Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidbob

I think hes a good manager in that he has stabablized us and improved a fair few players. The best coach we've had since Fergie easily. However I think his 'job' is close to being done in that he has gotten rid of deadwood and made us a good team again but to reach the next level we need someone else. I don't know who that is but hopefully Ed and the owners do (spoiler is that they almost certainly don't).

I actually think our squad right now is nearly good enough to be consistently challenging. On top of that I really believe that someone like McTominay can become a top class player and Greenwood can be amongst the best strikers in the World but we have to find a coach that can bring that side of them out. Ole has absolutely improved the team and the individual players but its like he's brought them to a 7 and we need another to bring them to a 9 or 10. Again I have no idea who that is. I love Ole and I certainly won't abuse him or say he's done a bad job when he has far outperformed the other 3 experienced coaches that came before him. Hopefully he can deliver top 4 again and we have someone lined up to bring us to the next level (spoiler again: we don't).

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Tuanzebe and James are squad players, there for us if and when we need them. For every Henderson where “he needs to play himself into form”, there’s a Martial for which Ole gets consistently criticised for playing.
Martial gets consistently criticised because he's had all season to play his way into form, but I think you know that. It's obviously not the same situation.

AshRK

Why didn't we gave Moyes whole season? And btw, Bayern sacked Kovac 2 months after winning double and looked them now. How stupid they look, eh?
Moyes was 7th when we sacked him and he took over a team which were champions. Not too difficult to understand.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Nothing wrong with that at all. It shows that a club understands football deeper than just the final result. It wants first place and looks at the manager thinking "You've done well, but are you good enough to take that extra step". And it can decide he's not good enough and look to upgrade him rather than just be passive and wait & see.
There's so much wrong with this.

Ole has taken us from 5th (half season) then 3rd and now 2nd and we don't have the best or even 2nd best team in the league do we?

Also if we sack him....what's the plan? Do we sack him now or in May? Who do we replace him with?

Fans are getting fed up with us not winning titles. Do you know who is responsible for us not winning league titles more than Ole? The owners and the board. Ole only been here 2 years. We were crap before he came in.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think hes a good manager in that he has stabablized us and improved a fair few players. The best coach we've had since Fergie easily. However I think his 'job' is close to being done in that he has gotten rid of deadwood and made us a good team again but to reach the next level we need someone else. I don't know who that is but hopefully Ed and the owners do (spoiler is that they almost certainly don't).

I actually think our squad right now is nearly good enough to be consistently challenging. On top of that I really believe that someone like McTominay can become a top class player and Greenwood can be amongst the best strikers in the World but we have to find a coach that can bring that side of them out. Ole has absolutely improved the team and the individual players but its like he's brought them to a 7 and we need another to bring them to a 9 or 10. Again I have no idea who that is. I love Ole and I certainly won't abuse him or say he's done a bad job when he has far outperformed the other 3 experienced coaches that came before him. Hopefully he can deliver top 4 again and we have someone lined up to bring us to the next level (spoiler again: we don't).
Ole isn't a coach he is a man manager. He would probably make a good second in command to a top coach.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He inherited a largely rubbish, overpaid squad that were completely and utterly bereft of confidence and were languishing near mid-table, and finished 20 odd points behind the league leaders the season before, while playing awful, pragmatic football. We’ve shipped out many from that squad, but apparently many isn’t enough.
And we would still finish 20 points off the leaders or probably more. (Last year it was 33 )

Hellboy

____

This forum loves to hate itself, I'm sure of it.

Man Utd win and this thread barely hits 2-3 pages.

Man Utd draw or lose and this thread EXPLODES with all the Ole Outers coming to cast their stone his way.

Absolute joke of a fanbase.

What is it about Ole that you hate so much that you have to kick him while he's down every single time Man Utd do not win. Most of this forum expect the Man Utd of old, but that Man Utd will not exist ever again, it was a different era. I'd expect if this was a Liverpool forum, they'd be calling for Klopp to be sacked after the form they've been in! Ole is the right man to take us forward, if you cannot see that then there's no turning it around.

Funny how when United were top the excuses were it's a COVID league and Ole doesn't deserve credit and it's not real and that we were top by luck. Now Man City are top it's a case of ohhh there just that much better than us, they're gonna win the league. United could never do that under Ole! This forum LOVES to hate itself and it adores the misery of losing a game. Because when we win, there is never this much activity on the forum.
Load of crap

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So you think we should sack him right now or in the morning? Is that what you'd do if it was you in charge?
Yes. I would fire him this evening. I would fired him long time ago in fact. Because he is not good enough. How is that hard to understand? The same how you have bad, average, good and world class players exactly the same goes for managers. Especially you from all people should understand what i want to say because you have no problem saying how some of our players are not good enough.
Some posters who want Ole to stay don't criticize players so i understand their sentiment towards any member of our club. They are just football romantics. But you criticize Glazers, Ed and players but then you can't understand how someone wants Ole out.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Does this apply to praising him after good results as well ? Or only to criticism ?
Tbf, this thread has relatively little traffic when we win. Maybe a couple of posts of "got the selection spot on." and thats about it. Where as when we lose/draw its 5+ new pages

Imo he fecked up today though. Martial should be nowhere near the starting XI, yet he keeps getting picked so he deserves getting roasted

I dont really know which worse though. A player who revards continued faith and support with yet anothet gutless, lazy performance, or the manager who keeps picking him

Amir

We’re a couple of key players away from being there.
I kept hearing that... From Liverpool fans in the nineties. They always thought that. At that time Paul Ince was considered 'The final piece in the jigsaw'. But they were lacking more than that just like we are.

It looks like City are again raising the bar very high - 95-100 points a season high. So that's the target. It takes something special to be that good. Liverpool were able to, for two seasons. I don't see that special thing in us with this level of coaching.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
How about hiring a manager based on 8 games?
What's done is done now. We can't change that.

Club put themselves in that position by what they did with Jose. They employed him knowing exactly what he was like when he didn't get all his own way and then decided to overrule him anyway. That's why we then turned to Ole mid season.

Ole isn't the issue at this club. The owners and Woodward are because this situation was no better before Ole took over

AshRK

Ole has taken us from 5th (half season) then 3rd and now 2nd and we don't have the best or even 2nd best team in the league do we?

Also if we sack him....what's the plan? Do we sack him now or in May? Who do we replace him with?

Fans are getting fed up with us not winning titles. Do you know who is responsible for us not winning league titles more than Ole? The owners and the board. Ole only been here 2 years. We were crap before he came in.
That's my issue as well. What's the succession plan? Just saying allegri or rodgers would do a great job doesn't make any sense. Allegri is a great coach but 6 months in his tenure and fans will be bored of his defensive football. Heck Jose's United looked better on ball for duration on ball. I am tired of another defensive manager.

Rodgers again I like what he is doing at Leicester but a big no for me. Do people seriously believe he can topple klopp or pep. I don't think so.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Yes. I would fire him this evening. I would fired him long time ago in fact. Because he is not good enough. How is that hard to understand? The same how you have bad, average, good and world class players exactly the same goes for managers. Especially you from all people should understand what i want to say because you have no problem saying how some of our players are not good enough.
Some posters who want Ole to stay don't criticize players so i understand their sentiment towards any member of our club. They are just football romantics. But you criticize Glazers, Ed and players but then you can't understand how someone wants Ole out.
So would you say Ole is under performing then with what he has? You think this squad should be first place? Is that what you're saying?

BlueHaze

Oh ffs. Car crash reactionary post.

To answer your question;
Pogba
Fred
McTominay
Greenwood
Martial (until this season where he’s pure lazy)
Rashford
Shaw
VDB has been given chances and hasn’t taken any of them, that’s on him.

There’s probably more but I won’t waste my breath, not to mention the quality of the team itself is testament to the rebuild he’s still completing.
Pogba - The same guy 80% of fanbase wanted gone 3 months ago?
Fred - This guy is absolute rubbish and should be sold.
McTominay - He had some solid moments under Jose too, but I'll give you this one.
Greenwood - Been pretty much MIA this entire season.
Martial - He's an absolute disaster this season.
Rashford - Looked like he was progressing been extremely hot and cold this year.
Shaw - Has he actually improved? He's just getting injured less and thats it.

We can even hypotheticaly say you are right, that he has vastly improved all the mentioned players. We would still be dead stuck in mid table without Bruno. We have become severely dependent on him which further proves my point that the managerial and tactical skills of Ole are piss poor. Lost to Sheffield at home struggled against WBA and people honestly still think he's doing a good job.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So all of you who defend him, think that next year with 2 or 3 players we will play better football and maybe challenge for something? After 2,5 years our main and only plan is counter attack and our defence is leaking but it will all change with 2 or 3 new players and Ole will become tactical expert in next 6,7 months?

Amir

The best, no. The second best? It's debatable. With Liverpool being as bad as they have been, I don't see why we shouldn't be considered second. We have plenty of class.

I'd look to do it at the end of the season. As for his replacement, clearly the most obvious candidate is no longer an option. I don't have a clear answer and wouldn't replace him for the sake of doing that, but I'd expect a multi-million dollar business based on football performances and result to be able to identify good options*.

* Not that United would be able to do that because the club is clueless when it comes to football.

Oh, of course the owners are the people with the largest responsibility, as they make the decisions and appoint the people who appoint the managers, sign off on trasnfer deals, etc.

I'd happily replace the owners, the CEO and the board. But it's not happening. Doesn't mean we should just stop stiriving to improve. I don't think we're an impossible club for a top class manager in succeed in. We just haven't had someone close to that since 2013. So I'd happily try someone else because I think Solskjaer has a ceiling.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
That's my issue as well. What's the succession plan? Just saying allegri or rodgers would do a great job doesn't make any sense. Allegri is a great coach but 6 months in his tenure and fans will be bored of his defensive football. Heck Jose's United looked better on ball for duration on ball. I am tired of another defensive manager.

Rodgers again I like what he is doing at Leicester but a big no for me. Do people seriously believe he can topple klopp or pep. I don't think so.
Rodgers would have same issues everyone else has had. He'd ask for player A n B and they'd sign player C.

We signed Cavani on deadline day despite him having no club. We also signed Donny and Ole hardly plays him.

This isn't a club that's singing from the same hymn sheet at all.

Roboc7

With or without Ole there’s not much of a plan, it’s valid to argue either way. We could crash and burn if we sack him or could get better.

It’s a good point about the board, but that’s not changing, to win the league we need an exceptional manager who can win inspite of them, for me it doesn’t matter how long he’s here that’s never going to be Ole.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Amazing that Chelsea went and got a good manager and could be 4 points behind us if they beat Newcastle.
New manager bounce.

Load of crap
What hearing the truth hurts?

This forum loves to hate itself, plenty of other posters have said similar in this very thread. This thread gets loads of hits and new pages when we lose. When we win, no one gives a F**K but when we lose it's used as an excuse to bash Ole with. Getting boring now.

mattsville

Ole is being very patient with it, a lot of obvious wasters moved on, lots of progress with the team and behind the scenes, however I think a lot of people were thinking coming into this season we are shy a RW, potentially a CM if Pogba moves and a dominant fast CB, but we are now in the business part of the season and it is clear there are other issues, DDG is now not the GK he was a few years ago and is costing us points, the hope of Martial and Rashford kicking on is not happening, they are involved in the 1st team 5 years now, just not happening so that needs to be addressed imo more urgently than any other position as it is costing us a lot of points, more than in any area of the pitch, I have confidence Ole will fix it by whatever means necessary but because they have not produced like he and we all hoped it is now going to take longer to get where we want to be.

Roboc7

Tbf, this thread has relatively little traffic when we win. Maybe a couple of posts of "got the selection spot on." and thats about it. Where as when we lose/draw its 5+ new pages

Imo he fecked up today though. Martial should be nowhere near the starting XI, yet he keeps getting picked so he deserves getting roasted

I dont really know which worse though. A player who revards continued faith and support with yet anothet gutless, lazy performance, or the manager who keeps picking him
He seems to be just hoping Marital will turn it round, that’s Ole though it’s same with his game management and subs, seems to resolve around changing as little as possible and letting it work itself out.
Looks good when we’re in a roll but when we hit these dips it just seems too passive.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
So all of you who defend him, think that next year with 2 or 3 players we will play better football and maybe challenge for something? After 2,5 years our main and only plan is counter attack and our defence is leaking but it will all change with 2 or 3 new players and Ole will become tactical expert in next 6,7 months?
A lot of that is him down to not trusting the CB's though surely.

We play Fred n Mctomminay to mask the issues we have in defence. If we had a solid defence we could afford to play with only one of them.

If Ole gets us top 4 he won't be getting the sack so you may as well do something else with your time.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Amazing that Chelsea went and got a good manager and could be 4 points behind us if they beat Newcastle.
Not particularly. Most expected them to finish above us when the transfer window closed but Lampard had them significantly underperforming.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So would you say Ole is under performing then with what he has? You think this squad should be first place? Is that what you're saying?
No. I am saying that after 2,5 years in charge and 300 mil spent on already good squad, this team should be playing much better than it is playing. Not to mention all his mistakes during and before games. He is just not good enough for this club. Just like Moyes. Quality wise of course.
It is like having Ighalo in attack. You know he is solid attacker and that he will score then and there but you know that you can't win something with him as your leading striker

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
A lot of that is him down to not trusting the CB's though surely.

We play Fred n Mctomminay to mask the issues we have in defence. If we had a solid defence we could afford to play with only one of them.

If Ole gets us top 4 he won't be getting the sack so you may as well do something else with your time.
He is staying despite 4th spot. I know that.

Godfather

Nobody can seriously watch us in these games and really enjoy that football? We've struggled the whole season, often saved by moments of individual class. Mostly from Bruno. But our football and lack of progress against deep sitting sides is a huge concern.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Not particularly. Most expected them to finish above us when the transfer window closed but Lampard had them significantly underperforming.
I don't think Chelsea's team is better than United's.

DomesticTadpole

Nobody can seriously watch us in these games and really enjoy that football? We've struggled the whole season, often saved by moments of individual class. Mostly from Bruno. But our football and lack of progress against deep sitting sides is a huge concern.
For all the adoration Bruno gets and probably enjoys, you wonder if he is going to get fed up being just about the only one contributing consistently with goals in this team.

DomesticTadpole

Yet if they win tomorrow they will be four behind and we play them soon, all because they changed their manager. Funny how he has gone back to the old heads. Frank wanted to blood young players and build a young side. Roman does not have that sort of patience.

Since getting battered by Spurs early on it's been clear that Ole doesn't trust this team to be more open and expansive - because like that fans, Ole knows the defence is not good enough.

I feel like we've had a few stinkers but overall there's always goals and the games are more entertaining than under the previous 3 managers... but that is a low bar.

Must remember we had plenty of drap games under Fergie, but the difference being we'd tend to edge the result and move on.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Funny thing is, no one expected us to be challenging for the title this time last year.

We get a sniff of top of the league and then we have a couple disappointing results & we're back to Ole bashing. :lol:

It's almost as if you believed your own hype, that you said that you didn't want to do and then you're getting disappointed for over-achieving. Something you said originally you weren't going to do, because 'we aren't ready yet' (because we aren't)

Most of this forum was happy with a top 3 finish last season going into this one.

NOW You're all unhappy because we're not winning the league (or at least it looks that way)

Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious, this forum never ceases to amaze me. Never happy and never satisfied.

Leftback99

But you still expected a 'scrap for top 4 at best':
It'll be a scrap for top 4 again. Best case.

After past season I expected us to strengthen and push on and comfortably secure top 4. But very unlikely. Chelsea will be there, Spurs won't be as bad as last season and Arsenal are much better.

Bubz27

Yet if they win tomorrow they will be four behind and we play them soon, all because they changed their manager. Funny how he has gone back to the old heads. Frank wanted to blood young players and build a young side. Roman does not have that sort of patience.
Yeah I know mate, I was replying to a reply to my comment saying the exact same thing

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Neither does the majority of this forum!

You all want to build a great club and want to avoid a galactico type scenario and a merry go round of managers. But them clamour for the very thing you don't want when you see others seemingly doing well.

Tuchel has managed what 2 maybe 3 PL games? Hasn't exactly lit up the world in either of the matches either and now he's a great messiah because he's 4 points off of United if the get past Newcastle.

Behave.

BlueHaze

Funny thing is, no one expected us to be challenging for the title this time last year.

We get a sniff of top of the league and then we have a couple disappointing results & we're back to Ole bashing. :lol:

It's almost as if you believed your own hype, that you said that you didn't want to do and then you're getting disappointed for over-achieving. Something you said originally you weren't going to do, because 'we aren't ready yet' (because we aren't)

Most of this forum was happy with a top 3 finish last season going into this one.

NOW You're all unhappy because we're not winning the league (or at least it looks that way)

Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious, this forum never ceases to amaze me. Never happy and never satisfied.
Unhappy because we are not winning the league? How about unhappy getting beat against Sheffield at home? :lol:

Bubz27

But you still expected a 'scrap for top 4 at best':
Ooo exciting. I've never had someone go so far back to quote me before.

Yes I did expect that for us.

Did I ever say I expect more than that for Chelsea? Because only then can you show me to be a hypocrite now.

Edit: it's actually in that quote. I said Chelsea will be there. As in there with us, implying we're at a similar level. Or in other words, not really better than us.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
With or without Ole there’s not much of a plan, it’s valid to argue either way. We could crash and burn if we sack him or could get better.

It’s a good point about the board, but that’s not changing, to win the league we need an exceptional manager who can win inspite of them, for me it doesn’t matter how long he’s here that’s never going to be Ole.
If you can get Pep to cross the City I'm all for it.

Can't think of a single manager in the world who makes us title winners under Woodward n Glazers. The only two who realistically could manage our two biggest rivals and are off limits to us.

Who else comes in and wins the league? We tried Moyes, LVG m Jose and they didn't get close either. And LVG Jose had pedigree.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Unhappy because we are not winning the league? How about unhappy getting beat against Sheffield at home? :lol:
Freak games happen.

People are upset because we're dropping points and as a result not closing the gap on city.

If you'd had told us the league position we're in now, you'd have bitten their hands off!

We're 2nd! 2nd!

What's so wrong with 2nd?!!!

Leftback99

Ooo exciting. I've never had someone go so far back to quote me before.

Yes I did expect that for us.

Did I ever say I expect more than that for Chelsea? Because only then can you show me to be a hypocrite now.
That season expectations thread is always a good read.
Well if just a scrap for 4th is the best we could hope for who else did you have ahead of us?

Status
Not open for further replies.