Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Your fellow Ole-outter, @Mainoldo , wants a Tuchel type manager, I was pointing out that, without the oil money, Tuchel has won only one cup. Then you've got guys like @pocco and @UnofficialDevil who are moaning because he's spent money to improve the team. Ole can't win with you lot, but you'll be the first celebrating when we win something
What are you talking about? How much did Tuchel spend to win Chelsea the CL? Where were they in the league when he took over? You make out as thought he spent millions (or even anything) at Chelsea.

lex talionis

He's not really that young though. Not when he's getting compared to Lampard.
No, Ole is not young. But he is younger that most of his successful peers, although Tuchel is younger by a year.

The broader point is that Ole has done enough to deserve another season as United manager. Those who have long knives out for Ole have a point, as do those who have given him the benefit of the doubt to see us through the start of another season.

Ole In for me right now, but if we're still mired in a cupless dystopia next May we'll definitely need to look at someone new come next summer. It's a cruel business, mates.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
What are you talking about? How much did Tuchel spend to win Chelsea the CL? Where were they in the league when he took over? You make out as thought he spent millions (or even anything) at Chelsea.
I'm not saying he's a bad manager, but you guys are really down on Ole, who, with a less expensive team than Tuchel, has got us to a bunch of semi finals, a final, 3rd and 2nd in the league.

Every year most clubs and managers don't win anything, but there is obvious progression under Ole, so I don't understand why you want to tinker with it.

Womp

idiot
He's not good enough, there hasn't been nearly enough improvement particularly from the actual quality of our football. We will be better this year as we will strengthen the team, but there will always be question marks about whether a progressive coach could get more out of our players.

Regardless, he's obviously staying so complaining about it is pointless, all we can hope is that he proves us wrong and we do well.

hobbers

Every year most clubs and managers don't win anything, but there is obvious progression under Ole, so I don't understand why you want to tinker with it.
Except it's anything but obvious.

Our best spells of football and results under Ole, by far, were the periods before he got the contract and after the first lockdown. Our football this entire season has been far below the standard we saw in either period. How is that progress?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Your fellow Ole-outter, @Mainoldo , wants a Tuchel type manager, I was pointing out that, without the oil money, Tuchel has won only one cup. Then you've got guys like @pocco and @UnofficialDevil who are moaning because he's spent money to improve the team. Ole can't win with you lot, but you'll be the first celebrating when we win something
What a weird way to put it when comparing him to Ole. Chelsea finished lower than us in the league, there isn' t much between the two teams, and he hasn't spend a penny of that oil money. Yet he did a smashing job and won them the CL. Let's not be foolish and compare him to Ole.

Oldyella

No, Ole is not young. But he is younger that most of his successful peers, although Tuchel is younger by a year.

The broader point is that Ole has done enough to deserve another season as United manager. Those who have long knives out for Ole have a point, as do those who have given him the benefit of the doubt to see us through the start of another season.

Ole In for me right now, but if we're still mired in a cupless dystopia next May we'll definitely need to look at someone new come next summer. It's a cruel business, mates.
That's exactly where I am as well. He deserves this year coming but we need to see him get us over the line and pick up a trophy, or really push in a title challenge.

CG1010

What a weird way to put it when comparing him to Ole. Chelsea finished lower than us in the league, there isn' t much between the two teams, and he hasn't spend a penny of that oil money. Yet he did a smashing job and won them the CL. Let's not be foolish and compare him to Ole.
We can compare him and Ole and at the moment their times in England, Tuchel is ahead obviously but next season he has to finish above Ole to seal the deal in my opinion.

Peter van der Gea

Except it's anything but obvious.

Our best spells of football and results under Ole, by far, were the periods before he got the contract and after the first lockdown. Our football this entire season has been far below the standard we saw in either period. How is that progress?
If our best spells were so long ago, how the feck did we end up 2nd in the league, in two semi finals and one final. We also scored 9 goals in a match, the first time since 1995.

I know some people don't like Ole for some reason, but you can't argue with the results. Ole hasn't sacked off a single competition and kept us competitive on all fronts by managing the squad. It might not always be attractive, but it's efficient.

Peter van der Gea

He did do a smashing job to win the Champions League, he beat, what, 4 teams to win it? Athletico, Porto, Real and Chelsea. With a squad worth £200 million more than United's, according to TransferMarkt.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
So every manager should be without scrutiny until they decide when their team is ready ie when they win things? Is there not a point where it is safe to say they've spent enough and have a lot at their disposal to have their team looking better than they are? I don't know why I'm asking, that's been the case for every football manager ever.
You have to look at the situation. The team that we had last season were not good enough to compete with City side over a full league season. In one-off games we were their equal, but the strength of the squad showed through over a season, so was it realistic to expect us to win the title? Not in my opinion. Second was a strong achievement, enough to warrant another season for the manager which naturally will also mean another transfer window to try to improve the team, just like all of our competitors will be looking to do too.

amolbhatia50k

We can compare him and Ole and at the moment their times in England, Tuchel is ahead obviously but next season he has to finish above Ole to seal the deal in my opinion.
:lol: No he doesn't. He's won the CL. He's achieved greatness for Chelsea that will be long remembered given his CL win is half their tally as a club. Ole has done nothing of the sort.

Your opinion makes no sense. A big clubs legacy is built on major honors whether they finished 4th (oh no) or 2nd (yaay).

amolbhatia50k

He did do a smashing job to win the Champions League, he beat, what, 4 teams to win it? Athletico, Porto, Real and Chelsea. With a squad worth £200 million more than United's, according to TransferMarkt.
I think it's pretty incredible that he beat his own team on the final. Atletico are Spain's best team. Real Madrid are real Madrid. And City were the best team across Europe last season. So if you're trying discredit Tuchel you're doing a really poor job of it by managing to give him credit instead.

CG1010

:lol: No he doesn't. He's won the CL. He's achieved greatness for Chelsea that will be long remembered given his CL win is half their tally as a club. Ole has done nothing of the sort.

Your opinion makes no sense. A big clubs legacy is built on major honors whether they finished 4th (oh no) or 2nd (yaay).
I am sure Chelsea fans see Di Matteo in the same light then :rolleyes: Anyways my point wasn't about "legacy" or "how manager is remembered", it was about who is a better manager. Cup runs can be dependent on various things but if (and its a big IF) he can't finish above Ole in a proper full season despite having a similar or better team, then people will still question him.

As for Ole, he will "be remembered" atleast as someone who steadied the ship and built a proper team. Now whether he is able to win something with us remains to be seen, although you are very sure that he wont'.

Peter van der Gea

I think it's pretty incredible that he beat his own team on the final. Atletico are Spain's best team. Real Madrid are real Madrid. And City were the best team across Europe last season. So if you're trying discredit Tuchel you're doing a really poor job of it by managing to give him credit instead.
Sorry, wrong petrol club.

I'm not trying to discredit Tuchel, I'm just pointing out that the yardstick used to measure him is massively different from the yardstick used to measure Ole.

People said they wanted a Tuchel type manager and I'm trying to find out why.

Tuchel is an amazing manager, he wouldn't be in his job now otherwise, but if you look at it objectively, Ole does stack up to all of his peers and is doing a great job with a lesser squad. Which of the top four's squad is worth less than United's?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Pep spends that on left backs
And if Ole had half of Peps track record no one at our club would have a problem with it, instead we keep spending fortunes on players only to keep spending more money for those players to become effective. Pogba and Maquire being the 2 prime examples. 2 World record signings I may add.

amolbhatia50k

I am sure Chelsea fans see Di Matteo in the same light then :rolleyes: Anyways my point wasn't about "legacy" or "how manager is remembered", it was about who is a better manager.
That is even stronger in Tuchels favour. He did well at the top level before which is why he has a big reputation, and at Chelsea he transformed them culminating them in a CL win. That's more in 6 months than Ole did in 3 years. The comparison is a bit laughable really.

amolbhatia50k

I'm not trying to discredit Tuchel, I'm just pointing out that the yardstick used to measure him is massively different from the yardstick used to measure Ole.

Tuchel is an amazing manager, he wouldn't be in his job now otherwise, but if you look at it objectively, Ole does stack up to all of his peers and is doing a great job with a lesser squad. Which of the top four's squad is worth less than United's?
Yeah because he's a renowned manager at a club that has real expectations, he is expected to win trophies. People were talking about him getting the sack if he didn't win the final FFS.

If Ole made a CL final, forget win one, we'd be building him a statue and our fans would be worshipping him.

Ludens the Red

No trophies in three years is a “great job”? Interesting take.
People probably said they wanted a Tuchel type manager because he’s very well rounded. Seems to have nailed both the man management and tactical sides of coaching. Unfortunately if you want to compete with the best you need both and not just one.
Also it’s difficult to use the “poor me” excuse when you spend a combined 175 million on Wan Bissaka, Maguire and Van de Beek. The first two have done alright for us but that’s a long way away from being the best use of 175 million pounds of transfer fees.

Sweet Square

No trophies in three years is a “great job”? Interesting take.
People probably said they wanted a Tuchel type manager because he’s very well rounded. Seems to have nailed both the man management and tactical sides of coaching. Unfortunately if you want to compete with the best you need both and not just one.
Also it’s difficult to use the “poor me” excuse when you spend a combined 175 million on Wan Bissaka, Maguire and Van de Beek. The first two have done alright for us but that’s a long way away from being the best use of 175 million pounds of transfer fees.
People want Tuchel because he has just won the CL while also forgetting he lost the FA Cup final and needed Leicester to feck up in order to finish in the top 4. Rarely did anyone mention him as a potential United manager while he was at PSG.

Great coach but let's be honest about why the more insane posters want him here.

Ludens the Red

People want Tuchel because he has just won the CL while also forgetting he lost the FA Cup final and needed Leicester to feck up in order to finish in the top 4. Rarely did anyone mention him as a potential United manager while he was at PSG.

Great coach but let's be honest about why the more insane posters want him here.
You’re being a bit little disingenuous there. “Tuchel type” not actually Tuchel specifically. Tuchel obviously falls into this breed of current popular young managers. See Rose, Nagelsmann, Potter, Poch etc

hobbers

If our best spells were so long ago, how the feck did we end up 2nd in the league, in two semi finals and one final. We also scored 9 goals in a match, the first time since 1995.

I know some people don't like Ole for some reason, but you can't argue with the results. Ole hasn't sacked off a single competition and kept us competitive on all fronts by managing the squad. It might not always be attractive, but it's efficient.
9 goals in one match is irrelevant in the context of a full season. We also lost 6-1 to Spurs.

Nobody is arguing with the results, because the results have been poor relative to the demands and expectations. And side note - talk about not sacking off competitions... errr.... Champions League?

We didn't get to two semi finals. We got to a semi final, a quarter final and the EL final and lost them all. No improvement on the previous season, where we got to three semi finals and lost them all. We finished 8 points better off than last season but our results against the other big 6 were far, far worse, and we're only in second because every other big team other than City had implosions for one reason or another. In most other seasons 74 points would see us fighting for the top four in the final game, not comfortably second with 3 weeks to spare.

Compared with the financial outlay we've seen nowhere near enough of an improvement since Ole's period as interim manager. And all the improvement we have seen has come from the introduction of Bruno and his individual brilliance.

Sweet Square

You’re being a bit little disingenuous there. “Tuchel type” not actually Tuchel specifically. Tuchel obviously falls into this breed of current popular young managers. See Rose, Nagelsmann, Potter, Poch etc
What does it mean for someone to be a ''Tuchel type'' of manager ?

It seems at the moment to be marketing and age. Which the second part doesn't really work because Ole is a year young than Poch, it can't be style of ''philosophy'' because Tuchel had people on here calling him Van Gaal 2.0 during the season and it can't be trophies because Poch, Nagelsmann and Potter haven't won any. fecking hell Ole fits the description pretty well! Also I'm not one to defend Sean Dyche but he is under 50 and spent less money than Brighton while finishing hiring up in the league(Pretty sure that correct), why not just put him in here as well ?

Imo It seems a pretty meaningless term.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
No improvement on the previous season
With the exception of reaching a European final. Which last time I checked was better than a Semi.

It was also our highest scoring season from the past 10 seasons (all comps). It's clear as day though that our defense let us down big time last season and if, IF we did bring in Varane and with the addition of (if again) Sancho then Ole will have zero excuses remaining. Although I will say that if Ole is sacked next season our squad will be significantly stronger and in a much better state than when he left it. I still think we need a new tactical coach too, but doubtful he'll bring someone in.

It seems at the moment to be marketing and age. Which the second part doesn't really work because Ole is a year young than Poch, it can't be style of ''philosophy'' because Tuchel had people on here calling him Van Gaal 2.0 during the season and it can't be trophies because Poch, Nagelsmann and Potter haven't won any. fecking hell Ole fits the description pretty well! Also I'm not one to defend Sean Dyche but he is under 50 and spent less money than Brighton while finishing hiring up in the league(Pretty sure that correct), why not just put him in here as well ?

Poch has won two trophies with PSG so far

Ludens the Red

Come on man :lol: I’m sure you’ve watched enough football beyond this year to know that Poch, Tuchel, Nagelsmann and Potter are very different coaches to people like Ole, Dyche etc and the styles they’ve implemented are more popular with football watchers who require more aesthetically pleasing football.

b82REZ

What is a Tuchel type manager?

A manager who wins things?

Us selfish United fans who would like us to win something again. We truly are an embarrassment to the club :rolleyes:.

Sweet Square

Come on man :lol: I’m sure you’ve watched enough football beyond this year to know that Poch, Tuchel, Nagelsmann and Potter are very different coaches to people like Ole, Dyche etc and the styles they’ve implemented are more popular with football watchers who require more aesthetically pleasing football.
I've watch enough football to know that there's nothing to link Poch, Tuchel and Nagelsmann together. At best it seems to be they aren't Ole which seems a useless way to group managers together imo.

the styles they’ve implemented are more popular with football watchers who require more aesthetically pleasing football.
Thomas ‘van Gaal’ Tuchel
It seems Thomas Tuchel doesn't fit the description of a Tuchel type manager! It's just pure marketing which is fine but also a bit of silly. Oh protect Dyche at all cost!

Last edited:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Changing managers now would be totally unfair on Ole. We obviously gotta make the leap to winners this year in some cup and stay challenging in the league till the end. If we get the signings we are linked with i fancy us to do very well and surprise quite a few people

Fair play Poch won the french fa cup
Poor bastard probably thought that was the beginning of a dynasty. The new Sir Alex Ferguson. Arise Sir Davey Moyes!

Last edited:

Ludens the Red

I've watch enough football to know that there's nothing to link Poch, Tuchel and Nagelsmann together. At best it seems to be they aren't Ole which seems a useless way to group managers together imo.

It seems Thomas Tuchel doesn't fit the description of a Tuchel type manager! It's just pure marketing which is fine but also a bit of silly. Oh protect Dyche at all cost!
Its pretty obvious that they have similarities in their efficiency and the stylistic way in which they set their teams up. They’re young and they’ve also overachieved as managers at differing points in their career. I mean these things are patently fecking obvious. Put away your comedy Ole bias and accept what the majority of the football world think.
This is why these guys get linked with big jobs whenever they become available but Ole, Sean Dyche and whomever doesn’t. Cynics would label these kind of managers “hipster managers”.

I’m unsure what relevance that quote from me poking fun at Chelsea and Tuchel drawing a few games 0-0 back in March has to do with anything. Is that meant to be one of those moments where you quote someone’s old post to try and make a point?
I’ve also previously made fun of Guardiola and Klopp.

Status
Not open for further replies.