g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxbatt

I could be wrong but didn't play Giggs from the right in the CL Final 99?
Beckham played in the centre too in 99. I mean they played regularly in those positions because it was best for the team and not as individually. Ole even played as a right winger instead of Becks. The point I want to make is that RW is not a position that needs to be urgently addressed by buying a new player. But a DM, CF and even a CB needs to be bought. Ole can make these players play on the right wing for now instead of trying to get them to be pseudo strikers.

always_hoping

2nd place and 8 points better off than last season. Happy enough with the progress made this season and it would be more that 8 points better off if the foot wasn't let off the gas after the match v Villa. Most impressive was going unbeaten away all season, beating City 2-0 clearly the highlight in that run.

Winning the Europa league (fingers crossed) will make it Uniteds best season since Ferguson retired.

Chelsea in comparison 4th for the 2nd season in a row a just 1 point better off (66 v 67) but of course they have the opportunity of winning the CL.

el3mel

As I said I'm mostly pretty pleased with this season, apart from our reaction for going top of the table and our CL debacle. Otherwise our league campaign has been mostly consistent and we had a solid run in all other cups, with a chance of winning one (even if this one came thanks to our CL failure).

A lot of things to like about us this season. I really liked the link showing on the pitch between Cavani, Pogba and Bruno. I feel like we need to benefit from this link more next season if we want to challenge for the title. Our mentality in coming back from losses were top notch and it proves Ole can get a reaction out of these players. Of course though, we'll need to improve our form starting the games next season.

I also liked how ruthless we're becoming in many games after getting the lead and always wanting to add more goals. It was fun seeing United winning by 5, 9 and 6 multiple times this season. A kind of mentality that wasn't present last few seasons.

I'm not Ole's biggest fan, but at the same time I will never want a managerial change as long as I see the results being quite good and us on the right track. Managers at the end live or die by their results, and I think we're improving in this regard really well under Ole, so absolutely no reason at the moment to think about a change.

This season was quite a pretty good step forward for us on the right track in many things but at the same time there're things we'll have to improve to challenge for the title next season. Next season challenging for the title is a must imo. This is the only kind of improvement you can expect after finishing top 3 two seasons in a row. Ole will have to show that he can take us one more step forward and challenge for the big trophies. Europe League will be nice, but with the current squad and quality we have, we should challenge for the league and at least reach QF next season.

Hopefully we win EL and have a strong season next year. For this season I will rate it an 8 if we win EL and 7 if we don't.

Withnail

2nd place and 8 points better off than last season. Happy enough with the progress made this season and it would be more that 8 points better off if the foot wasn't let off the gas after the match v Villa. Most impressive was going unbeaten away all season, beating City 2-0 clearly the highlight in that run.

Winning the Europa league (fingers crossed) will make it Uniteds best season since Ferguson retired.

Chelsea in comparison 4th for the 2nd season in a row a just 1 point better off (66 v 67) but of course they have the opportunity of winning the CL.
Yeah people will say we only finished 5 pts ahead of Liverpool but if we had anything to play for I'm sure it would have been more.

Win the Europa and it's the best season since Fergie left. Some really promising performances from the young lads today so with a good transfer window we'll be in good shape going into next season.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I agree to a point. We aren't going to catch Liverpool up immediately, anyone who think we're a signing or two away from launching a title challenge is living a fantasy. But we aren't too far away from becoming a very good team who can finish Top 3, that should be the first milestone, once we've got that then we can think about launching a title challenge.

Bringing in a new Manager won't make us title challengers either for what it's worth. We're still rebuilding, 70-75 points in the League should be our objective next year. That doesn't seem too unrealistic to me as we're certainly better defensively this year and Bruno has currently helped our team in the final third (whether he can continue this form is a different question). If Sancho did join us it would be a huge step in the right direction though.
Made this post back in March 2020. Obviously depends on our Summer window, but as of now with the team growing I think reaching a points total of 80-85 should be realistic next season. There's clear areas of improvement, we've been on several very good runs of form this season getting us a nice run of results. Our performances have been short on the whole and we do seem to get complacent against teams that we deem beneath us. This needs to change next year.

Personally, I hope Ole decides to give a different CB a go alongside Maguire. Be that Tuanzebe, Bailly (hopefully not) or a new signing. Lindelof doesn't seem to be the answer long term, he just has too many flaws to his game and we get punished aerially far too often when he's in the side. Big decision to come by Ole on the goalkeeping situation though. Either way, 1 more game to go, win the Europa Final and this will be a decent season with signs of real progression.

Mickson

Very good from him today. Good and brave team selection, good subs (although a bit late) and impressive to win today with that team. I thought his players were good and focused for 90 minutes. I liked the change in positions from our forwards, they had Wolves worried.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Made this post back in March 2020. Obviously depends on our Summer window, but as of now with the team growing I think reaching a points total of 80-85 should be realistic next season. There's clear areas of improvement, we've been on several very good runs of form this season getting us a nice run of results. Our performances have been short on the whole and we do seem to get complacent against teams that we deem beneath us. This needs to change next year.

Personally, I hope Ole decides to give a different CB a go alongside Maguire. Be that Tuanzebe, Bailly (hopefully not) or a new signing. Lindelof doesn't seem to be the answer long term, he just has too many flaws to his game and we get punished aerially far too often when he's in the side. Big decision to come by Ole on the goalkeeping situation though. Either way, 1 more game to go, win the Europa Final and this will be a decent season with signs of real progression.
This. How many times have we fallen asleep and let a worse team score first? 12? 15? I like a good comeback as much as the next fan, but you wont win the league that way

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Done well, will be another big challenge to take on Liverpool/City next year. Win the Europe League, get an extension, good summer to further build.

Idxomer

One of the few times under him he changed most of the team and we had a good performance, well done.

Paul_Scholes18

The big test now. We should really win this final, but it is not easy. Ole needs to get the tactics right and bring in the right mentality.

Olecurls99

Played some lovely stuff today. That's what happens when you play Donny instead of Mctominay and Amad instead of Rashford. Better technical players will end up playing better football.

Really impressed with Amad tonight. The boys got serious ability.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Played some lovely stuff today. That's what happens when you play Donny instead of Mctominay and Amad instead of Rashford. Better technical players will end up playing better football.

:lol: Amad is not technically superior to Rashford. People need to learn to appreciate squad players doing well without the need to put down first teamers.

Withnail

We do have to factor in that this was a no-pressure game. Amad showed promise but Rashford is the better player right now. Donny has had chances and didn't perform as well as today. Hopefully, he kicks on next season.

Olecurls99

:lol: Amad is not technically superior to Rashford. People need to learn to appreciate squad players doing well without the need to put down first teamers.
He most certainly is technically superior. He's not a better player but he's clearly better technically.

Olecurls99

We do have to factor in that this was a no-pressure game. Amad showed promise but Rashford is the better player right now. Donny has had chances and didn't perform as well as today. Hopefully, he kicks on next season.
Yep but I think we've found Donny's position.

Absolutely Rashford is the better player. There's no doubt about it but Amad showed a lot today. Looking forward to next year.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
He most certainly is technically superior. He's not a better player but he's clearly better technically.
Just because you repeat it with certainty doesn’t make it true. Amad’s a nice player and had some good moments in the game, but what exactly has he shown technically that we haven’t seen from Marcus 10 times over? This weird disrespect of Rashford has to stop now at least in a so called United forum.

Olecurls99

Just because you repeat it with certainty doesn’t make it true. Amad’s a nice player and had some good moments in the game, but what exactly has he shown technically that we haven’t seen from Marcus 10 times over? This weird disrespect of Rashford has to stop now at least in a so called United forum.
I'm not disrespecting him. He's a fantastic player.

His main asset is his blistering pace though. His technique is definitely not cutting edge whereas I think that might be said of Amad.

Mata has better technique than Rashford. Saying that doesn't mean I'm disrespecting him.

Anyway back to Ole. Bring home the bacon gaffer.

Last edited:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Overall, what this season has developed is that we have a bunch of match winners now, rather than trying to depend on one or two only in the past since our post-Fergie era.
Mason, Bruno, Cavani, Rashford, Martial, and to a lesser degree Pogba. Then we integrate some evolving talent from the academy and bob's your uncle.

All our successful teams always had multiple match winners.

Cast5

Overall, what this season has developed is that we have a bunch of match winners now, rather than trying to depend on one or two only in the past since our post-Fergie era.
Mason, Bruno, Cavani, Rashford, Martial, and to a lesser degree Pogba. Then we integrate some evolving talent from the academy and bob's your uncle.

All our successful teams always had multiple match winners.
Pogba is less of a match winner than Martial?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Amad instead of Rashford :lol:

How dim do people really want to be.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

This is some serious grass is greener syndrome. Amad is not a more technical, or remotely better player than Rashford. He's a talent, not King Jesus Messi.

CG1010

Never said that. Just said he had better technique
Even that, it is serious underrating of Rashford. Amad might prove to be a better player even technically eventually but we have seen very little of him against top opposition to conclude this. While Rashford has destroyed many top CBs in the world through his skill set. Just this season, he destroyed Redcafe's flavour of the year CBs against Leipzeig in just one half. Just because he tailed off at the end of the season (there is a lingering injury there) we shouldn't criticise him so much. Mark my words even if Sancho comes to United, Rashford will be able to keep his place and it would be Sancho vs Greenwood vs Amad for the other wing.

Ludens the Red

Really liked his post match wolves interview. The reporter kind of set him up to blow smoke up his own arse about our yearly improvements but Ole was quick to say we need more consistency in the league. A massive difference from Mourinho saying 2nd was his greatest achievement.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Terrible game management. He didn't give a feck about winning once we went into ET.

Greenwood was out best attacker and he subbed him off. He didn't create a single chance after he was subbed and somehow played Rashford who was stinking the place full game.

spiriticon

That was an absolute disasterclass in single game management.

Sorry Ole, you did well this season but the lack of experience in cup finals was too evident.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Never a Man United manager but progress! Kicked out by Sevilla in the semi-final last year, Villareal in the final this year. Eyes on the progress guys.

mu4c_20le

Terrible game management. He didn't give a feck about winning once we went into ET.

Greenwood was out best attacker and he subbed him off. He didn't create a single chance after he was subbed and somehow played Rashford who was stinking the place full game.
Greenwood looked knackered, and Rashford was more likely to pull something out of a hat than Dan James or Mata. Simple as that

reddevilchennai

Should be sacked after this performance. Rashford should have been subbed after terrible 1st half performance. But he played till the end.

Based Adnan

I'm Ole in but he horribly mismanaged the game tonight. Not making a sub till the 100th fecking min and not having the bottle to swap keepers for the shoot out.

Status
Not open for further replies.