Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

city-puma

Anyone who still feel our football is similar to Jose's football is just trolling at this point and this is coming from a person who feel our football needs improving even further. That performance was amazing. Full marks to the team and Ole. Again showing how much unwanted abuses he gets.
This! Exactly.
This game perfectly demonstrates the different philosophy between Ole and Jose. Jose just wants to neutralize us. We played our game and dissolved their efforts brilliantly and control the second half. Anyone thinking Spurs has a poor squad is probably delusional.

NZT-One

If the team would play like today most of the time, there wouldn't even be a fraction of the criticism. I think, today showed, that we have it in us to play very good stuff - that fatique and personal are not allmighty factors. I'll be the first one to take a bow if this performance starts a trend. Heck, even if the results dip but the performances keep coming, I'll be there - bowing...

I knew, there must be a way to integrate Pogba into the team, let's hope it wasn't just a fluke. I thought Spurs played well as well (shithousery aside) and were unexpectingly courageous. That sure helped us but great performance today. Very very happy with the team.

Womp

idiot
Second half was much more of what I'd like to see from the team. We can stop using 'fatigue' as an excuse for our shite performances now. Was a brilliant second half, more of that.

AshRK

Second half was much more of what I'd like to see from the team. We can stop using 'fatigue' as an excuse for our shite performances now. Was a brilliant second half, more of that.
But fatigue is a genuine concern. And it's not just us, you even look at city they also don’t look to their best. Teams are scrapping past. We have been playing 3 games every week since December 1st week. That's not normal.

Yes we must improve our play but to say fatigue cannot be used as an excuse is weird. A team cannot play high tempo football every 3 days. It is just not going to happen. Teams have to grind out results if they are to achieve their targets.

AshRK

Maybe the tide is turning and he is starting to get some respect.

Cast5

Tactically outclassed Bourinho on a level playing field tonight, people hiding in their caves won’t give the man respect, he’s a fantastic manager.

NZT-One

But fatigue is a genuine concern. And it's not just us, you even look at city they also don’t look to their best. Teams are scrapping past. We have been playing 3 games every week since December 1st week. That's not normal.

Yes we must improve our play but to say fatigue cannot be used as an excuse is weird. A team cannot play high tempo football every 3 days. It is just not going to happen. Teams have to grind out results if they are to achieve their targets.
Of course fatigue is a factor that effects play. But if you look at how we played today - it was possible despite fatigue, wasn't it? That's the point. Nobody will deny that it doesn't effect us. But right now, we are fatigued, we have to be fatigued - but still, we were able to play like we did against Spurs. If in the next match, we aren't able to deliver a convincing performance, then putting it on fatigue solely, would be a somewhat weak excuse.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We've all debated our quality of football, and all over recent weeks but yesterday was brilliant. We played the second half like a proper Manchester United team - dominating our opponents. Well done to Ole and the team.

rotherham_red

Of course fatigue is a factor that effects play. But if you look at how we played today - it was possible despite fatigue, wasn't it? That's the point. Nobody will deny that it doesn't effect us. But right now, we are fatigued, we have to be fatigued - but still, we were able to play like we did against Spurs. If in the next match, we aren't able to deliver a convincing performance, then putting it on fatigue solely, would be a somewhat weak excuse.
I think the 1-6 in October and it being Jose is more of a reason for that performance than anything else. Just like City was. It's an outlier for this team and a tantalising hint of what this team can do once it takes the next step in its development but the motivation was there for them to overcome the fatigue that simply isn't there in all but the Liverpool and maybe Leeds games from those we have left.

Not that I think it's acceptable, but that's my POV

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Our best game under him AND his best performance. Formation, lineup, subs...top performance.

And what i loved the most. Last 10 minutes we defended with possession! This is the way!

Acquire Me

If people don’t see progress at this stage then it’s just sad.

Ole are willing to starve our players to get results. That has to count for something?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Its not an "excuse" though, its pretty evident across all the leagues that covid football have been brutal on the players.

Spurs have played quite a bit of football themselves and looked really leggy in the second half

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Time to give Ole some credit now.
  • Man-management: I thought that after the tumultuous tenure of David Moyes which saw our self belief and confidence dragged through mud, LVG restored our collective spirit as a football team (but obviously mismanaged out transfers). Then Mourinho built on that and improved us before his implosion in his final season, but on the man management side, I always felt we were on edge as a football team. Those that he liked, he adored and swore by, but the ones that he didn't became a flaring point. He went public on his unhappiness regarding any player he didnt quite fancy whether it be Pogba, Shaw or Martial in a desperate attempt to protect his own image and imaginary aura. Ole has done extremely well at managing to get rid of players that didn't suit him (Sanchez, Smalling, Lukaku etc) and handling difficult situations (dropping Pogba) while ensuring that the team spirit is maintained, and nothing becomes a media issue. Reminds me of the calming influence that Zidane brought to Real Madrid. So well done on that.
  • Focus on the 'right' profile: He's definitely favoured players who fit the profile of what we like to see in a Manchester United player - pace, youth, ,mentality and technical ability. Hence, we saw Martial get such support. Of course you could argue that it was a mistake to do so, but I still prefer those attributes gievn a chance at United.
  • Team spirit: I think our spirit this season, the 6-1 dribbling aside, has been great. Yes, I've found issues with our football throughout but you can't argue with the mentality we have these days. A caveat here is that in the big cup matches, the same mentality is lacking.
So yeah, I remain skeptical of Ole's abilities as a manager, but credit where it's due for us having the collective needed to pull off these comeback wins. The way we responded yesterday to a bad decision and goal, was brilliant. We played like a team on a mission.

Awwal Lawal

I have read many of your post and you give a slant towards the fact that the Coach performs an average job. However, considering the injustice of the disallowed goal and subpar refereeing, you need to give the Coach top marks of calming agitated players.

Ole kept the team focused on the task at hand and galvanized them to perform excellently. The adrenaline rush from the perceived injustice during the match and the flashback to the same earlier injustice during the 1-6 defeat means the players are fired up when coming out for the second half.

Credit to Ole for keeping them inline and not committing rash tackles and letting the game go out of hand.

This match adds another notch to the debate revolving around the importance of man management versus tactical acumen. In my opinion, on a percentage scale, I would apportion 60% to man management with 40% to tactical acumen.

Yesterday, the ability of Ole and the coaching staff to manage the players correctly for the second half aided and amplified the effect of the tactical change when Mason came in the second half. If the players had lost their heads, no matter the tactical change, the match would have been lost.

However, here we are the next day celebrating a profound win against Jose and his referee-conning team. Furthermore, the effect of properly managing the team and getting down to work despite the effect of the lack of preseason and less than stellar transfer window is quite evident at this point.

We need to reconsider and recognise the positive effect of what Ole has done this season and not give backhanded compliments disguised as support.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Its not an "excuse" though, its pretty evident across all the leagues that covid football have been brutal on the players.

Spurs have played quite a bit of football themselves and looked really leggy in the second half
Yeah I don't think its fair to look at yesterdays performance and make a 'well, why can't we play like that every week then?' claim because that's not realistic. We weren't particularly great in the first half and the disallowed goal was such a blow because it looked like it was going to be a game of few chances. I think the behaviour of the Spurs players lit a fire under the team and the adrenaline carried us through.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Maybe the tide is turning and he is starting to get some respect.
There's no denying he's a nice guy but I hate this type of micro analysis based on hindsight.

Journalists often piss me off, they will post whichever way momentum is going and try and suggest it's something they've seen for a long time. You can bet your bottom dollar that Henry Winter doesn't put that tweet out if we lost or drew yesterday.

Lappen

I really liked what The team including Ole did yesterday, especially the second half.
Not the first time but its nice to hear McTominay talking about How Ole calmed the team down and lifted there confidence reminded them on its "only" 1-0, and how many times they sorted that out before.
The focus in the second half was great, and the different Greenwood made coming in was excellent.

Now mr Ole Gunnar Solskear have sat the standard on how it should look.... just keep on doing it please....

Olecurls99

Ole subs have produced 15 goals this season. 3 more than any other manager.

Let the 'can't sub' argument end there methinks.

flappyjay

You love to see it, the so called "PE" teacher out doing the tactical masters. No one is talking about this but the club didn't get him any starters in the last window, didn't moan did his job. Hopefully the club do right by him this coming window.

Olecurls99

So much easier when your best player is available, eh Wompy? :)

We play better stuff when our technical players are fit.

Ole must be doing some night coaching course on the side.

thepolice123

Massive credit to him for the match. We don't play the most eye pleasing football but we definitely came out guns blazing in the second half. The whole team pushed higher up with fullbacks attacking at every opportunity. Spurs, on other hand, got punished for their cowardly approach.

Red Stone

Honestly, it feels like his critics are just after him because he's "inexperienced top-level manager and ex-United player Ole Gunnar Solskjær" now. If it was some fancy hipster flavour-of-the-month manager with a German-sounding name achieving the same I have a feeling we'd be collectively frothing at the proverbial gash at where we are now compared to where we were when he took over. Sure, it's taken almost two and a half years, but considering the fecking state of the club when Moyes, van Gaal and Mourinho were done with it was never going to be an overnight fix, especially with Covid thrown into the mix as well.

Things definitely aren't perfect yet, but at least we're slowly climbing out of the hole instead of digging deeper. I don't think we're that far off delivering consistent title-winning form across the full season. We've shown it for extended periods several times over the course of Ole's tenure, and I think it's only a matter of time until they stop being streaks and start being the norm. A proper rest during the summer and a couple of additions to the starting eleven and things could get quite interesting. Hope the Euros don't feck it up for us any more than for the rest of the teams in the league.

MinGin

Maybe this is the reason why our performance looked not that good in the first half, we have no time to be directly against and the opponent and adjusted the set up. We were just watched youtube or something like that to play with Jose's team.

NZT-One

I think the 1-6 in October and it being Jose is more of a reason for that performance than anything else. Just like City was. It's an outlier for this team and a tantalising hint of what this team can do once it takes the next step in its development but the motivation was there for them to overcome the fatigue that simply isn't there in all but the Liverpool and maybe Leeds games from those we have left.

Not that I think it's acceptable, but that's my POV
Yeah I guess you're right. Especially Pogba seems like the kind of player who would like to rub it in into the face of a hostile manager (and he kind of did yesterday ^^). Nevertheless, the match enables us to evaluate performances a little bit better. Because as you say, maybe the motivation is also a topic. Probably not a major one but it could play a role even though you would expect being top of the league would also work as a strong motivator which it didn't seem to be back in January.

Also - you mentioned "taking the next step in its development", what do you think this is?

Yeah I don't think its fair to look at yesterdays performance and make a 'well, why can't we play like that every week then?' claim because that's not realistic. We weren't particularly great in the first half and the disallowed goal was such a blow because it looked like it was going to be a game of few chances. I think the behaviour of the Spurs players lit a fire under the team and the adrenaline carried us through.
Who says it isn't? That's the thing isn't it - it is similar to one of the core questions of this thread "is it possible to get more out of this squad". We just don't know if the answer is yes or no, unprovable. To just put the great performance down to our players being agitated, I feel it takes something away from yesterdays achievements. We made use of the ball, we played with it. AWB was more committed, Fred was more involved and slightly closer to goal. Yesterdays performance isn't just down to "being motivated" for me. Look at the disallowed goal, it was a mostly nothing situation but Cavani attacked a space, gained a metre and Pogba played a simple pass into space, bamm goal. Stuff like that is usually missing from our play.

I have read many of your post and you give a slant towards the fact that the Coach performs an average job. However, considering the injustice of the disallowed goal and subpar refereeing, you need to give the Coach top marks of calming agitated players.
Don't think I said that. He is doing a good job and exceeds expectations. In some aspects he is doing a very good job. Doesn't mean that I shouldn't point out, what I might miss and also point out hollow praise when I feel it is due. You also felt the need to accuse me of things (see below) so... I guess it is the same situation isn't it?

Ole kept the team focused on the task at hand and galvanized them to perform excellently. The adrenaline rush from the perceived injustice during the match and the flashback to the same earlier injustice during the 1-6 defeat means the players are fired up when coming out for the second half.
Changes were visible in 1st half as well. I agree, being somewhat riled up has certainly played a part in our great performance. The actual extent is (like everything) debatable.

Credit to Ole for keeping them inline and not committing rash tackles and letting the game go out of hand.
100% agree, we kept our cool, kudos to the players and the manager.

This match adds another notch to the debate revolving around the importance of man management versus tactical acumen. In my opinion, on a percentage scale, I would apportion 60% to man management with 40% to tactical acumen.
I wouldn't come to this conclusion after the match seeing that Pogba was deployed in a somewhat unorthodox manner and we definitely weren't as direct as usual so I think, there is more to that performance than "mostly" man management. But I understand what you mean, it is a legit stance.

However, here we are the next day celebrating a profound win against Jose and his referee-conning team. Furthermore, the effect of properly managing the team and getting down to work despite the effect of the lack of preseason and less than stellar transfer window is quite evident at this point.
I get some RAWK vibes here... I don't like that. Shithousery is shit, bad refs are shit, stupid implementation of VAR is shit. But it is shit for everybody so it evens out. I'd be the first to support changes to prevent some things but nobody asks me so I accept it as part of the game, one that effects everybody.

We need to reconsider and recognise the positive effect of what Ole has done this season and not give backhanded compliments disguised as support.
Cheap shot. I could also disappear after a good performance and not say anything. But no, I display my happiness and being proud but the mind police is ready to accuse people of "being not sincere enough". Well done. Way to go to find a way out of the rampant tribalism around here. Let's just not do it, we are better off without it.

Robbie Boy

We've all debated our quality of football, and all over recent weeks but yesterday was brilliant. We played the second half like a proper Manchester United team - dominating our opponents. Well done to Ole and the team.
Yup, we set up well and won well. I don't think we were anywhere near as bad in the first half as some are making out, either. I think it was a fairly drab first half in general, footballing wise. Spurs were playing like utter shithouses and it looked like it would be a scrappy game, which is what Jose wanted. Thankfully we grew more into the game second half and let our football do the talking. We are capable of playing like that and we have a good squad, despite some constantly trying to play it down.

rotherham_red

Yeah I guess you're right. Especially Pogba seems like the kind of player who would like to rub it in into the face of a hostile manager (and he kind of did yesterday ^^). Nevertheless, the match enables us to evaluate performances a little bit better. Because as you say, maybe the motivation is also a topic. Probably not a major one but it could play a role even though you would expect being top of the league would also work as a strong motivator which it didn't seem to be back in January.

Also - you mentioned "taking the next step in its development", what do you think this is?

Who says it isn't? That's the thing isn't it - it is similar to one of the core questions of this thread "is it possible to get more out of this squad". We just don't know if the answer is yes or no, unprovable. To just put the great performance down to our players being agitated, I feel it takes something away from yesterdays achievements. We made use of the ball, we played with it. AWB was more committed, Fred was more involved and slightly closer to goal. Yesterdays performance isn't just down to "being motivated" for me. Look at the disallowed goal, it was a mostly nothing situation but Cavani attacked a space, gained a metre and Pogba played a simple pass into space, bamm goal. Stuff like that is usually missing from our play.

Don't think I said that. He is doing a good job and exceeds expectations. In some aspects he is doing a very good job. Doesn't mean that I shouldn't point out, what I might miss and also point out hollow praise when I feel it is due. You also felt the need to accuse me of things (see below) so... I guess it is the same situation isn't it?

Changes were visible in 1st half as well. I agree, being somewhat riled up has certainly played a part in our great performance. The actual extent is (like everything) debatable.

100% agree, we kept our cool, kudos to the players and the manager.

I wouldn't come to this conclusion after the match seeing that Pogba was deployed in a somewhat unorthodox manner and we definitely weren't as direct as usual so I think, there is more to that performance than "mostly" man management. But I understand what you mean, it is a legit stance.

I get some RAWK vibes here... I don't like that. Shithousery is shit, bad refs are shit, stupid implementation of VAR is shit. But it is shit for everybody so it evens out. I'd be the first to support changes to prevent some things but nobody asks me so I accept it as part of the game, one that effects everybody.

Cheap shot. I could also disappear after a good performance and not say anything. But no, I display my happiness and being proud but the mind police is ready to accuse people of "being not sincere enough". Well done. Way to go to find a way out of the rampant tribalism around here. Let's just not do it, we are better off without it.
The next step is seeing what we saw yesterday on a more consistent basis and having a more balanced squad and first XI where both the left and right hand sides of the pitch can contribute. This squad is still really imbalanced and none of the issues it had this time last season were addressed in last summer's transfer window. For Ole to have us as comfortable as we are, and for him to be on track to achieving the targets I had set for him IF he had got Sancho in, is a massive testament to both himself and the players, and they deserve all the credit in the world, especially after that shocking start with no preseason.

Now, when I talk about a more balanced squad, I mean this: you saw the impact of just having an AWB who was engaged on the offensive end had on us in the second half yesterday. Now, imagine if he had a RW to establish a relationship with and play off of. The difference to how the team would play would be immense, and I'm sure you'd see a commensurate impact on AWB's defensive numbers as well, because right now he's left to run one flank all on his own. Likewise, imagine if we had a 6 who has a competent (let alone great) passing range, freeing up Pogba (or VdB if the former left) to play where he feels best within the team structure? Or a CB with recovery pace who would allow us to play a high line.

Ole hasn't had any of those and he's still using what were essentially cast offs and squad players from the Jose era. All the main players from that squad who finished 2nd in 2018 have either been sold sidelined. And yet, he has us on the right track. It hasn't been pretty the last couple of months, but honestly, I don't care because a) the fatigue of playing every three days and the knock on effect of not having any time to work on the coaching (the preparation for the game yesterday was literally done via video), and b) this squad has clear limitations and a cap, which while Ole has done well to raise the floor and ceiling of it, is still one that can't be trusted to be consistent enough in its application week in and week out.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
This.

It also worth noting that we (like everyone else) are hugely reliant on a couple of key players producing the goods as well. For example having Pogba, Bruno and Rashford plying their very best makes a massive difference compared to if they are playing poorly. Pogba in particular fluctuates between world class and downright liability, and whichever version of him you get tend to have a big impact on the game

crossy1686

career ending
We were great yesterday but that's largely down to the fact the players were massively pissed off at Spurs antics and the disallowed goal. That seemed to put a rocket up their arse in the second half.

Realistically, we can't expect that level of performance week in week out, especially when we're competing for nothing. I think Ole's done a great job to get them playing consistently but that collective sense of 'feck you' they had yesterday needs to be found more often by the players if we're to win anything. Former United teams would enter the pitch with that vibe from kick off. If Ole can get that culture again, we're fecking set.

romufc

Maybe this is the reason why our performance looked not that good in the first half, we have no time to be directly against and the opponent and adjusted the set up. We were just watched youtube or something like that to play with Jose's team.
I saw a stat the other day, Manutd are the only team to have had a midweek game for every week of the season.

This really limits time to work on things on the training ground, most of the times inbetween games goes for rest / fitness and match preparation, hardly time to work on patterns.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Its unrealistic because, removing the fatigue element of this entirely, that was still 45 minutes of this team being at the absolute top of our game and as we know nobody ever plays at the top of their game consistently.

A lot of the things that you have described above as positives of the second half, and many other things that we did well besides (or at least better than usual) are things that footballers struggle more with when fatigued. The sharpness in movement and mind, the concentration and fitness that allows a player to be where he's been instructed to be in a given moment, the extra 5% of strength in a tackle etc etc. I know from playing myself that these things quickly desert you when you are tired. For me, the adrenaline surge from the injustice the team felt helped us put that performance together.

What's great about yesterday, apart from the 3 points, is that its a reminder to the players and the fans about what this team are capable of. There has been far too much criticism about our style of play and nowhere near enough consideration given to the circumstances, or the challenges that our schedule has put upon us. IMO we have been deliberately playing within ourselves at times to manage the games and preserve our fitness levels. Yesterday was evidence that our ceiling is still very high, but it would be unfair to now use that as a negative whenever we cannot reach those heights.

youngrell

I really hope we can bottle the mentality we showed yesterday after the injustice of the disallowed goal.

We had a spell of about 5-10 minutes were there was some petulance right after it, but I did like the aggression we showed in both our retaliation and most importantly the way we played.

Both the manager and the players realised that the best way was to completely kick their arse in a game of football.

Cavani and Pogba pleased me especially. For two players supposedly looking at leaving, they sure showed some fight and determination to right the wrongs.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I’m naive as hell and drunk off fatigue - but does anyone get a little excited at the prospect of us being 8 points behind if we win our game in hand.

Imagine if City slip up :drool:

Odin

I am Norwegian!
But a skjær may also be a small island.
"Skjær" to my knowledge has a number of meanings in Norwegian. I translated to English the ones I found on a Norwegian wiki-page:
- "skerry" or "skerries"
- "cut" (as a command)
- "blade" (tool or part thereof)
- "pure"/"real"
- "tone" (of colour)
- while skating, each forced move with one skate makes one "skjær" (sadly I don't know the English noun for it)
- "bright", "pretty", "frail".

Most important in this context however is another translation of "skjær" in relation to light (and "sun") which in English would be "sheen" or "shine". So, yeah, "sunshine" and "sunskerries" are the two most likely literal translations.

Status
Not open for further replies.