Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneUnited24

Indeed. If Ole had started Pogba, he would’ve won a penalty sooner, maybe even before the Spurs goal and we would have scored at least one more.
Pogba did well and was unbelievable when he came on but hes basically been out for 9 months. Is he really ready for a full 90 or even 45 minutes? He has to be ushered in otherwise we could see him get a minor injury

meamth

Never said he should be sacked. I said I thought his decision to put Scott at CB when you have 5 subs and Bailly on the bench was asking for trouble.
Not you, it's the caf in general.

Dumb and immature comments like "If we have a better manager,"

It's disappointing to see that from our fans.

mu4c_20le

I don't think anyone here hates him. Quite the contrary, I think most United fans rightly love the guy. He is, and will remain, a United legend. Some people just also think that, even though they love him, he's not a particularly good football manager.
You must be a hell of a mind reader because I don't see it at all

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Dan James is so far from sharp. There were plenty positives but the manager was too slow for the first changes. After 20 mins it was obvious we needed to change tactics or personnel. Glad we didnt lose but feck it was close. Pogba changed the game. Looks sharp. He and Bruno can and will work very well together

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Shouldn't have started James

Should have made subs earlier.

We've been repeating this since the start of the season but Ole never seems to get it.

Shark

@NotShark
Not the worst result for Ole, but not the best either considering Spurs were poor. I still stand by my opinion that we should be finishing top four given our run in, barring an injury crisis. Anthing below that will be a major disappointment and it should leave us wondering if its worth continuing with him.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He needs to make these changes sooner.

We've routinely wasted the key period at the beginning of the second half by keeping it the same.

passing-wind

Ole out agenda is back on..

What the actual feck.
It's been a poor season but we've been fortunate due to the league standard being abysmal. I'd understand the sentiment if we were 3rd and comfortable in the league but as it stands we are just as liable to be out of the UCL next season depending on variables we cannot control.

Draw however isn't the worst result against a decent spurs side.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He just made the poorest decisions. I worry when he does this because I wonder if he understands his players.

Daniel James shouldn't be starting over Greenwood anymore- Greenwood has broken through and has had a break enough to had a slow build up on his first season. No point playing James with Martial when Martial isnt in the box for James's crosses, Martial is better playing with goalscoring forwards like Greenwood and Rashford trying to interlink with them.

Pogba and Bruno should have started with Matic because those 2 are the most creative shielded by the most defensive after a great break for Matic.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Well i'm pretty sure Matic went to CB which was a good move as his passing helped build a platform to attack.
That was a good move. That's the kind of proactive decision i want to see much earlier from him. If he made quick decisions like that regularly, i would be very happy.

Case in point, why wait 15 mins to bring Pogba & Greenwood on when we're chasing the game & nothing is changing?

Zen86

Pogba did well and was unbelievable when he came on but hes basically been out for 9 months. Is he really ready for a full 90 or even 45 minutes? He has to be ushered in otherwise we could see him get a minor injury
That’s not how it works. You take his brief stint towards the end of the game, and extrapolate that across the rest of the time he didn’t play.

Pogba would have got us 3.3 penalties if he had started and we wud hav wun the game

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It wasn't the starting line-up that I would have played but everything was easily understandable so I've got no problem with that. He also probably made the right subs (debatable whether it should have been Martial or Rashford coming off).

He just made those subs way too late. Pogba and Greenwood probably should have come on at halftime, or at least no later than the 55th minute when it was obvious that nothing had changed. Then Matic and Ighalo should have come on about 10 minutes earlier than they did.

OneUnited24

That’s not how it works. You take his brief stint towards the end of the game, and extrapolate that across the rest of the time he didn’t play.

Pogba would have got us 3.3 penalties if he had started and we wud hav wun the game
:D oh how foolish i feel now

Infra-red

You must be a hell of a mind reader because I don't see it at all
Well, he's being assessed now on his managerial performance, so most discussion will tend to focus on that and there have been some rather obvious failings...

As a player, his legacy is secure and it's something we can all happily wax lyrical about until the cows come home.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Start Pogba and never start James again
Pogba hasn't played for months and months, so he was either gonna start and not finish / not start and finish the game, so not surprised about that at all.

Agreed on James though, I'd have played Greenwood.

So yeah okay, he could have done one thing different :D

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
And if he comes off around the hour mark with another ankle injury?
Honestly, he was already making a come back before lockdown.
Start him and take him off when the game would have been won by the 60 min mark

meamth

It's been a poor season but we've been fortunate due to the league standard being abysmal. I'd understand the sentiment if we were 3rd and comfortable in the league but as it stands we are just as liable to be out of the UCL next season depending on variables we cannot control.

Draw however isn't the worst result against a decent spurs side.
Poor standards, yes. Did we have our main players at the start of the season and mid season? I think we were very unfortunate to lose Martial, Rashford, and Pogba during different parts of this season.

Had we have a fully fit squad without injuries from the start of the season and still we're here at 4th, Ole can be sacked.

But under some unfortunate circumstances and luck, and seeing the results of Ole's squad rebuilding is the team today, I'd take that over 4th.

Cassidy

Pogba hasn't played for months and months, so he was either gonna start and not finish / not start and finish the game, so not surprised about that at all.

Agreed on James though, I'd have played Greenwood.

So yeah okay, he could have done one thing different :D
Most of the players had not played for months.

Start your best player

sport2793

Poor standards, yes. Did we have our main players at the start of the season and mid season? I think we were very unfortunate to lose Martial, Rashford, and Pogba during different parts of this season.

Had we have a fully fit squad without injuries from the start of the season and still we're here at 4th, Ole can be sacked.

But under some unfortunate circumstances and luck, and seeing the results of Ole's squad rebuilding is the team today, I'd take that over 4th.
This, too many fans miss the mark completely on evaluating this season. Everyone forgets the long-term injuries to our best players.

OneUnited24

That was a good move. That's the kind of proactive decision i want to see much earlier from him. If he made quick decisions like that regularly, i would be very happy.

Case in point, why wait 15 mins to bring Pogba & Greenwood on when we're chasing the game & nothing is changing?
TBF we looked a lot better after the restart. Sometimes managers have to trust the team they put out and give them a chance post HT to prove him wrong.

I think Ole realises that his players need minutes on the board and its a fine line between pulling someone off because they've been bad, or because they're rusty.

OneUnited24

Start your best player
It is completely different being injured and not playing, and not playing because of COVID. Theres a level of fitness you lose the longer you are out.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It is completely different being injured and not playing, and not playing because of COVID. Theres a level of fitness you lose the longer you are out.
Yep. I've seen other managers point out that players coming back from long term injuries will need to be managed more carefully than the others. And we were already starting one such player in Rashford. Not starting Pogba was a perfectly rational decision.

He'sRaldo

He just made the poorest decisions. I worry when he does this because I wonder if he understands his players.

Daniel James shouldn't be starting over Greenwood anymore- Greenwood has broken through and has had a break enough to had a slow build up on his first season. No point playing James with Martial when Martial isnt in the box for James's crosses, Martial is better playing with goalscoring forwards like Greenwood and Rashford trying to interlink with them.

Pogba and Bruno should have started with Matic because those 2 are the most creative shielded by the most defensive after a great break for Matic.
Yup that's our best front 6 right now. Surely this game would have solidified it beyond doubt in Ole's mind.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He's a trial and error manager. He's going to start Greenwood in the next game. I remembered him playing 3 defenders and it worked brilliant. Went ahead to play it in the next game and it flopped then switched back to 4-2-3-1

rotherham_red

Absolutely shameless agenda from some of you.

First game back, rusty forwards, and even then we created the much more and better quality chances. We also seemed to be fine against the Jose low block, which bodes well for the rest of the season...

But it won't stop the knuckle draggers amongst us to blame the manager, though, will it?

rotherham_red

Start your best player
If Pogba started like he did against Arsenal and Rochdale and got injured, the likes of you would no doubt have been blaming the manager for starting him.

OldTrevil

Overall result not bad for a draw away to Spurs, and the peformance continues to improve as we dominated the game. We should now be able to take teams to the sword early and defend from a comfortable position late if needed.

SAFMUTD

I understand we are rusty because of the 3 month stop, but why does he always takes that long to make the obvious changes?

Everyone with two eyes could see he needed Pogba and Greenwood on why wait until dd freaking 60th minute? He just wasted 15 minutes of the second half, why? I just dont know.

passing-wind

If Pogba started like he did against Arsenal and Rochdale and got injured, the likes of you would no doubt have been blaming the manager for starting him.
This I agree with, I was perplexed not to see Pogba starting but considering the extent of his injury starting a game where we are unable to identify the tempo from the offset is a risk. Not to mention Spurs can get a little dirty when tempers flair up.

Cassidy

Yes let pretend that he wasnt fully recovered from his injury months ago

AshRK

We totally outplayed spurs and people still moaning. We should have won and drew not because of ole but because of a defensive mistake. I don't know about others but since we have signed bruno we look a much better side.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Really? He looked head and shoulders above every one else on the pitch when he came on. Should have started or at the very least come on at half time.
Maybe he could have come on at half time and I acknowledged that he could have made a sub earlier, but yeah due to his injuries and very long lay off I think he was right. The fact he was on the bench, I would take from that he couldn't last a full 90, therefore Ole would rather have him at his disposal for the last half an hour or so.

rotherham_red

Yes, but that is being pretty defensive going for that.
I want us to push for 4th and to do that we needed 3 points today.
Still can do it, but can't afford too many more dropped points.

Hopefully our style suits the cup more. Although I do not trust us on pens anyway.
We didn't 'need' 3 points for 4th. Chelsea have Liverpool and City still to play, and I don't see them getting more than 2 points from both games. So that supposed 5 point lead will be cut to 1 pretty soon. And then, they have Sheff Utd and Wolves on the final day. I can see a maximum of 4 points there also.

Come the final day, we'll know exactly what will be needed against Leicester, and I'd back us to get it with a fully fit and firing Pogba and Bruno.

Status
Not open for further replies.