingency planning. A good manager/leader would plan for the worst possible situations they can face, so that when those situations arise they can be dealt with. All the 'Ole in' posters saying 'he was so unlucky with injuries etc'. No, he wasn't unlucky. We became overstretched over the season as he was overplaying players in every competition trying desperately to get results to save his bacon, and thats what led to an injury crisis. From the beginning of the season he should have been looking at all the things that could have gone wrong and how things would start playing out when the chips were down.

I think he's a victim of being too fecking positive. Part of what must be so seductive about his management to the 'Ole in' crowd as it's like the complete polar opposite of Jose, who would control for all factors in a football match, even if that meant crushing the life out of it as a joyous enterprise. Ole is all about belief, positivity, Man Utd DNA, young players etc etc. In his head he probably thought Lingard and Pereira were gonna tear it up as attacking midfielders because they were Man Utd academy lads with the right DNA and just needed that belief to elevate them to the next level.

But the reality about Ole as a manager and in general the 'Ole In' crowd is that It's simply dreadfully fecking naive. The red flags were right there when we sold lukaku, loaned and sanchez and didn't try to replace them. How rose tinted can you get that you are going to send out that team into the money laden premier league against managers who do understand how to plan for the worst possible situations, because they don't have the players that are going to nick them a result. The only reason it hasn't been awful is we have some seriously good players who can dig us out a result every now and then, even against the best teams in the league. All in all though he's extremely lightweight as a manager and doesn't have the ruthless qualities of a SAF or a Klopp or a Guardiola.

The other massive red flag is how matey he is with the other managers, particularly Klopp and Guardiola. He's all smiles after games with them and I agree with RvP, after that kind of sh*t 'now is not the time to be smiling'. I doubt Klopp or Guardiola would be that matey with him if the roles were reversed and their team was languishing in 7th, unable to open up defences and turning their home stadium into the dampest of damp squibs. Their blood would be fecking boiling in such a situation, because not winning is like a personal affront. The fact Ole's started saying all kinds of Moyesy kind of things post match now really should be the final nail in the coffin of any hope. He's unable to deal with it, same way Moyes wasn't, so he's just saying stuff now to help him avoid facing the harsh fecking reality of the situation.

And now in these threads we're getting the same kind of tactic from the vociferous 'ole in' crowd. Saying anything they can to avoid confronting reality. Resorting to ad hominems because deep down they know the arguments for him as manager are weak as sh*t. The excuses that are being created seem to constantly evolve and become more and more delusional. 'Klopp needed time'. 'We almost sacked SAF after one year' 'Noone could have foreseen Pogba and Rashford getting injured' (btw yes they could and thousands did) 'its the board and the glazers (he spent £150m on players in one season, most midtable clubs would be lucky to spend that in 5) etc etc.

Positivity is a good thing and it's the main weapon 'Ole IN' crowd have used against everyone who has highlighted lack of planning or poor decisions; 'so much negativity and moaning blah blah'. But, sometimes positivity just turns into downright delusion, a fear of facing the cold hard reality of the situation. And when it gets to this point, it's hard to even say that it's actually even positivity anymore. Delusion isn't a positive thing, it's negativity shielded by a layer of fantasy.

The stats don'e lie, they are as real as it gets. At the moment we need some reality.

Bit of a rant and I'm obviously largely preaching to the choir, but my 2 cents anyway.
Hope you dropped the mic after that ..

AC1689

Thread closed.

Brafeckingvo.

Wolfmother

Supports
Man Utd
Yup. I don't get it personally but I respect someone who's honest and says they want him to stay because they see him as a legend and it's all based on sentiment. Unfortunately the 'Ole in brigade' dismiss this notion and twist everything with lies and propaganda to suit their agenda.
Wow. Did you see what you just wrote? How about some of us look behind stats. Who, why and when? This thread has gone insane. Last pages purely repetitive from the same posters.
No wonder people are moving platforms..
Thank feck this is not the quality of the average Man Utd supporter. It would make it hard going through the tough times..

Womp

idiot
Wow. Did you see what you just wrote? How about some of us look behind stats. Who, why and when? This thread has gone insane. Last pages purely repetitive from the same posters.
No wonder people are moving platforms..
Thank feck this is not the quality of the average Man Utd supporter. It would make it hard going through the tough times..
So basically, you didn't address anything he said in his post. Seems to be a consistent theme with people who want him to stay our manager. Nice.

BlackBen

Great post. Hit the nail on the head on every single point.

Wolfmother

Supports
Man Utd
So basically, you didn't address anything he said in his post. Seems to be a consistent theme with people who want him to stay our manager. Nice.
I didn’t? Maybe I didn’t, if subs isnt part of tactics. But from my memory I did just that, put my though on the thought behind the tactics..
It’s one thing calling ole idiot. But maybe write something to why? Critical of subs are all good. But maybe say something about their thought of options? From where I was sitting there wasn’t many.. But that doesn’t seem to matter much to some..

Alabaster Codify7

Great post. Hit the nail on the head on every single point.
There's not a single thing Ole is doing that represents "the United way". The closest thing is playing SOME youngsters SOME of the time but even Ferguson did this correctly by playing them in a settled,focused team surrounded by good role models. Ole will ruin our youngsters.

BlackBen

There's not a single thing Ole is doing that represents "the United way". The closest thing is playing SOME youngsters SOME of the time but even Ferguson did this correctly by playing them in a settled,focused team surrounded by good role models. Ole will ruin our youngsters.
Agreed, hence why I’m lauding the post. Because the poster said Ole in his head thinks he’s representing the United Way whiles most evidence points to the contrary .

Alabaster Codify7

Agreed, hence why I’m lauding the post. Because the poster said Ole in his head thinks he’s representing the United Way whiles most evidence points to the contrary .

It's mad. The fans are being fed a dogshit sandwich and being told that it's Nutella, and a lot are actually believing this because it's coming from a friendly face. Someone should honestly write a paper on this in a few years, I've genuinely never seen anything like it before.

Caesar2290

So basically Arsene Wenger then.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I saw a question here that I would actually like answered by Ole in crowd. What exactly has Ole done that other good coaches eg Pochettino can't do?

jamesjimmybyrondean

It's mad. The fans are being fed a dogshit sandwich and being told that it's Nutella, and a lot are actually believing this because it's coming from a friendly face. Someone should honestly write a paper on this in a few years, I've genuinely never seen anything like it before.
I'm sure it's been explained in the 48 laws of power or a psychology textbook. But it's amazing honestly. People genuinely think Ole is making progress. They think He's promoted youth, cleared out deadwood, and making good decisions in the transfer window when he really hasn't

GenZRed

It's vexing to think that in 2013, had we prepared properly we could have gone for Carlo Ancelotti, Jose Mourinho or even Pep. Instead the baord fall for romantic nonsense by appointing bloody David Moyes, essentially because he is Scottish. Then the board AGAIN fell for romantic bull but appointing OGS permanently just because he had a good run of form after being appointed interim manager.

I know Mourinho didn't work out as we would have liked but had we appointed him in 2013 he could have reshaped the team when it was ripe to be rebulit and he could have spend the hundreds of millions that LvG pissed up the wall in a more effective manner.

Seriously. No other top club is ran as poorly as us. We need a DOF who actually knows football, and coaches who can actually coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.