Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie Boy

No. Our position is precarious now with Chelsea away next up and just 4 points ahead of them.

We play Chelsea, City, Leciester & Spurs away plus City & Leicester at home in the remaining 14 games; so if we quickly sort out our issues in the big games we’ll be fine, otherwise that could seriously bite us in the arse.
Sheesh some tough ones there.

Withnail

I hope you are right regarding top4. However, I do see us dropping points against Chelsea and losing to City.
Chelsea are a concern if we drop more points but I can't see us finishing below both Leicester and Chelsea let alone dropping to 5th. There'd have to be a complete collapse for us to finish outside the top 4 and if that's on the cards we better have a replacement lined up.

Leicester also have to play Chelsea, City, ourselves, Tottenham in the remaining games and the Villa game is by no means a gimme.

Water Melon

Chelsea are a concern if we drop more points but I can't see us finishing below both Leicester and Chelsea let alone dropping to 5th. There'd have to be a complete collapse for us to finish outside the top 4 and if that's on the cards we better have a replacement lined up.

Leicester also have to play Chelsea, City, ourselves, Tottenham in the remaining games and the Villa game is by no means a gimme.
Do you think Pool will finish outside the top 4?

Foxbatt

Ole needs to go for it in these games. They need the points more than us. So don't sit back like we did against Arsenal or Chelsea. I am not saying we should open and attack all the way but we shouldn't sit back either.

Withnail

Do you think Pool will finish outside the top 4?
It's a distinct possibility. They'll have Kabak and Henderson at the back today so I think they will drop more points.

As I said I don't see us finishing below both Leicester and Chelsea.

To come 5th we'd have to finish below Leicester, Chelsea and another team, possibly Liverpool.

How pessimistic are you about the rest of the season? Are you expecting a catastrophic injury crisis or a major collapse in form?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

We've never been comfortable in the top 4 to call it a 'collapse'. If I had to guess now I think we'll be in a battle with Leicester again. Chelsea look strong and Liverpool will get their act together. The '6 pointers' will be crucial.

Mainoldo

More effective = better.

Touch, skill, vision, physique? Not worth as much as goals and assists if winning is the aim. Which it is.
How many times has the top goal scorer in the league finished off with the Prem title?

I actually have no idea. But I assume if your maths is right. It should be quit frequent!

Withnail

We've never been comfortable in the top 4 to call it a 'collapse'. If I had to guess now I think we'll be in a battle with Leicester again. Chelsea look strong and Liverpool will get their act together. The '6 pointers' will be crucial.
To be honest all of the games are crucial and the players should be treating each one as do or die. No point beating Chelsea and then losing to Palace.

I don't think Liverpool are suddenly going to turn into the Liverpool of the last two years. If they win today I'll take them seriously for run in.

But to go back to us based on our league form for over a year and the fact that we are 12 pts ahead of where we were last season, I think finishing outside the top 4 would constitute a collapse in form.

Water Melon

It's a distinct possibility. They'll have Kabak and Henderson at the back today so I think they will drop more points.

As I said I don't see us finishing below both Leicester and Chelsea.

To come 5th we'd have to finish below Leicester, Chelsea and another team, possibly Liverpool.

How pessimistic are you about the rest of the season? Are you expecting a catastrophic injury crisis or a major collapse in form?
I am expecting a loss against City, a draw against Chelsea and Leicester. My main worry is proper park the bus teams though. We are finding it difficult to crack them this season. An injury to Bruno and we are in deep water.

Withnail

I am expecting a loss against City, a draw against Chelsea and Leicester. My main worry is proper park the bus teams though. We are finding it difficult to crack them this season. An injury to Bruno and we are in deep water.
Have we really struggled this season or have we had a couple of tough games lately where we didn't play well enough? We've also had a bit of bad luck too.

Obviously an injury to Bruno would be a very bad thing, especially while Pogba is out who we've missed lately against these park the bus teams.

Chelsea just dropped pts against Southampton. A good win tomorrow and everything will look a lot better.

mu4c_20le

Brilliant game management once again from Ole. Starting an in form James and great subs as well.

Foxbatt

He had to win this game and we did win but in general it was a poor performance against a lowly Newcastle.

FatherWolff

He had to win this game and we did win but in general it was a poor performance against a lowly Newcastle.
Agree. But what did it show? Poor management or the same players showing their ability. Or lack of football intelligence, as Keane said it. I know which way I’m going... 3 points and we go again. Good night fellas!

el3mel

Meh. IMO a terrible tactical game from him. We can't deal with teams pressing us high at all. Newcastle were far better than us up till our second goal, after that they collapsed physically and we comfortably saw it through. Ole did nothing to solve this problem tonight.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He'll need to push Woodward to give him right players, otherwise the sack will become not far perspective, next season.

Foxbatt

Agree. But what did it show? Poor management or the same players showing their ability. Or lack of football intelligence, as Keane said it. I know which way I’m going... 3 points and we go again. Good night fellas!
Certainly good management in some areas like how he is dealing with James for sure. But tactically I feel we were poor in the first half.

Godfather

Meh. IMO a terrible tactical game from him. We can't deal with teams pressing us high at all. Newcastle were far better than us up till our second goal, after that they collapsed physically and we comfortably saw it through. Ole did nothing to solve this problem tonight.
This

FatherWolff

Certainly good management in some areas like how he is dealing with James for sure. But tactically I feel we were poor in the first half.
I recon we both watch games twice. I will look into it, but my feeling was terrible passing and poor choices from the players.

Kag

He’s going to get bitten on the arse with De Gea and Lindelof remaining in the first team. It just doesn’t work.

Van Gaal’s refusal to effectively deal with Rooney played a major role in his downfall and I’d be gutted if not finishing off De Gea led to the same ruin. Too much good work has been done so far to spoil it by playing a muppet in goal. Make the change, Ole.

He needs Pogba back urgently.

BFernandes

Where has this "individual brilliance" phrase come from over the last couple of years?

What does it even mean? I've never known it to be thrown around as much as my life and I'm sick of it. I'm not Oles biggest fan, but it's just being used as a stick to beat him with.

Were our second and third goals the result of some wonderful "individual brilliance"?

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He’s going to get bitten on the arse with De Gea and Lindelof remaining in the first team. It just doesn’t work.

Van Gaal’s refusal to effectively deal with Rooney played a major role in his downfall and I’d be gutted if not finishing off De Gea led to the same ruin. Too much good work has been done so far to spoil it by playing a muppet in goal. Make the change, Ole.

He needs Pogba back urgently.
Today he was fecked by his 80mil signing, not Lindelof.

Skåre Willoch

Well, after the game in Turin, the general narrative was that Sociedad were naive because they pressed us high up the pitch, playing into our hands. :rolleyes:

3-1 on a sub par day. A confident Dan James deserved a start, and did well. Rashford brilliant at times. Matic good, nice move by Ole to play him in this kind of game. Good subs as well. Shoretire!

Defensively we were shambles at times in the first half, and that simply has to stop. Ole has to take some blame for the lack of defensive improvement.
It’s also time to drop Martial indefinitely. If he keeps starting games after stinking up the pitch for 70 minutes week in week out, it’s not longer Martials fault, as he shouldn’t even be in the pitch in the first place. Ole is either stubborn, or sees something nobody else does.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Needs to let the Lindelof-Maguire partnership go now, it doesn't work. We always seem to play a deeper line when they start together.

Play Lindelof and Bailly on Thursday and Maguire-Bailly going forward until Bailly gets injured.

spiriticon

That starting lineup today gave me nightmares. I'm glad we avoided another Sheffield United situation.

Kag

Today he was fecked by his 80mil signing, not Lindelof.
Maguire’s header was a tough one. I know he’s not flavour of the month but the reality is that he couldn’t let it go and he had to get rid. You’d expect two things to happen before and/or after it, really:

a) De Gea acts like an adult man and catches the ball on his six yard line
b) A United player clears Maguire’s header

It was a poor goal all round but the problem is De Gea and it will be a great day when he’s out of this first team.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't rate Maguire, but what did Lindelof do today? Barely anything of note.
He did everything right. Dealing with crosses, reading the game, passing....and imagine Harry in that head to head sprint with Joelington i think?
On the other hand Harry gifted them a goal. But yeah, Lindelof is a problem.

Matriac

Needs to let the Lindelof-Maguire partnership go now, it doesn't work. We always seem to play a deeper line when they start together.

Play Lindelof and Bailly on Thursday and Maguire-Bailly going forward until Bailly gets injured.
So for 2 games then.

el3mel

Well, after the game in Turin, the general narrative was that Sociedad were naive because they pressed us high up the pitch, playing into our hands. :rolleyes:

3-1 on a sub par day. A confident Dan James deserved a start, and did well. Rashford brilliant at times. Matic good, nice move by Ole to play him in this kind of game. Good subs as well. Shoretire!

Defensively we were shambles at times in the first half, and that simply has to stop. Ole has to take some blame for the lack of defensive improvement.
It’s also time to drop Martial indefinitely. If he keeps starting games after stinking up the pitch for 70 minutes week in week out, it’s not longer Martials fault, as he shouldn’t even be in the pitch in the first place. Ole is either stubborn, or sees something nobody else does.
We struggle massively to deal with high pressure. Maguire, Lindelof and De Gea make ton of mistakes when this happens because they're mostly slow to react. Newcastle pressed high but didn't leave any space for us tonight for counters. Being naive is leaving space for us. This didn't happen.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Where has this "individual brilliance" phrase come from over the last couple of years?

What does it even mean? I've never known it to be thrown around as much as my life and I'm sick of it. I'm not Oles biggest fan, but it's just being used as a stick to beat him with.

Were our second and third goals the result of some wonderful "individual brilliance"?
Its stupid

90 + 5min

This is something made up by Solskjaer-outers. Because there is less and less to critic they have moved goalposts.

If we win it is because of players.
If we lose it is because of Solskjaer and the staff.

There is nothing in between.

And when you ask them if this is case with other teams that "rely" on big players, the answer is no.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He did everything right. Dealing with crosses, reading the game, passing....and imagine Harry in that head to head sprint with Joelington i think?
On the other hand Harry gifted them a goal. But yeah, Lindelof is a problem.
Maguire is a better defender, that's pretty clear. Ideally, I would have neither of them here, but no chance of that. As for Lindelof, I saw a post in his thread with the stats from today -

0 Duels attempted
0 Aerials duels attempted
0 tackles attempted
0 interceptions
3 clearances
3 recoveries

For Maguire

12 duels attempted
6/6 aerial duels won
2 tackles attempted
1 interception
3 clearances
11 recoveries

always_hoping

Yes tiresome phrase that some like to use as they can't come up with anything original.

OleBoiii

We've scored 2.12 goals per game so far this season. If we can keep it up for the remaining 13 games, then we'll break 80 goals. That is pretty impressive considering our attackers. It's not like Ole has the likes of Ronaldo, Rooney, RVN, Cole or RVP.

He deserves more credit.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Yes tiresome phrase that some like to use as they can't come up with anything original.
It means the team is playing in moments, or basically relying on players like Rashford to produce something off-the-cuff like he did tonight, as opposed to rehearsed ways of creating chances as a team. It’s definitely true, but it seems to work - individual brilliance is called brilliance for reason. The only issue is when they can’t come up with anything you tend to look a bit toothless.

lex talionis

Ole took a massive amount of insane abuse on the match day thread today, until of course we went up 2-1.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

It's basically the last resort when desperate to find something to criticise. I'm sure they were saying the same when we had Ronaldo and the like.

It also has no opposite to it in relation to the manager. If a player makes a terrible error that costs us a goal then it's definitely Ole's fault rather than the result of 'individual incompetence'.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
With knockout games in front it is last moment for him to deal with slow starts if we want to win EL or FA cup.

always_hoping

It means the team is playing in moments, or basically relying on players like Rashford to produce something off-the-cuff like he did tonight, as opposed to rehearsed ways of creating chances as a team. It’s definitely true, but it seems to work - individual brilliance is called brilliance for reason. The only issue is when they can’t come up with anything you tend to look a bit toothless.
It's a tiresome phrase especially as these type of "moments" are worked on during training.

PSG for example probably would have drawn with Barcelona but for the individual brilliance of Mbappe..

Status
Not open for further replies.