Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I can guarantee all of the people arguing in this thread that the reason Liverpool fans love Klopp is not their style of football. It’s because they win football matches consistently.

We can argue all we want about styles and which ones we prefer and what we like and dislike.

At the end of the day, Ole’s win percentage as United boss isn’t good enough. He now has a team available that has a lot better quality available than every other team around him.

He needs to consistently pick up points and win football matches and secure CL football.

He was bolstered in January with the best CM in the Portuguese league and a new striker. He has the quality and he has decent numbers in the squad. He has also had over a year in charge and two strong transfer windows.

Enough debating about preferred styles of play. He needs to win football matches, end of.

Gasolin

I can guarantee all of the people arguing in this thread that the reason Liverpool fans love Klopp is not their style of football. It’s because they win football matches consistently.

We can argue all we want about styles and which ones we prefer and what we like and dislike.

At the end of the day, Ole’s win percentage as United boss isn’t good enough. He now has a team available that has a lot better quality available than every other team around him.

He needs to consistently pick up points and win football matches and secure CL football.

He was bolstered in January with the best CM in the Portuguese league and a new striker. He has the quality and he has decent numbers in the squad. He has also had over a year in charge and two strong transfer windows.

Enough debating about preferred styles of play. He needs to win football matches, end of.
Absolutely. All of that talk about Klopp playing expansive possession football? Pure BS. They play the same way we do, basically using full backs to compensate for the lack of creativity of their midfield, and they play very fast direct football, counter attacking often. And when their key players are going to be injured long term like us, they are just going to drop points like flies. Same thing for everyone really, unless you have unlimited money and players ready to wait on the bench or else.

We will win more when we have players who don't disrupt our attacks. That's what Ole sees, and is able to implement. For me, he is doing the right thing, as he is insisting on building from the back and moving the ball fast to break the shape of the opposition. So let's wait for the upgrade on players. It will happen.

90 + 5min

The fact that you are comparing stats from teams with so much gulf in quality shows you are either deluded or just trolling. They just got promoted from Championship last year and their entire squad would not cost as much as our right back signing last season. Its funny you think if two teams play attacking football they should have same stats irrespective of the squad quality. Leeds have 49 goals for and 30 against, so are they better than us? Should the context that they play in Championship matter? Keep on with your rant, that is why @jamesjimmybyrondean deos not want to continue discussing with you, at some point one has to realize if the argument is not at the same intellectual level its just waste of time. I'm done with you as well, you are just not going to acknowledge the point being made.

And to let you know, there is no hate towards Ole at least from me and I guess from most Ole outers. If in your work people criticise you or think if you are not fit for the job, its not hate, there is nothing personal. I hope you don't take it that way in your professional environment, otherwise, you are going to hate your career. I was eager for the season as Ole had pre-season and signings he wanted, but after seeing no plan or coaching I had to change my mind. Its people like you who refuse to see the truth and go on giving excuse after excuse.
I was comparing because you said that Norwich play attacking football and we don't. Implying that Norwich manager is better than ours. I was just showing you that Premier League table doesn't back you up. Regardless of players. Otherwise you could say that every manager and team can claim they play better attacking football than ManCity and Barcelona... and the only problem is gulf in quality of players.

It's ok, you can have your group of anti-Solskjaer intellectuals. I wish you good luck fighting against the truth.

Then to somehow you come up with there is no hate from Ole-outers when you can look at this thread or at any matchthread what kind of language is used towards us who believe that time is needed and should be given and that Solskjaer is doing ok job with what he has.

TheGame

I was comparing because you said that Norwich play attacking football and we don't. Implying that Norwich manager is better than ours. I was just showing you that Premier League table doesn't back you up. Regardless of players. Otherwise you could say that every manager and team can claim they play better attacking football than ManCity and Barcelona... and the only problem is gulf in quality of players.

It's ok, you can have your group of anti-Solskjaer intellectuals. I wish you good luck fighting against the truth.

Then to somehow you come up with there is no hate from Ole-outers when you can look at this thread or at any matchthread what kind of language is used towards us who believe that time is needed and should be given and that Solskjaer is doing ok job with what he has.
Honestly mate, sometime with these people it’s like banging your head against a wall. They sprout rubbish yet you will never get through to them.

matt10000

Manchester United right now are a one dimensional counter attacking team, which relies on individual brilliance/luck in games it's ineffective, which is basically most games that aren't against the top 6. That's exactly what I'd expect us to be under Ole and I expect nothing else because the guy has been managing for a decade and expecting him to transform into Pep/Klopp overnight is bat shit crazy. This is why it's lunacy to pass up opportunities to sign some of the best managers in the game to stick with this guy, but I'm sure we're stupid enough to.
Give the guy a chance with his own squad not an inherited squad

Shark

@NotShark
So he needs a squad completely made up of his own signings until we see an improvement against mid-table/bottom half teams. If so does that seem like a manager that's going to win you titles/European cups and what if we let him build an entire squad only to still play the same brand of football and we're seeing the same results? Even Pep and Klopp haven't been afforded that, they are still using players from previous management and getting the best out of them too. In saying that players such as Fred, Mctominay and Rashford have been doing well under him, but aside from Rashford are we seeing them do well enough to compete for anything past 5th/4th place.

Last edited:

matt10000

So he needs a squad completely made up of his own signings until we see an improvement against mid-table/bottom half teams. If so does that seem like a manager that's going to win you titles/CL's and what if we let him build an entire squad only to still play the same brand of football and we're seeing the same results? Even Pep and Klopp haven't been afforded that, they are still using players from previous management and getting the best out of them too.
Not an entire squad no but currently he is being judged based on a random squad put together by a mix of previous managers over a number of years. The signings under Ole so far are an improvement imo and I think he should be given the opportunity to make 3 or 4 more first team signings before judging properly. I think we jumped the gun on sacking LVG and should have backed Mourinho before his last season but we didn’t and here we are so why not stick with something and see it through

Kurton

The truth that we are on 38 points after 26 i.e. 1.46 points per game. And he needs to win 9 out of the 12 games just to do better than out worst season under Moyes in terms points tally since Premier League began. You know what that means, he needs 2.25 points per game for this to not be our worst season in Premier League. Were you seeing this truth during Moyes's season or just don't want to see it now because your agenda does not allow that? And what's with the Ole hate thing mate, I don't know him, why should I spend my time hating someone I don't even know personally. Time is not given, you have to earn it not matter what the profession. I want what's best for the club and I also want my club to play nice football. That's all it is.

Edit: I'm repeating again I don't know for what time, we are only comparing the quality of football wrt squad quality, not the managers, not the league position, not the financial power of the club etc. Why do you say "regardless of player"? Could you say Athletico Madrid play attacking attractive football? Aren't they high in the table or were last season? Isn't is down to the player quality? It goes both ways, a good squad can do better with a crap manager (not saying Simeone is bad manager) or a good manager with bad squad can only achieve so much. Ole has to play nice football or if he intends to play crap football at least know how to get points. He cannot not have both.

Last edited:

Dr. StrangeHate

De Gea
AWB---Harry----Lindelof----Brandon
Fred-----McTominay
Bruno
James---Martial----Rashford

The only inherited players are probably Lindelof, Fred, and Martial now. De Gea he would have kept. Brandon at left back he has introduced. Mc Tominay and Rashford he definitely rates. When these players are not fit Pereira and Mata come in who he gave contracts to. Lingard I am sure he wants an upgrade on. He was allowed to get rid off whomever he wanted. It is his team pretty much now.

Dr. StrangeHate

Not an entire squad no but currently he is being judged based on a random squad put together by a mix of previous managers over a number of years. The signings under Ole so far are an improvement imo and I think he should be given the opportunity to make 3 or 4 more first team signings before judging properly. I think we jumped the gun on sacking LVG and should have backed Mourinho before his last season but we didn’t and here we are so why not stick with something and see it through
In order to stick with someone they have to earn it. You say all his signings are improvements on previous managers yet his record is the worst out of all of them.

ReddBalls

De Gea
Fred-----McTominay
Bruno

The only inherited players are probably Lindelof, Fred, and Martial now. De Gea he would have kept. Brandon at left back he has introduced. Mc Tominay and Rashford he definitely rates. When these players are not fit Pereira and Mata come in who he gave contracts to. Lingard I am sure he wants an upgrade on. He was allowed to get rid off whomever he wanted. It is his team pretty much now.
How many games this season have United been full strength with that line up? You can change Bruno with Pogba for the last first half of the season.

matt10000

De Gea
Fred-----McTominay
Bruno

It really isn’t. He has to renew contracts if he hasn’t got replacements he can’t just get rid of everyone overnight! This is the real world not FIFA Manager on a play station

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
He has earned it, he was given the job on a permanent basis so back him.
It's such an easy thing to do as well. Just back the guy. Nothing any of us say or do is going to get him the sack anyway. He is disrespecting the club the way that Jose did with his bullsh*t heritage speech and whatever else. The guy bleeds United and is doing good things for the club

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
De Gea
Fred-----McTominay
Bruno

Hes gotten rid of the majority but it's not his team yet, or at least not his squad. It's pretty close to a very good first XI, but we've all seen how far performances drop when certain players arent available. He will get another summer window and sort that out.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He has earned it, he was given the job on a permanent basis so back him.
You don't earn a job to manage one of the top 3 biggest clubs in the world and take charge to rebuild that club for 3 years just based on being unbeaten for 12 games or did he earn it by winning the Norwegian league 7 years ago?

Alabaster Codify7

Every single manager takes over an inherited squad, I'm sick to fecking death of hearing these excuses. Brendan Rodgers, for example, inherited a squad, and within 1-2months had them looking much better than they were previously. They're slipping a bit now, but still far better than when he took over and Brendan didn't need fecking 18 transfer windows to get it right either.

You've also got Ole supporters laughing at Jose for moaning about not having a striker, yet these same posters continuously excuse Ole's cockups as being the result of 'injuries'. You couldn't make it up.

matt10000

You don't earn a job to manage one of the top 3 biggest clubs in the world and take charge to rebuild that club for 3 years just based on being unbeaten for 12 games or did he earn it by winning the Norwegian league 7 years ago?
Well he has though hasn’t he, he was given given the job.

L1nk

Every single manager takes over an inherited squad, I'm sick to fecking death of hearing these excuses. Brendan Rodgers, for example, inherited a squad, and within 1-2months had them looking much better than they were previously. They're slipping a bit now, but still far better than when he took over and Brendan didn't need fecking 18 transfer windows to get it right either.

You've also got Ole supporters laughing at Jose for moaning about not having a striker, yet these same posters continuously excuse Ole's cockups as being the result of 'injuries'. You couldn't make it up.
Yup, they seem to assume that every manager who takes over a team has automatically got an entirely new 11 of their own making straight from the start. EVERY manager that starts at a club has players from, usually, multiple managers, yet it's only an excuse for us as to why we aren't that good.

They also conveniently leave out that when Ole was relegated to the Championship, they backed him to get them back up that summer, with all the players he wanted, to the point it was entirely Ole's team out on the pitch, yet he took them into relegation form and he was sacked.

Dr. StrangeHate

It really isn’t. He has to renew contracts if he hasn’t got replacements he can’t just get rid of everyone overnight! This is the real world not FIFA Manager on a play station
I can only go by what he did. He didn't have an issue getting rid of Lukaku without getting a replacement.

Dr. StrangeHate

Hes gotten rid of the majority but it's not his team yet, or at least not his squad. It's pretty close to a very good first XI, but we've all seen how far performances drop when certain players arent available. He will get another summer window and sort that out.
You can't expect a manager to get a full squad before he can be judged. A first XI of his choosing is the best you can hope for, even that is not realistic but Ole is being provided that.

matt10000

Not all Ole supporters are laughing at Mourinho, I actually think he should have been backed before that final season. I also think that had LVG been given more time and signed a couple of world class creative players, he could have built on the boring possession dominance and added goals and excitement. However we are where we are and should finally at least back instead of sack the appointed manager and see where we can go. Three more good signings and we could be right up there

RUCK4444

Not all Ole supporters are laughing at Mourinho, I actually think he should have been backed before that final season. I also think that had LVG been given more time and signed a couple of world class creative players, he could have built on the boring possession dominance and added goals and excitement. However we are where we are and should finally at least back instead of sack the appointed manager and see where we can go. Three more good signings and we could be right up there
This exactly. The difference as well is that a lot of LVG signings were poor, Ole in my opinion has so far bought very well.

I’m desperate to just see this side finished in the summer (or very close) and just what that may bring, at least before swapping managers again. Worst case we hand a much better squad over to the new manager.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Under Ole we've tried to sign King and Longstaff. And we've signed James and Ighalo. None of them are obvious signings and all have been underwhelming.

It's the obvious signings or targets that have done well this season - Bruno Maguire AWB and Haaland. And It doesn't take a genius to know that we need these players and they would likely do well as I've seen them included in a user's fantasy team on redcafe.

Not to complain much as I've liked Ole's signings so far but I think if he was in a club where he didn't have the luxury of making expensive signings or attracting the best player from Portugal or the best CB Of England, his recruitment would be underwhelming.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Whether he should be doing it publicly or not, Jose is moaning about not having a striker because he knows results and performances are going to suffer as a result.

Jose a top manager knows this but apparently for staunch Ole outers who know better, missing key players is just an 'excuse' that's not acceptable to explain why our results haven't been great.

You mention Rodgers there, 1 win in the last 6 PL games, Ndidi missed all 5 they didn't win. They've also had Vardy injured and lost the league cup semi to Villa. Some of us said Leicester having their best XI fit every game was a reason why they were getting better results than us, all just excuses apparently.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
You can't expect a manager to get a full squad before he can be judged. A first XI of his choosing is the best you can hope for, even that is not realistic but Ole is being provided that.
Agreed. Nobody gets that. Neither does Ole. We are still 8 first team squad out and 5 in and its showed at times this season. I really dont think that giving him another summer is going to do any harm, especially if we get Sancho or Grealish or any of the other targets we are looking at.

I've said many times if he gets that and we still arent producing consistently by Xmas I'll be wanting a change too. Then a new manager will come in and have a great opportunity to succeed, or Ole will prove many of the doubters wrong and we will be competitive. Hardly a crisis is it?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I wonder what the rhetoric would be like on here if we appointed Poch and ended up not winning anything for another 3 years?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Whether he should be doing it publicly or not, Jose is moaning about not having a striker because he knows results and performances are going to suffer as a result.

Jose a top manager knows this but apparently for staunch Ole outers who know better, missing key players is just an 'excuse' that's not acceptable to explain why our results haven't been great.

You mention Rodgers there, 1 win in the last 6 PL games, Ndidi missed all 5 they didn't win. They've also had Vardy injured and lost the league cup semi to Villa. Some of us said Leicester having their best XI fit every game was a reason why they were getting better results than us, all just excuses apparently.
Or City losing Kompany and Laporte. It's almost as if players matter!

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Under Ole we've tried to sign King and Longstaff. And we've signed James and Ighalo. None of them are obvious signings and all have been underwhelming.

It's the obvious signings or targets that have done well this season - Bruno Maguire AWB and Haaland. And It doesn't take a genius to know that we need these players and they would likely do well as I've seen them included in a user's fantasy team on redcafe.

Not to complain much as I've liked Ole's signings so far but I think if he was in a club where he didn't have the luxury of making expensive signings or attracting the best player from Portugal or the best CB Of England, his recruitment would be underwhelming.
Awesome logic there

Womp

idiot
I wonder what the rhetoric would be like on here if we appointed Poch and ended up not winning anything for another 3 years?
As long as his signings don't look worse under him than prior to being signed and over a year into his management, we are seeing actual progress in regards to our football, I'm sure we'd be fine. This isn't about trophies with Ole, people need to understand that. He's a million miles away from having us competing for top honours. This is about literally over a year into his tenure here, our football has not improved at all. We are still heavily reliant on counter attacking, which is by far the easiest football to coach. It's why Mourinho who is known for having a lax approach to coaching prefers it.

Womp

idiot
People are getting way too caught up in results here. It's not just about results. Ole's results are fecking terrible alongside the fact that our football is still shite and hasn't really improved at all. That's a much more telling sign, that he's just not a capable coach, regardless of how good the squad is, there's only so far he can take them. You could see the change in style with Klopp, Pep, Rodgers etc. You don't need top players to play good football. You need top players to turn that football into trophies.

Gasolin

People are getting way too caught up in results here. It's not just about results. Ole's results are fecking terrible alongside the fact that our football is still shite and hasn't really improved at all. That's a much more telling sign, that he's just not a capable coach, regardless of how good the squad is, there's only so far he can take them. You could see the change in style with Klopp, Pep, Rodgers etc. You don't need top players to play good football. You need top players to turn that football into trophies.
Sure, why doesn't Klopp still play with Karius, Lovren, etc...? And can you imagine this current Liverpool team when they get Salah, Mane, Firmino injured? Do you think they can still make it? I don't think so, full stop. Just as Spurs can't make it right now without Kane and Son, Leicester without Ndidi, etc... I think we can leave Ole to work with his squad.

L1nk

Of course it would, the agenda being the manager isn't good enough, so get rid and get another, people aren't clamoring for Ole to get the sack just because he is Ole, it's because he's crap and there are better managers out there. However the people who want Ole in are only clamouring for it because he's Ole, not because he's a fantastic football manager, all evidence has pointed to him not being good enough his entire managerial career so you can't argue otherwise.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Sure, why doesn't Klopp still play with Karius, Lovren, etc...? And can you imagine this current Liverpool team when they get Salah, Mane, Firmino injured? Do you think they can still make it? I don't think so, full stop. Just as Spurs can't make it right now without Kane and Son, Leicester without Ndidi, etc... I think we can leave Ole to work with his squad.
I see that this point from the post you are replying to 'you don't need top players to play good football. You need top players to turn that football into trophies.' has eluded you then.

Status
Not open for further replies.