Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It directly affects the potential playing time for the next two years of Greenwood, Amad and others so they are definitely related. It sounds like we'll see some movements out before the window closes though.
Amad is going out on loan for sure.

Greenwood, Sancho and Rashford will all have the games their form deserves, and that's the way it should be.

Imagine not signing Ronaldo in case it hampers those 3!

BorisManUtd

I just dont know with ole. The tactics are what?, the lack of coaching for the players, well i assume its the coaching becasue i just cant get my head around how that much talent can play as bad as that, and over many games over a season.
Then you look at his 'stats' as a manager, and they are up there with the best in the league.

I think the fact that we have individual match winners, its papering over the cracks big time.
My thinking as well. It won't go this way forever though. We either start playing well consistently or get another manager like Chelsea last January. Just hope there's quality manager available if/when we need one.

Diabovermelho

Pogba playing deep is such a waste... i only want to see him playing in the pivot against low blocks teams, which wasn't the case today.

Also James shouldn't be starting league games... he's clearly not good enough, and in the 1st half, Mason was constantly on the right to try something, because James wasn't producing anything.

And why was James on the right and Sancho on the left? Nonsense.

But at least he didn't wait much to sub James. I think his substitutions were ok. But our display were terrible. We were outclassed by wolves, and luckily De Gea was in God mode, Wan Bissaka also were gigantic with that save, and Varane was world class. In the end, another individual brilliance from Mason saved Ole from a disappointing result.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Amad is going out on loan for sure.

Greenwood, Sancho and Rashford will all have the games their form deserves, and that's the way it should be.

Imagine not signing Ronaldo in case it hampers those 3!
I didn't say we shouldn't have signed Ronaldo.

Regalia

Ole is getting carried so hard by the talent in our team. They are helping to skew his statistics so bad and since we have a bunch of idiots running the show upstairs, we are going to be stuck in this 'almost there but not really' rut until all our world class players are past their peak. This team would destroy with a proper manager in charge. Shame.

DickDastardly

Can we get him some better coaches?

He's clearly a good man manager, he's one of our own, there's a lot of good things going on....just,...the tactics.... it's so fecking shit.

I though we hijacked some young new coach?
When excatly do we see the benefit?
McKenna was raved about.... can't fecking see it to be honest.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We are a team of really good individuals. IMO we have one the best teams in Europe on paper. But we dont play like we have one of the best teams in Europe.

dove

@dove - just found this. Chelsea have four points more and have played a game more than us in that time.
You are again missing my point but anyway, how is that possible that he did as much in half a year than Ole in 2.5 years? Don't all managers need at least 3 years to produce anything? With Lampard in charge they looked really bad, Tuchel transformed them immediately from day 1. Didn't need 2 or 3 years. Anyway I was talking about being consistent. Chelsea consistently played well but just couldn't finish their chances as their forwards were absolutely woeful. With Lukaku you can be sure they will win more points because their performances have been averaging from good to very good during his time. Meanwhile we are all over the place. Winning the league or really challenging without being consistent is not possible. It will get us mid/high 70 points but not more.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
You are again missing my point but anyway, how is that possible that he did as much in half a year than Ole in 2.5 years? Don't all managers need at least 3 years to produce anything? With Lampard in charge they looked really bad, Tuchel transformed them immediately from day 1. Didn't need 2 or 3 years. Anyway I was talking about being consistent. Chelsea consistently played well but just couldn't finish their chances as their forwards were absolutely woeful. With Lukaku you can be sure they will win more points because their performances have been averaging from good to very good during his time. Meanwhile we are all over the place. Winning the league or really challenging without being consistent is not possible. It will get us mid/high 70 points but not more.
Do you think Ole has shown anything in his time at United so far that he can immediately turn around a failing side?

dove

Do you think Ole has shown anything in his time at United so far that he can immediately turn around a failing side?
Sure we had some good spells where it all clicked so why not, it's just unlikely. I think we should either hire a good assistant manager because having 2 amateurs in McKenna and Carrick clearly doesn't help or Ole will eventually get sacked because the pressure is on him now to deliver, and rightly so. We have a very good squad of players.

KD6-3.7

Wasn't able to watch the match but from what I've been reading it seems like despite a better squad then last season we are still having the same issues.

That's down to Ole and his non-existent coaching staff, if they can't see the problem now after three years they probably never will.

Pronewbie

Peep
Ole's what we needed 3 seasons ago and he's done a tremendous job re-instilling the culture and identity of this football club. I'm extremely grateful for that. I'm not sure though if he's the right man for the new chapter entitled "Winning Titles" but I'm happy to let this play out for another 4 - 8 months because he's generated a lot of goodwill. If we do not go on a strong title challenge or win any cups with this squad then he'll have to go if a better manager becomes available.

KD6-3.7

It seems like people forget that either at the start or midway the season that Ole's team can seem heavily out of form- once it gets in to a rhythm they go on a winning spree.
But more often then not that winning spree is followed by some shocking form where our general play is awful and we throwaway lots of points.

Infra-red

Genuine question - can someone compare how we’ve done in the league vs how Tuchel has done.
Tuchel was appointed on 26 January 2021. Premier League table since that day reads like this:

PlayedWonDrawnLostPoints
Man City23180554
Chelsea22136345
Liverpool22133642
Man Utd22118341

jem

I just don't think he's good enough to lead United. It's obviously a subjective opinion, but I don't performances commensurate with the talent in the squad.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Tuchel was appointed on 26 January 2021. Premier League table since that day reads like this:

PlayedWonDrawnLostPoints
Man City23180554
Chelsea22136345
Liverpool22133642
Man Utd22118341
And if we're being honest, atleast 2 of our games were as good as practice matches for our reserves.

Castia

Needs to stop fecking about with his line up. I’m not sure why some players get chance after chance whilst others can’t even get on from the bench.

Somebody who has never watched a game of football can see Dan James isn’t good enough and this midfield has been mediocre for far too long yet a 40m signing can’t even get off the bench

Its ok having Ronaldo but it’s pointless if we can’t create anything we need to be better.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
People have no patience. Be glad for 7/9 points. Ahead of City and pool. Leeds game forgotten already it seems.

The general play will improve and get more consistent as the players get more games under their belt&together. Ole will keep improving points per season and also win a trophy or more.

And then all the armchair coaches can go moan about something else. Frustrating how people can not see what they have.

Today Ole got another record, an unbeaten away PL record, 28 matches in a row. And won 3 points away. Deal with it. He is staying. For a long time.

NZT-One

And if we're being honest, atleast 2 of our games were as good as practice matches for our reserves.
Yeah. Lets also take out the mean games when the schedule was so rough. Because it really isn't fair to ignore context...

:rolleyes:

Infra-red

Basically nothing between Chelsea/Liverpool/United in the league in the last 7 months (although Chelsea have obviously won a CL in that time, which changes the picture for them somewhat!).

edgecutter

People have no patience. Be glad for 7/9 points. Ahead of City and pool. Leeds game forgotten already it seems.

The general play will improve and get more consistent as the players get more games under their belt&together. Ole will keep improving points per season and also win a trophy or more.

And then all the armchair coaches can go moan about something else. Frustrating how people can not see what they have.

Today Ole got another record, an unbeaten away PL record, 28 matches in a row.
And won 3 points away. Deal with it. He is staying. For a long time.
Great to have the record, but it wins us nothing and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't mean much.

Cathy Ferguson

Yeah a CM is a must especially if he doesn't fancy VDB and McTominay is gonna be out for a chunk.
It has been a must for ages but the window closes in a few days and a new CM is very unlikely. McTominay will give us better balance but I doubt that McFred can win us titles.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Yeah. Lets also take out the mean games when the schedule was so rough. Because it really isn't fair to ignore context...

That was less about schedule and more about the fact they we had top 4 sown up. There's a reason points totals over portions of a season can be misleading. Liverpool and Chelsea had way more to play for whereas our push came around November to January. Its a bad sign definitely that we ran out of steam towards the end of last season but it is something that can be fixed if we're still seriously fighting for the title this time around? Very possibly.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

We're literally 1 point behind Klopp's pool, 4 behind Tuchel's chelsea and we're calling those two as among the best in the league. This despite the fact that we literally played a bunch of kids vs Leicester because we had 4 games in 8 days, and played 2nd XI vs Wolves and Fulham.

Adding context to stats is important, whether you like it or not. Else, we can ignore context and reach the conclusion that over the last 12 months, Ole has been a better manager than Klopp. Your call?

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
It has been a must for ages but the window closes in a few days and a new CM is very unlikely. McTominay will give us better balance but I doubt that McFred can win us titles.
I think it can. It's pretty good in the big games and against lower table teams I think we needs to just keep enough control to give our forwards time on the ball and goals will come. I'd still take Neves honestly.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Would love to see this side under a tactically astute manager like Mancini.

Dominos

You can't have it both ways. You can't give Ole credit for building a fantastic squad of players, and then not expect them to play like a top team.

We're getting played off the park by lower half fodder like Southampton and Wolves. There's something seriously wrong with our coaching and tactical set up.

dirkey

Said it last week, I'll say it again this. Same mistakes being made over and over. Got lucky today. Deserved to lose, robbed a win. James, again. I give up. Pointless player.

Fred with pogba. Awful crap.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Today Ole got another record, an unbeaten away PL record, 28 matches in a row. And won 3 points away. Deal with it. He is staying. For a long time.
He is here 3 years ffs. And you are talking about patience? He has world class team, had 3 years to implement his ideas and then was dominated by Wolves who have guy who is 2 months in charge.

Karlos PFC

The general play will improve and get more consistent as the players get more games under their belt&together. Ole will keep improving points per season and also win a trophy or more
You do realize that you're talking about the same team that plays together for 3 years. When exactly are you expecting them to gel and also is this something that must be happening every year with the same coach?
It's a little bit like accepting that Ole doesn't have any role to play except than picking the starting 11 everything else is all on the players to have a great game and a certain football style.

Maybe winning the league that way applies to Norway but not in England where you have to compete against the best coaches around and not mailmen or fishermen pretending to be managers

He'sRaldo

Honestly it's the same as Mourinho's 2nd season. Clear flaws in our game with us obviously going nowhere, but still a lot of fans defending the football.

At least Mourinho had the decency to get himself sacked. Ole is going nowhere as long as he achieves top 4/a minor trophy, so we're basically stuck in limbo cause I can't see our football winning the big ones.

But let's see what happens. Who knows, maybe with Ronaldo we can actually shithouse our way to a big trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.