Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gomes

Is there any other manager who 99% of the time just sits in the stands?

Champagne Football

I can't fault Ole today. Southampton are one of the form teams in the league and we looked exhausted. We don't have great strength in depth so there's not a lot Ole could do.

Signing Jadon Sancho and Tyrone Mings in the summer would strengthen us no doubt. People say Mings is crap but it's his first full season in the PL and he will improve a lot. He'd be an upgrade on Lindelof and could be bought cheap if Villa get relegated.

Then send Garner and Levitt out on loan and hope that one of them can replace Matic from 2022.

PoTMS

Guess we'll see how much of our recent upturn in form was down to Fernandes and/or Pogba rather than actual coaching from Ole.

AshRK

The whole team needs to take the blame for today but jeez how come this thread always gets bumped up the moment we drop points. The defenders had one fecking job and that was to defend and they couldn't even do that.

OleBoiii

He's not solely to blame but he is equally as culpable as the players.
I disagree. The points we dropped today can primarily be blamed on:

- Pogba's mistake.
- Poor finishing(we had more big chances than them).
- Having to finish the game with 10 men.
- Romeu not getting sent off in the first half.

I reckon if any of the 4 points above doesn't happen, we win this game easily. Too bad for us all of them did.

TheReligion

Abusive
Disappointed with Ole tonight. Don't think he should have took Pogba off so early and if anything should have just added someone like Fred/Mctominay to help with the leg work. Pogba is capable of moments of brilliance and should have been left on for another 15.

Really annoying and think this cost us.

El Zoido

Despite our recent good form, the subs have done virtually nothing in any of the games. We need to be able to change players out and still be a goal scoring threat since we can’t play the same eleven for 90 minutes of every game. So I feel for Ole in that regard, but he needs to find a way to get more from the subs.

Rajma

He’s a good guy but not a manager of the required caliber, most of you will come to realization. It’s simply a matter of time.

3KDré

I don’t buy that we should never try to defend a 2-1 lead. Our midfielders were clearly knackered and needed taking off, Fred and McTominay are always better at defending than attacking.

We should have rotated a bit more in the last few games. That was our error. Today AWB, Pogba, and Bruno were all poor. It’s not coincidence that they have played the most since lockdown as well (aside from the obvious Maguire, Lindelof De Gea and Shaw).

Woodenlung

I think some questions have to be asked about the poor start. We went down to an early goal against Bournemouth too. Second game in a row where we've started very slowly and invited pressure onto ourselves. Hasenhuttl had Solksjaer's number in that opening period.

Southampton should've had a man sent off and were it not for poor finishing we would have scored 3 or 4. Can't blame Solksjaer on that front.

mu4c_20le

Disappointed with Ole tonight. Don't think he should have took Pogba off so early and if anything should have just added someone like Fred/Mctominay to help with the leg work. Pogba is capable of moments of brilliance and should have been left on for another 15.

Really annoying and think this cost us.
I thought Pogba looked leggy and Fred did nothing wrong when he came on. Brought his energy and pressing. Southampton were always going to go for it, imo this is hindsight (not just you but many others as well).

United58

Williams was injured. Is there some rule that you cannot sub off a substitute?
I'm guessing the ruling is you can make 5 subs, but only in 3 iterations - to stop José etc. time wasting with 5 separate subs

dirkey

He’s a good guy but not a manager of the required caliber, most of you will come to realization. It’s simply a matter of time.
Ah look. Last post in this thread? When we drew with Everton. This kind of rubbish the reason this thread gets bumped so much more after "bad" results.

NinjaFletch

Looking at his face, question marks over his head....i don't think he did.

I'm not questioning the left back dilemma and the injury, nothing he could do about that.

But why not use the 5 subs?

Not like we were cruising 5-0. And certainly not like there weren't five or six knackered players on the field who could use a sub.
I suspect he may have wanted some clarification with whether a sub was allowed given that it was a head injury. If the rules were sensible it obviously would have been, but of course he knew about the windows ffs. You're seriously suggesting it was an accident that he's abided by that rule every single game?

passing-wind

Ole has some responsibility but not all the blame, the defence and ability to concentrate was horrendous. I cannot understand why every single time we are presented an opportunity to get in a qualifying spot we fall short. I think the mentality of the player and the manager needs to be questioned because Ole having won much as a Ayer should be giving the players the necessary tools to succeed in crunch moments. The drop off in quality of our substitutions is also worrying, it's not a suprise when you consider the state of our season overall. We need reinforcements in summer not just Sancho but also preferably a midfielder.

Idxomer

He has done a lot of things right lately on the management side outside the pitch but still, he leaves a lot to be desired regarding I want to say tactics but it's more the application side of it, there's just something forceful in the way we play. Just look at how we started the last three games, the players seem to need way too much time to get into the game.

paulscholes18

He hasn’t got the bench to do the job probably, to me Fred, McTominay & James aren’t top 4 players. In games when you play counter attacking football they alright but when you want to dominate they’re not good enough.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I wonder why Ole is adamant on using the 4231 over 433 - it sometimes feels like Rashford and Greenwood are in creative positions for Martial when it should be Martial who is in a creative position for Rashford and Greenwood.

BlahRules

Is there any other manager who 99% of the time just sits in the stands?
This, Ole should have been at the technical stand when we were 10 men, making sure the players concentrate but instead he just sits in te stand.

Giggsyking

It is obvious he is a bottler and cracks whenever we are near the top 4. 2 years in a raw he does the same. I will not discuss much of his game plan. But if he fails to qualify to the champions league he should resign.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Disappointing to see us dominated at home with our best 11. We couldn't get near them when pressing, and couldn't cope with their press at all.

I was hoping that - with finally having some good attackers and playmakers - we'd start inflicting our game on others regardless of them being a heavy press side but we looked like the underdogs tonight. I want to see us pin teams back like other top teams regardless of the intensity of the oppositions press, but we're always the one being pinned back when facing a team of that style.

Matriac

This, Ole should have been at the technical stand when we were 10 men, making sure the players concentrate but instead he just sits in te stand.

This is such BS. You even had footage of him down by the line directing Matic what to do when Brandon had to come off.
Camera is not always on him, you can't know he's always just sitting there.

Besides at some point you gotta trust that the players are focused and up for it. Someone yelling and distracting you from the sidelines when it's squeaky bum time is rarely advisable.

It's like cramming for an exam, if you haven't put in the work in advance over time it doesn't matter if you try to learn it all right at the end.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Don't think it was completely his fault.
Fred on for Pogba changed the game for us... in a bad way. After that we had nobody capable of controlling the midfield and just hoofed it all the time.
Also Bruno was playing up front. Not sure if that was the instruction or what... he just kept running, he's more dangerous when he's involved in the build up, once Pogba was off. But I saw him still being the furthest man on the pitch and then he was taken off.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I disagree. The points we dropped today can primarily be blamed on:

- Pogba's mistake.
- Poor finishing(we had more big chances than them).
- Having to finish the game with 10 men.
- Romeu not getting sent off in the first half.

I reckon if any of the 4 points above doesn't happen, we win this game easily. Too bad for us all of them did.
Taking 20 minutes to get going is a common theme since the restart, and we look 2nd best until or just before the drinks break in nearly every game. We've been punished for it by conceding early goals vs Spurs, Bournemouth and now Southampton. It's cost us points against Spurs and again today. This falls on both him and the players. He needs to be setting the team up raring to go.

Even with our best players out there, we were dominated for long periods. They bested us tactically.

M16Red

I can't fault Ole today. Southampton are one of the form teams in the league and we looked exhausted. We don't have great strength in depth so there's not a lot Ole could do.

Signing Jadon Sancho and Tyrone Mings in the summer would strengthen us no doubt. People say Mings is crap but it's his first full season in the PL and he will improve a lot. He'd be an upgrade on Lindelof and could be bought cheap if Villa get relegated.

Then send Garner and Levitt out on loan and hope that one of them can replace Matic from 2022.
Mings... I hope that your joking.

el3mel

He has been great in managing the team recently but he fecked up the subs and game management today. Went against everything he has done last few games and decided to defend deep and go counters in the last minutes by subbing off our 2 playmakers and putting Scott and Fred as double pivot with no attacking midfielder.

This was a stupid tactical decision from him, and against everything we have shown and done in recent games.

Hopefully he'll never take this defensive route again. We're better at scoring more goals than the opposition, rather than defending a 1 goal lead.

Mainoldo

As soon as I seen Phelan giving out instructions I knew it was points dropped. We was doing well with him far back. :lol:

Seriously though we lost the midfield battle and the subs didn’t help us win it back and I blame that to quality of the subs. Rightly or wrongly but we are a quality driven team.

Showed naivety tonight. I think he thought we were too good to have to plan around Southamptons pressing and it backfired.

Mainoldo

He has been great in managing the team recently but he fecked up the subs and game management today. Went against everything he has done last few games and decided to defend deep and go counters in the last minutes by subbing off our 2 playmakers and putting Scott and Fred as double pivot with no attacking midfielder.

This was a stupid tactical decision from him, and against everything we have shown and done in recent games.

Hopefully he'll never take this defensive route again. We're better at scoring more goals than the opposition, rather than defending a 1 goal lead.
In all honestly I’m actually starting to think it’s not his fault. I truly believe his back room staff give him the worst instructions to hand and he needs to stop confining in them during the game. They are not the manager. You are.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
I wonder why Ole is adamant on using the 4231 over 433 - it sometimes feels like Rashford and Greenwood are in creative positions for Martial when it should be Martial who is in a creative position for Rashford and Greenwood.
Our midfield may not be suitable I think. Pushing both Pogba and Bruno up so high leaves too much defensive work for Matic at this stage of his career. Or Shaw may have to be instructed to play more defensively which isn't ideal either.

OldTrevil

Playing Matic in a midfield two against a high pressing, high energy team is never going to win you a midfield battle. Pogba was literally left to play alone in the middle surrounded by 3 players. On the flip side we got a point, still unbeaten and in with a shout for top 3. I just hope Ole doesnt make the same mistake against Chelsea.

shahzy

You can only sub three times.
I truly believe the PL need to look at adding a +1 substitute in the case of a head injury/concussion. PL clubs have massive money on the line so they are going to err on the side of "Stay on the pitch lad" which can put a player further at harm. In that situation medical advice should over rule everything. By not allowing a team to make an extra sub for a concussion/head injury, teams wont want to let their players leave the pitch even though its the right thing to do. If a sub was allowed then clubs would be more concerned with the players health because they know they wont lose a sub or be down to 10 men.

Obviously that didn't happen in our game just then, but it would have been nice to have 11 on the pitch + i think this should be a rule going forward in general

Champagne Football

Mings... I hope that your joking.
Southgate obviously rates him much higher than Smalling and Jones. It wasn't long ago on here where you'd be slaughtered for mentioning Harry Maguire but that all changed after Russia 2018 where he was outstanding. There's not gonna be a penny to spend after we hopefully buy Sancho, apart from a little left over to buy a bargain basement defender perhaps. So Mings might be on that list. He's obviously not Maldini but he could be a significant upgrade on Lindelof in the same way Maguire is nothing incredible but is a significant upgrade on Smalling.
Then there's Tuanzebe if he can stay injury free. But I'm not sure the club will risk that with the result being if he remains injured that we have another season of Lindelof in the first XI.

M16Red

Southgate obviously rates him much higher than Smalling and Jones. It wasn't long ago on here where you'd be slaughtered for mentioning Harry Maguire but that all changed after Russia 2018 where he was outstanding. There's not gonna be a penny to spend after we hopefully buy Sancho, apart from a little left over to buy a bargain basement defender perhaps. So Mings might be on that list. He's obviously not Maldini but he could be a significant upgrade on Lindelof in the same way Maguire is nothing incredible but is a significant upgrade on Smalling.
Then there's Tuanzebe if he can stay injury free. But I'm not sure the club will risk that with the result being if he remains injured that we have another season of Lindelof in the first XI.
He is also 27 and a Bournemouth reject.

Status
Not open for further replies.