Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboc7

Not a bad result in isolation despite a pretty poor performance, but have to beat Palace now.

Ole still doing ok, he’s not really building towards anything and it’s a bit like Jose but with better PR and less trophies.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The difference being this is not a critique for this game only, it's being all season. We've played for the draw against every team from the top 6 since the Spurs spank.

I genuinely think Ole is scared that we might lose the same way we did against Spurs so he rather go out and settle for the 0-0.
In all those games it would have had similar comments from opposition fans apart from Arsenal who got a lucky penalty.

None have been attack vs defence type games.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
The issue is that people aren't looking at the result in isolation Bob.

In isolation it's a very decent point.
But i think they are. Every single time we drop points people moan about the manager. People even moan when we play shit and win. Its heat of the moment knee jerk stuff

If you really look at the big picture i think everyone would have to agree we are in a better state right now then we were December 2018. Of course things could be better, but we should all know there are no such things as sure bets when it comes to manager appointments

SAFMUTD

In all those games it would have had similar comments from opposition fans apart from Arsenal who got a lucky penalty.

None have been attack vs defence type games.
I agree, its been games were we've nullify opposition, with almost no chances for us nor the opposition.

But its not as if every team from the top 6 plays that way, the main denominator is us.

Is not a thing about us being totally spanked, its a thing about us being cowards when facing those teams and settling happily for the draw.

I mentioned in the game thread earlier, when Greenwood was subbed, he left the pitch walking. No urgency to change the 0-0 result, thats because the squad thought it was a good result, and that comes from the manager.

dove

Not the worst point but this was just another example why we won't win anything with Ole. We are quite literally toothless against good sides and you eventually have to play good sides in the cups. What is our record against "big 6"? 0-5-2 with 1 goal scored and even that from pen? Appalling. I didn't even bother watching the 2nd half as it had yet another 0-0 written all over it.

Foxbatt

The difference being this is not a critique for this game only, it's being all season. We've played for the draw against every team from the top 6 since the Spurs spank.

I genuinely think Ole is scared that we might lose the same way we did against Spurs so he rather go out and settle for the 0-0.
I don't think he was settling for a 0-0 draw. I think he wanted to hit them on the counter. But let's be honest. None of our midfield players bar Bruno and certainly non of our forwards are good enough.
They say the United of old could outpass. Yes they could. But we don't have a Scholes, Rooney, Rio, Berbatov or even a Carrick or later RVP. Non of this lot would get into that United side. Not even Rashford. Maybe Bruno but I don't think he is good as Rooney at his best under SAF.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
People taking the result in isolation are imo having a bit of a strawman.
You would take results like these if we play well against the smaller sides.
As much as 70% of our performances are usually below par. I am not going to get into a debate about who is responsible for that but that's the point of the discontent.

SAFMUTD

I don't think he was settling for a 0-0 draw. I think he wanted to hit them on the counter. But let's be honest. None of our midfield players bar Bruno and certainly non of our forwards are good enough.
They say the United of old could outpass. Yes they could. But we don't have a Scholes, Rooney, Rio, Berbatov or even a Carrick or later RVP. Non of this lot would get into that United side. Not even Rashford. Maybe Bruno but I don't think he is good as Rooney at his best under SAF.
Again, this is not a one game criticism. Do you believe we don't have the quality to score from open play against any top 6 club?

A single 0-0 at Stamford Bridge is not a reason for concern, its actually an ok result. But if its a 0-0 thats follows 5 non scoring games then its a concern.

I do think we wanted to hit them on the counter, thats how Ole sets us every God damn time. Its clearly not working.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
People taking the result in isolation are imo having a bit of a strawman.
You would take results like these if we play well against the smaller sides.
As much as 70% of our performances are usually below par. I am not going to get into a debate about who is responsible for that but that's the point of the discontent.
Think that is what's bugging people. Yes it is a good point, but yet again it is another opportunity missed. We really should be right behind City and bad results in easier games than this have cost us.

Dr. StrangeHate

I don't know, just trying to make sense of it. They can't score against us. Why don't they go all out for the win if its so easy against our useless manager?

Perhaps they don't want to leave space where our strength lies?
When Leipzig and PSG really needed to they did and threw us out into a 2nd tier competition. When City needed to in the Mickey Mouse cup, they did as well. Also he is a decent manager but just very cautious and opposite of Fergie who used to take a lot of risks.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I'm not sure what's happened to us against the so called big six. Our record last season was good but this year it's been awful and our football is way too cautious. We concede too much possesion for my liking, we're way too sloppy with the ball and lose every battle in midfield. We might as well not play Bruno or Rashford in these games because we never seem get them involved.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I'm not sure what's happened to us against the so called big six. Our record last season was good but this year it's been awful and our football is way too cautious. We concede too much possesion for my liking, we're way too sloppy with the ball and lose every battle in midfield. We might as well not play Bruno or Rashford in these games because we never seem get them involved.
I think it goes both ways, opposition managers got burnt by how quick we were in transition last season and now refuse to commit players forward. Its no coincidence that Pep, Klopp, Lampard and now Tuchel have all done it now. There's not been a big game where you can go say we parked the bus. The other team was simply content with a draw as well.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
When Leipzig and PSG really needed to they did and threw us out into a 2nd tier competition. When City needed to in the Mickey Mouse cup, they did as well. Also he is a decent manager but just very cautious and opposite of Fergie who used to take a lot of risks.
Two of the best teams in Europe beat us, shock. We also had chances in the PSG and Leipzig games ourselves from what I remember.

always_hoping

Solskjaer v Tuchel

5 Games
2 wins each and today's draw
7 goals for Tuchel teams
6 goals for Ole team

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think it goes both ways, opposition managers got burnt by how quick we were in transition last season and now refuse to commit players forward. Its no coincidence that Pep, Klopp, Lampard and now Tuchel have all done it now. There's not been a big game where you can go say we parked the bus. The other team was simply content with a draw as well.
Exactly. No team will play a gung ho style of football against a big team. What that means is, out of respect we'll always play 2 sitting midfielders alongside the 4 defenders, with the FBs being cautious going forward.

People forget that in attacking transitions and on counters, we're as good a side as any in Europe, so teams will always be cautious of that and will never commit 7 men forward. Hell, look at how City played against us - Walker barely entered our half. It'd be an interesting analysis to see average positions of City's, Pool's and Chelsea's defenders when playing against us and their average position

UDontMessWith24

Exactly. No team will play a gung ho style of football against a big team. What that means is, out of respect we'll always play 2 sitting midfielders alongside the 4 defenders, with the FBs being cautious going forward.

People forget that in attacking transitions and on counters, we're as good a side as any in Europe, so teams will always be cautious of that and will never commit 7 men forward. Hell, look at how City played against us - Walker barely entered our half. It'd be an interesting analysis to see average positions of City's, Pool's and Chelsea's defenders when playing against us and their average position
Yeah nobody’s sat back when playing Liverpool and City over the past couple of seasons :lol:

UDontMessWith24

I wouldn't have a single player from Leipzig even on our bench, their players are West Ham quality.
Just another carefully crafted spin, just like “Chelsea just beat one of the best teams in Europe” and of course the fact that AM played like complete dog crap on a neutral ground. The Ole cheer squad is allergic to context.

Halftrack

Just another carefully crafted spin, just like “Chelsea just beat one of the best teams in Europe” and of course the fact that AM played like complete dog crap on a neutral ground. The Ole cheer squad is allergic to context.
How dare people support a manager who's doing well?

united for life

Thanks to Ole, we again believe drawing against Chelsea away from home is a bad result. He’s instilled this mentality again in the players and fans. This is the way it should be. We’ve missed that over the last 8 years. We still need some signings and some players still need to improve to win the title, but the fact that we are upset about not winning the league shows the progress we’ve had with Ole. We were only able to talk about finishing in the top 4 over the last 8 years. We still have work to do to win trophies, but we’re progressing well and are on track. Ole just doesn’t get the credit he deserves.

But i think they are. Every single time we drop points people moan about the manager. People even moan when we play shit and win. Its heat of the moment knee jerk stuff

If you really look at the big picture i think everyone would have to agree we are in a better state right now then we were December 2018. Of course things could be better, but we should all know there are no such things as sure bets when it comes to manager appointments
Gotta agree to disagree there. If we’d beaten another top side this year or beaten Sheff United at home and WBA away, today would be looked upon much more kindly.

As I say, in isolation it’s a very decent result.

UDontMessWith24

How dare people support a manager who's doing well?
Dropped points in 5 out 7 league games since going top because once again, a spurt of good form was short lived, and it’s been that cycle since day one. He was doing well for a bit, and now he’s not doing well. Overall “doing well” is the best you’ll get out of him. Enjoy!

UDontMessWith24

Thanks to Ole, we again believe drawing against Chelsea away from home is a bad result. He’s instilled this mentality again in the players and fans. This is the way it should be. We’ve missed that over the last 8 years. We still need some signings and some players still need to improve to win the title, but the fact that we are upset about not winning the league shows the progress we’ve had with Ole. We were only able to talk about finishing in the top 4 over the last 8 years. We still have work to do to win trophies, but we’re progressing well and are on track. Ole just doesn’t get the credit he deserves.
We’re upset about going top of the league and surrendering it with a whimper dropping points in 5 of the next 7. That’s your precious mentality.

united for life

We’re upset about going top of the league and surrendering it with a whimper dropping points in 5 of the next 7. That’s your precious mentality.
not sure what you mean by this. But anyway...

yes, we shouldn’t have dropped this many points, but injuries didn’t help much also. The point that you probably missed is that we actually reached top and improved significantly from last year because of ole and what he is doing with the players. I read somewhere that we are now 12 points better than where we were last year at the same time. that’s progress.

I’m not sure what your expectations were at the beginning of the season, but I, along with a lot of fans, didn’t think we will be in this position especially after the shaky start. Enough with the negativity

Roboc7

We’re still only able to talk about the top four and it’s no different to any other time since SAF left. We’ve got 5 points out of 21 and scored once against the big six, that’s disappointing whoever is manager.

2017/18 we finished 19 points behind City in second place, gap is likely to be similar and best we can finish is 2nd. Ole is likely to have spent 2 and a half years taking us back to where we were less 6 months before he took over.

dpansheth

We’re still only able to talk about the top four and it’s no different to any other time since SAF left. We’ve got 5 points out of 21 and scored once against the big six, that’s disappointing whoever is manager.

2017/18 we finished 19 points behind City in second place, gap is likely to be similar and best we can finish is 2nd. Ole is likely to have spent 2 and a half years taking us back to where we were less 6 months before he took over.
And not just in terms of end results or positions, after some recruitments, play has generally not improved, expectations lowered and we fancy no more than one goal against big 4 rivals. No point in the game today ( I might in minority ) I thought we would score more than 1 goal from open play against Chelsea who are no Atlético Madrid in defense. To me, he's not sacked yet because of three reasons: Woodward is inept, we are not out of top 4 ( speaks volume about our board's ambitions ), and he's a legend. Nothing else has improved. Football was dire during Moyes, Van Gaal & Mourinho and its still is. Nothing has changed.

Womp

idiot
I feel you really are missing the point if you think people are only disappointed because of the results.

It's quite often the performances that go alongside our results that is making people lose hope. Results wise we've done okay, the question is whether you can genuinely see him being able to progress us further from this point.

He'sRaldo

You have this the other way round. Ole's been lowering the standards so much that some of us think every little thing is progress.

I remember a few seasons ago when we came 2nd, Mourinho was rightfully lambasted for parking the bus at Anfield. Expectations were no different back then, we have always expected to go at teams and try and take the game to them as opposed to playing reactive football. The only difference between then and now is the "rebuild" rhetoric.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
You have this the other way round. Ole's been lowering the standards so much that some of us think every little thing is progress.

I remember a few seasons ago when we came 2nd, Mourinho was rightfully lambasted for parking the bus at Anfield. Expectations were no different back then, we have always expected to go at teams and try and take the game to them as opposed to playing reactive football. The only difference between then and now is the "rebuild" rhetoric.
But we didn’t park the bus today?

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

After spending 300m, and haven't won a single trophy either. Now that's progress!

AshRK

Maybe this time we kick on from that 2nd position which we didn't in 18-19 season. I don't think finishing 2nd will be something to celebrate but hands on heart many would have taken us finishing 2nd with 75 points at the start of the season. No one expected us to win or to be fair even challenge for it but we have made decent progress again. Now whether we kick it or not only time will tell.

spiriticon

We definitely didn't park the bus today. We tried but just didn't have enough attacking quality to win the match.

united for life

T

Not true. We didn’t park the bus today, that’s a difference. Players like shaw have built confidence again due to ole’s man management, that’s another difference. The football in general is better as well - we do have ups and downs, but this needs time and signings (squad depth) to be fixed.

i don’t agree that expectations and standards are lower. We still want to win everything. But being realistic and knowing where we’re at and our squad’s capabilities and potential is very important. The rebuild is not a myth. The team was in a terrible shape when Ole took over.

He'sRaldo

But we didn’t park the bus today?
Today especially the first half was decent with the high pressure and high line. But we've parked the bus consistently in big games since he came, and the poster I replied to was talking about general expectations under Ole as opposed to this particular match.

Ole generally has resulted in lowered expectations, not the opposite

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Maybe this time we kick on from that 2nd position which we didn't in 18-19 season. I don't think finishing 2nd will be something to celebrate but hands on heart many would have taken us finishing 2nd with 75 points at the start of the season. No one expected us to win or to be fair even challenge for it but we have made decent progress again. Now whether we kick it or not only time will tell.
Liverpool had freak injuries and Chelsea had a rubbish manager, next year Chelsea will spend big now with a proper manager and Liverpool will not play a whole season without defenders again. No way we will make second next season with Ole.

Mainoldo

So what is kicking on? Just want it in redcafe writing so I can comeback to you next season when other clubs kick on ahead of us being as Chelsea now have an actual manager and Liverpool will have fit players.

Dominos

We are 12 points better off after 26 games than last season. Let’s not forget how much money Chelsea spent in the summer, £222million and if I’m not wrong we spent £82 million, if memory serves me right then it be was a point between us last season.
We're on course for 73 points at our current PPG, up from 66 last season. We also got dumped out the champions league at the group stage.

This nothing more than a medicore season so far, let's not get things twisted. It's the sort of bare minimum improvement we expected at the start of the season. 73 points will get you top 4 but it's not getting anywhere near a title, and our current position is even flattering relative to actual performances given we're overperforming our xPTS by some margin.

This team is not even as good as Mourinho's 2nd place team that got significantly higher PPG and actually made it to the CL knockouts. And barely a positive word is said about that team. So why the fans on here are so excited about this team and this season I've no idea.

He'sRaldo

Not true. We didn’t park the bus today, that’s a difference. Players like shaw have built confidence again due to ole’s man management, that’s another difference. The football in general is better as well - we do have ups and downs, but this needs time and signings (squad depth) to be fixed.

i don’t agree that expectations and standards are lower. We still want to win everything. But being realistic and knowing where we’re at and our squad’s capabilities and potential is very important. The rebuild is not a myth. The team was in a terrible shape when Ole took over.
I agree with a lot of that, but one thing I can't agree with is that our expectations haven't lowered. We're realistic because we know we have an inferior manager to at least 2 teams in the PL, and thus will need time to build a perfect squad in order to challenge under him.

With that said, like I said I do agree with a lot of that. I've enjoyed Ole's time the most post SAF, despite all.

Status
Not open for further replies.