g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAFMUTD

Problem is this rollercoaster form we have under him. Next week is against wolves, which team we'll see? The one from the second half against Leeds or the one from today?

We don't know we may be world-class or totally average in a distance of a week. Why? Because we depend on the players having a good day, we're not relying on a well drilled system but on the players inspiration and form.

We definitely do need to start seeing the fruits of all that work this season. He’s had 3 years to turn us around, get his players and imprint his style. He has to be looking at silverware this season, otherwise I agree questions should be asked about whether he gets another. But for Ole out to be trending already seems unfair to me.

I think it’s a discussion for next year to be honest. He’s spent 3 years getting the side moulded to how he wants it, it would be counter productive to fire him now. If we go backwards this season, I think it’s fair to ask for a change but we’ve made good progress year on year.
How?

We have better players. That i will say. But in terms of how we play, the cohesion, and the consistency, are we really any better? Next week we could just as easily put 5 past Wolves as we could lose 2-0.

My hope for this season was two things. One he would have a preferred 11 and style he wants to play with, and two he would get better with subs. On game 2 he's blown both of those things out of the water.

dove

Maybe you’re right, time will tell. I will say though I like having him as our manager for the man management and morale he brings, and if he’s struggling tactically then we need to surround him with people who can offer that knowledge. Just sacking him and starting all over again isn’t the answer for me.
Why would we start all over again? That "rebuilding" thing is a very convenient excuse used by our failed managers and people supporting them. We would not have to start all over again, bring in someone who can work with the squad we have and improve on that. Of course now there is no good option available because good managers don't stay without the job for too long and we always miss the chance to get them because of our usually blind trust in managers.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
It is the inconsistency that kills us. Last year for example we beat PSG and RB and then lost to that Turkish side. If that continues this season we are not winning anything again. And going by the two games we have played, it looks like a problem again.

Hopefully we can turn it around. Because i really do want Ole to succeed.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
As if Ole is a good fit.

People will come up with any reason to conclude that there are no alternatives. Should have gone for Tuchel but I guess he too wasn't a good fit.
You can think Ole isn’t good enough, and think a manager like Conte isn’t a good fit. I think there are alternatives, but you’d have to want someone more attacking than Conte at United. I’d want someone closer to a Klopp than a Conte.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Problem is this rollercoaster form we have under him. Next week is against wolves, which team we'll see? The one from the second half against Leeds or the one from today?

We don't know we may be world-class or totally average in a distance of a week. Why? Because we depend on the players having a good day, we're not relying on a well drilled system but on the players inspiration and form.
Most dont realise this after nearly 3 years.

Silas

Ole's done a great job of getting the club back on track, but if I'm honest I think this is our Lampard phase.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

This 100%. This is why we are so inconsistent.

HailtotheKing

Felt like a 50/50 for me. Ole can't be responsible for players' poor touches and misplaced passes. But he could have set the tone by benching the players that did them. Could've taken off Fred at halftime for example as a sign of intent and brought on Donny. And therein lies the rub. Why didn't he play Donny? He's way better against the press and would've been far better at unlocking the low block. Instead, he sticks with Matic and Fred for 60 minutes. Then Lingard? Wow. Moving Pogba away from where he was doing damage to boot. Mystifying. And why not play Sancho from the start? Ole let himself down again today. Can't have too many more days like this.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
As if Ole is a good fit.

People will come up with any reason to conclude that there are no alternatives. Should have gone for Tuchel but I guess he too wasn't a good fit.
I would keep Ole until someone I believe is the right fit comes along. As soon as PSG sacked Tuchel, I said we should sack Ole but knew it was never going to happen. We will be going backwards if we just higher any random dude because he's a top coach.
I think Ed Woodward's biggest legacy will be letting three modern-world class coaches go to our rivals. I seriously mean that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You can think Ole isn’t good enough, and think a manager like Conte isn’t a good fit. I think there are alternatives, but you’d have to want someone more attacking than Conte at United. I’d want someone closer to a Klopp than a Conte.
Agreed. But if we can't get someone like Klopp I'd take a top class managers like Conte or Zidane than one who is not, like Ole. I mean, Ole-ball is hardly a feast for the eyes. He holds many of our traditions but quality is key.

Anustart89

I will take my time off redcafe until our next game.

The most disappointing thing is not the result, but the caf and overreacting posters.

See you lot next week.
How do you know last week wasn't the overreaction?

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Agreed. But if we can't get someone like Klopp I'd take a top class managers like Conte or Zidane than one who is not, like Ole. I mean, Ole-ball is hardly a feast for the eyes. He holds many of our traditions but quality is key.
I think I’d go for someone who isn’t as good as the top managers, but plays the way we expect to, rather than going for someone who is very good at something we’re not looking for. It’s subjective though, I’d look at someone like a Rodgers maybe personally, though I don’t know how successful he’d be.

Anustart89

I'm still backing Ole but if the shit hits the fan, Rodgers is the only manager for the job.
I'd take a punt on Graham Potter too, tbh. If nothing else, he'd probably bring Bissouma with him and so actually signing a fecking central midfielder.

Sylar

Are you saying Ole didn't get his first choice? Can't get much better than Sancho and Varane, and really interested in who were the main choices before Maguire and AWB.

He's been as backed as it possibly can, it's time to show for it. No more excuses.
The ones you mentioned are first choices for sure.
Telles didnt seem like a first choice
VDB didnt seem like a first choice.
Sancho is a year after he wanted him (but fine, so be it)
Ighalo wasnt first choice.
Cavani wasnt first choice but is a free and has done well so not an issue.
Bruno was wanted but looks like we got him 6 months after Ole initially wanted him.

I dont think hes been backed as best as possible. Otherwise we would have got a DM and a Striker too.
Chelsea (lampard followed by Tuchel) and City (pep) were backed properly. Klopp was backed better when he wanted to take the next step (although that was thanks to their smart selling of Coutinho).

Im not saying Ole hasnt been backed at all. Hes been backed and imo we are finishing full seasons under him based on how hes been backed.
But we are always seemingly one or two players short no matter who we bring in which keeps us behind where we all want to be.

Based on the current team do you think we should be challenging for top4, challenging for top spot, or actually winning it?
I said before the season started, right now were going to fall short unless we get a proper DM in.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

This is the most made up bullshit I’ve ever heard on this forum.

Oh we rely on this we rely on that , bla vla bla blah blah

You don’t think City “rely” on their good players? Oh we rely on Bruno…do we feck. The goals were spread out a lot last season and we done well.

But don’t spout the same old bollocks that most fans say when we lose oh there’s no clear pattern, when their CLEARLY is. You’re just so rose tinted anti-ole hipster manager “fan” to not see it.

Let me guess Chelsea are winning and Lukaku is doing well….so….drum roll please…..we should never have sold Lukaku and Tuchel shouldve come in.

gjve me a break it’s the same old BS that’s spouted every time we lose/draw a game

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
How?

We have better players. That i will say. But in terms of how we play, the cohesion, and the consistency, are we really any better? Next week we could just as easily put 5 past Wolves as we could lose 2-0.

My hope for this season was two things. One he would have a preferred 11 and style he wants to play with, and two he would get better with subs. On game 2 he's blown both of those things out of the water.
How have we made year on year progress? Well we’ve improved our league finish each year, improved our points tally each year, improved our cup showings each year, and improved the squad depth and the first eleven. We’ve qualified for the champions league consecutively for the first time since Ferguson, and last season scored the most goals since 2013. The progress is there. The performances need work, and I agree we lack coaching in certain areas. But my argument would be that we work on those areas instead of sacking the man who turned us around in the first place.
Why would we start all over again? That "rebuilding" thing is a very convenient excuse used by our failed managers and people supporting them. We would not have to start all over again, bring in someone who can work with the squad we have and improve on that. Of course now there is no good option available because good managers don't stay without the job for too long and we always miss the chance to get them because of our usually blind trust in managers.
Would you sack Ole tonight? Who would you appoint?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

You don’t think City “rely” on their good players? Oh we rely on Bruno…do we feck. The goals were spread out a lot last season and we done well.

But don’t spout the same old bollocks that most fans say when we lose oh there’s no clear pattern, when their CLEARLY is. You’re just so rose tinted anti-ole hipster manager “fan” to not see it.

Let me guess Chelsea are winning and Lukaku is doing well….so….drum roll please…..we should never have sold Lukaku and Tuchel shouldve come in.

gjve me a break it’s the same old BS that’s spouted every time we lose/draw a game
You havent heard a lot then.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I would keep Ole until someone I believe is the right fit comes along. As soon as PSG sacked Tuchel, I said we should sack Ole but knew it was never going to happen. We will be going backwards if we just higher any random dude because he's a top coach.
I think Ed Woodward's biggest legacy will be letting three modern-world class coaches go to our rivals. I seriously mean that.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dove

Would you sack Ole tonight? Who would you appoint?
No, because now is the worst time to look for a new manager. We are unfortunately stuck with Ole for a while and even more unfortunately we are gonna continue watching our rivals getting best managers while we are busy trusting the process.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot

What is Solskjaer's system/plan/tactic?????

SAFMUTD

The ones you mentioned are first choices for sure.
Telles didnt seem like a first choice
VDB didnt seem like a first choice.
Sancho is a year after he wanted him (but fine, so be it)
Ighalo wasnt first choice.
Cavani wasnt first choice but is a free and has done well so not an issue.
Bruno was wanted but looks like we got him 6 months after Ole initially wanted him.

I dont think hes been backed as best as possible. Otherwise we would have got a DM and a Striker too.
Chelsea (lampard followed by Tuchel) and City (pep) were backed properly. Klopp was backed better when he wanted to take the next step (although that was thanks to their smart selling of Coutinho).

Im not saying Ole hasnt been backed at all. Hes been backed and imo we are finishing full seasons under him based on how hes been backed.
But we are always seemingly one or two players short no matter who we bring in which keeps us behind where we all want to be.

Based on the current team do you think we should be challenging for top4, challenging for top spot, or actually winning it?
I said before the season started, right now were going to fall short unless we get a proper DM in.
So we did get most of his first choices didn't we? No manager gets all the players he wants, not even Pep.

Based on the current squad we should be competing for the title for sure.

Players are only as good as the system allows them to be, look at Chelsea. They were shit under Lampard and now really impressive under Tuchel, how did that happened?

Now let me ask you a question, do you think we are playing to our best potential? Do you think Ole is getting the very best of this squad?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
No, because now is the worst time to look for a new manager. We are unfortunately stuck with Ole for a while and even more unfortunately we are gonna continue watching our rivals getting best managers while we are busy trusting the process.
The best thing we can do now is sign a midfielder and a right back.

SAFMUTD

Well if there's a consistent system please explain it to me. What is it?

Every team depends on their players quality but the system is/should be applied to booster that quality. We genuinely look like a different team from one week to another. How many chances we created today? Excluding set pieces.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I don’t know if there are any threads about it but I would love for this thread to be more about his tactics . He has been at United for a while now so would be nice to see more of a tactical analysis of his and the patterns of play . I wonder why don’t get much of that

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Just a reminder; Frank Lampard just before sack talked how team is not good enough to challenge for trophies and giving same excuses as Ole (progress, time etc...).
Then good manager came in and rest is history.

We are so fecked with failed Cardiff manager

Fooza

I know he half talks nonsense in post press conferences but saying Matic was excellent is just taking a cake.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Just a reminder; Frank Lampard just before sack talked how team is not good enough to challenge for trophies and giving same excuses as Ole (progress, time etc...).
Then good manager came in and rest is history.

We are so fecked with failed Cardiff manager
:o Yes we get, you love Jose and hate Ole.
You can continue with the failed Cardiff manager crap, but this has as little to do with him being a United manager as his legendary manager status and success at Molde.

Olecurls99

We trust the process. Translation; We stick our heads in the sand despite three years of evidence that this guy is out of his depth.
Didn't he get us higher than Klopp and Tuchel last year? How did he manage that if he's out of his depth?

Fooza

Praising players in public and criticizing them in private. I wonder who he learned that from...
Usually I'd agree with you, but in this case, you don't go out your way to praise players that were clearly not good. Just not talk about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.