Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Ole too nice though eh?

Typically, this was another slugfest on home turf. "Stop f-----g giving the ball away," Solskjaer shouted in the 115th minute. He will be particularly grateful for the five-day gap between West Ham and West Brom away following the two-hour slog and such tight games have denied United outright championship challenger status as they fade into also-rans.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...st-ham-19805526.amp?__twitter_impression=true

croadyman

Desperately want him to keep faith with Deano on Sunday but just know that isn't going to happen however he performed tonight because think he is still a bit too sentimental on this one and won't drop DDG.

Olecurls99

Okay. So I had a look. These are are the players Pep had from their last title winning team.

Hart (loaned out)
Kompany
Aguero
David Silva
Yaya Toure

Im open for anyone to explain to me what they meant when they said he had a title winning team. :lol:
I wish Ole had started his United reign with those 5. I don't think you made the point you thought you were making.

Steve 007

No, we're not. And where did I say that LvG played better I pretty much said quite the contrary? Either way doesn't matter. He doesn't get off just because LvG played shit football. Has Ole developed Rashford or is he just a 20-year old that got better at football? Anyway, I'm not really impressed by Rashford, Greenwood, or Martial this season so... I'm not saying he hasn't done good things, but he hasn't done enough, and yet again, when he puts Bruno aside, we look rather clueless. Always the same when he changes a few players. Disoriented.
Not happy with the 49 league goals?
Anyteam in the world would miss Bruno at present, you have to feel sorry for VDB, with Bruno ahead of him you justifiably might feel some pressure. As for Rashford getting better on his own, fantastic, but how many don’t? Rashfords stats speak for him. We had mourinho too. Two supposed to be world class managers managing us and we think ole isn’t good enough?
I wish Ole had started his United reign with those 5. I don't think you made the point you thought you were making.
Agreed 4 great, great outfield players. How much are they worth in a non pandemic market?

RobertoBaggio99

9-0 vs Soton and 3-3 vs Everton, our most recent results going into this fixture. We proceed to advance after beating 6th place West Ham 1-0 and we're apparently back to the LVG days and bottling another semi-final as a result. I'm amused, thank you.

Womp

idiot
Don't agree with the sentiment that only Klopp and Pep would be clear improvements over Ole. I would take any of Rodgers, Rose, Nagelsmann - all of which have shown they can make a team greater than the sum of their parts - especially from an offensive POV. With a smaller budget/inferior players.

The days of the pragmatic manager are done imo. It's why the Jose's and Ancelotti's etc are now at lesser clubs. The best teams these days absolutely dominate, have a set identity - most likely a high intensity press, fast ball movement and passing patterns.

Mainoldo

He had:

De Gea
Pogba
Rashford
Martial
Lukaku

Did he need a better 5? It wasn’t the point I was making but I’ll follow up on your point. Did Ole have a bad 5?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He had:

De Gea
Pogba
Rashford
Martial
Lukaku

Did he need a better 5? It wasn’t the point I was making but I’ll follow up on your point. Did Ole have a bad 5?
The 5 you've listed are going to go in PL team of the decade. In these 5, only Dave would go in.

Rashford and Martial were 21 and 23 respectively. Potentially great players, but still young to perform on a week on week basis

troylocker

Wish we avoided the 30 extra minutes. Other than that he had Moyes in his pocket the entire match. Total domination against a team that played antifootball and sat back in their own third for 120 minutes, and I think our pressing was at times very good. I find it hard to complain about his dispositions today: He gave DVB a fair chance to shine, Telles, Matic, Henderson, Greenwood got starts and Martial and Rashford got to start in their favourite positions. We got some answers and are through to the quarters. All good.

troylocker

He had:

De Gea
Pogba
Rashford
Martial
Lukaku

The list of City players you mentioned was the players in his squad that had won the PL (the only player in that list with a PL trophy is DDG), the squad he inherrited also had:

KDB
Navas
Kolarov
Sterling
Nasri
Fernandinho
Fernando
Otamendi
Sagna
Zabaleta
Mangala
Demichelis

plus the mentioned:
Hart
Kompany
Silva
Yaya
Aguero

I'm willing to suggest Pep inherrited a lot more quality than what Ole did. Do you really think the squad Ole inherrited was of the same quality? I don't think it was even close...

GoldTrafford99

The list of City players you mentioned was the players in his squad that had won the PL (the only player in that list with a PL trophy is DDG), the squad he inherrited also had:

KDB
Navas
Kolarov
Sterling
Nasri
Fernandinho
Fernando
Otamendi
Sagna
Zabaleta
Mangala
Demichelis

plus the mentioned:
Hart
Kompany
Silva
Yaya
Aguero

I'm willing to suggest Pep inherrited a lot more quality than what Ole did. Do you really think the squad Ole inherrited was of the same quality? I don't think it was even close...

But this isn't even a comparible argument.

Guardiola came into a club that were expecting him to come in... they'd been building towards Guardiola for years... hiring his best mate as director of football in 2011, hiring a manager in Pellegrini who plays the same philosophy as Guardiola and who is on record as saying he was keeping the seat warm for Guardiola...

Solskjaer came in to United after two failed high-profile managers undid all of the work Sir Alex had done in the previous quarter of a century. Solskjaer's job wasn't to turn up to a job that had literally been fine-tuned to his football philosophy; he turned up and had to begin again - clearing out the dross of players collated by those two 'world class managers' before him and then starting to rebuild a mentality and philosophy that would take United places in time. He is literally half-way through that plan and is ahead of schedule.

Solskjaer's job can't be compared to Pep.

It can be compared to Klopp coming into Liverpool in 2015, though. (who finished 8th, 4th, 4th, 2nd, 1st)

And it can be compared to Sir Alex coming into United in 1986. (who finished 11th, 2nd, 11th, 13th, 2nd, 1st)

Solskjaer's job is to reset the philosophy and mentality of a sleeping giant (like Klopp and Ferguson).

It's fair to say that he has, at least, reawoken that giant quicker than both Klopp and Fergie... Yet the giant ain't quite out of bed yet... the next 2-3 seasons will hopefully see us rise and win a league title and hopefully that sets us up for a period of dominance... He's certainly started great (finishing 6th, 3rd - and now 2nd). We have such a young, promising squad... Ole has done a stellar job. No doubt about it.

Last edited:

Mickson

Not happy with the 49 league goals?
Anyteam in the world would miss Bruno at present, you have to feel sorry for VDB, with Bruno ahead of him you justifiably might feel some pressure. As for Rashford getting better on his own, fantastic, but how many don’t? Rashfords stats speak for him. We had mourinho too. Two supposed to be world class managers managing us and we think ole isn’t good enough?

Agreed 4 great, great outfield players. How much are they worth in a non pandemic market?
Yes, I am. But I don't think we play attractive football and I don't think we are creating that much. Yes, we have one in like four games that we create much, but most of the time, we aren't creating many chances. However, we are one of the most, if not the most, effective team in the league.

Mainoldo

KDB
Navas
Kolarov
Sterling
Nasri
Fernandinho
Fernando
Otamendi
Sagna
Zabaleta
Mangala
Demichelis

plus the mentioned:
Hart
Kompany
Silva
Yaya
Aguero

This what happens on this thread you discuss a point it grows and then people forget the actual point being discussed.. then try and come at you with a new point that has nothing to do with the original point.

The whole point was that Pep inherited a title winning team. Not a good team not a team filled with XYZ. Just a title winning team. I then flipped it to say Ole inherited a Europa winning team, not a good team not a team filled with XYZ.

Tell me if I am wrong but I believe both points are true.

Some clever clogs then decided to point out only 6 of that Europa league winning team still remained at the club when Ole took over. So I asked how many of Pep’s title winning team did he inherit... Silence.. so I decided to have a look and list them. There is as 5. 1 he sent on loan and the other he already had a big falling out with and didn’t use.

So I’d like to think the point was irrelevant and it could have been left there. But no someone then decided to bring up the quality aspect. Informing me those 5 players was way better than what we had. So I gave them 5 quality players that we had.

You can also tell me if I’m wrong but I fail to accept those players listed aren’t quality players. Whether they are world Class or the best players the premier league has ever seen. They are quality players. But like I said let me know if you disagree.

I’m not trying to convince people Ole should win Manchester United the title because Pep did. All I am doing is presenting facts to silly quotes that have been mentioned.

Mainoldo

The 5 you've listed are going to go in PL team of the decade. In these 5, only Dave would go in.

Rashford and Martial were 21 and 23 respectively. Potentially great players, but still young to perform on a week on week basis
Fair argument.. but that wasn’t the point I was making.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This what happens on this thread you discuss a point it grows and then people forget the actual point being discussed.. then try and come at you with a new point that has nothing to do with the original point.

The whole point was that Pep inherited a title winning team. Not a good team not a team filled with XYZ. Just a title winning team. I then flipped it to say Ole inherited a Europa winning team, not a good team not a team filled with XYZ.

Some clever clogs then decided to point out only 6 of that Europa league winning team still remained at the club when Ole took over. So I asked how many of Pep’s title winning team did he inherit... Silence.. so I decided to have a look and list them. There is as 5. 1 he sent on loan and the other he already had a big falling out with and didn’t use.

So I’d like to think the point was irrelevant and it could have been left there. But no someone then decided to bring up the quality aspect. Informing me those 5 players was way better than what we had. So I gave them 5 quality players that we had.

You can also tell me if I’m wrong but I fail to accept those players listed aren’t quality players. Whether they are world Class or the best players the premier league has ever seen. They are quality players. But like I said let me know if you disagree.

I’m not trying to convince people Ole should win Manchester United the title because Pep did. All I am doing is presenting facts to silly quotes that have been mentioned.
I have no idea what argument is being made here, as their thread has been a trainwreck, but if you really regard - Aguero, an old Yaya Toure, Kompany, Silva and Fernandinho in the same bracket as Dave, a 21 year old Marcus, Martial, Lingard, Shaw (who barely played in EL) and Pogba (who was injured for 75% of the season), then I'm not sure if there is anything left to be said

troylocker

I guess I can't argue with the bolded part.

Agree that it doesn't matter if they inherrited a winning team or not, what matters is the quality of the players in the squad they inherrited.
I think Pep inherrited a much better squad though and started his City career by using the summer window well (Gundo, Sane, Stones and Nolito in the summer, Jesus in the first Jan window) before season start. So comparing the the two based on win percentages and trophies when starting points were so different isn't really fair to either.

Sylar

I know most people were wanting early subs yesterday, but i had no issues with a lack of changes as it was the FA Cup and he clearly wanted the game done without having to use the likes of Bruno / Cavani.

troylocker

But this isn't even a comparible argument.

Guardiola came into a club that were expecting him to come in... they'd been building towards Guardiola for years... hiring his best mate as director of football in 2011, hiring a manager in Pellegrini who plays the same philosophy as Guardiola and who is on record as saying he was keeping the seat warm for Guardiola...

Solskjaer came in to United after two failed high-profile managers undid all of the work Sir Alex had done in the previous quarter of a century. Solskjaer's job wasn't to turn up to a job that had literally been fine-tuned to his football philosophy; he turned up and had to begin again - clearing out the dross of players collated by those two 'world class managers' before him and then starting to rebuild a mentality and philosophy that would take United places in time. He is literally half-way through that plan and is ahead of schedule.

Solskjaer's job can't be compared to Pep.

It can be compared to Klopp coming into Liverpool in 2015, though. (who finished 8th, 4th, 4th, 2nd, 1st)

And it can be compared to Sir Alex coming into United in 1986. (who finished 11th, 2nd, 11th, 13th, 2nd, 1st)

Solskjaer's job is to reset the philosophy and mentality of a sleeping giant (like Klopp and Ferguson).

It's fair to say that he has, at least, reawoken that giant quicker than both Klopp and Fergie... Yet the giant ain't quite out of bed yet... the next 2-3 seasons will hopefully see us rise and win a league title and hopefully that sets us up for a period of dominance... He's certainly started great (finishing 6th, 3rd - and now 2nd). We have such a young, promising squad... Ole has done a stellar job. No doubt about it.
You make some good points.

Polar

Don't agree with the sentiment that only Klopp and Pep would be clear improvements over Ole. I would take any of Rodgers, Rose, Nagelsmann - all of which have shown they can make a team greater than the sum of their parts - especially from an offensive POV.
Shocking, but nothing comes as a surprise anymore. It’s difficult to find better words when people wants to replace Ole with Rodgers, Rose and Nagelsmann:lol:

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Yes, I am. But I don't think we play attractive football and I don't think we are creating that much. Yes, we have one in like four games that we create much, but most of the time, we aren't creating many chances. However, we are one of the most, if not the most, effective team in the league.
We are third in total shots taken link and Bruno tops the charts of "big chances created" and Shaw is at an tied 8 place with the likes of Son and Salah

Mainoldo

I have no idea what argument is being made here, as their thread has been a trainwreck, but if you really regard - Aguero, an old Yaya Toure, Kompany, Silva and Fernandinho in the same bracket as Dave, a 21 year old Marcus, Martial, Lingard, Shaw (who barely played in EL) and Pogba (who was injured for 75% of the season), then I'm not sure if there is anything left to be said
There’s isn’t anything left to be sad because we are having totally different arguments. Respectfully.

But on your point I have to add. The quality within our squad has never been a problem. We’ve had and have some very good players. We look even better now too.

OleBoiii

The quality within our squad has never been a problem.
Wow.

I'm not saying that Van Gaal or Mourinho were excellent, but to put the blame entirely on the them seems a bit harsh. We had a pretty shocking squad under Van Gaal, though he must take some of the blame for that. It got better under Mourinho, but a lot of his singings underperformed or were short-term solutions.

If you look at the strength of the average PL winner over the last 20 years, then I'd argue we're 1 or 2 top signings ala Bruno away from that. People can't keep getting away with using the same outlier examples over and over again. For every Leicester there are 20 PL winners that were significantly stronger than we are now.

tomaldinho1

Ole too nice though eh?

Typically, this was another slugfest on home turf. "Stop f-----g giving the ball away," Solskjaer shouted in the 115th minute. He will be particularly grateful for the five-day gap between West Ham and West Brom away following the two-hour slog and such tight games have denied United outright championship challenger status as they fade into also-rans.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...st-ham-19805526.amp?__twitter_impression=true
I think the only time I can remember him being visibly angry in his technical area was when he yelled at Lingard for giving the ball away and threatened to hook him. I don't really care if he just sits and looks at his monitor - not sure if he's just catching up on a series or has some bird's eye cam going on but it's fair to say most managers are a lot more active on the touchline and, especially now there are no crowds, a lot more active in coaching/giving tactical instructions from the box.

I am aware Carrick might be doing this but he's so quiet and meek, I don't know how anyone would ever know. I swear I saw him shout once into his coat when a decision went against us.

Matriac

I think the only time I can remember him being visibly angry in his technical area was when he yelled at Lingard for giving the ball away and threatened to hook him. I don't really care if he just sits and looks at his monitor - not sure if he's just catching up on a series or has some bird's eye cam going on but it's fair to say most managers are a lot more active on the touchline and, especially now there are no crowds, a lot more active in coaching/giving tactical instructions from the box.

I am aware Carrick might be doing this but he's so quiet and meek, I don't know how anyone would ever know. I swear I saw him shout once into his coat when a decision went against us.
I think it's also down to him being on the touchline when there's action going on. When the camera can't be looking at him because there's active play going on. He's not one to stand there after the fact to yell madly at players (unless really needed).

If you check out the pitchside cam videos from matches that we sometimes post on the United youtube channel he looks to be much more often on the touchline barking orders than you get the impression of if just watching the TV broadcast.

Matriac

I don't see how any United fan could dislike Ole, honestly. I guess many people forgot or don't know what Manchester United is all about.
I was extremely unhappy in the years since SAF retired, because we started to look like any other ordinary "big team", or at least "rich team". Getting tons of players every summer, changing managers every one or two years, not having any perspective for the future... Everything that happened to Moyes was his own doing (saying "I don't know what to do to win a game at this point" was the last nail). We made a mistake with him, happens.. But after him? Getting managers who are clearly the temporary solution (LVG and Jose were not getting any younger, were they?). Both of them started transforming the team into something that it never was. LVG and his pointless possession football was ridiculous, and Jose is just so damn negative in everything he does. The squad was left without balance or purpose whatsoever. Negative football, negative thoughts. Temporary solutions to temporary problems that made the bigger picture even worse.

Let me say that under Ole we are the closest to the SAF era we have ever been since he retired. People often seem to be expressing the opinion that "Quality players are bailing Ole out". Let me say something to that - quality players are the thing that makes a great team what it is. Even the GREATEST COACH EVER, even a master tactician, a magician if you want, can do so much with Stoke City for example or Fulham or any mid to lower table team. This is football and no matter what you do, no matter how you set up your team, the difference makers are always the talented, quality players. Yes, you may win the odd game as the underdog against a great team. You may even scrape a cup here and there. But you'll never be anything more than some ordinary team that managed to overachieve. Every great team ever is defined by quality players. That includes us. Ever since we became a factor again in early 90's, we always had amazing world class players dragging us forward.

Ole is still learning, yes. But we've been only getting better since he is in charge. He also happens to have world class abilities - his man management and his public attitude. And these are abilities that you can't underestimate or ignore, because they are the foundation of success. No team is going to find a lot of success under a complete prick like Van Gaal or a frowny excuse maker like Jose, who also happens to love throwing his own players under the bus. Both VG and Jose failed miserably in managing the squad attitude, the atmosphere around the club and the overall feeling of our play. Let me give a little example - if Memphis Depay was playing under Ole, he would have been massively successful and I'm certain about it. He is clearly a player that you need to show trust in, so he can deliver. Jose froze him out and LVG never really gave him a proper chance. Dropping players is sometimes the correct call, but sometimes it's fecking stupid and shows lack of vision or understanding from the manager.

In think Ole is managing the squad perfectly. We lose very rarely and I can only remember 2-3 odd games where we were actually outclassed. The problem is that we DRAW way too much, that was the case last season, seems to be happening this season as well. I think the reason is that most of our squad is made of players who just don't know how to win and get confused when they are in position to achieve something great. There is a reason our performances are better since the introduction of Bruno and now Cavani. Those guys are WINNERS. They have the "take everything or nothing" mentality and they manage to push us over the line when the games are tight.
On the other hand we have Martial, who Ole is managing perfectly, but he is just locked in his own head and refuses to take chance after chance. Honestly maybe we should let Martial go at this point, just can't see the guy ever being the great United striker, leading us to glory. The ability is there, the mentality is not and I don't think that's repairable by any manager. We have Greenwood, who has all the talent in the world, but is still young (the problem with him is that he managed to score a lot of the same goal - run in the box, cut back to your other foot and shoot in the far corner. He tries to do that every game and often fecks up great attacks). We also have Rashford who has Ronaldo and Bebé living in him, and you never know which one you are getting (sometimes you get glimpses of both). I believe that getting Sancho in the summer is going to make Rashford look world class next season - when he understands that he is not undroppable, he is going to double his efforts I reckon.

The good news is that we have young players, getting in their prime, that are developing winners mentality - Scot, Luke.

Overall I think winning the FA cup and finishing in top 4 would be a massive success this season. Not sure about the Europa and if we should put a lot of effort in challenging that. But anyway - winning one of those cups is going to be essential. These players need to win something to get that extra boost of confidence and mentality.
There is no doubt in my mind that if we manage to grab a cup (or two) this season, fortified with a strong top 4 finish, get in class CB, winger and striker early summer, we are winning the league next season. If Pogba goes in the summer we'll need to replace him properly too.

Also there is no doubt in my mind that Ole is the long term solution and sacking him would be a huge mistake, leading us again into the downward spiral of getting temporary solutions and getting rid of them. We are not fecking chelsea, are we?
What made Manchester United (and also I should mention Arsenal) unique and great through all these years, was the foundation of the club. And I strongly believe Ole can do that and he has been bringing the proper Manchester United spirit and culture back ever since his day one.

What younger fans do not understand and some older fans seem to have forgotten is that the culture and the idealism of a football club is what makes you support it. Not the temporary success.
Personally I am sure that OGS is that man getting us there and making us the great Manchester United again. And I bloody hope I'm right. My heart and my common sense say so anyway.

And even if for some reason we get someone else, he better be a long term solution and a manager who is going to be here for many, many years.
I won't be able to recognize a club, called Manchester United, throwing managers and players away like paper towels. Our glory is in something else. The greatest ever Sir Alex had it. And I believe his player Ole Gunnar Solskjær has it.

Just wanted to highlight this post that I think most missed over the weekend (probably cause it's so long!)

I just want to give kudos to you @Toshey for remaining so positive.
Personally I was so disappointed on Saturday evening that I had to stay away from here until next match day. (I even gave a door a good punch for the first time in years from the disappointing over-time goal.) At 2-0 up I was thinking finally we had a game where we looked in control early and the victory was never in doubt, alas. Thus the disappointment was bigger than SU that just felt unfair.

Yet here you were the very next morning bleeding United through and through. I basically agree with everything you wrote, although even I don't have as rose-tinted glasses always.
I wanted Ole to take over after SAF ever since he retired as a player and worked in his team, but I expected SAF to keep going some more years for Ole to get more experience first.

I'm delighted that we now have him as our Manager and that the progress seem to be going well even though we have some iffy results at times. I'm always looking forward to the next match. The biggest plus for me is the squad mentality, how they act with each other on and off the field, they seem to be buzzing. Now we just need to draw on experienced players to get results in nervy games, and I'm certain we're looking at some very promising years ahead.

tomaldinho1

I think it's also down to him being on the touchline when there's action going on. When the camera can't be looking at him because there's active play going on. He's not one to stand there after the fact to yell madly at players (unless really needed).

If you check out the pitchside cam videos from matches that we sometimes post on the United youtube channel he looks to be much more often on the touchline barking orders than you get the impression of if just watching the TV broadcast.
Yes I have seen him coming down more recently - I guess cameras only really pan to managers for reactions, not to just watch them 'working' so we only see a snippet.

Olecurls99

Don't agree with the sentiment that only Klopp and Pep would be clear improvements over Ole. I would take any of Rodgers, Rose, Nagelsmann - all of which have shown they can make a team greater than the sum of their parts - especially from an offensive POV. With a smaller budget/inferior players.

The days of the pragmatic manager are done imo. It's why the Jose's and Ancelotti's etc are now at lesser clubs. The best teams these days absolutely dominate, have a set identity - most likely a high intensity press, fast ball movement and passing patterns.
Ole has turned this club around. To replace him now with the next big shiny thing would not only be disgraceful, but would be one of the greatest pieces of self sabotage in football history.

Mickson

We are third in total shots taken link and Bruno tops the charts of "big chances created" and Shaw is at an tied 8 place with the likes of Son and Salah
Shooting doesn't mean creating. Isn't surprising to see Bruno up there either, if anything it says that we are relying upon individual performances rather than team play to create chances.

romufc

Shooting doesn't mean creating. Isn't surprising to see Bruno up there either, if anything it says that we are relying upon individual performances rather than team play to create chances.
Okay shooting isnt creating. How about "Big Chances Created"?

We are 2nd with 48 City with 50. Or does it not count because we rely on individuals too much?

Raven

Ole has turned this club around. To replace him now with the next big shiny thing would not only be disgraceful, but would be one of the greatest pieces of self sabotage in football history.
Yeah, the players wouldn't be very happy about it, I wouldn't think.

Raven

Okay shooting isnt creating. How about "Big Chances Created"?

We are 2nd with 48 City with 50. Or does it not count because we rely on individuals too much?
His opinion is wrong, I'm sure he can see that too, just too proud to admit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.