Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
There were rightly called out players against Leipzig as being passive & wimpy. We saw a passive & wimpy manager without a plan to affect the end of games save for increased player quality. No proactivity at all. No fecking subs at all.

Was it really that hard of a call to even sub like for like for freshness? What would the downside of that be?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
There were rightly called out players against Leipzig as being passive & wimpy. We saw a passive & wimpy manager without a plan to affect the end of games save for increased player quality. No proactivity at all. No fecking subs at all.

Was it really that hard of a call to even sub like for like for freshness? What would the downside of that be?
Not that I enjoyed it, but it could be argued that taking anyone else off might create a problem where there wasn't one before, which sorts well with draw tactics.

Zoo

I think this week has shown how much we’ve missed a 100% Cavani and Martial because Rashford and Greenwood aren’t up to standard yet as CF’s who can play with their back to goal.

As badly as Ole got it wrong in midweek I can’t really criticise him for the tactics tonight.

Matriac

Disappointed he didn’t make some positive subs, you have a bench of world class attackers fecking use them.

Also Rashford was so so poor, take him off.

Who on the bench would you put on?
Mata or VdB?

We had nothing that could change the game other than Martial, and swapping him for Greenwood was the right choice. Mason did OK, but nothing special, played by himself mostly as well.
Rashford didn't have an amazing game, but had some moments.

We needed Fred and Scott on to keep their mid muted. De Bruyne was the only one that managed to attempt anything, and he was usually stopped by Maguire if he got past them.

Pogba was our best offensive player.

The only thing I could have considered would maybe be VDB for Bruno as Bruno had a poor game, but he still has the ability to produce a flashmoment so I didn't particulary mind that he was left on.

Shaw didn't do anything offensively, but I valued his defensive capabilities over what Telles could have done offensively as none of our forwards were particularly switched on.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Not that I enjoyed it, but it could be argued that taking anyone else off might create a problem where there wasn't one before, which sorts well with draw tactics.
I understand the reasons for maintaining status quo, but to not try to affect any positive change on a match late on when even just fresh legs could have helped is disappointing. Didn’t see what downside DvB for Rashford, Bruno, or Pogba there was, even for a minimum of twelve minutes.

Himannv

I thought Bruno looked a bit tired at the end there and I think bringing on VBD in place of him made sense.

Regarding his quote, I thought the defense and midfield performed well, we just didn't create enough chances and our attacking play was a bit hopeful more than anything else.

Gasolin

I thought Bruno looked a bit tired at the end there and I think bringing on VBD in place of him made sense.

Regarding his quote, I thought the defense and midfield performed well, we just didn't create enough chances and our attacking play was a bit hopeful more than anything else.
I think the main issue for us is that VdB plays as a 10 but doesn't play the same way as Bruno, and therefore, it requires more change than just a sub. Probably need to rethink the positioning against the others. Don't know. Anyway, the past is the past, we need to win games in Dec.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
If anyone remembers Mourinhos football heritage presser, they'll realise that he was trying to create a process where he leaves players in a better off position, technically and mentally, than he inherited from previous managers.

He failed in this regard. But so far, do you guys feel Solskjaer is grouping together players with better mentality and desire than he inherited?

I say this after seeing a stat that went something like we're the club with the most points attained from losing positions.

The United

If anyone remembers Mourinhos football heritage presser, they'll realise that he was trying to create a process where he leaves players in a better off position, technically and mentally, than he inherited from previous managers.

He failed in this regard. But so far, do you guys feel Solskjaer is grouping together players with better mentality and desire than he inherited?

I say this after seeing a stat that went something like we're the club with the most points attained from losing positions.
I think so. Numerous come-backs would show that the players are playing for him which is very important for a manager.

I think Ole is smart enough to evolve better. Whether he will have time and support for it is a different issue.

kiristao

I don't think a manager has managed to give such a slap on the face on so many fans collectively (me included) for questioning the selection of Mctominay and (more so) James today.
Before someone jumps at me, I am not saying they should be regular starters but today it absolutely paid off.

NinjaFletch

Excellent day for him today.

Was clear how he was going to beat Leeds with his selections and it paid off perfectly.

RUCK4444

Ole got his team selection and tactics absolutely bang on today. Against a team that has caused problems for a lot of teams.

Superunknown

Deserves credit for when things go right. I liked how he set out to attack Leeds today and that was clear from the start. At times, it reminded me of that famous 7-1 win against Roma, where it was clear and obvious from the start what we were aiming to do, which was to outscore the opposition today.

Some might complain about the goals conceded, but for me today was just all about scoring goals. Good on the team for not getting to 3 goals and then stopping. We definitely had the potential to score more, but to score as many goals as we did today will do our confidence tons of good. It was one of those games where you wished that there were another 90 minutes.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I like him for making unpopular decisions. And I like him for making some armchair football experts on here look stupid. He did the right team selection. The scoreline is not flattering us as we missed some great chances too.

Hopefully it gives him some confidence to build on. We might not win the title with Wan Bissaka and James, but we're heading the right direction.

RORY65

Made a couple of changes for today that worked out excellently and that was just a really fun, exciting game and performance.

edcunited1878

He's obviously learned from his time with Cardiff in that he knows how well his players can play against certain teams and how they can't play, so cannot impose a specific way of playing without the right players or just the same players/style.

He's right to rotate and try to put his players in a position to win. He matched runners with runners today but his players have better individual quality and United won the majority of their 1 v 1 battles, especially Bruno, McTominay, Fred.

U99ted

5 points off top with a game in hand, 2nd top scorers as well. While also improving the squad and freezing out the likes of Rojo, Jones & Lingard, plus selling Alexis, Lukaku & Fellaini. The recent results have shown that the poor start really was down to a lack of preseason. Ole has had a tough time from fans and media, but that is because of the club's stature. The easy ride others have had by comparison hasn't done them any good. Ole is doing a fantastic job.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He has broken so many records (good records) as our manager. Best manager we have had post SAF. Moyes was a shambles, LVG was boring and more fixated on possession than winning, Mourinho was more bothered about results at any cost than performances or creating a team for the future. Ole has us scoring more than them all, gave the squad a strong mentality and has made signings that will benefit the club in the future regardless of him being here in a few years.

VivaRonaldo85

Are we the side to disrupt Liverpool. Gotta say since the mess of Spurs and Arsenal who caught us at the perfect time at OT, we look hard to beat. Not a brilliant side but just a damn hard team to beat. Can’t believe the turnaround in 6 weeks! I’m no Ole fan boy but still...

The United

It is clear why he wants to play counter attacking football. With a bit of pace and decent finishing, we will murder any team.

This team is not suited for any other style. Tbh, I doubt a United team that would catch people's eyes would play any other style.

United under SAF played that way of playing for decades and we were a bit successful.

AshRK

I don't know how anyone with right footballing mind ever say he is a defensive coach, in fact he cannot coach defensive shape and has done extremely well attacking wise.

I will keep on saying, tactically he may be a bit weak or what but I enjoy our football under him more than I did with Jose or LVG.

Sylar

This thread has been quiet and seems to be quiet after wins

Should be the same for when we lose or win (or draw). Maybe

Anyway if he can fix us defending set pieces, who knows what might happen

Good starting line up, tactics spot on, and managed to take off some important players (added with rotation and another win)

Ludens the Red

Just heard his full post match interview and he literally knew and prepared for everything leeds were going to do. Talking about needing to match their running stats (which we did) being quick to move on the ball to beat the press

I can’t make sense of how he goes from being bang on the money on a day like today but then has an absolute clusterfeck like against RBL.

I guess it’s little wonder we blow so hot and cold when our manager himself seems to be so clued up one day and completely clueless on another.

TrustInOle

Just heard his full post match interview and he literally knew and prepared for everything leeds were going to do. Talking about needing to match their running stats (which we did) being quick to move on the ball to beat the press

I can’t make sense of how he goes from being bang on the money on a day like today but then has an absolute clusterfeck like against RBL.

I guess it’s little wonder we blow so hot and cold when our manager himself seems to be so clued up one day and completely clueless on another.
If AWB had more positional awareness of where Angelino was, it would have been a different story. Individual mistakes have been our problem, just like Istanbul.

The United

Well, ever heard of having a bad day at work sometimes? Having more experience will make it occur less.

RBL against us was nothing amazing. Individual mistakes cost us mostly. We almost made it 3-3 on the other hand.

Ludens the Red

If AWB had more positional awareness of where Angelino was, it would have been a different story. Individual mistakes have been our problem, just like Istanbul.
Well, ever heard of having a bad day at work sometimes? Having more experience will make it occur less.

RBL against us was nothing amazing. Individual mistakes cost us mostly. We almost made it 3-3 on the other hand.
Ultimately you can always blame ‘individual mistakes’ if it goes wrong in the same way I could absolve Ole of credit today by pointing to great individual performances. I think that’s too simple.
Against RBL we started badly because we we set up badly. Our mindset was negative, we weren’t confrontational and we were too deep. Today we were the opposite against a team who play similar football. In their faces, sprinting and on the front foot. If we did this in Leipzig we’d have won.

TrustInOle

Ultimately you can always blame ‘individual mistakes’ if it goes wrong in the same way I could absolve Ole of credit today by pointing to great individual performances. I think that’s too simple.
Against RBL we started badly because we we set up badly. Our mindset was negative, we weren’t confrontational and we were too deep. Today we were the opposite against a team who play similar football. In their faces, sprinting and on the front foot. If we did this in Leipzig we’d have won.
No offence but that's just a lazy comparison without relating it to actual events. AWB was playing wing back that game, with 3 CB's and was literally only stood a few yards away from Lindelof both times they switched to Angelino for their goals. His defensive positions when not 1v1 is his biggest weakness whilst defending. Hence Leeds today sending most crosses his way.

The United

Just because we set up with 3 5 2 does not mean it is negative or set up badly. We had plenty of games with that set up where we controlled and beat other top teams soundly.

AWB not looking behind on crosses or Harry leaving the ball in front of the goal had nothing to do with bad set up. There is no set up that can prevent mistakes like that on this earth.

Individual mistakes matter just like individual talents that can win the game. It is why you need better players or players with experiences in games like those.

Last edited:

Eternitiy

A fair point, and indeed de Gea also cost us in that match with a pathetic attempt of a challenge for Kluivert's goal.

The 3-5-2 was a mistake in the Leipzig match, and in fairness we looked much more balanced when we switched to a back four.

Status
Not open for further replies.