Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Our football is the worst in the league?
Are people serious with this nonsense?
Surprisingly when you watch our full matches and watch MOTD for other teams, yes we might have boring moments. But overall we are a decent team to watch.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It's ridiculous because I strongly suspect that there are at least a dozen teams in our league that you havent watched more than 3 or 4 times at most. If that isnt the case, you should probably get out of the house more.

Edit: this was replying to Mainoldo

Yakuza_devils

Hope Watford don't sit back and counter attack tomorrow. We will be in for a dull game if that's the case. We can't breakdown deep lying defence.

Ole still doesn't have any tactical solution to team sitting deep vs us.

Everytime we are near to TOP 4 we bottled it. Hope tomorrow will be different.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
It's ridiculous because I strongly suspect that there are at least a dozen teams in our league that you havent watched more than 3 or 4 times at most. If that isnt the case, you should probably get out of the house more.

Edit: this was replying to Mainoldo
We quite clearly are one of the worst footballing sides in the league. We're a midtable side currently fighting off the likes of Wolves, Everton etc. yet in terms of resources, we're levels away from them. I said this last season as well, we're absolutely pathetic at this football malarkey.

ReddBalls

As a neutral I can clearly say United and Burnley are the worst teams to watch in the league.

To say you prefer United just means you prefer to be in our position and not in a relegation battle.
You're a neutral?

Then why do you care so much about who manages United?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Of course people would focus on Norwich. You're arguing that we should be playing football like the team bottom of the table are doing. It's there to be shot at.

Your point is clear. You think that all of these other teams play with some instantly recognisable formation and tactic, and United field XI blokes who just chase the ball around the pitch. Its bollocks, and you admitted yourself that you hardly watch any of those teams so you are just recycling opinions you may have read somewhere else.
The effect of Match of the day highlights and youtube compilations. They see these teams creating one chance/goal and believe they play like that for 90 minutes every game. I must be watching a different sport when i watch these teams actually play compared to how they are lauded on here.

90 + 5min

The fixation with Norwich is clearly an agenda. It came when I mentioned that there are teams that play better football/more structured and organized football than us even with lesser quality of players. The examples I gave touched on different positions on the table. I mentioned both Borrusia Monchengladbach and Leeds who are chasing their respective league titles while playing good football. I mentioned Sheffield who are chasing top 4 with us. And Norwich who are currently last. Somehow they all discarded the other clubs I mentioned and focused on Norwich. Maybe I should have used Southampton instead of Norwich. Even fecking Southampton plays a more structured football than us with lesser quality players.
Why do you have to lie?

Everyone in the league except us seem to have som structure according to you? Right? Than it is very funny how a team that is so bad coached and worthless can come to semifinal in League Cup, still be in Euroleague, Fa-cup and fighting for CL places? Without best players. With thin squad. Beating every top team this year and being only team that have taken points from Liverpool. But yeah, we are useless...

Probably didn't mention Liverpool because comparisons between them and Klopp are incredibly dull, not relevant anyway, and have been kicked to death on here already
I don’t need mentioning them. They are class above everyone this year.
As a neutral I can clearly say United and Burnley are the worst teams to watch in the league.

To say you prefer United just means you prefer to be in our position and not in a relegation battle.
No problem with saying that. That means that you like football performed by teams like Brighton, Bornmouth, Norwich, West Ham and more...

Our football is the worst in the league?
Are people serious with this nonsense?
Surprisingly when you watch our full matches and watch MOTD for other teams, yes we might have boring moments. But overall we are a decent team to watch.
It seems that way. The only answer I’ve got is that those people hate Solskjaer that much that they would say pretty much everything to discredit team and manager.
We quite clearly are one of the worst footballing sides in the league. We're a midtable side currently fighting off the likes of Wolves, Everton etc. yet in terms of resources, we're levels away from them. I said this last season as well, we're absolutely pathetic at this football malarkey.
We know that you are one of those dissliking Solskjaer. Can’t other teams be good or does it always have to be us that are bad? Don’t discredit Everton and Wolves. They are good teams and there is no shame fighting them for CL places. We are in the same position as Tottenham and Chelsea. Fighting for top 4.

When Leicester won League couple of years ago every top Premier League club should have kicked their manager? Right? Klopp, Guardiola...

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The effect of Match of the day highlights and youtube compilations. They see these teams creating one chance/goal and believe they play like that for 90 minutes every game. I must be watching a different sport when i watch these teams actually play compared to how they are lauded on here.
I doubt many people on here actually watch any more football than the average fan. I certainly dont, but I've seen enough of the PL to know that there are only two teams that play outstanding football with any consistency.

Nobody takes into account the disadvantages that come from playing a lot more regularly than the likes of Sheff Utd and Leicester, who rarely need to rotate their first XI as often as we do. It's just tired and over the top criticism from 'fans' who want to be at the front of the smug queue if Ole gets sacked. They've taken over this forum and hijack most threads with this kind of crap.

ReddBalls

One would be inclined to think that is the case. Also, if you watch United's goals this season, not the games, I understand why some believe United only plays counter attacking. Most goals are scored on counters.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
How does this work....when we were struggling and mid table (around 8th or so)....I read a a few posts on here saying how our squad is shit & mid table (some players championship level) and how we couldn’t expect any other manager to come in and perform better. (Even though even then we were always only a few wins away from top 4 as the table is quite congested in the middle).

Fast forward and we’re basically just a win or so away from top 4 still. So which is it, really? Either Ole is performing a miracle having us close to top 4 or actually, getting top 4 (& expecting on field coaching progress) wasn’t any sort of unrealistic expectation (considering the state of the league outside the “top 2”).

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
One would be inclined to think that is the case. Also, if you watch United's goals this season, not the games, I understand why some believe United only plays counter attacking. Most goals are scored on counters.
It's fair to say that, although if those goals were scored by other flavour of the month teams (managers) they would be seen as a sign those teams play great football.

I'm not saying we play consistently good football (largely due to the lack of quality of our attacking players for me) but other teams are overrated very easily.

Mainoldo

You can turn your Utd bias on and off at will? That's an impressive skill.
Yeah like when you banter with your friends and say crazy shite that you know aren’t true but you have to back your team. That bias.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
How does this work....when we were struggling and mid table (around 8th or so)....I read a a few posts on here saying how our squad is shit & mid table (some players championship level) and how we couldn’t expect any other manager to come in and perform better. (Even though even then we were always only a few wins away from top 4 as the table is quite congested in the middle).

Fast forward and we’re basically just a win or so away from top 4 still. So which is it, really? Either Ole is performing a miracle having us close to top 4 or actually, getting top 4 (& expecting on field coaching progress) wasn’t any sort of unrealistic expectation (considering the state of the league outside the “top 2”).
Most of the usual top 4 candidates are shit this year as welll. Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea. Us. It unsual to get top 4 with so little points.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Our squad isnt shit, or mid table. Far from it. What it is is an incomplete squad that has suffered some key injuries where we couldnt afford to, that has led to us having to play a large % of our fixtures with one or more of Lingard, Pereira and Mata and these players have all had very poor seasons so far. Its cost us a lot of points.

How is Ole doing? Matter of opinion but for me he is about par in terms of results but is ahead of the curve in terms of how long I thought it would take to gut and then improve this squad. We now have a first XI that I think is up there when all fit, and this summer will be about adding some depth and giving us some different tactical options.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Our squad isnt shit, or mid table. Far from it. What it is is an incomplete squad that has suffered some key injuries where we couldnt afford to, that has led to us having to play a large % of our fixtures with one or more of Lingard, Pereira and Mata and these players have all had very poor seasons so far. Its cost us a lot of points.

How is Ole doing? Matter of opinion but for me he is about par in terms of results but is ahead of the curve in terms of how long I thought it would take to gut and then improve this squad. We now have a first XI that I think is up there when all fit, and this summer will be about adding some depth and giving us some different tactical options.
All fair enough. Like you said bud, matter of opinion. I’ve been Ole out for a while as I don’t think he’s the guy that’s going to take us back to competing but I also agree that he’s done a lot of positive things during his tenure. I’ve always maintained, top 4 should be his goal. If he’s able to achieve it, I wouldn’t be against him getting some more time - albeit I’d still like to see a lot more improvement on the playing field. If not, he should go. Same rules as has applied to the rest, imo.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Most of the usual top 4 candidates are shit this year as welll. Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea. Us. It unsual to get top 4 with so little points.
Agreed with that. Outside of Leicester (& obviously Pool and city) who’s looked fairly good, the rest are all a bit “meh” & inconsistent. In any other year, we’d probably be well of the pace & contention for top 4 with our points tally.

zenith

All fair enough. Like you said bud, matter of opinion. I’ve been Ole out for a while as I don’t think he’s the guy that’s going to take us back to competing but I also agree that he’s done a lot of positive things during his tenure. I’ve always maintained, top 4 should be his goal. If he’s able to achieve it, I wouldn’t be against him getting some more time - albeit I’d still like to see a lot more improvement on the playing field. If not, he should go. Same rules as has applied to the rest, imo.
This

As a fan base, we should not be attached to one particular point of view. Things can change and it's not wrong to be flexible with opinion.

Why does it have to be ole in our ole out after every single game. It gets very tiresome.

If he does get top 4 and goes far in Europa and FA cup, I would not mind him continuing into the next season, as his recruitment and youth development has been his so far.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
This

As a fan base, we should not be attached to one particular point of view. Things can change and it's not wrong to be flexible with opinion.

Why does it have to be ole in our ole out after every single game. It gets very tiresome.

If he does get top 4 and goes far in Europa and FA cup, I would not mind him continuing into the next season, as his recruitment and youth development has been his so far.
I agree with you things are flexible and change over time. If Ole gets top four and there continue to be signs that we have a way of playing that involves movement between the lines, then i can accept it if he gets more time.

Ole out side don't do him any favours imo by constantly shifitng the goalposts when it comes to discussing his tenure, or acting like he isn't culpable in any way for mistakes that are made or bad performances. It's always the terrible players etc. But I don't remember him complaining when he took over. And he also has to accept some of the blame for the injuries from overplaying players and knowingly entering a season with a thin squad prepared to rely on youth players.

That being said, I would never write anyone off. However, at this point in time there are an awful lot of negatives against his tenure and it would take a lot to convince me.

Edit: To add I could buy into the argument 'he's quite inexperienced at this level, but there are signs he's learning even though he's made a lot of mistakes'. This argument has so much more credibility than 'Ole has never made any mistakes ever, when things don't go right for him as manager it's because of the cruellest twists of fate to have ever befallen a member of humankind. Our squad are midtable plodders and have been for the last few years and not even Klopp and SAF combined could escape relegation with this team etc'

Gasolin

I’m sure it is to you. You can’t see long ball football through your rose tinted Ole glasses. Enjoyed another entertaining showing from us on Thursday did you?
Long ball? Really?

6.18% – MNC
8.08% – MUN
8.50% – ARS
8.79% – CHE
9.03% – LEI
10.52% – BRI
10.76% – TOT
10.81% – LIV
11.03% – NOR
11.48% – BOU
12.21% – WHU
12.36% – PAL
12.61% – EVE
12.78% – AST
14.02% – WOL
14.21% – WAT
14.95% – SOU
15.17% – NEW
15.49% – SHE
18.35% – BUR

We are the team that does the 2nd lowest attempt in long ball, if anything, Ole is determined to build from the back and it shows it. And you are telling us we play long ball? You must not watch games, you must watch some strange highlights of worst moments in a game only.

BestRed

Well said. People on one hand say how shit Lingard, Pereira are and on the other rare on Ole for not being able to beat the low block when teams sit back against us. Do they not see the connection. Right now we lack any real creativity. Our most creative player Pogba hasn't played all season. We just brought in Bruno. We haven't had the players available all season to break these teams down. Give it time and these players, whether it be Bruno & Pogba, Grealish or whoever and chances are a lot of those dodgy results turn to wins.

passing-wind

I think when you consider the games we've lost (weaker opposition), when you consider the points tally for the top 10 this season (in any other competitive season we would have been way further down the table), when you consider how poor our rivals have been the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham this is easily the best season that any United manager post SAF would have had to attain a position in top four. When you factor in the extra champions league spot if City can't uplift their ban, then how Solskjaer can stay this season without finishing in the top 5 is a formality.

Kurton

What on earth are you talking about? I answered to posters saying that teams like Norwich and Leeds play proper football and that we don’t. I asked if that is what we should be aiming at? To be in relegation and championship so people would be pleased but playing like Norwich and Leeds.

Can you show me where I mentioned that if we play more attractive football we would get relegated? We have some problems, otherwise we wouldn’t be in this position but there is lot of stuff behind it.

Why should I comment on something that is right? Liverpool are better than us and play better football. I don’t know what is point with that.
Again for the nth time, the point of the post was to highlight that you can play attacking attractive football without having to have a team full world-class players, not that we should aim to get relegated or play in the championship. We should also try to play attractive football like the teams mentioned. Its you who made the connection with their relegation position when the post was talking about the style of play. By that it looks like you are implying that if we try to play an attractive style of play like Norwich, we'd also find ourselves in the same league position as them. The discussion came up because of the constant excuses that we have a lot of poor players so we see such crappy football, while the likes of Norwich with even worst squads manage to play some semblance of nice football. Their league position is irrelevant to the discussion as its mostly due to lack of quality which is not as big a problem for us (to fear relegation). I hope the point is clear.

Liverpool I brought up because you keep of mentioning Norwich, their style of play, and their league position. Liverpool also play nice football but are not getting relegated, so why would you not connect playing nice football and being in Liverpool's position but go on and on about Norwich?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I think when you consider the games we've lost (weaker opposition), when you consider the points tally for the top 10 this season (in any other competitive season we would have been way further down the table), when you consider how poor our rivals have been the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham this is easily the best season that any United manager post SAF would have had to attain a position in top four. When you factor in the extra champions league spot if City can't uplift their ban, then how Solskjaer can stay this season without finishing in the top 5 is a formality.
Yeah, I agree. The accountability should ultimately rest with the manager.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Again for the nth time, the point of the post was to highlight that you can play attacking attractive football without having to have a team full world-class players, not that we should aim to get relegated or play in the championship. We should also try to play attractive football like the teams mentioned. Its you who made the connection with their relegation position when the post was talking about the style of play. By that it looks like you are implying that if we try to play an attractive style of play like Norwich, we'd also find ourselves in the same league position as them. The discussion came up because of the constant excuses that we have a lot of poor players so we see such crappy football, while the likes of Norwich with even worst squads manage to play some semblance of nice football. Their league position is irrelevant to the discussion as its mostly due to lack of quality which is not as big a problem for us (to fear relegation). I hope the point is clear.
I gave up on replying to this topic. The point will never be clear to them

Mainoldo

Long ball? Really?

6.18% – MNC
8.08% – MUN
8.50% – ARS
8.79% – CHE
9.03% – LEI
10.52% – BRI
10.76% – TOT
10.81% – LIV
11.03% – NOR
11.48% – BOU
12.21% – WHU
12.36% – PAL
12.61% – EVE
12.78% – AST
14.02% – WOL
14.21% – WAT
14.95% – SOU
15.17% – NEW
15.49% – SHE
18.35% – BUR

We are the team that does the 2nd lowest attempt in long ball, if anything, Ole is determined to build from the back and it shows it. And you are telling us we play long ball? You must not watch games, you must watch some strange highlights of worst moments in a game only.
Difference is we play out from the back like a btec LVG side whilst City play passes in the opposition’s half. Watch us tomorrow tell me how many attacks we generate with a direct ball being pumped forward. So when I say long ball that’s exactly what I mean. There’s no gile in front of goal. But keep looking at the stats instead of using your eyes.

Shark

@NotShark

Liverpool I brought up because you keep of mentioning Norwich, their style of play, and their league position. Liverpool also play nice football but are not getting relegated, so why would you not connect playing nice football and being in Liverpool's position but go on and on about Norwich?
Manchester United right now are a one dimensional counter attacking team, which relies on individual brilliance/luck in games it's ineffective, which is basically most games that aren't against the top 6. That's exactly what I'd expect us to be under Ole and I expect nothing else because the guy has been managing for a decade and expecting him to transform into Pep/Klopp overnight is bat shit crazy. This is why it's lunacy to pass up opportunities to sign some of the best managers in the game to stick with this guy, but I'm sure we're stupid enough to.

90 + 5min

But what attacking attractive football do you mean? Norwich? Lets see those brilliant attacking football by Norwich that you love to mention.

Goals for - ManUtd (38), Norwich (24, worst in Premier League)
Goals against - ManUtd (29), Norwich (48 2nd worst in Premier League)
Total - ManUtd (+9), Norwich (-24, worst in Premier League)
Shots - ManUtd (382), Norwich (306)
Shots On Target - ManUtd (146), Norwich (100)
Passes - ManUtd (13,274), Norwich (11,983)

Stop implying that Norwich plays attacking football and we are useless.

You are wrong. Discussion came because you and your anti Solskjaer friends are implaying that almost every team and manager are better than us and our manager. League position is not irrelevant. That is why I said that you would clearly be happy being last in Premier League or playing in Championship than fighting for trophies if we only played like Norwich or Leeds. Because you like their style more than ours.

I gave up on replying to this topic. The point will never be clear to them
You gave up because you are wrong and darkness of hate is covering averything that is not in the "lets hate Solskjaer"-box.

Kurton

But what attacking attractive football do you mean? Norwich? Lets see those brilliant attacking football by Norwich that you love to mention.

You are wrong. Discussion came because you and your anti Solskjaer friends are implaying that almost every team and manager are better than us and our manager. League position is not irrelevant. That is why I said that you would clearly be happy being last in Premier League or playing in Championship than fighting for trophies if we only played like Norwich or Leeds. Because you like their style more than ours.

You gave up because you are wrong and darkness of hate is covering averything that is not in the "lets hate Solskjaer"-box.
The fact that you are comparing stats from teams with so much gulf in quality shows you are either deluded or just trolling. They just got promoted from Championship last year and their entire squad would not cost as much as our right back signing last season. Its funny you think if two teams play attacking football they should have same stats irrespective of the squad quality. Leeds have 49 goals for and 30 against, so are they better than us? Should the context that they play in Championship matter? Keep on with your rant, that is why @jamesjimmybyrondean deos not want to continue discussing with you, at some point one has to realize if the argument is not at the same intellectual level its just waste of time. I'm done with you as well, you are just not going to acknowledge the point being made.

And to let you know, there is no hate towards Ole at least from me and I guess from most Ole outers. If in your work people criticise you or think if you are not fit for the job, its not hate, there is nothing personal. I hope you don't take it that way in your professional environment, otherwise, you are going to hate your career. I was eager for the season as Ole had pre-season and signings he wanted, but after seeing no plan or coaching I had to change my mind. Its people like you who refuse to see the truth and go on giving excuse after excuse.

jamesjimmybyrondean

feckkk. You have me all figured out

Gasolin

Difference is we play out from the back like a btec LVG side whilst City play passes in the opposition’s half. Watch us tomorrow tell me how many attacks we generate with a direct ball being pumped forward. So when I say long ball that’s exactly what I mean. There’s no gile in front of goal. But keep looking at the stats instead of using your eyes.
So now you are saying I don't use my eyes. Let's use the eyes together to understand what we're talking about, shall we?
Here's a sequence where we are under pressure and we still don't play long.

Right after that, we can break City completely and be in front of their goal. So the transition was well executed, and fast enough to force City to break their shape.

So there is no difference, we build from the back, and this is something we are determined to do. The eyes are confirming it. Now what else? Your eyes don't want to see it?

Status
Not open for further replies.