Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

I can see where people are coming from who say that many fans cannot seperate Ole the player from Ole the manager. I also get the match going fans who have been brought up to back the manager no matter what.

I will give Ole credit for bringing in players with the right character for the club,however I worry that because his coaching isn't good they are going to stagnate under him.

Why he doesn't ask for staff who are experienced level coaches rather than just members of the Utd old boys club I haven't a clue.

mu4c_20le

Throwing away another season as we're always way too late to make the inevitable, obvious decisions. I'm sick of this sentimentality rubbish, I can seperate the player from the manager.
Shame you are ten thousand miles away from Old Trafford. We need more fans like you, to show them how it's done.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I am yet to see this, in an explicit way anyway and not his agent saying “Pogba should be at a club”

Also to note about Ole smiling in pressers.....we all saw Ole going MENTAL at Lingard the other night.

That’s Ole letting slip what he’s like behind closed doors, if i was a betting man, I wouldn’t bet against it being true
Ole's smiling at the camera, he must be a beast in the dressing room
Ole's going mental at the camera, he must be like that behind close door.

Doesn't matter what Ole shows, he's always what you want him to be

Womp

idiot
Shame you are ten thousand miles away from Old Trafford. We need more fans like you, to show them how it's done.
Good rebuttal. My geographical location must be why I can see things objectively rather than hopelessly clinging onto hope that useless manager with no evidence of capability, past or present, may be good enough for Manchester United.

Oh look, I have no proper response to any of the points made as my blind faith isn't enough justification for some posters, let me question his geographical location as if it has any relevance to his opinion, despite the post not once mentioning location.

You do also realise that Ole and the owners associated with the club also aren't of British origin, right? So your point should apply to them too. Especially considering the people you are putting so much faith in have been nothing but complete failures for approaching a decade now.

Last edited:

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
United have the worst combined crossing and set piece conversion out of any team bar one in the bundesliga, la liga, serie a, EPL, and Ligue 1.

Utterly pathetic coaching

Wolfmother

Supports
Man Utd
Stupid as in their timing, that's all. Nothing else, your entire tactical breakdown, I didn't ask for that so yeah you didn't really read what I posted but somehow you try to finesse an answer for it.
Finesse an answer over it? My take on subs, they are tactical changes. If you don’t know what subs are for, I don’t understand why you call Ole stupid. Just say they where to late and not being able to say what was needed or what actually happened or didn’t happen with them isn’t really a very good criticism, is it?
I know substance isn’t a great hit by quite a few posters on here.. But I apologize! Thought you where talking about tactics, not just making subs for the fun of it.

redcafe_reader

To be honest, I think the match goer we have at Old Trafford is nothing to be proud of. Given that we have the largest stadium among the EPL for a very long time, the amount of noise made in Old Trafford is inexcusable.

SAF talked about it before, Roy Keane talked about it before, I would say maybe some match goer at Old Trafford really need to be shown "how it's done". You are there to support the team, not just watching.

Also, it's 2020, Manchester United is a club with a big global fan base for some time now, I think it's time to part way with this Brexit attitude.

jamesjimmybyrondean

At least we know now that if we have an imbalanced squad due to injuries Ole is not good at managing such a situation and handling such crisis. If we have an injury crisis again under Ole I'm expecting losses to the likes of Burnley, Newcastle, Bournemouth etc. If such injury crisis occurs again I'll discard the current performances because I know Ole doesnt know how to manage a team in such a situation. I'll once again start hoping for players returning because that's the only way Ole can turn it around

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't understand why everything has to be so polarised here between Ole in and Ole out. Both arguments have some merit.

There's no plan, no tactics/The plan is clear

Ole, McKenna and Carrick are all quite inexperienced at this level and that has shown in a few matches and substitutions. But at the same time they have outwitted some very tactically astute managers. Negating Klopp's full backs, for instance, exploiting Pep's defence and creating spaces for the forwards to run into etc. Often it's not the most brilliant of tacttics, but Wolves play on the counter alot as did SAF, so why is Ole battered as naive for it.

On the other hand though you have had some great performances, others have been unacceptable, with no intensity and seemingly no creativity. This can't be allowed to go on and Ole, if he can needs to eradicate these as soon as possible. But Liverpool aside, there's no team that has put in consistently good performances all season so Utd doesn't differ from other PL teams in that respect.

There's no coaching/Players are improving

This criticism I disagree with, again it might not be the very best, but there is definitely improvement from players. Fred, McT, Rashford, AWB, Greenwood have all improved as the season has gone on. They all seem to know what they are meant to be doing, is it the best plan? Maybe not but to say there is no coaching is just not true.

He left us with a threadbare squad/We've been unlucky with injuries

Losing Sanchez and Lukaku in the summer was definitely a hit, but both were reportedly negative influences on your squad and many people here wanted them gone. My reading of this is that Ole wanted replacements in the summer, he said they would be replaced and the Ed and Judge let him down and failed to recruit in time. In the recent window, I think you were unlucky with Haaland, the belief at OT was I think that they expected him to join. Fernandes looks a good signing, time will tell.

You've definitely been unlucky with injuries, every squad suffers from them, but losing Pogba, Martial, Rashford and McT for long periods is a massive hot that not many teams could take. Had Ole been backed in the summer properly and you'd brought in another CM and FW things would be very different - is this Ole's fault .... honestly none of us know what really goes on behind the scenes.

Sir Alex was given time why not Ole?

You can't compare the two at all, different people, different times and different circumstances. But equally it is very unfair to compare Ole's career so far with SAF's entire career. Just because SAF came good it doesn't mean that Ole will but at the same time it doesn't mean Ole will fail badly either. But Ole has managed one thing that no other manager post SAF has though and that's to truly build a sense of team and keep the dressing room on side through some appalling results, that has to be to his credit, the players obviously believe that something here is right.

Whether Ole is building something good or just not good enough is difficult to tell at the moment as not everything is going wrong, but at the same time it certainly isn't right either. I think the real argument here is, would a new manager now improve things or set things back again?
You're far too generous to Ole. The arguments in his favour clearly tread of very thin water. It's been a record breakingly rubbish season and the football is still sterile and dysfunctional. Everyone is entitled to their own view, but leaving aside sentiment and on the basis of facts, the Ole in/Ole is the right man argument is definitely more of a brave/daring/hopeful shout. The fact that those who rate Ole and his peformance as United manager are mostly confined to a shrinking section of the United fans and nobody from outside, tells you much of what is needed to know.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Finesse an answer over it? My take on subs, they are tactical changes. If you don’t know what subs are for, I don’t understand why you call Ole stupid. Just say they where to late and not being able to say what was needed or what actually happened or didn’t happen with them isn’t really a very good criticism, is it?
I know substance isn’t a great hit by quite a few posters on here.. But I apologize! Thought you where talking about tactics, not just making subs for the fun of it.
I'll say it again, you respond without properly reading first. I never called Ole stupid, I said his decision was, massive difference there. My mistake for even engaging with you, the arrogance you display when arguing about something that wasn't even talked about it in the first place is special. Take a step back, read what's posted and then reply accordingly. Your love for him is blinding you or maybe it's how you are by default.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Though when you're in the 'Ole in brigade' you have carte blanche to critique anyone and everything bar the manager. But here's the catch, if a signing comes good or we get a good result, Ole is the oracle. When we lose, sheesh it's that the team is crap, Woodward is Woodward, the ball was only 93% inflated, injuries etc. It's mental gymnastics at it's finest, all to avoid the awkward truth that Ole is a really poor manager who's doing an utterly horrendous job.
Yeah, our players are apparently good enough to beat “the top 6” but when we struggle to beat anyone in the bottom half - our players are crap, half of them championship level at best, & no manager could do better. Bit of a contradiction.

Let’s just hope we can put a run together for top 4.

Last edited:

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
:lol:

What can one do but laugh?

I knew this season was dead and buried before a ball was even kicked but I'm terrified he'll still be in the job at start of next season.

Wolfmother

Supports
Man Utd
I'll say it again, you respond without properly reading first. I never called Ole stupid, I said his decision was, massive difference there. My mistake for even engaging with you, the arrogance you display when arguing about something that wasn't even talked about it in the first place is special. Take a step back, read what's posted and then reply accordingly. Your love for him is blinding you or maybe it's how you are by default.
I read your post. I also read your posts in other threads saying the same. I also read your post building it up. I don’t understand what was arrogant!? Bringing up the tactics part of it? Or the response to all your laughing smilies?

After all, the subs should won us the game with the chance it created. If you don’t think subs is part of tactics, that is fine by me. But your post didn’t contain any substance, did it.
I keep reading about this blind faith. But how about analyzing what is happening in front of you before casting stones? Me for one had to look at the Dalot sub twice before I got it. Maybe the ones laughing at it didn’t, have to, I don’t know.
Have you noticed many of the best fotball posters have stopped posting at this forum? Wonder why.. If lifting your OP to a tactical debate where he actually got it right, and changed things in game to adjust several times has nothing to do with subs, lack of possibilities And so on. This is your initial post. I make sure to read it more times, so I can get it right :)

Can someone explain to me the idea behind making 2 subs that late ? That shit has nothing to do with not having the right players, it has nothing to do with Woodward. This is just Ole making a very stupid decision.
The club's situation can be explained by several things happening at the same time but Ole can still be heavily criticized for some of his decisions during game.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I read your post. I also read your posts in other threads saying the same. I also read your post building it up. I don’t understand what was arrogant!? Bringing up the tactics part of it? Or the response to all your laughing smilies?

After all, the subs should won us the game with the chance it created. If you don’t think subs is part of tactics, that is fine by me. But your post didn’t contain any substance, did it.
I keep reading about this blind faith. But how about analyzing what is happening in front of you before casting stones? Me for one had to look at the Dalot sub twice before I got it. Maybe the ones laughing at it didn’t, have to, I don’t know.
Have you noticed many of the best fotball posters have stopped posting at this forum? Wonder why.. If lifting your OP to a tactical debate where he actually got it right, and changed things in game to adjust several times has nothing to do with subs, lack of possibilities And so on. This is your initial post. I make sure to read it more times, so I can get it right :)
The arrogance is highlighted here " I know substance isn’t a great hit by quite a few posters on here", like somehow you operate on higher plane than the usual caftard. All your tactical breakdown is fine, I've only talking about the particular aspect of the timing of subs while you've gone on about something else entirely as is your right but whatever, I just don't see how it's linked with what I said. All in all, we drew (again) against Wolves in a must win game while Ole made 2 subs very late in the game, those are simple facts that show us Ole isn't the type of positive and courageous manager to take us forward. He's done this (very late and weird subs) several times since he's been appointed. Of all the things he directly impacts, Ole isn't doing a very good job IMHO.

Eddy_JukeZ

:lol:

What can one do but laugh?

I knew this season was dead and buried before a ball was even kicked but I'm terrified he'll still be in the job at start of next season.
I have that same fear.

Just imagine we slightly improve next season. He might get a contract extension.

Alabaster Codify7

Look at his results at the beginning of the season with a fully fit squad.

That right there is Ole's pinnacle. Mid-table points return with a fully fit team. That is as good as it gets under this management team, even if Pogba, Rashford and Scott returned next week we would still go W-D-L-D-L-W or similar because that's Ole's level.

Greck

Look at his results at the beginning of the season with a fully fit squad.

That right there is Ole's pinnacle. Mid-table points return with a fully fit team. That is as good as it gets under this management team, even if Pogba, Rashford and Scott returned next week we would still go W-D-L-D-L-W or similar because that's Ole's level.
Yep Pogba was "slowing us down" and 'Mctominay and Pogba don't work in the same midfield' was the belief. A couple months off and that's now the dream team that would have shot us to top 4.

Alabaster Codify7

Yep Pogba was "slowing us down" and 'Mctominay and Pogba don't work in the same midfield' was the belief. A couple months off and that's now the dream team that would have shot us to top 4.

You know what they call that, man?

Moving the goalposts.

It is nothing but excuse after disgusting excuse to defend an inept manager churning out inept results.

Same with Martial when he was injured, when he came back our goals were suddenly going to fly in with a 'proper striker' and yet here we are with one goal in god knows how many games.

Pathetic.

Robbie Boy

The arrogance is highlighted here " I know substance isn’t a great hit by quite a few posters on here", like somehow you operate on higher plane than the usual caftard. All your tactical breakdown is fine, I've only talking about the particular aspect of the timing of subs while you've gone on about something else entirely as is your right but whatever, I just don't see how it's linked with what I said. All in all, we drew (again) against Wolves in a must win game while Ole made 2 subs very late in the game, those are simple facts that show us Ole isn't the type of positive and courageous manager to take us forward. He's done this (very late and weird subs) several times since he's been appointed. Of all the things he directly impacts, Ole isn't doing a very good job IMHO.
You're wasting your time with that one, Kouroux.

Web of Bissaka

Genuine question - what is the actual plan for every game?

Just hope for the best?
That's what I'm seeing.

It's like..
Ole: Alright boys, go out there and give it your all, for the fans, for the shirt. Attack and keep possession :)

Players: How do we attack?
Ole: Yes :)

Players: What to do with the possession?

Why Lingard is still playing?

Assuming we actually have a plan? Then it's a poor structured plan.

Robbie Boy

It's bit weird to think we're Manchester United isn't it? We've sunk so far, and feels like we've sunk so much further in the last year.
Weird that our fan base is divided too. I mean how anyone can think the job that Ole is doing is acceptable is absolutely beyond my comprehension. Standards are at rock bottom. This is much worse than under Moyes, make no mistake about that. At last under Moyes standards were still at SAF levels and the fan base unanimously agreed that he was doing a terrible job and had to go. Now though, we have these mad raving Ole fanatics spreading all sorts of propaganda; all this in an attempt to defend a truly awful manager.

Just for clarity: Moyes was sacked with a 53% win rate and Ole (combined spells) has a 50% win rate. Ole's win rate is also skewed due to the 'new manager bounce' effect during the season that Moyes didn't have the advantage of. But here we are, with massively declining standards and accepting a manager that is no better than Dalglish (second spell at Liverpool) who we all laughed at and said was fecking useless.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Point tally within the respective season is important no one denies that. Say if Liverpool had lesser point tally than last season and still won the league, would it matter? Or does it mean that they regressed? No I'm afraid. That's what Im trying to portray.
No but it's a scientific measure of quality. Like Forlan won La Pichi with something like 44 goals and when Messi won it with 74 goals. They both won it, but there is significant different in quality.

Mihai

Ahhh I remember that one! The trauma of it all.

@bucky @Mihai @Jacckk1985 not really sure why you guys are so defensive - I never claimed it to be a full training video.
It’s still a sucky video.
And our effort on the pitch shows a lack of coaching anyway.
"When United released the ‘training video’ of Bruno yesterday, and it was basically keepy-uppies between the keepers and a big game of pig in the middle with the first teamers - I knew that we did feck all in training."

You didn't claim to be a full training video, however, you came to the conclusion that "we did feck all in training" based on a short 2 minutes clip that captures the first 10-20 minutes of a training session. Hardly enough evidence to come to such a conclusion, don't you think?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
"When United released the ‘training video’ of Bruno yesterday, and it was basically keepy-uppies between the keepers and a big game of pig in the middle with the first teamers - I knew that we did feck all in training."

You didn't claim to be a full training video, however, you came to the conclusion that "we did feck all in training" based on a short 2 minutes clip that captures the first 10-20 minutes of a training session. Hardly enough evidence to come to such a conclusion, don't you think?
I know we do feck all in training because i've been watching us for the last 10 months. The 'training video' was a funny cherry on top & my comment was clearly tongue-in-cheek.

ranxerox

I somewhat agree with posters making the point that there's no need for hyperbole on either side of the ole in/out debate. I'm firmly Ole out but you can't whitewash the man completely. He does have certain qualities, like he has kept morale relatively high despite appalling results, young players feel confident playing under him.

At the same time, the stats don't lie. The run of form since after PSG has been appalling. The Ole in crowd will point to injuries and being unlucky etc etc. Ole has been doing this too, saying the goals just needed to be moved an inch or two to the left or whatever. But it's not bad luck.It's what points to, imo, his ultimate failing as a manager and why he will most likely never be good enough for a club this size.

Another poster can't remember who it was hit the nail on the head by saying 'he only plans for the best ever possible scenario' or words to that effect. And that in a nutshell is what makes him such a terrible manager. This might have been that same quality that made him one of the best ever supersubs. That level of belief in a positive outcome, despite the odds, might be what drove him to score so many goals in the last 20 mins of matches.

As a manager though it is an appalling quality and why so many of us saw a big fecking red flag appearing on the horizon when he decided to go into this season with such a light attacking force. There was also no guarantee at that time that Rashford would elevate himself to a level where he was basically carrying the team, so the mind kind of boggles as to where we would be now, if we had had the Rashford of last season.

Ole's chief failure is contingency planning. A good manager/leader would plan for the worst possible situations they can face, so that when those situations arise they can be dealt with. All the 'Ole in' posters saying 'he was so unlucky with injuries etc'. No, he wasn't unlucky. We became overstretched over the season as he was overplaying players in every competition trying desperately to get results to save his bacon, and thats what led to an injury crisis. From the beginning of the season he should have been looking at all the things that could have gone wrong and how things would start playing out when the chips were down.

I think he's a victim of being too fecking positive. Part of what must be so seductive about his management to the 'Ole in' crowd as it's like the complete polar opposite of Jose, who would control for all factors in a football match, even if that meant crushing the life out of it as a joyous enterprise. Ole is all about belief, positivity, Man Utd DNA, young players etc etc. In his head he probably thought Lingard and Pereira were gonna tear it up as attacking midfielders because they were Man Utd academy lads with the right DNA and just needed that belief to elevate them to the next level.

But the reality about Ole as a manager and in general the 'Ole In' crowd is that It's simply dreadfully fecking naive. The red flags were right there when we sold lukaku, loaned and sanchez and didn't try to replace them. How rose tinted can you get that you are going to send out that team into the money laden premier league against managers who do understand how to plan for the worst possible situations, because they don't have the players that are going to nick them a result. The only reason it hasn't been awful is we have some seriously good players who can dig us out a result every now and then, even against the best teams in the league. All in all though he's extremely lightweight as a manager and doesn't have the ruthless qualities of a SAF or a Klopp or a Guardiola.

The other massive red flag is how matey he is with the other managers, particularly Klopp and Guardiola. He's all smiles after games with them and I agree with RvP, after that kind of sh*t 'now is not the time to be smiling'. I doubt Klopp or Guardiola would be that matey with him if the roles were reversed and their team was languishing in 7th, unable to open up defences and turning their home stadium into the dampest of damp squibs. Their blood would be fecking boiling in such a situation, because not winning is like a personal affront. The fact Ole's started saying all kinds of Moyesy kind of things post match now really should be the final nail in the coffin of any hope. He's unable to deal with it, same way Moyes wasn't, so he's just saying stuff now to help him avoid facing the harsh fecking reality of the situation.

And now in these threads we're getting the same kind of tactic from the vociferous 'ole in' crowd. Saying anything they can to avoid confronting reality. Resorting to ad hominems because deep down they know the arguments for him as manager are weak as sh*t. The excuses that are being created seem to constantly evolve and become more and more delusional. 'Klopp needed time'. 'We almost sacked SAF after one year' 'Noone could have foreseen Pogba and Rashford getting injured' (btw yes they could and thousands did) 'its the board and the glazers (he spent £150m on players in one season, most midtable clubs would be lucky to spend that in 5) etc etc.

Positivity is a good thing and it's the main weapon 'Ole IN' crowd have used against everyone who has highlighted lack of planning or poor decisions; 'so much negativity and moaning blah blah'. But, sometimes positivity just turns into downright delusion, a fear of facing the cold hard reality of the situation. And when it gets to this point, it's hard to even say that it's actually even positivity anymore. Delusion isn't a positive thing, it's negativity shielded by a layer of fantasy.

The stats don'e lie, they are as real as it gets. At the moment we need some reality.

Bit of a rant and I'm obviously largely preaching to the choir, but my 2 cents anyway.
This

Mihai

Clearly. What is clear to me is that it became trendy on redcafe for people to make half-arsed arguments just to take another dig at Ole.

romufc

I am one of the fans who is still unsure about Ole.

He has not helped himself by saying some rather dumb statements in his interviews and press conferences.

However; there is one thing we cannot argue is that, with such negativity surrounding the club, he has kept players motivated, the team morale high. Clearly, the players believe in hi.

Manutd was a very toxic place when he got here, players from different managers, not understanding what Mnautd is about. We knew we had to re-build but this doesn't happen overnight.

It is like building a house, you have to start with foundations, it takes time. If done right, you demolish the existing one and start again rather than having a new roof then new plumbing, then a new extension.

Just because your friend down the road started his rebuild 4 years before you did whilst you were busy replacing the roof, electrics with expensive stuff. We bought expensive taps, lights in Lukaku, Sanchez without fixing the problems.

This is a process and patience is required, I would rather have a thin squad this season and see how Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Williams, Fred, Lingard, Perreira, McTominay, AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw react.

Clearly, we have seen some flops out of those and we know we cannot rely on them going forward. So now we are getting to a stage we know our core. DDG, AWB, Maguire, Rashy.

This is better than going into another season with a massive squad and having question marks over players.

Alabaster Codify7

This years even pts distribution masked how bad we are.

We wont be 5th any other year, not with 35 in 25. That's 1.4 avg per game.

It is a hilarious points return for a bloke who's now spent £200m on new players, that apparently fit his 'ethos' of what a United team should be. The man is completely clueless. Most damaging appointment we will have ever made, by the time they eventually sack him off.

Status
Not open for further replies.