Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ole has been backed and I’m not complaining, but both Kloop and Pep have spent more money in a two year period then Ole.
Guardiola is backed by a state, so we shouldn't expect to match him with self generated funds but rather with excellent scouting and hence being a little shrewder in the transfer market.

Klopp and Liverpool took full advantage of selling Coutinho for the reported £140m, which improved his team significantly. But even in Klopp's first season in charge, it was clear to see Liverpool were starting to play a high tempo, fast transition play style which was very evident to see. His team improved every season stylistically and tactically which of course was aided by better players. But let's not forget that Klopp had implemented his concept on the team very early and his team evolved every season and eventually won the league and UCL after threatening to do just that in the preceding years.

As far as Ole is concerned, I do believe he's done a better job than both LVG and Mourinho, even with out winning a trophy. I say that because he's provided stability and has embraced working within a transfer committee along with Bout, Lawlor and Court, which Mourinho had problems with, which resulted in him going into self sabotage mode which saw a United squad that finished 2nd, quickly go into free fall.

With Ole I understand there's reservations because he doesn't coach the team and leaves that to others among other things. But for me he's done a better job than his predecessors (LVG&Mou) due to the club being much better run if one looks at things holistically. The likes of Murtough, Bout, Court, and Lawlor also deserve huge credit because their influence grew at the tail end of Mourinho's reign as manager after Woodward had agreed to a recruitment model (transfer committe) which finally gave the club's recruitment heads significant power in first team recruitment, to which Mourinho self imploded.

Last edited:

el3mel

Its a poor record for a cub hoping to challenge for major titles

What happened to attacking the post and not the poster? Behave
Funny. I had been into an argument with this guy about 2 years ago back then he also insulted me and I refused to reply, reporting him to the mods and they told both of us to ignore each other. I have since ignored him and forgot about his existence. To actually discover now that he's still obsessed with insulting me is hilarious and speaks more about him rather than me.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know he insulted me - again - by quoting his post. I will report him.

United in sin

Funny. I had been into an argument with this guy about 2 years ago back then he also insulted me and I refused to reply, reporting him to the mods and they told both of us to ignore each other. I have since ignored him and forgot about his existence. To actually discover now that he's still obsessed with insulting me is hilarious and speaks more about him rather than me.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know he insulted me - again - by quoting his post. I will report him.
Anything to help haha. Looks like the rules are loose for certain posters. How does he get away with insulting others without facing 'consequences'?

Polar

Its a poor record for a cub hoping to challenge for major titles
Agree clubs usually don’t win PL with that number goals conceded, but I’m not sure these numbers give us all answers, example our attacking players are great and our defenders are bad.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Seriously :houllier: ?? At first glance theses numbers seems pretty descent, but from a theoretical standpoint I’m sure you are able to twist and turn on everything..
It's decent if you're a top 6 team scratching around each season from crumbs. But Ole, United and the fans want to win trophies and to do that we have to be better defensively, you can't gift stupid goals to the opposition.

Season​
Games​
GF​
GA​
Goals Conceded Per Game​
20-21​
61​
121​
68​
1.1​
19-20​
61​
112​
51​
0.8​
18-19​
53​
85​
70​
1.3​
17-18​
56​
101​
40​
0.7​
16-17​
64​
105​
46​
0.7​
15-16​
59​
87​
54​
0.9​
14-15​
44​
71​
44​
1.0​
13-14​
55​
94​
57​
1.0​

It's a poor record, if we want to win trophies it has to improve. This is why replacing Lindelof was the top priority for me as he made far too many defensive errors last season. To put it into perspective, here is Peps record at City, remember this is all comps so Peps City will have faced CL teams every season unlike us where we've flopped in and out of the CL. If you want to compare PL stats its significantly worse reading as we've generally got a very good defensive record in Europa.
Season​
Games​
GF​
GA​
Goals Conceded Per Game​
20-21​
61​
131​
42​
0.7​
19-20​
58​
148​
57​
1.0​
18-19​
61​
169​
39​
0.6​
17-18​
57​
143​
46​
0.8​
16-17​
56​
122​
60​
1.1​

That's the bar we have to match if we want to compete.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Not as bad as the disaster class of 18-19, but 3rd worst defensive stats in the last 20 seasons. Clearly it was a poor season, not really sure how you can debate otherwise. On the flip side, it was the highest goals scored (by 5 goals) than any season since Sir Alex retired.

Season​
GF​
GA​
18-19​
65​
54​
1-2​
87​
45​
20-21​
73​
44​
13-14​
64​
43​
12-13​
86​
43​
14-15​
62​
37​
10-11​
78​
37​
19-20​
66​
36​
15-16​
49​
35​
3-4​
64​
35​
5-6​
72​
34​
2-3​
74​
34​
11-12​
89​
33​
16-17​
54​
29​
17-18​
68​
28​
9-10​
86​
28​
6-7​
83​
27​
4-5​
58​
26​
8-9​
68​
24​
7-8​
80​
22​

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Appreciate the numbers Redsky. Also any reason we haven't got a new thread for Ole like everyone else ?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Appreciate the numbers Redsky. Also any reason we haven't got a new thread for Ole like everyone else ?
All the previous managers have had one main thread. This isn't a 'players performance' thread but only got moved here because weirdos couldn't stop bumping it during games.

rotherham_red

Anything to help haha. Looks like the rules are loose for certain posters. How does he get away with insulting others without facing 'consequences'?
Sorry, but who are you? Kindly go back to the newbies and work your way up before pulling people up on their posts please.

You are there for a reason after all ;)

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
All the previous managers have had one main thread. This isn't a 'players performance' thread but only got moved here because weirdos couldn't stop bumping it during games.
Then remove the year if it's his general thread. Did people not post in the other managers threads during games as well? Seems a bit sensitive.

Halftrack

Then remove the year if it's his general thread. Did people not post in the other managers threads during games as well? Seems a bit sensitive.
This thread got moved here for the same reason this forum is closed during games: People were incapable of keeping their kneejerking and garbageposting in the Match Day threads, and went on polluting threads that were meant for actual discussion with it.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Yeah it was a bit counterproductive because everyone started posting in the 'would you keep/sack Ole' thread during games instead :lol: I can understand why the performance forum is closed during games but using the same logic it doesn't quite make sense to leave the United forum open.

Polar

It's decent if you're a top 6 team scratching around each season from crumbs. But Ole, United and the fans want to win trophies and to do that we have to be better defensively, you can't gift stupid goals to the opposition.

Season​
Games​
GF​
GA​
Goals Conceded Per Game​
20-21​
61​
121​
68​
1.1​
19-20​
61​
112​
51​
0.8​
18-19​
53​
85​
70​
1.3​
17-18​
56​
101​
40​
0.7​
16-17​
64​
105​
46​
0.7​
15-16​
59​
87​
54​
0.9​
14-15​
44​
71​
44​
1.0​
13-14​
55​
94​
57​
1.0​

It's a poor record, if we want to win trophies it has to improve. This is why replacing Lindelof was the top priority for me as he made far too many defensive errors last season. To put it into perspective, here is Peps record at City, remember this is all comps so Peps City will have faced CL teams every season unlike us where we've flopped in and out of the CL. If you want to compare PL stats its significantly worse reading as we've generally got a very good defensive record in Europa.
Season​
Games​
GF​
GA​
Goals Conceded Per Game​
20-21​
61​
131​
42​
0.7​
19-20​
58​
148​
57​
1.0​
18-19​
61​
169​
39​
0.6​
17-18​
57​
143​
46​
0.8​
16-17​
56​
122​
60​
1.1​

That's the bar we have to match if we want to compete.
Agree we have to improve, but it’s difficult to say what we have to improve the most based on goal statistics. It’s balance that matters.

A) Goalkeepers have to improve. The same can be said about
B) Offensive play on our right side
C) Possession play against low blocks
D) Set pieces (off/def).

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Agree we have to improve, but it’s difficult to say what we have to improve the most based on goal statistics. It’s balance that matters.

A) Goalkeepers have to improve. The same can be said about
B) Offensive play on our right side
C) Possession play against low blocks
D) Set pieces (off/def).
Agreed concerning A), i'm not sure what the club will do this Summer as the noise seemed clear we'd be selling one this Summer yet currently nothing has changed. Personally, i'm dubious on both Henderson and De Gea, both need to be doing a lot more this season to convince me that they're good enough.

Sancho fixes B), i'm convinced he and AWB will have a really good partnership and AWB is slowly improving his attacking game.

Nothing has fixed C) as of yet. We'll still struggle as our midfield partnership isn't good enough.

Varane will be a huge upgrade for D).

Polar

Agreed concerning A), i'm not sure what the club will do this Summer as the noise seemed clear we'd be selling one this Summer yet currently nothing has changed. Personally, i'm dubious on both Henderson and De Gea, both need to be doing a lot more this season to convince me that they're good enough.

Sancho fixes B), i'm convinced he and AWB will have a really good partnership and AWB is slowly improving his attacking game.

Nothing has fixed C) as of yet. We'll still struggle as our midfield partnership isn't good enough.

Varane will be a huge upgrade for D).
Sancho and Varane will definitively improve B and D.

I hope Henderson gets a boost if he is trusted as our nr.1.

4-3-3 with the addition of a new CM will likely improve our possession play. I think 4-3-3 gives us more presence and more passing alternatives in the centre of the pitch.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Are young goalkeepers now supposed to be at their best and show their potential or are there still those goalkeepers that got better when they got old & experienced like back in the day?

I'm genuinely asking because that's where my hopes lie for Henderson. I want Ole to choose him to be number 1 over De Gea simply due to corner weaknesses and hope Henderson can show enough potential/ability to progress and be that experienced goalkeeper that controls his back line.

United in sin

Sorry, but who are you? Kindly go back to the newbies and work your way up before pulling people up on their posts please.

You are there for a reason after all ;)
I'm merely a life long united supporter with a say, good sir :devil:

Last edited:

Matriac

I'm merely a life long united supporter with a say, good sir :devil:
Leave moderation to the mods. If you feel strongly that something is wrong then use the report function.
Tone policing other posters don't go down well on here (or anywhere in life really). And I realize I'm awfully close to that offense myself with this post. But I don't act coy about it.

Olecurls99

Agree clubs usually don’t win PL with that number goals conceded, but I’m not sure these numbers give us all answers, example our attacking players are great and our defenders are bad.
We also scored more goals (121) since 2007

MattofManchester

Last season he was adamant we were not going to challenge City even when we hit first place.
There was also less security that we were out to win trophies.

Seems the narrative has changed a bit.

Sylar

A lot of people have always said, what his style?

I think hes always wanted to play a quick passing game, where we play out the back to drag out opposition (if they are sitting back), or quick counter attack if they are on us.
I really really think we are one DM away from having the full tools for that. Matic makes a difference compared to Fred or McT due to his passing range and being able to pass between the lines. Its unfortunate we cant see him play every game or 90% of it.

With the way Matic drops (compared to fred or mct), and with Varane now, we will see Maguire and Varane as options to split and thus push the full backs higher.

Im excited to see us when we have everybody available, and match fit.

I do hope we have identified a Dm, that isnt a destroyer but one that is clever who can beat press, cover spaces and has a range of passing. That is a big piece imo for us to challenge and compete properly with Ole as manager

NZT-One

A lot of people have always said, what his style?

I think hes always wanted to play a quick passing game, where we play out the back to drag out opposition (if they are sitting back), or quick counter attack if they are on us.
I really really think we are one DM away from having the full tools for that. Matic makes a difference compared to Fred or McT due to his passing range and being able to pass between the lines. Its unfortunate we cant see him play every game or 90% of it.

With the way Matic drops (compared to fred or mct), and with Varane now, we will see Maguire and Varane as options to split and thus push the full backs higher.

Im excited to see us when we have everybody available, and match fit.

I do hope we have identified a Dm, that isnt a destroyer but one that is clever who can beat press, cover spaces and has a range of passing. That is a big piece imo for us to challenge and compete properly with Ole as manager
Agree with the overall statement even though I think, we don't have to have a perfect squad to make it work. There might be other ways to succeed without a new acquisition but sure, the player you describe would do us good (he would be hunted down by all topclubs though except for Chelsea maybe)

What I don't agree with is the style comment. Today none of the new players played, was even in the stadium and we still were able to play a quick passing game throughout the whole match. It was visible even in the last two pre-season matches even with even lesser personal overall. If that is "Oles style" why didn't he apply it last year? Why did we waste some games just by being cautious against teams from the bottom end of the table?

Before we do these big statements, lets see how it looks in a competitive game. Better we wait for 5 to 10 games. Todays match illustrated what kind of football is possible with the squad. This might look different in a competitive match. There also might be reasons for Ole to not do it last year, we don't know, but to conclude the only possible explanation is lacking personal, feels pretty cheap given that we've done it today.

The United

Passing from deep has been our major issue for this team as everyone has been saying.

About playing with a single DM or double pivot, if he decides to press further ahead, one pure DM would be ok. But, if we stay back a bit and playing out of the back, he will continue to use double pivot or similar. Having someone with good passing range from deep would make teams sit back more which would naturally let us play with only 1 player at the base in the midfield.

Meaning we will see with double pivot this season most likely if this is our final squad.

rotherham_red

Agree with the overall statement even though I think, we don't have to have a perfect squad to make it work. There might be other ways to succeed without a new acquisition but sure, the player you describe would do us good (he would be hunted down by all topclubs though except for Chelsea maybe)

What I don't agree with is the style comment. Today none of the new players played, was even in the stadium and we still were able to play a quick passing game throughout the whole match. It was visible even in the last two pre-season matches even with even lesser personal overall. If that is "Oles style" why didn't he apply it last year? Why did we waste some games just by being cautious against teams from the bottom end of the table?

Before we do these big statements, lets see how it looks in a competitive game. Better we wait for 5 to 10 games. Todays match illustrated what kind of football is possible with the squad. This might look different in a competitive match. There also might be reasons for Ole to not do it last year, we don't know, but to conclude the only possible explanation is lacking personal, feels pretty cheap given that we've done it today.
Because last season was one where we had no preseason and no free week in between games to work on things like tactics until it was far too late in the season to implement anything as all the players were understandably shattered by playing a game twice a week, every week, since June 2020.

What you saw in our last two preseason games was the benefits of a proper preseason (and even this one isn't even a great one since we had to stagger the arrival dates of all our international players). Something which Ole hasn't had the chance to do in all his time here, even including 2019, which was predominantly focused on fitness and not tactics, thanks to Jose's calamitous approach to it which meant that Ole had to build it all back up from scratch.

Time will tell if it will be enough, but with better players filling in the clear holes in the squad that are remaining, and judging how he has improved a big proportion of the players he inherited, he has for the first time in his time here, finally been given the tools to succeed or fail. Let's see how it works out for him.

frostbite

Managers can learn and improve with time, management is not a static skill. At times, we were disappointed with Ole's man management, especially in the final with Villarreal. Keeping De Gea for the penalties was an obvious mistake and I am sure that Ole learned something from Tuchel today. I believe he is smart enough, and that he will get better in the future. I am really optimistic for this coming season!

Managers can learn and improve with time, management is not a static skill. At times, we were disappointed with Ole's man management, especially in the final with Villarreal. Keeping De Gea for the penalties was an obvious mistake and I am sure that Ole learned something from Tuchel today. I believe he is smart enough, and that he will get better in the future. I am really optimistic for this coming season!
How much time do you think is needed? He's been managing for over 10yrs, he isnt new to this.

Giggsyking

Manchester united is not a primary school to teach managers the ABC of management. The manager of Manchester united must be one of the best in the world.

rotherham_red

How much time do you think is needed? He's been managing for over 10yrs, he isnt new to this.
More experienced managers than Ole, all of whom many people would argue were more "deserving" of the job haven't done as well as Ole in the role while he was learning on the job.

If this is Ole learning on the job, then he's done enough in his time here to be given a fair chance and for people to not melt down after every draw or even hard-fought win, let alone a loss.

I genuinely have never seen anything like it. Far bigger managers have gotten far more slack than Ole does with some people both on here and on social media.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
You do realise that he is a manager 15 years? And that against Villareal, DDG was just one thing which he did. Or better to say; in that game, in 120 minutes he didn't do anything to influence the game. His 4 subs were in last minutes of the game ffs.

More experienced managers than Ole, all of whom many people would argue were more "deserving" of the job haven't done as well as Ole in the role while he was learning on the job.

If this is Ole learning on the job, then he's done enough in his time here to be given a fair chance and for people to not melt down after every draw or even hard-fought win, let alone a loss.

I genuinely have never seen anything like it. Far bigger managers have gotten far more slack than Ole does with some people both on here and on social media.
I’m not having a meltdown, I’m just asking a question. How much time is needed?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’ll go further in the CL and push on in the league but we are still a top class striker and intelligent baller in the middle away from being a really top notch outfit with the tools to go toe to toe with anybody. We will still be playing on the counter against City for example.

Blood Mage

If we finish lower than 2nd this season he should definitely go. Regressing even slightly despite having signed two world class players would be unforgivable. This will be the season for Ole to show what he's made of.

Kag

If we finish lower than 2nd this season he should definitely go. Regressing even slightly despite having signed two world class players would be unforgivable. This will be the season for Ole to show what he's made of.
What if first finishes on 84 points, second on 83 points, and third on 82 points: we finish third. Would this clear and obvious title challenge and large points haul require dismissal due to your static view of success and progression?

I’m being a little obtuse, really, but I find the Ole must achieve ‘XY’ a little funny. It lacks all kind of nuance.

Mickson

He’ll go further in the CL and push on in the league but we are still a top class striker and intelligent baller in the middle away from being a really top notch outfit with the tools to go toe to toe with anybody. We will still be playing on the counter against City for example.
I know you didn't mean it, but I hate this argument. City doesn't even have a decent striker and is by far the best team in England. No team is perfect, yet people don't expect anything from Ole since he hasn't bought the world's best midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.