Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OleBoiii

The only, and I mean only, advantage Van Gaal and Mourinho have over Ole, is their minor silverware(domestic cups and europa league). If that is important to you: fair enough. To me it's not, as they're no true indication of whether or not you are on your way to win major trophies. You can easily mask the stink of your shite management by scrapping your way to a trophy that most top teams only approach half-heartedly. Mourinho still tries to do that to this day, which is laughable to say the least.

Now let's look at what Ole has improved compared to his predecessors:

1. The only manager post Fergie to show continuous improvement.
2. The only manager post Fergie to never fall out of the top 4 when given a full season.
3. Much better at dealing with the media.
4. The lowest average annual net spend adjusted for inflation (when discussing money spent, this is the only reasonable metric)
5. Significantly better transfer record.
6. Has improved at least some players who were already here upon his arrival. I'm not sure if Van Gaal or Mourinho improved a single player.
7. More sustainable long-term strategy(both in terms of transfers and youth policy).
8. More goals.
9. More high-scoring wins.
10. More comebacks.
11. Higher tempo.
12. Arguably better fitness.

If you'd take an FA cup trophy or two over all of that, then your priorities are strange to say the least.

I don't disagree that we need to keep improving and that major trophies should be right around the corner. But some fans genuinely act as if Ole barely has been an improvement to his predecessors and that his job should constantly be on the line just like it was in the beginning. That 3-4 poor games in a row in the beginning of the season could warrant us immediately sacking him.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I think our defence was very good last season from start of the year until Maguire got injured, so it should be much better with Maguire back and Varane next to him.
It really wasn't. Conceding 10 goals in 6 CL games is poor, conceding 44 goals in the PL is poor (Villa and Brighton conceded 46 goals). Conceding 68 goals in 61 games in all comps is again, poor. For a team wanting to win titles and silverware you cannot do it with that defensive unit.

City for example conceded 5 CL goals and they got to the final playing 7 more games and conceded 5 goals less than we managed in the group stages.

City conceded 42 goals in all competitions last year in 61 games. Now we clearly aren't going to match those numbers this season, but we have to show a big improvement on last year. It was our achilles heel.

Last edited:

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Sure, but even if they fecked up at times like every manager does, they have trophies to their names and they brought some success for their clubs. This can’t be said about Ole and there’s little to suggest he turns into a serial winner overnight.
How highly do you rate Nagelsmann or Poch? If you believe they are shit managers, fair enough. Else let's talk about where we are vs what the expectations were

matsdf

It really wasn't. Conceding 10 goals in 6 CL games is poor, conceding 44 goals in the PL is poor (Villa and Brighton conceded 46 goals). Conceding 68 goals in 61 games in all comps is again, poor. For a team wanting to win titles and silverware you cannot do it with that defensive unit.

City for example conceded 5 CL goals and they got to the final playing 7 more games and conceded 5 goals less than we managed in the group stages.

City conceded 42 goals in all competitions last year in 61 games. Now we clearly aren't going to match those numbers this season, but we have to show a big improvement on last year. It was our achilles heel.
If you count from after the first Spurs game, up until Maguire got injured, we conceded 24 goals in 30 games. That's pretty good.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
If you count from after the first Spurs game, up until Maguire got injured, we conceded 24 goals in 30 games. That's pretty good.
24 in 29 PL games is very good yes. But unfortunately we have to play 38 games. It also doesn't take into consideration the CL matches. End of the day, City conceding 42 in all comps last season, we conceded 44 goals in just the PL alone, that is the bar we have to set ourselves too. We simply cannot leak goals the way we did last year if we're serious about wanting trophies. I'm sure we'll improve defensively this year, but it was something that dragged us back last season. We scored 121 goals in 61 games last year, City managed 131 goals in 61 games. Offensively, we're excellent.

Red Star One

How highly do you rate Nagelsmann or Poch? If you believe they are shit managers, fair enough. Else let's talk about where we are vs what the expectations were
Nagelsmann was punching well above his weight and overachieved with the squad he had. Poch I don’t rate very high yet still, with on paper comparable quality to us, he was much closer to actually winning something than Ole. None of them managed a giant like United, but rather teams that didn’t win a thing in decades.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Nagelsmann was punching well above his weight and overachieved with the squad he had. Poch I don’t rate very high yet still, with on paper comparable quality to us, he was much closer to actually winning something than Ole. None of them managed a giant like United, but rather teams that didn’t win a thing in decades.
But what did Nagelsmann win? Didn't he lose to Frankfurt and BVB in DFB Pokal? Could have won that, no? Poch lost to Norwich's and the likes if I remember correctly. He surely should have atleast won those games if not the whole thing.

Mind, I rate both of them highly but the argument that the manager didn't win a particular cup competition is pretty senseless. The issue with most of the arguments like "Didn't win a trophy yet"/"Lost to Villarreal" fail to account for the fact that these are one-off games (single legged games), where an upset is quite possible, and happens more often than people like to believe it does

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Competition (Team that we faced)

Season​
League Cup​
FA Cup​
CL​
Europa​
20-21​
Semis (City)
Quarters (Leicester)​
Group Stage​
Final (Villarreal)
19-20​
Semis (City)
Semis (Chelsea)
-​
Semis (Sevilla)
18-19​
3rd Round (Derby)​
Quarters (Wolves)​
Quarters (Barcelona)​
-​
17-18​
Quarters (Bristol City)​
Final (Chelsea)
Last 16 (Sevilla)​
-​
16-17​
Final (Southampton)
Quarters (Chelsea)​
-​
Final (Ajax)
15-16​
4th Round (Middlesbrough)​
Final (Crystal Palace)
Group Stage​
Last 16 (Liverpool)​
14-15​
2nd Round (MK Dons)​
Quarters (Arsenal)​
-​
-​
13-14​
Semis (Sunderland)
3rd Round (Swansea)​
Quarters (Bayern Munich)​
-​

Trophy Win
Semi Final/Final

I wish I could fill a cell colour to make it a little easier to read but oh well. When you look at all that and see actually how badly we've done in the cups, Oles done actually pretty damn well in the domestic/Europa cups. He's just struggled to see us through to the finishing line but consistency has been very good. Some of the teams that knocked us out in recent times is, well it's shocking.

lysglimt

Scout
No, I didn't miss any of that. But I refuse to accept it. So I'll assume that when Mou was saying all the shit about football heritage you agreed.

I don't know about laughing stock, but the thing is that every time that matters during Oles' tenure we bottle it.
First (half) season we were competing with Arsenal and Chelsea who bottles it first in the last 10 or so games.
First full season bottling all the cup semis, and lucky for us Leicester were terrible in the last 7-8 games to get the top 4 cup.
Second full season again bottling cup semis, not being able to get 1 point from 3 Champions League games(unbelievable) and got dumped in the EL, in which case we were terrible in the final (literally the biggest game of last season).

I've said that he earned his 3rd (full) season, but the excuses have dried up he has one of the most expensive squads in world football, this time he has to deliver. Anything less than Challenge for the league and the Champions league will not be enough.

We can't support a manager just because he has an eye for transfers also the football served isn't a lot better than Van Gaal or Mourinho eras
I can accept many of your arguments - even if I don't agree with them. But when you compare our current football to the crap we endured with van Gaal - then you lose all credibility

Lentwood

The only, and I mean only, advantage Van Gaal and Mourinho have over Ole, is their minor silverware(domestic cups and europa league). If that is important to you: fair enough. To me it's not, as they're no true indication of whether or not you are on your way to win major trophies. You can easily mask the stink of your shite management by scrapping your way to a trophy that most top teams only approach half-heartedly. Mourinho still tries to do that to this day, which is laughable to say the least.

2. The only manager post Fergie to never fall out of the top 4 when given a full season.
4. The lowest average annual net spend adjusted for inflation (when discussing money spent, this is the only reasonable metric)
6. Has improved at least some players who were already here upon his arrival. I'm not sure if Van Gaal or Mourinho improved a single player.
7. More sustainable long-term strategy(both in terms of transfers and youth policy).
8. More goals.
10. More comebacks.
11. Higher tempo.

If you'd take an FA cup trophy or two over all of that, then your priorities are strange to say the least.

I don't disagree that we need to keep improving and that major trophies should be right around the corner. But some fans genuinely act as if Ole barely has been an improvement to his predecessors and that his job should constantly be on the line just like it was in the beginning. That 3-4 poor games in a row in the beginning of the season could warrant us immediately sacking him.
Agree

crossy1686

career ending

8. More goals.
10. More comebacks.
11. Higher tempo.

Even Ole had won the trophies that Van Gaal and Mourinho won there would still be a selection saying that they're not major trophies and he therefore isn't good enough. The people you're arguing against think Rome was built in a day and the manager is the sum of all our problems or at the very least can be improved upon. People need to realise that top, top mangers these days don't want to build anything. They want to come in, win 5 major trophies and leave after a couple of seasons to Spain or Italy, with not a single feck given to the team they're leaving for the next guy, just look at what Jose did to the squad to see what happens if you don't have a Director of Football.

It's clear to see we're going in the right direction. Anyone ignoring it or still bashing Ole has an agenda at this point

BorisManUtd

I thought since start of the year 2021, from January until April or so. Of course, you have to keep that same level for whole season not 3-4 months, but it should be better this season anyways. I do hope we sign Trippier and not rely only on AWB through season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Competition (Team that we faced)

Season​
League Cup​
FA Cup​
CL​
Europa​
20-21​
Semis (City)
Quarters (Leicester)​
Group Stage​
Final (Villarreal)
19-20​
Semis (City)
Semis (Chelsea)
-​
Semis (Sevilla)
18-19​
3rd Round (Derby)​
Quarters (Wolves)​
Quarters (Barcelona)​
-​
17-18​
Quarters (Bristol City)​
Final (Chelsea)
Last 16 (Sevilla)​
-​
16-17​
Final (Southampton)
Quarters (Chelsea)​
-​
Final (Ajax)
15-16​
4th Round (Middlesbrough)​
Final (Crystal Palace)
Group Stage​
Last 16 (Liverpool)​
14-15​
2nd Round (MK Dons)​
Quarters (Arsenal)​
-​
-​
13-14​
Semis (Sunderland)
3rd Round (Swansea)​
Quarters (Bayern Munich)​
-​

Trophy Win
Semi Final/Final

I wish I could fill a cell colour to make it a little easier to read but oh well. When you look at all that and see actually how badly we've done in the cups, Oles done actually pretty damn well in the domestic/Europa cups. He's just struggled to see us through to the finishing line but consistency has been very good. Some of the teams that knocked us out in recent times is, well it's shocking.
Yeah, it's not a bad record at all under Ole.

Again (not addressed to RedSky) I think most who are quite skeptical about Ole being good enough for the long haul aren't thinking van Gaal or Mourinho were better, or that Ole hasn't done a good job given the early expectations, or that he isn't a good man manager or respectably representing the club and so on. More often than not it's about our football, the way we play, not really outperforming teams or dominating them, setting up negatively against strong teams, slow and laboured buildup (which is a continuation of previous managers) against defensive teams. Then it's in-game management. And managing players' fitness.

All of these issues are worthy of debate and criticism is warranted. It would be if his name was Guardiola or Klopp or Mourinho or Moyes.

Neymar

Not a peasant
Supports
Neymar & Messi
Ole's just not a great manager. We've spent absurd amounts of money only to watch Chelsea, City and Liverpool win league titles and CL trophies. Spurs were in the CL final, and you will still see some questioning Poch and saying 'he's never won anything, how can he be a good manager?'

Ole can't win anything. It's not a matter of time, or of spending even more money---it's a matter of getting in a winning manager. Ole is the one who got Cardiff relegated but many would have him over Poch who was within one game of winning the CL. Insanity. People see what they want to see when it comes to Ole.

Halftrack

Ole's just not a great manager. We've spent absurd amounts of money only to watch Chelsea, City and Liverpool win league titles and CL trophies. Spurs were in the CL final, and you will still see some questioning Poch and saying 'he's never won anything, how can he be a good manager?'

Ole can't win anything. It's not a matter of time, or of spending even more money---it's a matter of getting in a winning manager. Ole is the one who got Cardiff relegated but many would have him over Poch who was within one game of winning the CL. Insanity. People see what they want to see when it comes to Ole.
Indeed.

Shiva87

Really looking forward to the season. Solskjaer seems to be happy with the backing and the club have spent huge sums. Hopefully we can mount a genuine title charge.

These numbers just don't seem right.

These are the signings that have gone into the squad:

1. Maguire: 80m
2. AWB: 50m
3. James: 15m
4. Bruno: 46 m.
5. Cavani (Free)
6. DVB: 35 m
7. Sancho: 75m
8. Varane: 35m
9. Telles: 15m
(Add Amad + Pellistri = 19+10).

Total: 350 m (or 380 m if you are being cute)

These are the sales:

1. Lukaku: 75m
2. Fellaini: 10 m
3. Young: 1.5m
4. Smalling: 15m
5. Darmian: 2m
6. Rojo (Undscl): Assume 2m
7. Various loan fees: (assume aggregated) 10m

(If you count Amad + Pellistri as first team, then we should also count Alexis contract termination savings as an inflow: 50m)

Total: 110m (or 160 million if you want to be cute).

So our current net expenditure should be near 240-250m (without taking into account any sales or incoming in this window).

For a team which was in the shape that United were in when Ole joined, this is not a huge outlay.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
These numbers just don't seem right.

These are the signings that have gone into the squad:

1. Maguire: 80m
2. AWB: 50m
3. James: 15m
4. Bruno: 46 m.
5. Cavani (Free)
6. DVB: 35 m
7. Sancho: 75m
8. Varane: 35m
9. Telles: 15m
(Add Amad + Pellistri = 19+10).

Total: 350 m (or 380 m if you are being cute)

These are the sales:

1. Lukaku: 75m
2. Fellaini: 10 m
3. Young: 1.5m
4. Smalling: 15m
5. Darmian: 2m
6. Rojo (Undscl): Assume 2m
7. Various loan fees: (assume aggregated) 10m

(If you count Amad + Pellistri as first team, then we should also count Alexis contract termination savings as an inflow: 50m)

Total: 110m (or 160 million if you want to be cute).

So our current net expenditure should be near 240-250m (without taking into account any sales or incoming in this window).

For a team which was in the shape that United were in when Ole joined, this is not a huge outlay.
The point is he's been backed and he's publically proclaimed he's been backed.

Robbie Boy

It's really fantastic that he's been backed, and we've signed two fantastic players. Hopefully we have at least one more incoming transfer, with 3 or 4 leaving permanently. I'm buzzing for our first proper title challenge post-Fergie, this coming season. It finally feels like we are on the right track.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Now he is been backed. You cant make that statement after last year summertransfer.
That's why I'm saying it now because when a club breaks the world transfer record for a CB (Maguire) and then does almost similar for a fullback (AWB) and also signs him one of the biggest young talents in world football (Sancho) along with one of the best CBs in the world (Varane). Then that is showing a lot of faith in the the manager who has gone on record and said he's been significantly backed.

The only manager that wasn't backed IMO was Fergie in the last 4 or 5 years of his tenure.

Shiva87

Yes he has this summer. I don't think he was backed so far. Last summer was particularly bad and he over performed massively with a team that most thought would do well to be in the top 6 (not even top 4).

People had City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Leicester, Spurs all above us in their predictions at the end of the summer window.

Also, that spend is over 6 transfer windows, which averages out to 40 million a window. This is likely to come down further with some sales this summer.

He is publicly saying he has been backed this summer, and I can't wait for the season as well. But I don't think his statement has anything to do with what the total net spend over his tenure has been.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yes he has this summer. I don't think he was backed so far. Last summer was particularly bad and he over performed massively with a team that most thought would do well to be in the top 6 (not even top 4).

People had City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Leicester, Spurs all above us in their predictions at the end of the summer window.

Also, that spend is over 6 transfer windows, which averages out to 40 million a window. This is likely to come down further with some sales this summer.

He is publicly saying he has been backed this summer, and I can't wait for the season as well. But I don't think his statement has anything to do with what the total net spend over his tenure has been.
That's why I'm saying he's been backed which refers to the here and now. But we know he doesn't coach the team so a lot will depend on McKenna and Eric Ramsey regarding our fortunes for the up coming season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Solskjaer has provided stability which has gone a long way to improving us. But the likes of Bout, Lawlor, and Court who are part of the transfer committee since 2018 have also played a big role in our improvement along with John Murtough who created the the roles for the above when the revamp took place.

Olecurls99

A quick recap

18-19 Takes over a club in disarray. Has an amazing start before injuries to key players halts momentum. Very good job

19-20 Starts to fix the rot by selling some "stars" and making 2 big defensive signings. Gets top 4 with Perreira and Lingard as key players. Very good job

20-21 Continues the progress by coming 2nd and adding Bruno and Cavani. We were expected by many to finish outside the top 4 before the season started. Very good job.

So he took over a club in tatters, fixed the rot without spending 200-300m every year, has outperformed what most people expected of his squads each year and yet people are still questioning his ability to do the job.

We were an underperforming 5th place club when he took over and he has steadily brought us back to the point were we are rightly being discussed as challengers. People are steadily running out of road on this one.

Karlos PFC

A quick recap

18-19 Takes over a club in disarray. Has an amazing start before injuries to key players halts momentum. Very good job

19-20 Starts to fix the rot by selling some "stars" and making 2 big defensive signings. Gets top 4 with Perreira and Lingard as key players. Very good job

20-21 Continues the progress by coming 2nd and adding Bruno and Cavani. We were expected by many to finish outside the top 4 before the season started. Very good job.

So he took over a club in tatters, fixed the rot without spending 200-300m every year, has outperformed what most people expected of his squads each year and yet people are still questioning his ability to do the job.

We were an underperforming 5th place club when he took over and he has steadily brought us back to the point were we are rightly being discussed as challengers. People are steadily running out of road on this one.
He's done ok, no more no less.

People have every right to question him, until he delivers something worthy like the PL or the Ch.league.

A large group of posters in here were discrediting Klopp up until he lifted the CL. So why would it be any different for Ole?

Also his first season (interim) he had a terrible finish to the season, last 15 games or so. Oh my God we were shambles. And last year you can't claim he did a great job with the European cups, when we needed 1 point from 3 games in the group stage and we bottled it. For the EL final I'm lost for words, just terrible.

matsdf

People have every right to question him, until he delivers something worthy like the PL or the Ch.league.

A large group of posters in here were discrediting Klopp up until he lifted the CL. So why would it be any different for Ole?

Also his first season (interim) he had a terrible finish to the season, last 15 games or so. Oh my God we were shambles. And last year you can't claim he did a great job with the European cups, when we needed 1 point from 3 games in the group stage and we bottled it. For the EL final I'm lost for words, just terrible.
Because one is United manger and the other one is Liverpool manager :lol:

A bit more important to back the first one than the second one.

OleBoiii

A large group of posters in here were discrediting Klopp up until he lifted the CL.
That was probably 100% banter. After the first 2 years, everyone in here could see that Klopp was doing a good job and taking Liverpool forward. If they had sacked Klopp after 2.5 years(one year before they won the CL), then everyone in here would laugh and call Liverpool a club run by clowns who don't understand football.

I think what's funny about Klopp's success story is that he had to do 3 things that Ole has been doing up until now:

1. He needed to spend big.
2. He needed a lot of time.
3. He needed to go from playing a relentlessly attacking style to a much smarter and adaptable brand of football.

Klopp has been a massive success, but he had to abandon some of the things that he was praised for before joining Liverpool. And that is not meant as an insult. If anything, it proves that the PL is a different animal when even a great coach like Klopp needs to adapt so much.

Karlos PFC

Because one is United manger and the other one is Liverpool manager :lol:

A bit more important to back the first one than the second one.
Maybe Karlos is a Liverpool supporter. It would explain a lot
No I'm no scouse lover, far from it. But I adore Klopp, I think that if Woodward didn't feck up after SAF retired and we got Klopp we wouldn't be in this mess all these years. Him and Pep are the two best managers of their generation, playing great football and winning titles and also they are not from Liverpool/Manchester or have played there to "get" the club and their "way" of doing things.

So because Ole is United manager that means that we can't criticize him? Even when he fecks up?

@matsdf great answer man, admins please promote the guy

Last edited:

Olecurls99

So even though we are in an incredibly competitive league with a fantastic Liverpool, City and Chelsea we have to win the league or he's sacked? That's madness.

We were miles off when he took over with a mishmash of a squad and he's brought us back to competing. That's all any proper fan should expect. That United compete.

It was actually the last 5 games of his interim year were we were a shambles and as I explained, injuries played a huge part in that. And we won our 4th group game at home to the Turkish crowd. We needed a point from our last 2 games. We played great stuff at home to PSG and were poor against a good Leipzig team. Hardly embarrassing.

Why are you exaggerating against your own club's manager? It's baffling

Ralph1386

I agree with you.

el3mel

So even though we are in an incredibly competitive league with a fantastic Liverpool, City and Chelsea we have to win the league or he's sacked? That's madness.

We were miles off when he took over with a mishmash of a squad and he's brought us back to competing. That's all any proper fan should expect. That United compete.

It was actually the last 5 games of his interim year were we were a shambles and as I explained, injuries played a huge part in that. And we won our 4th group game at home to the Turkish crowd. We needed a point from our last 2 games. We played great stuff at home to PSG and were poor against a good Leipzig team. Hardly embarrassing.

Why are you exaggerating against your own club's manager? It's baffling
Except he didn't say that. He just said people have the right to question him until he wins something major, similar to what happened with Klopp at Liverpool.

Maybe to try to stop posting arguments you just memorized and read the posts you're replying to first.

mu4c_20le

No I'm no scouse lover, far from it. But I adore Klopp, I think that if Woodward didn't feck up after SAF retired and we got Klopp we wouldn't be in this mess all these years. Him and Pep are the two best managers of their generation, playing great football and winning titles and also they are not from Liverpool/Manchester or have played there to "get" the club and their "way" of doing things.

So because Ole is United manager that means that we can't criticize him? Even when he fecks up?

@matsdf great answer man, admins please promote the guy
Worry about yourself first mate. There's also a few liverpool threads for you to 'adore' the Klopp.

theklr

Im quite sure he is more than good enough to challenge in PL and CL with the squad he’s got now.

A better manager would do that earlier than this season for sure, but dont think any of those would be able to fix the mess we were in (not just the squad but the club itself) the way Ole did.

So in my eyes he’s earned a few years more. I really dont care about EL, FA , League cup , all eyes on the PL and CL.

Olecurls99

Except he didn't say that. He just said people have the right to question him until he wins something major, similar to what happened with Klopp at Liverpool.

Maybe to try to stop posting arguments you just memorized and read the posts you're replying to first.
But Liverpool fans didn't question Klopp. They got behind him. I'd like us to try a bit of that.

I read what he said and I think it's entitled bilge. I'm happy Ole has returned us to relevance. I wish others could be happy too but there you go.

Karlos PFC

Worry about yourself first mate. There's also a few liverpool threads for you to 'adore' the Klopp.
Jesus man, do I have to draw it for you?
Klopp either he is Liverpool manager or Olympiacos he still is a great coach. Seriously, you can't see it or you won't accept it cause of scousers?

Also Roberto Baggio is my all time favorite player, should I worry that he hasn't played for us?

mu4c_20le

Jesus man, do I have to draw it for you?
Klopp either he is Liverpool manager or Olympiacos he still is a great coach. Seriously, you can't see it or you won't accept it cause of scousers?

Also Roberto Baggio is my all time favorite player, should I worry that he hasn't played for us?
Klopp is a great coach, best in the league that year he won the CL, shame he reverted to type afterwards.

Polar

Conceding 68 goals in 61 games in all comps is again, poor.
Seriously :houllier: ?? At first glance theses numbers seems pretty descent, but from a theoretical standpoint I’m sure you are able to twist and turn on everything..

Polar

Ole has been backed and I’m not complaining, but both Kloop and Pep have spent more money in a two year period then Ole.

Status
Not open for further replies.