Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Think he needs to have a word with the squad to get us starting games quicker. That said, it's impossible to get off on a blitzing start every game when you're playing every 3 days. So maybe we should give Ole (and the squad) a break here.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Shitty performance, I thought we were playing Barcelona.
Didn’t know Ole was on the pitch?

Anyway, he’s improved our attack a lot. So refreshing to see an free flowing attacking football again. Couldn’t stand with Mourinhos slow football.

19 games unbeaten and still counting. Sums it up pretty well which direction we’re going.

Last edited:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He needs to improve our ball retention in midfield to control games but I'm not sure what the answer is with Pogba and Bruno taking 2 slots. Early days for them but the combination of Bruno trying to force everything and Pogba dwelling on the ball at times isn't quite clicking yet. I think you need a player to dictate the tempo with them.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
He needs to improve our ball retention in midfield to control games but I'm not sure what the answer is with Pogba and Bruno taking 2 slots. Early days for them but the combination of Bruno trying to force everything and Pogba dwelling on the ball at times isn't quite clicking yet. I think you need a player to dictate the tempo with them.
Both looked in order when Nemanja came on...

Mainoldo

He needs to push Pogba forward. Glad he put Lingard over James today... I give him credit for being ruthless with these players.

crossy1686

career ending
Great win tonight, really big result. Some of you need to cast your minds back to how unbearable our run in's were under Fergie. He didn't call it squeaky bum time because things were easy!

The win is all that matters.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yeah it’s the Matic position that needs a mobile version of Matic. Bruno plays very tight to the forwards, so when Pogba is always marked constantly the other player has to be able to pass progressively on confidently. There’s a reason we were scoring for fun when Matic was fantastic a few games ago.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I was getting at Ole on Monday night for the nature of his subs. However, tonight he got all the big calls right. Starting Timbo, giving Matic a rest so he could be introduced to help us calm things down late on. Most importantly getting the players' heads right. We needed to win today and the pressure was on after Leicester beat Sheffield United. However, we never looked that rattled and we came back from every water break and half time better. The man's doing his job well, long may it continue.

OldTrevil

He should have played Fred instead of McT. We have a team primed to playing on the front foot but we give a lot of ground in midfield for some reason. Also, bring back Bruno a few yards back and have him play as an additional CM as much as possible. Martial should then have license to drop deep as needed. Overall I like Ole though, and can't wait to see how we improve as a team.

Kag

Great win tonight, really big result. Some of you need to cast your minds back to how unbearable our run in's were under Fergie. He didn't call it squeaky bum time because things were easy!

The win is all that matters.
Indeed. One of the most disappointing aspects of our post-Ferguson demise is that many supporters seem to have forgotten just how brilliantly horrible it was to win nerve-wracking games like the one we won tonight. We didn’t win games easily under Ferguson. It was often torture, but torture the team would get through more often than not.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He should have played Fred instead of McT. We have a team primed to playing on the front foot but we give a lot of ground in midfield for some reason. Also, bring back Bruno a few yards back and have him play as an additional CM as much as possible. Martial should then have license to drop deep as needed. Overall I like Ole though, and can't wait to see how we improve as a team.
I think he played McT due to height from Crystal Palace players in set pieces. Dann, Sakho, Ward & Milojevic.

OldTrevil

I think he played McT due to height from Crystal Palace players in set pieces. Dann, Sakho, Ward & Milojevic.
I see, but it would still not be enough to compensate for what we lose on the ball for me. I like McT's hustle game but he should be a rare tactical weapon for now until he improves his all round game.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I see, but it would still not be enough to compensate for what we lose on the ball for me. I like McT's hustle game but he should be a rare tactical weapon for now until he improves his all round game.
Matic also conceded couple of cheap free kicks today so it wasn't just McT. Today's problem down to Bruno & Pogba didn't look sharp with their passing and movement, while both our full back are too passive and play safe. If Bruno & Pogba passing today were on, we wouldn't lose the ball to begin with.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
I'm a little concerned with how badly we've been the last two games. Sure we have tired players but the opposition also seem to be getting better at nullifying us. Today it was packing the midfield pressing high allowing our CB's and Mctominay to have the ball who subsequently couldn't do shit. Our creative players then drop deep, leaving us light in the #10 area and Martial is isolated. It didn't help that our fullbacks aren't particularly great at attacking and overlapping.

Just happy to get over the line though.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Had to rotate and he got the subs spot on today. Worrying that our performances have dipped, but we won and that's the main thing

gajender

I'm a little concerned with how badly we've been the last two games. Sure we have tired players but the opposition also seem to be getting better at nullifying us. Today it was packing the midfield pressing high allowing our CB's and Mctominay to have the ball who subsequently couldn't do shit. Our creative players then drop deep, leaving us light in the #10 area and Martial is isolated. It didn't help that our fullbacks aren't particularly great at attacking and overlapping.

Just happy to get over the line though.
I think it's the combination of fatigue and changes forced due to injuries and rotation. It's nothing like earlier in the season despite playing poorly we are still creating enough quality chances to win games.
Despite what some posters like to believe Shaw has been integral part of our revival Wan-Bissaka might have greater number of assists but Shaw is simply better in possession and also better attacking outlet.

Web of Bissaka

We cannot dominate or at least take control against a team on 5 games losing streaks.

Embarrassing.

Excuses card
  • fatigue
  • injuries
  • anything else?
Crystal Palace are not experiencing fatigue nor injuries, only us

Tarrou

We cannot dominate or at least take control against a team on 5 games losing streaks.

Embarrassing.

Excuses card
  • fatigue
  • injuries
  • anything else?
as if there needs to be an excuse after a crucial win, on the back of a 19 game unbeaten run

embarrassing indeed

edcunited1878

So many people think United are supposed to win each match with ease and at a canter, without having to stress or sweat...you know that's not how it actually works in the real world and it might be that way in FIFA/FM.

fecking hell, people just love to have a fecking moan. United are competing against grown fecking adults and professionals who have just as big of an ego and sense of pride as they do. Sure, their talent level might not be equal to United's, but they are fecking game raisers, the lot of them whoever play Manchester United Football Club.

United players should be fecking tired. It means their putting in the effort and energy we've all wanted them to put out. If they're fresh after playing 90 minutes, then what the feck are they strolling around for? Run your socks off, express your talents, and get the fecking ball back. Run for your teammates.

This isn't some fantasy island shit. This is the shit we've talked about, the players having to earn their stripes and work hard and win matches. Nobody gives a feck if you have 80% possession, 50 shots on target, have 1000 successful passes, but if you lose 1-0, what's the point?

This isn't even close to the finished article for Ole's squad. Piss off you damn moaners. Have some respect and support for Ole's team.

Giggsyking

Didn’t know Ole was on the pitch?

Anyway, he’s improved our attack a lot. So refreshing to see an free flowing attacking football again. Couldn’t stand with Mourinhos slow football.

19 games unbeaten and still counting. Sums it up pretty well which direction we’re going.
Me neither, Ole is million times better than the toxic one. But is he good enough?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
So many people think United are supposed to win each match with ease and at a canter, without having to stress or sweat...you know that's not how it actually works in the real world and it might be that way in FIFA/FM.

fecking hell, people just love to have a fecking moan. United are competing against grown fecking adults and professionals who have just as big of an ego and sense of pride as they do. Sure, their talent level might not be equal to United's, but they are fecking game raisers, the lot of them whoever play Manchester United Football Club.

United players should be fecking tired. It means their putting in the effort and energy we've all wanted them to put out. If they're fresh after playing 90 minutes, then what the feck are they strolling around for? Run your socks off, express your talents, and get the fecking ball back. Run for your teammates.

This isn't some fantasy island shit. This is the shit we've talked about, the players having to earn their stripes and work hard and win matches. Nobody gives a feck if you have 80% possession, 50 shots on target, have 1000 successful passes, but if you lose 1-0, what's the point?

This isn't even close to the finished article for Ole's squad. Piss off you damn moaners. Have some respect and support for Ole's team.
Well said.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Embarrassing.

Excuses card
  • fatigue
  • injuries
  • anything else?
Maybe that's because you expected us to completely dominate them, not giving away any chances and create goals for fun?

ManUtd, Chelsea and Leicester all played vs Palace in last 5-6 games, ManUtd and Chelsea played away games, Leicester played home game.

StatsManUtdChelseaLeicester
Possession59%58%52%
Total shots 171415
Shots on target564
Total shots conceded13137
Shots on target conceded541
xG2.542.282.85
xGA0.681.620.76

If you check shots from zones (6 yard box, penalty area) we have done well compared to Chelsea and Leicester.

It's just that we are so nervous watching the game, anything but convincing win we take it as not good enough. They did well and had their moments too but that's true for any team.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Embarrassing.

Excuses card
  • fatigue
  • injuries
  • anything else?
The bolded part rightly summarizes that post of yours.

romufc

It doesn't matter how we played, the win is all that counts.

This is something new for all the players, the pressure is different when you are fighting for something.

Palace are safe, most teams annoyingly raise their games when Manutd is in town. People need to understand that nerves plays a big part in this, how often do managers say at this time of the season it is all about results.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I will take 2 more poor performances against WH n Leicester if it means we get 6pts. Results matter more right now.

Definitely think we should rest 5 or 6 at Wembley. They looked physically n mentally drained last night and 2nd half vs Saints.

RORY65

We've started the last 4 games slowly and simply just played poorly in the last 2 which is a worrying sign and the players do look tired. If we win the last 2 league games (it's a shame that the FA Cup now feels like a footnote but sadly that is the case) then who cares but there has to now be more doubt that we will win those 2 whereas a couple of weeks ago it looked like we were flying.

Not that I think the dip in performances is on Solksjaer at all really, we know that there's a huge drop off after the first 11 and given we've been chasing he's had no room to change things up, if he drags us through the last 2 games he'll have done a good job this year.

Sylar

It was better but it was the same on Monday night.
Games shouldnt be as condensed next season which should help Matic and rotation. I think when youre winning as we are, even with performance dropping off, its hard to change the team. We need more squad depth. We need another midfielder (somebody like Matic). That would help ball retention a lot, and as you said, can help dictate tempo from a deeper spot.

Matic needed a break and it worked out in the end.
2 wins and were good.
Who knows, it might just need to be 1 win and 1 draw (but we will know next week)

Keefy18

Embarrassing.

Excuses card
  • fatigue
  • injuries
  • anything else?
Sounds like your probably not old enough to know the meaning of "squeaky bum time".

With so little time left to play on the clock, what matters most is the result now. It's not about champagne football every single game.

Just to point out, that in 4 of our last 5 away games to Palace (Including the FA Cup Final here at Wembley) we needed late winners to get a result.

Keefy18

Just leaving this here as a comparison.

Ole vs some of the leagues top managers. Included Jose's first Chelsea stint and Fergie's opening 57 Premier league games as well.

Ole really ain't doing too badly at all.

Strelok

Just leaving this here as a comparison.

Ole vs some of the leagues top managers. Included Jose's first Chelsea stint and Fergie's opening 57 Premier league games as well.

Ole really ain't doing too badly at all.

Interesting.

Taking into account the squad and the dressing room morale he inherited, the injures of last and this season then he's done quite a job imo.

rotherham_red

Ole's biggest achievement for me has been how he has essentially condensed two seasons' worth of transition into one, all the while having to bed in a lot of young players in the process

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Compare those squads to Jose's Chelsea, Peps City and it's more than good IMO.

I'm excited to see where the squad is by next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.