Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Scholes18

Ole is the one who has got us into this position. Our transfers have been much better under him. He has us taking character into account.
I am not sure the transfers have been that good apart from Bruno. Most of our best players are from the Mourinho era at the moment.

Granted he has got some of them producing like Rashford, but I don't feel he is building something in the market.

Cavani is pure short term etc and Maguire has many problems. AWB is too limited in attack.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Where we secured top 4 on the last day? Like I thought then, he achieved what was required by that point. For progress we should be comfortably top 4 this year and within the title race with a couple months to go. I think that’s progress. The champions league mess is probably the one real mark against his name this season so far.
Overall, I’ll judge him fully come the end of the season. There’ll definitely be ups and downs before then.

You just said that you only judge people on full seasons and then you say “he only got third on the last day.”

You have to pick one.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I am not sure the transfers have been that good apart from Bruno. Most of our best players are from the Mourinho era at the moment.

Granted he has got some of them producing like Rashford, but I don't feel he is building something in the market.

Cavani is pure short term etc and Maguire has many problems. AWB is too limited in attack.
Who the hell is our best player from the Mourinho era?

Pogba or Bailly? They’re the only two who started tonight aren’t they?

James Ward

I think he's done an okay job but the champions league exit still annoys me.

There's more work to be done to create space and badly lacking a quality winger and proper full backs.

Lets not kid ourselves we have the best starting 11 in the league.

The rebuild job is still far from over.

I expect a top four finish with Ole in charge and no trophies as he's tatically not good enough for anything else.

Robbie Boy

Shit match but an important 3 points over the busy festive season. A win against Villa and 7 from 9 is a good return even though we messed up a-bit agsinst Leicester.

I just admire the constant efforts of Ole outers to come up with unique excuses to not accept that they rushed in judging Ole on an online forum where nobody knows them personally.

All the wins are because of luck, individual brilliance, penalties, whereas losses are due to Ole.

The lack of consistency argument is brought up in a year, where we have gotten more points than anyone (?) in the league.

The argument of lack of style is brought up when we have been quite convincing in most of our wins.

And so on.
some of these people have no joy in their lives. I’ve used this before, but they are the type of people who find £5 on the pavement and get immediately pissed off it’s not a £20 note.

OGS was a surprise appointment, but I’ve got behind him from the beginning. It’s not just about where we are tonight, he’s changed the culture, United have started to get our identity back - and he cares about the club. Something none of our managers post Fergie have shown.

we are progressing, and doing well. We are still developing and improving - how exciting is that when we have got more points than anyone else in 2020!

The United

IF I had been supporting the club for 40 years, I would have known better with these up and downs in periods the club is currently in.

I would have been glad to see that we are starting to win games like this in this period.

But, that is just me.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Dec. 18 - "Stupid sentimental appointment"
March 19 - "He is doing what Jose did but players downed the tools for Jose"
May 19 - "We told you!!!!Yeaaah!!!! He is a PE Teacher"
Aug 19 - "Maguire for 80M pounds? Clueless"
Dec 19 - "We are going to get relegated. Get Poch!"
Aug 20 - "3rd place is not good enough. He was lucky. 20 points off Liverpool. Pathetic"
Oct 20 - "14 th place.We are on fecking 14th place. Catastroph!!!!!."
Dec, 1, 20 - United on 4th place "Too early to judge. Poor coaching"
Dec 31, 20 - United on 2nd place, 2 points off Liverpool "Still poor coaching. Too early to judge"
May 21 - United wins EPL "Maguire for 80M pounds? And awful coaching!!!!"

Hypocrisy

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
IF I had been supporting the club for 40 years, I would have known better with these up and downs in periods the club is currently in.

I would have been glad to see that we are starting to win games like this in this period.

But, that is just me.
You can all go an and call me miserable etc if that makes you happy. But, if we hadn't won this match on the 94th minute with an own goal, we would be 5th, same as we were last year this time when everybody was complaining, 6 more points than last year with some very lucky wins. If that's the progress you're all in ecstasy about that's fine by me.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Who do you represent? And who are you to tell me to go and support Chelsea? I've been supporting this club for 40 years won't have you telling me to go and support another team.
wait, was it you in that ‘sack Fergie, Sell Giggs’ photo??

You really should ‘support’ another team as you’re not a very good ‘supporter’ of Manchester United

Fluctuation0161

It is not perfect but it is progression.

Not aimed at you in particular, many of my mates are like this, but i find too many United fans seem to think that now we are playing better attacking football we should just flick a switch and its 1999 again. Then when we need to be patient they are overcrticial.of Ole.

It is a long process and we have had 7 years of decline and mistakes. For me, Ole has earned the right to get us to the end of the season and then we can assess his suitably to the job.

The United

You can all go an and call me miserable etc if that makes you happy. But, if we hadn't won this match on the 94th minute with an own goal, we would be 5th, same as we were last year this time when everybody was complaining, 6 more points than last year with some very lucky wins. If that's the progress you're all in ecstasy about that's fine by me.
These so called lucky wins are very much needed and will give us a confidence boost. Our players will keep trying and the other teams will feel like they will lose eventually no matter what they do on the day because of ' luck'.

The difference between title winning teams and not.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
If (and it’s still a massive if) we win the league.. you can already see the media spin that it’ll be because of covid and the inconsistency of others and that we’re the worst team to win the league etc etc. Ole will not get any credit

Paul_Scholes18

It is not perfect but it is progression.

Not aimed at you in particular, many of my mates are like this, but i find too many United fans seem to think that now we are playing better attacking football we should just flick a switch and its 1999 again. Then when we need to be patient they are overcrticial.of Ole.

It is a long process and we have had 7 years of decline and mistakes. For me, Ole has earned the right to get us to the end of the season and then we can assess his suitably to the job.
Agree with the last. Give him this season at least. The mentality seems to be good in the team. We have turned many games around.
I just hope we can win something soon. Give something for us all to enjoy.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
You must have hated that 'lucky' late win in 99.

The_Midfielder

Maguire and Bissaka have been our better players in the last 2 years... Who would you have in place of Maguire in CB?

Traub

You just said that you only judge people on full seasons and then you say “he only got third on the last day.”

You have to pick one.
I said he achieved what was expected. He got there in the end and rightfully was given another season to see whether he can take us further. It’s way too early to say whether he can at this point in the season - even by his own admission tonight stating we not even halfway through the season.

AshRK

I know it's still early days in the season but he is doing a fabulous job in the league so far. If this was Lampard or arteta with their squad people would habmve just hailed them. Ole has to get more credit for sure.

Matriac

Maguire and Bissaka have been our better players in the last 2 years... Who would you have in place of Maguire in CB?
If we had proper scouts we would have found a Rio regen from the continent for just €10m that no other team (still) knows exist.

El Zoido

He's doing a good job, he just is. I wish I could have been at Old Trafford tonight to celebrate that goal. People forget that it wasn't all swashbuckling football under Fergie, we had plenty of flat performances like this where we scraped a win. You cannot put every opponent to the sword, Wolves deserved a point today and they got nothing. It wasn't a fluke, it's because after 94 minutes, Bruno is still pinging balls forward and Rashford is still looking to get on the end of them. If we'd had any of our previous managers we wouldn't have won this game, in fact we'd probably have lost 1-0. Ole is clearly doing something right, and at some point he needs to start getting credit for this. We are clearly so much better than we were 2 years ago.

RUCK4444

He's doing a good job, he just is. I wish I could have been at Old Trafford tonight to celebrate that goal. People forget that it wasn't all swashbuckling football under Fergie, we had plenty of flat performances like this where we scraped a win. You cannot put every opponent to the sword, Wolves deserved a point today and they got nothing. It wasn't a fluke, it's because after 94 minutes, Bruno is still pinging balls forward and Rashford is still looking to get on the end of them. If we'd had any of our previous managers we wouldn't have won this game, in fact we'd probably have lost 1-0. Ole is clearly doing something right, and at some point he needs to start getting credit for this. We are clearly so much better than we were 2 years ago.
Totally agree.

Mindhunter

Again, I am in the Ole out crowd because I feel that tactically he hasn't really shown that he is up there with the top managers of the world. At least in the CL, his tactics have been poor.

But massive credit to him for pulling us out of the doldrums after a boring LVG reign and a toxic Mourinho reign when the club was absolutely devoid of ideas and hope. He brought back the feel good factor first, then the personnel, and now we are beginning to see the character. The style may come in a few more months but he deserves the the opportunity to continue to manage with the way he is stacking up the points.

I don't see any reason to discount his immense contribution to getting the club to this position. No other manager would have had the patience to painstakingly put us back together like he has done. They would have tried to change too many things too soon and we all know that Man Utd isn't very agile in managing change.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Everybody was bitching about how far behind Liverpool we ended up last season and that we had to do something to bridge the gap. I always think that is such a dumb argument as Liverpool didn't start with a 33-pt lead at the beginning of the season.

After 15 games last season we were 22 points behind Liverpool:

After 15 games this season we are only 2 points behind:

There's no such thing as a 'lucky win'. And every club in their history has those games where they win/lose in the last minute, by a penalty, OG, sending off, goalkeeping howler etc., etc. Ok, so we're out of the Champions League but unless we actually win it, I couldn't care less when we go out. Solskjaer has already clawed back 20 points on Liverpool. We're at least in the conversation at this moment in time. You must be a miserable fecker if you can't appreciate that for what it is.

I'm sure Guardiola, Mourinho, Lampard and Arteta would rather be in our position.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
You must have hated that 'lucky' late win in 99.
That is so erelevant.
Everybody was bitching about how far behind Liverpool we ended up last season and that we had to do something to bridge the gap. I always think that is such a dumb argument as Liverpool didn't start with a 33-pt lead at the beginning of the season.

After 15 games last season we were 22 points behind Liverpool:

After 15 games this season we are only 2 points behind:

There's no such thing as a 'lucky win'. And every club in their history has those games where they win/lose in the last minute, by a penalty, OG, sending off, goalkeeping howler etc., etc. Ok, so we're out of the Champions League but unless we actually win it, I couldn't care less when we go out. Solskjaer has already clawed back 20 points on Liverpool. We're at least in the conversation at this moment in time. You must be a miserable fecker if you can't appreciate that for what it is.

I'm sure Guardiola, Mourinho, Lampard and Arteta would rather be in our position.
Look what I'm saying is this.
We didn't play well today. A full squad no injuries against a very young Wolves team that had played a game less than three days ago and couldn't name a striker.
We could barely create chances.
If it wasn't for an own goal on the 94th minute we would now be 5th. 6th if City won their game in hand. The same position we were in this time last year, 6 points more than last year.
So that own goal on the 94th minute was the difference between being 2nd or 6th.
I think we should be playing a lot better than we are with the squad we have.
If that makes me a miserable fecker to you that ok with me.

Red00012

So name the mourinho signings who doesn’t have Maguire’s problems or AWB’s limits

Red00012

That is so erelevant.

We didn't play well today. A full squad no injuries against a very young Wolves team that had played a game less than three days ago and couldn't name a striker.
If it wasn't for an own goal on the 94th minute we would now be 5th. 6th if City won their game in hand. The same position we were in this time last year, 6 points more than last year.
So that own goal on the 94th minute was the difference between being 2nd or 6th.
Miserable fecker

Flexdegea

That is so erelevant.

You are super miserable.......chill out

sport2793

Again, I am in the Ole out crowd because I feel that tactically he hasn't really shown that he is up there with the top managers of the world. At least in the CL, his tactics have been poor.

But massive credit to him for pulling us out of the doldrums after a boring LVG reign and a toxic Mourinho reign when the club was absolutely devoid of ideas and hope. He brought back the feel good factor first, then the personnel, and now we are beginning to see the character. The style may come in a few more months but he deserves the the opportunity to continue to manage with the way he is stacking up the points.

I don't see any reason to discount his immense contribution to getting the club to this position. No other manager would have had the patience to painstakingly put us back together like he has done. They would have tried to change too many things too soon and we all know that Man Utd isn't very agile in managing change.
Totally reasonable and logical response. Well said.

Tarrou

now that Ole has a squad and is rotating loads I think we can categorically say that he didn't rotate before because the backups were dog-shit

Wicked_Badger

You are miserable. A win is a win. We’re improving. We’re ahead of where we were this time last year. Our squad is stronger than it was and we’re 2 points off the top of the league.

Yeah we’ll probably not win it, and maybe we’ll actually end up worse than last year, who knows? But currently we’re doing well, potentially building something promising. Our football can be pretty exciting (which is far more than can be said for many of the post Fergie years), and there’s definitely potential for improvement.

Try and enjoy it. There’s not been much else this year to enjoy!

pav1790

That is so erelevant.

We played badly. But as a supporter - winning when we played badly is something I will take any day of the week over losing when playing well - and we have had a few of those in the past few years, as well. Even Ole acknowledged it. And we will all talk about it until the next game. But please, see if you can bring yourself to enjoy the win at least.

Secondly, it's not an own goal. It's been attributed to Rashford - while it was a deflection. Want to see an own goal? Check our last match - where we dropped two points due to an own goal by Tuanzebe. Leicester also had longer recovery than us then. These things even out in a season of football. If there was only skill involved and personalities and mentality did not matter, we may as well simulate the fifa and declare winners. I don't know why you are so adamant on being so inconsistent in your judgement and plain wrong about facts?

As for the squad, if you could point out your positive posts about the squad in the off season, I'd be glad. Or is it decent only when it is to be used as a stick to beat the manager and team with?

Withnail

From the Mourinho era or just in the squad while he was here?

Of the current regulars only De Gea and Matic were ever-present in the starting line up.

Paul_Scholes18

From the Mourinho era or just in the squad while he was here?

Of the current regulars only De Gea and Matic were ever-present in the starting line up.
De Gea, Shaw, Lindelöf, Bailly, Rashford, Martial, Matic, Mctominay, Fred, Pogba from that era.

From current key players only Bruno is bought by Ole and then maybe Maguire, but we could probably do without him.

Winrar

Was is the 16/17 season under Mourinho where we had so many draws at OT because we kept failing to find a way to break through deep defending opponents like Wolves today?

It feels like we've improved quite a bit on this aspect, nowadays I feel more confident of our team getting a winner after drawing at 80+mins.

Withnail

That is so erelevant.

We were under par and won. We are second and on a good run.
We will play better than we did tonight but we kept pushing and got the winner against an opponent who always makes it difficult for us, which wasn't an OG might I add.

We have every reason to be optimistic going into the New Year so yes you are being a miserable fecker.

now that Ole has a squad and is rotating loads I think we can categorically say that he didn't rotate before because the backups were dog-shit
Bingo!

lex talionis

Ole deserves high marks for his management in the PL so far this season, although I still believe we deserve a better explanation as to why the squad was so unfit — mentally and physically — at the beginning of the season.

Paul_Scholes18

Ole deserves high marks for his management in the PL so far this season, although I still believe we deserve a better explanation as to why the squad was so unfit — mentally and physically — at the beginning of the season.
Had he taken Fred off it could have been a brilliant start? I think without that red card we would have managed to qualify for CL.

Status
Not open for further replies.