Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrcaFat

How many midfielders did we start with and yet we still can't dominate. We're an embarrassment. Even when we win its an absolute slog.
Our midfielders are not good enough really. Doesn’t matter how many we play. Only Pogba is good enough but he’s often unfit, out of form or can’t be bothered.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Yet another important game lost with a woeful performance when the pressure was on.

Is no one worried by the fact that Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, McTominey etc.. aren’t improving as footballers?

You shouldn’t have to be absolutely terrible to lose your job at a club like Manchester United. Where are the standards?

Bring someone in who will improve our talented players and bring some sort of consistently to our performances. We are going nowhere.

OrcaFat

Wouldn’t blame Ole for most of the shite we saw today but I do think he made too many starting changes.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
To be fair with the trophy thing he’s been unlucky with the cup draws. Probability says one of Liverpool, West Ham or Leicester will beat us and they had so much more time to prepare today. We could have done with Barnsley, Luton and Sheff Utd like Chelsea.

I do agree though that bar individual moments where someone turns it on we look absolutely clueless. I don’t think he’s sustainable as a manager. Would be ideal to win the Europa and finish top 4 then get rid this Summer with a trophy behind us and CL football ahead.

Problem is top 4 is good enough for the United board nowadays.

Shark

@NotShark
We've seen that exact performance too many times this season. Only difference is we'd come our with a draw or slim win.

DickDastardly

Could someone point me to some progress points....cos i'm not seeing it.

Maybe i'm not thinking clearly, or i'm not seeing the bigger picture.

With kind regards.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
We crashed out of the CL because Ole didn't sub Fred off.
We crashed out of the FA Cup because Ole didn't sub Fred off.

We lose quite a few games because he seems ineffective from the sidelines with his changes, either personnel wise with subs or in terms of tactics mid-game. If Plan A doesn't work, we're pretty much fecked. That needs to change, and change quickly.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
How many midfielders did we start with and yet we still can't dominate. We're an embarrassment. Even when we win its an absolute slog.
Not always a slog but when it is, it is frustrating I agree. Matic and Fred was definitely a mistake. VDB I think could have done better but likely to see more of his influence if he had two energetic DMs behind.

I feel Matic can't really move anymore, that one two with Tielemans for the second goal summed him up. Sadly Fred was shite too.

Foxbatt

There has to be a plan that's practiced. You don't make basic mistakes like that. He hasn't got a clue and depends on individual players to get him out of trouble. Everyone of those players know that he is not good enough.
As players like Rio, RVN said they practiced their movements every day so it becomes second nature and would move without having to think.
Our players don't know what to do when they have the ball. It's because they don't practice.
You give these players to a better coach and he certainly would get us playing better football.
Even if we have Haaland he is not going to make any difference.

MattofManchester

Lo and behold, here we go again at the knockout stages, at least this time it's not a semi.

Completely and hopelessly outclassed today. This game is every problem we've had across the season shoved into one calamity.

Didn't have a problem with the lineup except one: Two DMs. There was no reason yet again for bother Fred and Matic. But we're awfully safe and prioritize not conceding as to actually scoring.
Testament to that was that we had one decent chance in 96 minutes and that was the goal. That was all. One single, minute chance. We didn't even threaten them.

We looked so disorderly and it didn't look like we had any idea or plan to what we had to do to break them down.
From back to front:
Our play out the back is awful. Ignoring Fred's moron moment, the cameras could pan to Maddison for a full 15 seconds before Maguire made the pass. It is so slow and ponderous.
It has been been like this ALL season. It's not new.
Watching City play out from the back is night and day. You don't need that kind of quality to make runs for space to help play out the back or quicker passing.

Midfield is so disjointed. I feel like Van De Beek is a prime example of someone who echoes the problem. Outside of the fact that he's not a No. 10, he looks like he has no understanding of what he's supposed to do in the role he plays. Pogba kept roaming into the 10 slot, which pushed him up or further back and suddenly its just all clogged.
None of the midfield seemed to make any sense.

Martial gets a full game, despite not doing anything. Fred stayed on despite a calamity, until Leicester killed off the game.

Then there's the changes. We revert to a McFred DM partnership, in spite of the fact that this is the very partnership that deprives us of any creativity, and that has aided in us notoriously struggling to break teams down. But, we bring them together, to force a win in a game we're chasing........
We also bring Cavani on and make him play LW, just to leave the very invisible Martial upfront.

Then there's the way we play when chasing the game that I find infuriating. It's so slow. Every player takes 5 touches before passing the ball.
All problems we've had all season long.

Why is absolutely nothing changing??

Our on field performances actually seem to get worse.

Ludens the Red

Not sure what that line up was about. There’s an international break coming up where a lot of our players won’t play both games. Play your strongest team then make the changes as the game unfolds. Don’t decide on these things before the game.

I mean what was the worse that could happen if Shaw, Bruno, McTominay, James started today? If they pass out from exhaustion 30 mins in then take them off.

Beaten YET again in a crunch game by a far better manager. It’s almost as if there’s a link between the two.

owlo

I think it's clear as day ole has earned another season and a new contract (contracts are meaningless but it would be wierd not to renew in final season, it is a signal). I can't wrap my head around those who think otherwise. The only real argument is we had a collapse in the CL, which I think we can definitely chalk up to ole and his lack of experience fighting in all fronts like this. But even that cl campaign comes with positives.
My arguments against it (and I could well be biased as I've consistently been OGS out) are as follows:

- After 2+ years, he still doesn't have a positive style of play. Yes you could argue that we try to hit teams fast on the counter, but it's really not a sustainable tactic.
- Our players often look totally clueless. By totally clueless, I mean they just don't seem like they've ever played together before.
- His signings have been weird. He's spent a lot of money on players who don't seem to fit any sort of football he's attempted to play.
- He's frozen out and banished useful players, yet persisted with others who are trash week after week.
- His game management is non existent.
- I don't see the CL or any cup campaign with any sort of positives. He consistently fails to motivate and rev the players up when it matters.
- He's incapable of playing against a low block.
- Our set pieces are still a mess.

This isn't to say that I don't see positives. Our players seem far happier and less treacherous, and some are improving with that freedom. I think initially he brought the feel good factor back. He's capitalised on the mess of other teams/bizarre circumstances over the last couple of seasons to keep us in the top4. So I'm not really bitter towards him. I just want him gone now.

space

Every win with Ole feels like a relief and every loss feels expected - we don't play good football at all - I think he has done a decent job getting us in the top 4 but it still just feels like his sacking is inevitable - we are so so average

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Strange team selection today, especially considering top 4 looks assured and we’ve not got a game for two weeks.

But we’re 2nd in the league and have a great chance in the Europa.

Let’s judge him at the end of the season

AFC NimbleThumb

The cancer...
all the shit...
embarassing as a United supporter...
filter out the morons...
shitty takes...

How isn't that already flagged? Aren't you aware of the fact that this emotional take on things is at least half of the reason of the issues in the first place?

Its ridiculous. There are supposedly adults using ignore-lists to make sure they are not confronted with opinions and statements that make them not feel well. People are calling for bans and thread locks just to make sure, everybody is more in line with their own stances.

So many laughed about RAWK and their behaviour. Now this. The irony...
Whoever came up with the ignore-list is a ****.

If a poster is offending another that should be moderated by. . . a moderator, instead of handing out points bans for opinions they disagree with.

If you’re halfway through a forum discussion & find yourself needing to block opposing opinions then you should be deactivating your account not creating an echo chamber.

I get into lots of back & forths on here about a multitude of things, if I blocked someone based on their opinions on one subject I could be missing out on a helpful point on another.

The same people blocking out the anti-OgS talk are more than happy to dish it out against less popular players though, go figure.

If you can’t handle neg

SAFMUTD

I dont know why people is surprise this keep happening to us, its obvious we wont progress in cups when we are riding our luck in every single game. Sooner or later it catches up to us and we're out, same old feeling of impotence tonight once again. The team doesnt show any cohesive structure we play like a bunch of unknows no matter who is on the pitch, thats clearly on coaching.

Im not joking when I say bringing Haaland, Sancho, Grealish or whoever will change nothing no player is going to suddenly turn us into a well oiled team.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
No way of putting a positive spin on today. Comfortably Ole’s worst day in the job since the early days of the season. A shite performance, built on a puzzling team selection, leading to another big missed opportunity.

I’m really, really disappointed and frustrated. The comments from Ole in the last week or so about a trophy not being that important are exactly the sort of thing you might expect to hear from Pochettino, and not a Manchester United manager. What am I doing committing myself and arranging my life to watch 60-odd games a season if we don’t give everything to try and fecking win the damn things?!

I could accept losing, but we came across either arrogant or complacent today, if not both. Did we pick the team we did because we thought we could get away with it, or did we select that XI because we didn’t think losing was the end of the world?

The optics of it are terrible: Leicester look like the team who see top four as the minimum and trophies as the real goal. They have injury problems, but selected their strongest available XI. For some reason, we rested Shaw and Bruno for their internationals, even though Rashford too was left out of the squad to recover. I just do not understand the mentality. This was one of our biggest games in the season so far, which would have hopefully lead to even bigger ones.

Yeah, plenty of the players put in shit performances, but we know exactly what we are getting from them. Ole cannot have been surprised. VDB looks like a charity case, Martial just cannot be arsed, Mason is enthusiastic but very raw, Fred is useless with the fecking ball, Telles is a dud at this level etc.

I hope the players and the manager were unaware of having drawn Soton until full-time. They deserve this bit of hubris. That four-pack of substitutes suggested someone was aware of having badly fecked up though.

edgecutter

I dont know why people is surprise this keep happening to us, its obvious we wont progress in cups when we are riding our luck in every single game. Sooner or later it catches up to us and we're out, same old feeling of impotence tonight once again. The team doesnt show any cohesive structure we play like a bunch of unknows no matter who is on the pitch, thats clearly on coaching.

Im not joking when I say bringing Haaland, Sancho, Grealish or whoever will change nothing no player is going to suddenly turn us into a well oiled team.
This,

We brought in VDB and he looks absolutely clueless when playing for us.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Looks like he's reached the limit of his ability, I don't see us going to the next level with him in charge.
There's no tactical strategy at times, his substitutions are bizarre, and he is running our best players to the ground because he doesn't know how to rotate.

Robbie Boy

Funnily enough, I've seen some of the extremist Ole-in guys shitting on a lot of our players after the match and labelling their defenders 'fanboys'. Oh my god, the irony is too much :lol:

JG3001

Personally, I’ve been pretty strong Ole out for the full season, but I’d give him the chance to get the Europa Cup, otherwise farewell.

Let’s be honest, after 2 years we’re still way too inconsistent. I don’t think he helps himself with the amateurs in his coaching team.

passing-wind

I'm not sure why we are all surprised. In life your mentality determines your destination and I don't care how much any one person can detest to this it's a fact.

When the club was 1st the manager concedes he's not going for the title = the team loses its league position.
When the team has an upcoming quarter final tie the manager concedes that the competition is of no significance = team loses fixture and knockout.

Ole legend of a player by all accounts, however as a manager he's not a winner.

Idxomer

He's an average manager and by his admission not really a coach, there's absolutely no reason for him to continue.

Put Neil Weood or Carrick in his place and you'll barely notice a difference.

Djemba-Djemba

One of his absolute worst games as manager this.

A cup quarter final away to a team a point behind us in the league with an international break up next and he decides today is the day to rotate and rest.

Keeping Fred on until the game was over, keeping Martial on all game, waiting until the 65th minute to make any subs.

Absolutely appalling management today.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

A cup quarter final away to a team a point behind us in the league with an international break up next and he decides today is the day to rotate and rest.

Keeping Fred on until the game was over, keeping Martial on all game, waiting until the 65th minute to make any subs.

Eventhough im on a fence with Ole i must agregaty with you.

Saddy

2nd place and the Europa Cup otherwise he goes IMO - disgrace today from selection to match management.

Brendan Rogers is head and shoulders above him

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
How many decent performances have we produced this season.
I keep hearing progress but when I watch the games, I can't see it.

Paul_Scholes18

Yeah it is crazy when you think about it.

It do not make any sense I think.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I have sympathy for Ole when I see us in the final third as he has no established striker for the most part, and no proper right winger. But, today and both games vs Milan, I felt the game was surrendered in midfield and that's not really good enough.

But I trust he works on it from here, with the higher ups being changed to understand what's needed.
We knew this last summer. Why did we spend £40 million on VDB and £40 million on a kid to join us a few months later. Thats terrible planning and I do not trust Ole at all.

Paul_Scholes18

How many decent performances have we produced this season.
I keep hearing progress but when I watch the games, I can't see it.
City, real Socidead first games in CL vs Leipzig, PSG and second vs Istanbul too. Liverpool in the cup too.
Southampton great as well, but red card made it easier.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Ole has to play the same team 60 times a season. That's basically what people are saying then isn't it?

Leicester are a very good team, in 3rd place and didn't play in Europe Thursday night and people on here and acting like all we had to do was turn up and win?

Milan away (needing to win) and then Leicester away right after was always a very tall order for this team.

CM

I really hope for Solskjaer's sake that we win Europa else the vultures will be out. I'm sure he'll get crucified for leaving Fernandes on the bench for the next couple of weeks.

I wouldn't have made the changes he did but can sort of understand the logic with some after an intense game on Thursday. Ultimately I think he has to acknowledge players like Matic and van de Beek cannot be trusted in future big games.

Fooza

Ole has to play the same team 60 times a season. That's basically what people are saying then isn't it?

Leicester are a very good team, in 3rd place and didn't play in Europe Thursday night and people on here and acting like all we had to do was turn up and win?

Milan away (needing to win) and then Leicester away right after was always a very tall order for this team.
A good manager rotates and can still gets good performances, through tactics and management. It's not like the team we put out there lacked individual quality.

What have you seen today that resembled that?

Actually forget that even, the team just seem like they didn't even want it enough...that to me should get you concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.