Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverRed1

Has anyone noticed how ruthless tuchel is? Isn’t scared to sub or leave anyone out or at home. Don’t do what he asks, your off. Play crap you don’t last.

ole take notes!

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I honestly don’t get how people can’t see that we’re a much better side this season than we were last. Far better at pressing high and much better at breaking the press. Go and watch the Southampton home game last year for evidence of that. Should the squad we currently have be finishing higher than 3rd last year and 2nd this year? The answer to that is clearly no. He is getting what he should from the squad. It’s now time for the board to back the manager this summer and give him the 4 players needed to properly challenge. If that means selling Martial and Pogba then so be it.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
But why do you think Ole had what it takes to win us a premier league or a champion leagues. He doesn't. He hasn't shown he can do that. He still plays McTominay and Fred together and is leaving out Donny Van De Beek. Plus he is playing our worst centre back pairing in Maguire and Lindelof when Eric Bailey should be one of the starting centre backs. Plus we have lost 3 semi finals in a row. Also we haven't beaten any of the top 6 this season which includes Tottenham and Arsenal who are awful. It included 5 games where we drew 0-0.today we had Donny Van De Beek and Anthony Martial on the bench who could of changed the game. Give me a reason why you think Ole can win us a premier league or champions league title. Otherwise your views are blinkered just because Ole won us the treble and he's a legend.
As I said before I don't think any manager will until we have better players than City. It's got nothing to do with what I think about Ole as a player. Current flavour of the month Nagelsman hasn't 'shown he can win the PL and CL' either so what's your point? Any other options or have you just decided one man can save us?

He's correctly leaving out VdB because he's been useless. Bailly is rash and unreliable and gets better in people's minds the more he doesn't play.

Eriku

Talented, well motivated individuals like Bruno will drag you through games against average teams, but against the top teams you need proper coaching. That's where we have struggled since the beginning of Ole's reign and he either doesn't recognise it, or can't fix it. I'm happy for him to stick around as we are doing ok, and maybe he will learn some day, but we should be keeping an eye out for the next time a really top manager comes available. I don't have much faith in Ole ever becoming a great coach long term.
If anything we seemed to do better against top teams in the beginning. It’s only this season we’ve struggled against other top sides. In his 13 first matches against the top 6 we won 7, drew 4, and lost 2.

Do people just make shit up?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Talented, well motivated individuals like Bruno will drag you through games against average teams, but against the top teams you need proper coaching. That's where we have struggled since the beginning of Ole's reign and he either doesn't recognise it, or can't fix it. I'm happy for him to stick around as we are doing ok, and maybe he will learn some day, but we should be keeping an eye out for the next time a really top manager comes available. I don't have much faith in Ole ever becoming a great coach long term.
This narrative that Ole isn’t a proper coach is laughable, are you saying that Ole has been winging it this entire time? Even though time and time again we’ve seen evidence of coaching? What about the players he’s improved, Scotty, Shaw, Rashford?

Are you also essentially saying Bruno isn’t good enough & has to be told how to win games against the big teams and have his hand held? By that standard Bruno, in terms of being “coached” how to win games, isn’t a World Class player at all and is rather quite average? Average players need their hand held Bruno, is far from it and is one of the few world class players we have.

The narrative that this team needs “proper coaching” when we’ve had LVG/Jose previously, 2 World Class managers with world class backroom staff & they too have failed, is laughable on this place. What we need is better players and time.

We’re 2nd for crying out loud & are doing very well in 2 cup competitions, is no one ever happy around here unless we win every single game and every single cup year on year and 1 loss is a disaster???

laughtersassassin

It takes two to tango. Focus on the other team as much as you focus on us if you actually want to find out why. fecking Pep played two fecking holding midfielders against us, Pep of all people!
Weak excuse to be incapable of scoring in these games.

Standards are getting real low.

hungrywing

If anything we seemed to do better against top teams in the beginning. It’s only this season we’ve struggled against other top sides. In his 13 first matches against the top 6 we won 7, drew 4, and lost 2.

That's what I was looking for in that earlier post (in another thread?) Like a good chunk of posters have pointed out, the top six have adjusted they way they play against us.

I'm wondering what they're saying about him back home in Norway.

Mickson

I feel you really are missing the point if you think people are only disappointed because of the results.

It's quite often the performances that go alongside our results that is making people lose hope. Results wise we've done okay, the question is whether you can genuinely see him being able to progress us further from this point.
This is my concern. I don't really have a big problem with "going out in semi-finals" or being second or third in the league if I saw something that made me feel that we are going to win the league next season. As I remember, my Liverpool friends got that feel and saw the improvement in their play. I don't see it or feel it with United. we are so, so poor in so many games but still get results. Kind of like under Mourinho, but with a better and younger squad. But our football is going nowhere.

troylocker

Mate have some shame. We have scored 1 goal in all of these games. It is criminal.

I think a major reason is the McTom Fred pivot he plays versus the top teams. Of course yesterday it was practically our only option.
We are not the finished article yet, and still we are 2nd in the league and haven't lost away in the PL in 14 months. You have some shame.

Compared to last season the other top teams sets up very defensively against us because they fear our strenght on the breaks and rarely take risks against us any more. A competent team not willing to give away space against us will allways be hard to score against without a competent striker. With a striker that could be found with a cross (Cavani is our best option right now, but has failed to show up in big games) we would create a lot more big chances against the top teams as well. Martial and Greenwood doesn't have the positional awareness, movement or physique to be that threat and is too often found outside the box with their backs against the goal against established defences.

Last nights match was a good performance, with two teams that defended and pressed better than they attacked. I would rather start Rashford/Martial/Greenwood in that game though, and throw in James the last 15 or so to make some runs against tired legs.

rotherham_red

Weak excuse to be incapable of scoring in these games.

Standards are getting real low.
Not really.

When we were winning these big games we had people on here saying it was pointless because we would drop points to the smaller teams. Now it's a role reversal and many of these same people are now lambasting our big game record.

Is it great, or even good? No. But it's not terrible either. These teams now fear and respect our ability on the counter and have set up accordingly. We're building a system to play these games on our terms and this is the first season that we're trying to do so rather than just countering and hoping we get opportunities. It'll take time but equally important is that we have the players too. This is a squad and team with at least four (arguably 5 if we include DDG + if Henderson leaves) big holes within it. Fix just two of those holes and we'll see a better Utd in these games.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Mate have some shame. We have scored 1 goal in all of these games. It is criminal.

I think a major reason is the McTom Fred pivot he plays versus the top teams. Of course yesterday it was practically our only option.
And we've only conceded one in those games (not counting Spurs which was a massive outlier for numerous reasons). It's only fair to acknowledge both the positives and negatives of our record.

laughtersassassin

We are not the finished article yet, and still we are 2nd in the league and haven't lost away in the PL in 14 months. You have some shame.

Compared to last season the other top teams sets up very defensively against us because they fear our strenght on the breaks and rarely take risks against us any more. A competent team not willing to give away space against us will allways be hard to score against without a competent striker. With a striker that could be found with a cross (Cavani is our best option right now, but has failed to show up in big games) we would create a lot more big chances against the top teams as well. Martial and Greenwood doesn't have the positional awareness, movement or physique to be that threat and is too often found outside the box with their backs against the goal against established defences.

Last nights match was a good performance, with two teams that defended and pressed better than they attacked. I would rather start Rashford/Martial/Greenwood in that game though, and throw in James the last 15 or so to make some runs against tired legs.
This reminds me of the people saying losing 4 semi finals in a row wasnt that bad.

1 win in these games would be poor. 0 wins and 1 goal is very poor.

Though I will give our defence credit we don't conceed in these games which is good. But tbh we are going out not to lose rather than to win.

Yesterday's result on its own merits was good. Taken in context of how poor we are doing in such games it's another data point showing that we are struggling.

Yes we are not the finished article but it's not like we use our summers to try become it either.

Amir

The narrative that this team needs “proper coaching” when we’ve had LVG/Jose previously, 2 World Class managers with world class backroom staff & they too have failed, is laughable on this place. What we need is better players and time.
They were clearly not world class by the time they got here.

Solskjaer or not, the claim we've had top class managers before and it didn't work is just wrong.

laughtersassassin

And we've only conceded one in those games (not counting Spurs which was a massive outlier for numerous reasons). It's only fair to acknowledge both the positives and negatives of our record.
See my post below your one. I did acknowledge it and it is very good record. That said it must be because we are working to overprotect them considering our defense is terrible this season.

When Pogba is back time to go back to having him in the pivot in big games. We have a better record.

Robbie Boy

Maybe I watched a different game, but I thought we dominated the first half - bar the first ten minutes. We had Chelsea pinned back in their own half but just totally lacked any cutting edge in the final third. Chelsea made a tactical tweak and were better second half. Still though, they had no real chances bar Ziyech bottling a shot from about 10 yards out, from which DDG made a good save.

At the end of the day, a draw at Stamford Bridge is a decent result. Chelsea needed the win more than us and Tuchel couldn't find a way to win it. I understand our form has been a-bit patchy of late, but speaking solely about yesterday's game, I feel it was an ok performance and a decent enough point. It definitely didnt have the feel of a Jose shit-house performance.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think the media have just got it in for Ole. He does have his limitations, but I think they loath giving him any praise when it is due. Even when we play well, they pick holes in the performances for the slightest issue and turn it into a major issue. Our record against the Top 6 is not great, but neither is the Top 6 against us. Think they also need to revise who the Top 6 are now. If they go on who finishes in the Top 6 this season, they may find we have beaten a few of them.

Robbie Boy

I think the media have just got it in for Ole. He does have his limitations, but I think they loath giving him any praise when it is due. Even when we play well, they pick holes in the performances for the slightest issue and turn it into a major issue. Our record against the Top 6 is not great, but neither is the Top 6 against us. Think they also need to revise who the Top 6 are now. If they go on who finishes in the Top 6 this season, they may find we have beaten a few of them.
They think he's a pathetic excuse of a manager who is bluffing his way through the role. He has zero respect in the media.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The thing most use to justify Ole being in the job despite being vastly under qualified is that he knows the United way & has United DNA. Do you lot even remember the United way? It’s about being fearless & winning trophies. We are the opposite of that right now. We play for 0-0s in every big game because we are scared to lose & we bottle every chance we get at a trophy. This is the Spurs way, not the United way.

Zero PL wins against the big 6. Zero non-pen goals against the big 6. Zero chance of winning a trophy under him. I’m sorry because I know you lot love sentiment but he’s just not the one.

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The thing most use to justify Ole being in the job despite being vastly under qualified is that he knows the United way & has United DNA. Is bottling every semi final & playing for draws in every big game really the United way?
As I said he has his limitations, but after this summer we might find out if it is all him or the squad. Who would people give the job to? Poch has gone, Tuchel has gone, Rose has gone, that leave Nagelsmann, no saying he will be a hit. Clubs aren't falling over themselves, (no matter how many jobs come up?) for Allegri.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
The thing most use to justify Ole being in the job despite being vastly under qualified is that he knows the United way & has United DNA. Is bottling every semi final & playing for draws in every big game really the United way?

Zero PL wins against the big 6. Zero non-pen goals against the big 6. Zero chance of winning a trophy under him. I’m sorry because I know you lot love sentiment but he’s just not the one.
Ah bottling. The term used when a team clearly superior to another chokes in a game they should win 9/10 times. That definitely applies to semi finals against Man City, Chelsea, Seville and top six games against Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea and Spurs.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Maybe I watched a different game, but I thought we dominated the first half - bar the first ten minutes. We had Chelsea pinned back in their own half but just totally lacked any cutting edge in the final third. Chelsea made a tactical tweak and were better second half. Still though, they had no real chances bar Ziyech bottling a shot from about 10 yards out, from which DDG made a good save.

At the end of the day, a draw at Stamford Bridge is a decent result. Chelsea needed the win more than us and Tuchel couldn't find a way to win it. I understand our form has been a-bit patchy of late, but speaking solely about yesterday's game, I feel it was an ok performance and a decent enough point. It definitely didnt have the feel of a Jose shit-house performance.
Yeah, thats how I see it too. Game without much chances and team took turns in dominating game. Both teams didn't create enough chances to feel they missed out 2 points.

I checked average position and action zones, Chelsea had most of the players in their own half and when it comes to action zones, the game was played in Chelsea third more than in ManUtd third.

Mainoldo

Your not wrong. But one team better coached than the other Team considering we have a similar level of player (argued better level set of player).

Whilst both teams didn’t look like scoring at all. Backed up by us not making 1 clear cut chance at Chelsea’s goal.

Mainoldo

He’s very well protected by the media. LVG and Jose’s methods were constantly critiqued. Ole doesn’t get questioned about anything except for team form.

Cast5

Your not wrong. But one team better coached than the other Team considering we have a similar level of player (argued better level set of player).

Whilst both teams didn’t look like scoring at all. Backed up by us not making 1 clear cut chance at Chelsea’s goal.
Mctominay’s shot which Mendy saved was not a clear cut chance?

Skåre Willoch

Not sure where the line between "chance" and "clear cut chance" is drawn, but the 4 against 2(3?) at the end is definitely something. McTominays shot at the end of Shaws cross as well. We bottled them both, though. :(

This narrative that Ole isn’t a proper coach is laughable, are you saying that Ole has been winging it this entire time? Even though time and time again we’ve seen evidence of coaching? What about the players he’s improved, Scotty, Shaw, Rashford?

Are you also essentially saying Bruno isn’t good enough & has to be told how to win games against the big teams and have his hand held? By that standard Bruno, in terms of being “coached” how to win games, isn’t a World Class player at all and is rather quite average? Average players need their hand held Bruno, is far from it and is one of the few world class players we have.

We’re 2nd for crying out loud & are doing very well in 2 cup competitions, is no one ever happy around here unless we win every single game and every single cup year on year and 1 loss is a disaster???
I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Against better opposition individuals won't be able to win a game on their own as easily, that applies to Bruno as much as it does to Maradona or any player.

The extent of our attack against teams that sit deep is to pass it sideways across the 18 yard box until we get lucky, get a penalty, or hope for a moment of individual brilliance. It's so predictable, and teams have figured it out. We have very little in the way of passing routines and connections between players where they know where to run and when. Look at Rashford and the defenders. How many times does he run offside or they don't spot him at all. It should be almost a reflex for them to know where he is going and when, and for him to know how long he should wait before making his run.

Ole knows how to motivate players and push them, probably from watching the master all those years. He can't coach though, and SAF was happy to admit it wasn't his strength either. He brought in tactical masters like Queiroz to do it for him but Ole still hasn't figured that bit out.

We had one idea - counter attack. Teams wised up to that and we have struggled to implement anything new ever since.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
[

gotta laugh when a nil nil means we are the team that needs proper coaching. What about the other team in that nil nil.

red4ever 79

He’s very well protected by the media. LVG and Jose’s methods were constantly critiqued. Ole doesn’t get questioned about anything except for team form.
Agree with this statement. Let's see where we end up this season and if we manage to win a trophy. He will be judged at the end of it. I am not sure he should get a contract extension.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Lets all just be honest here, if Mourinho had 0 non-penalty goals in 7 games against the big 6 we would be killing him.
It's no secret that the goalposts have been massively moved.

Many still slate Jose for his signings even though we use most of them under Ole and some of them (Bailly) are now being touted as the answer to our problems. Matic has been solid mostly this season, Lindelof plays loads, Fred has played loads and is called underrated by many. Fact is Ole was left with the best squad out of Moyes (imo, they were past it and a genuine rebuild was necessary. Shouldn't have finished where we did though), LVG and Jose. Yet the need to rebuild is used as an excuse for Ole but not even taken into account for his predecessors that he's measured against.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
They were clearly not world class by the time they got here.

Solskjaer or not, the claim we've had top class managers before and it didn't work is just wrong.
My belief also. I have recognised that Jose is just past it now. In hindsight we have never made the right appointment post Fergie. These appointments shouldn't be used as reasons not to do it again, it's ridiculous.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
[

gotta laugh when a nil nil means we are the team that needs proper coaching. What about the other team in that nil nil.
It’s getting ridiculous now, this is surely the wrong game to bang on about how Chelsea have a proper manager and we don’t. :lol:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
New coach, already implementing a clear style but we all knew prior to the game that they are still a bit out of sync in attack. This showed, yet they still had the better chances.
Don’t know about the better chances, but they definitely had the much better bench as well as a much better need to get 3 points. But all they did was making negative subs as the game progressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.