Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Let's be honest, it's a great result but a team with a competent striker scores at least one first half goal, if not more.

We can cite numerous examples of individual performances that we enjoy today, but the team as a collective look disorganised defensively, and the patterns in our attacking play remain relatively poor.

lysglimt

Scout
People talk about Lloris, Vertonghen, Rose & Walker being there before Poch, but they were all part of the side that had shipped 51 goals in the league the previous season. The 11th best defensive record. They had a mediocre defence at the time.

Poch never inherited them at that level, that's for sure.

Because of what they become under Poch' coaching, that is another glossed over fact.
And they had a mediocre defense the season after - until Alderweireld entered the side, the season after that. Of course Pochettino helped - but there were other factors as well.

bucky

I just really want to see Mctominay, Rashford and Pogba back.
We should be playing better without them though. We looked like a team coming of an international break, not a break where the team had the chance to work together.

90 + 5min

Solskjaer-out crew doing their best to underrate this important win, away against tough side, where we always find it hard. Without some of our best players. Well, try harder. Because this was well executed game. A win, 3 p and and closer to Champions League.

talking robot

I know a large portion of supporters want him gone, and I totally respect that. I'm personally prepared to give him another year. I think he's done alright given the number of injuries to key players throughout the season and the lack of signings in the summer. We have won a fair share of big matches this year, and our biggest issue seems to be breaking down the smaller teams. My feeling is that solving this last part is more a matter of recruiting players with higher speed and technical ability than what he has at his disposal (and less a matter of his coaching abilities), and I think with the ability to recruit the players he wants in the summer that we will solve this issue. The signings he has made have been mostly quality, and have no reason to suspect that he won't keep doing the same as long as he is backed by the board.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Not much sign of Ole out in the away end tonight. Think I heard pretty much every Solskjaer song.

Phil Osophy

I just really want to see Mctominay, Rashford and Pogba back.
Pogba + Bruno together will give us another dimension as a team, especially against the deep defences, and adding Rashford's movement to that could be pure devilry. I have the feeling that we'll have a sweet ending of the season this time.

luke511

That post match Sky Sports interview was a weird one, getting asked about Raiola's comments shook him up, quite a bumbling response as well.

edgecutter

I know a large portion of supporters want him gone, and I totally respect that. I'm personally prepared to give him another year. I think he's done alright given the number of injuries to key players throughout the season and the lack of signings in the summer. We have won a fair share of big matches this year, and our biggest issue seems to be breaking down the smaller teams. My feeling is that solving this last part is more a matter of recruiting players with higher speed and technical ability than what he has at his disposal (and less a matter of his coaching abilities), and I think with the ability to recruit the players he wants in the summer that we will solve this issue. The signings he has made have been mostly quality, and have no reason to suspect that he won't keep doing the same as long as he is backed by the board.
We may as well have kept LVG if we think getting results against the big teams is enough to warrant keeping the job.

Great win tonight, but we don't look very creative and that has been a major issue for us and I still see us struggle towards the end of the season regardless of getting pogba back.

edgecutter

That post match Sky Sports interview was a weird one, getting asked about Raiola's comments shook him up, quite a bumbling response as well.
Surprised he struggled with that. All he had to do was say he doesn't respond through the media and be done with it.

talking robot

We may as well have kept LVG if we think getting results against the big teams is enough to warrant keeping the job.

Great win tonight, but we don't look very creative and that has been a major issue for us and I still see us struggle towards the end of the season regardless of getting Pogba back.
Not saying that big results are enough to warrant the job (though it helps). I'm saying that our major issue is breaking down teams at home, and I have enough confidence in the Solskjaer's recruitment to think that he will solve the problem given another summer. I agree with you that Pogba probably won't help much, and that we may struggle towards the end of the season (we're probably 60/40 against us for Champion's league qualification). Maybe Rashford and McTominay can help a bit, but it's not certain. In any case, regardless of how it goes at the end of the season, I'd like to see what Solskjaer can do with another window.

Riz

As do most of us!

If we can put in performances like this without our 3 best players, I believe we can be a pretty decent top 4 team with those three back in the team.

The question is whether you drop Fred. A good problem to have at last.
He’s literally our best player at the moment. Has been for months along with Rashford before he got injured.

Mr Smith

Don't feel he got the tactics quite right today and we were fortunate at times, but credit where it's due; getting a win and a clean sheet at Stamford Bridge with that team (on paper as weak as anything we've put out this season) is a great achievement in any circumstances.

Having said that, these type of games play into our hands a bit, and it's more games like the upcoming one against Watford that we should be judged on.

mu4c_20le

Ole is the first manager since SAF to win at Stamford Bridge, and he's done it three times now.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Solskjaer-out crew doing their best to underrate this important win, away against tough side, where we always find it hard. Without some of our best players. Well, try harder. Because this was well executed game. A win, 3 p and and closer to Champions League.
It's pretty depressing to read actually. This place is worse after a win than a loss. At least after a loss some criticism is warranted

mu4c_20le

In one season...
Well one of them was from last season in the FA cup, we did beat them 3 times this season, the 4-0 at home at the start.

His record against them is ridiculous, 4-0-1, and something like 12 goals scored, 2 conceded.

SteveW

Got it right again in an absolutely vital game. Great result away to Chelsea missing Lindelof, Scott, Pogba and Rashford. Deserves a lot of credit for it.

Bruno looks like an ideal signing. Each player he signs improves us. Needs to be backed 100% in the summer to continue the build.

Andersonson

Despite whatever happend in the match. VAR etc. 11vs11 we were better than Chelsea today again.

Credit where credit is due. Good game against a close rival. 2-0 win at the bridge is always a good feat

SteveW

Spot on.

sp_107

Ole said,

"Aaron has been working on his crossing, Anthony has been told X amount of times to get into the box - we had almost like an ongoing joke with Harry and his headers, it was about time.

He knew what has to change and he signed few good players already. so another year ? may not be the end of the world.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It's pretty depressing to read actually. This place is worse after a win than a loss. At least after a loss some criticism is warranted
I agree. I am Ole out, but a win at Stamford Bridge is no small feat, even if the team did ride their luck at times. It’s something that few pull off over the course of a season and he should be applauded.

It’s a great result and his players showed up tonight. I’m very excited about Bruno just for his delivery. Ole deserves all the praise tonight for a great win.

We don’t always need to be debating. This win was a great one.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Nice start of the week, perhaps despite the glaring issues Ole won't give up easily with Poch looking into United job, but there's so much calibration and work to be done with this team... Anyway, win fully appreciated.

jackal&hyde

Beat Lampard 3 times out of 3 this season, Pep 2 times out of 3, Mourinho once, Brendan Rodgers once. Players are improving on an individual level, 3 points from top 4 and in the FA cup and Europa League. With players coming back, it feels good.

DRM

Our problem with Ole was never not beating the top teams. It's consistency. We can go from beating city away to losing to some cannon fodder team at OT. Lets try and get 3 or 4 wins on the bounce before even thinking about getting into the top 4

Jeffthered

As do most of us!

If we can put in performances like this without our 3 best players, I believe we can be a pretty decent top 4 team with those three back in the team.

The question is whether you drop Fred. A good problem to have at last.
It was a good, welcome win at a ground at which we seem to do well. But they had plenty chances, we needed a dodgy VAR call, and Maguire was v v lucky.

We will beat Bruges (or we should...) but let's see how things go. But the general situation hasn't changed (re OGS) in my opinion.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The result in itself is great, performance not so much. Not winning the home games against easier opponents is still a problem, not beating Chelsea
With this team it is take each game on it's own merit, because you sure as hell don't know what is coming next. They showed some fight last night, which I did like, they will need that against Watford with the likes of Deeney.

Status
Not open for further replies.