Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The time is rapidly approaching when we’ll have to decide whether actually winning things is important or not.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Progress, progress, progress....where is that progress exactly?
Lvg and Jose played in cup finals and won something. Jose got us back to back in CL. Lvg fecked up once (and he got fired).
Spending is more or less the same. Quality of signings also. All have more flops then hits. Football is dire.

So, where is the progress?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Plays Bruno for the home leg v Sociedad leading 4-0 from the 1st leg. Rests him today against in an inform Leicester in a cup . Makes sense .
Yup. Wouldn't surprise me if the people who defended Ole for starting Bruno vs Sociedad are the same ones who defended him for resting Bruno today.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
So much overreaction in this thread :lol: And this is coming from someone who doubts Ole as a long term manager
What's the overreaction?

4 semi-final losses in one year.

The most embarrassing collapse in Champions League group stage history.

Completely shitting the bed as soon as we hit the top of the league.

Losing at home to relegated Sheffield United.

Unable to beat Big fecking Sam's relegated West Brom.

One win in nine in the league against City, Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs.

Swept out of the FA Cup by Leicester.

How much evidence of his mediocrity do people need before they stop lying to themselves with their green smileys and accept he'll achieve nothing here? It'll be 2024 here with a permanent Europa League residency and one FA Cup final loss to our name and people on Redcafe will still be like "Sack him? :lol:"

redNATION

What's the overreaction?

One win in nine in the league against City, Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs.

How much evidence of his mediocrity do people need before they stop lying to themselves with their green smileys and accept he'll achieve nothing here? It'll be 2024 here with a permanent Europa League residency and one FA Cup final loss to our name and people on Redcafe will still be like "Sack him? :lol:"
Exactly, by comparison lampard got sacked despite still being in the champions league and fa cup, and zidane is under pressure at Real despite being in a shout for the league and champions league. Talk about standards!

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What's the overreaction?

Not reaching any semi finals in an year

A pretty embarrasing collapse in CL in an easy group

Shitting the bed in the last few game weeks of a season

Losing at home to Blackburn Rovers

Unable to beat Alan Pardew's Newcastle United

Swept out of league cup by Crystal Palace

Guess the season?

Hell, if we're going this way, I can make a similar story for nearly every season for every team

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What's the overreaction?

I’m neither in nor out really but it’s how you phrase some of it isn’t it. I could spin some of those so much more positive than somebody reacting after a first away defeat in 30.

- Reached 4 semi finals in the last two seasons. Two against a clearly superior City side.

- Topped the league for the first time since SAF was manager.

- Signed one of the most influential players in the league which transformed our team. Blooded Greenwood into the first team. Improved Luke Shaw to the point where he’s the best left back in the league. Improved Fred (before his recent poor form).

- Some great results in the CL but yes a poor end to that recent group stage.

- Did the double over City last season and beat them at the Etihad this season which stopped their winning run. Knocked Liverpool out of the FA Cup.

- 30 unbeaten domestic away games in a row. Still unbeaten away in the PL.

We’ve had a tough run. The squad depth clearly isn’t good enough and every club is struggling. In fact over a league which is the best way of seeing how good teams are, there are 18 teams doing worse than we are. The players look mentally and physically fatigued and are playing through injury.

Yes there’s things he could’ve done better and tactically it’s questionable at times but nothing is absolute. It’s not all black and white.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What's the overreaction?

I think the post below is the best answer to such an overreaction. Ole played the right team and tactics vs Sevilla and was unlucky. He wasn't favourites against Liverpool and won. He wasn't favourites vs City and lost. Your expectations of the manager need revision - he's performed fine in cups in my opinion. Today was only his second loss in his past 24 games - anyone can play with stats.
Not reaching any semi finals in an year

A pretty embarrasing collapse in CL in an easy group

Shitting the bed in the last few game weeks of a season

Losing at home to Blackburn Rovers

Unable to beat Alan Pardew's Newcastle United

Swept out of league cup by Crystal Palace

Guess the season?

Hell, if we're going this way, I can make a similar story for nearly every season for every team

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Exactly, by comparison lampard got sacked despite still being in the champions league and fa cup, and zidane is under pressure at Real despite being in a shout for the league and champions league. Talk about standards!
But but but.....what they have from sacking managers and shit like that? Few CL, few cups and few titles. And nothing else.

Our standards with Ole hit rock bottom. From Glazers to fans. Top 4 trophy is all what we care about. Because we have manager who knows the club.[/QUOTE]

RedDevilzFox

I think people would be asking for his sack if we weren't sitting 2nd in the league, innit? Which admittedly is a head scratcher with this jekyll and hyde team. Nevertheless, his days are numbered, I am sure of it.

Robbie Boy

So much overreaction in this thread :lol: And this is coming from someone who doubts Ole as a long term manager
The extremist 'ins' and 'outs' have totally lost the plot recently. Both 'sides' need a rest from it all.

el3mel

I’m neither in nor out really but it’s how you phrase some of it isn’t it. I could spin some of those so much more positive than somebody reacting after a first away defeat in 30.

- Reached 4 semi finals in the last two seasons. Two against a clearly superior City side.

- Signed one of the most influential players in the league which transformed our team. Blooded Greenwood into the first team. Improved Luke Shaw to the point where he’s the best left back in the league. Improved Fred (before his recent poor form).

- Did the double over City last season and beat them at the Etihad this season which stopped their winning run. Knocked Liverpool out of the FA Cup.

We’ve had a tough run. The squad depth clearly isn’t good enough and every club is struggling. In fact over a league which is the best way of seeing how good teams are, there are 18 teams doing worse than we are. The players look mentally and physically fatigued and are playing through injury.

Yes there’s things he could’ve done better and tactically it’s questionable at times but nothing is absolute. It’s not all black and white.
This isn't true at all. LVG topped the league at one point during his second season. Pretty sure Mourinho did it at one point as well.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This isn't true at all. LVG topped the league at one point during his second season. Pretty sure Mourinho did it at one point as well.
Was it outright? As in after all matches of the game week had been played? I was sure I saw a stat about it when we went top.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
2.5 years have passed. We learned that Ole is not a cup manager. We learned that he is NOT attacking manager. We learned that with his approach we can't win enough points to win a league. We learned that he is not good on transfer market.

So, why people still have faith in him? Can't understand that.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Can anyone explain the justification for resting before an international break? Fair enough if there’s a game midweek but I can’t understand rotating the squad when there’s no club games for two weeks. Seems idiotic to me.

el3mel

Was it outright? As in after all matches of the game week had been played? I was sure I saw a stat about it when we went top.
The stat was about topping the league post Jan. Yes, it's true that post Jan this was the first time we topped the league.

But overall, nope, LVG topped the league with a points gap at one point in his second season after defeating Sunderland 3-0. We went on and lost it next week though, by losing 0-3 to Arsenal away. It was in November or October, I believe.

laughtersassassin

Terribly disappointed.

We should really not give him that contract till we see how the EL goes. We should be winning it.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The extremist 'ins' and 'outs' have totally lost the plot recently. Both 'sides' need a rest from it all.
It is nothing extreme. It is like having bellow average first choice striker who scored less than 10 goals 3 seasons in a row. Will you stick with him or buy another? You will buy another.
We have a manager who is not good enough and who is only still on the job because he is a club legend. If any other manager did this in 3 seasons 100% fans would want him sacked.

United fans just can't separate Ole player and Ole manager.

talking robot

He's probably going to earn a new contract. He has done a reasonable enough job stabilizing our results as well as shipping deadwood and overhauling the squad (a job to be completed this summer). The big questions now are (a) Will he be properly backed in the transfer market and (b) Can he stop being so risk averse, and implement a more exciting brand of football? These two questions are connected as (b) is very hard to achieve without (a).

There's a reasonable argument that he wasn't backed properly in the market this summer, and is overachieving with what he has available. Dunno if that's entirely accurate, but it is absolutely clear that if we are going to evolve, the Glazers need to stop being such greedy f&*ks and properly invest in the first team. If they make 1-2 more big purchases that are clearly "Ole" signings, and we are still to risk averse and unable to overrun smaller teams on a regular basis, then he'll have to go. Given the job he's done so far in stabilizing our league form, I'm willing to give a bit more time personally, but also can understand the other side want an upgrade asap.

Heinzesight

These players can be better than this or play better as a team. I am sure of it. I love Solskjaer but maybe he’s just peaked and we won’t do any worse and we won’t suddenly start thrashing teams and looking like a well drilled unit.

There’s that constant thought of what a proper tactician could do with these players...wouldn’t want the managerial Tapir that is Rodgers managing us but it would be so intriguing to see how we’d look under someone like him.

Really torn on this as we have the odd great performance and think maybe, just maybe it’ll all click...then we are served up with dross like tonight. Football eh, bloody hell lads.

AshRK

Ole is here to stay for at least another season so people who want Ole gone have to bear this. He is going nowhere.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
City, real Socidead first games in CL vs Leipzig, PSG and second vs Istanbul too. Liverpool in the cup too.
Southampton great as well, but red card made it easier.
Everton draw was a good one as well. Point is, too few and far between. Not good enough.

Crustanoid

Rodgers has a better club set up/scouting program around him. He’d probably fail if he managed us due to our shit owners and woeful club structure

always_hoping

Simply put United don't have the strength in depth to fight on three fronts. Changes to the starting 11 was required today having played Thursday and Leicester having the week off but United don't have like for like replacements to cover in the manner that City, Chelsea can.

Would have been the best week for United this season if they had won today but if one had to choose 1 loss in West Ham last Sunday, Milan Thursday and Leicester today it would be today.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Simply put United don't have the strength in depth to fight on three fronts. Changes to the starting 11 was required today having played Thursday and Leicester having the week off but United don't have like for like replacements to cover in the manner that City, Chelsea can.

Would have been the best week for United this season if they had won today but if one had to choose 1 loss in West Ham last Sunday, Milan Thursday and Leicester today it would be today.
Agree with all that.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
This idiot rested Fernandes today but played him against Real Sociedad in the 2nd leg game......he has no clue how to use his squad.

And every good coach would have brought off Fred at half-time (Great coaches even before half-time).

hungrywing

Rodgers has a better club set up/scouting program around him. He’d probably fail if he managed us due to our shit owners and woeful club structure
This can't be stressed enough. As poor as some aspects of Ole are, a Woodward-type is an immensely, almost unimaginably toxic element in an organization, especially when in a position of such power. Under someone like that, you can find yourself having to row harder just to stay in place.

Water Melon

I always thought that EL is more important than the FA cup. It hurts to be knocked out by the foxes, however, as long as we win the EL and finish second in the league, I am a happy man. However, I am not so sure we will be the runner ups by the end of the season, nor do I see us winning the Europa despite being the strongest team left in this competition.

edgecutter

If this is an achievement then we really have become small time

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
What's the overreaction?

Now that’s the definition of an overreaction. It’s not even the most embarrassing in our own history, let alone in the CL history. You better check 2005/06 and 2011/12 when we were very embarrassing in much easier groups.

Crustanoid

This can't be stressed enough. As poor as some aspects of Ole are, a Woodward-type is an immensely, almost unimaginably toxic element in an organization, especially when in a position of such power. Under someone like that, you can find yourself having to row harder just to stay in place.
Exactly.

We could go out there and get the ‘next best thing’ manager and they would fall short because of Woodward, the owners, and the way the club is run.

Ole has actually done well considering.

Don’t expect us to improve until our owners sell up

Status
Not open for further replies.