Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
We all? I don’t represent a monolith, you know?

And for the record, pro footballers are waaaaay better at the game than your average person can fathom. I know there are levels, but the clueless, no patterns, etc. nonsense really needs to piss off.
I don't know what you're talking about.

And I don't really get your second point. I think people talk in hyperboles etc, which can be very annoying, at the same time, I think what people are trying to say mostly that the coaching hasnt been good enough to produce patterns of plays that consistently hurt opposing teams to the degree that some of the best coaches have been able to do.

That isn't just a mark of 2nd, or 3rd, or we beat City. But over a big number of games, what do our matches look like. Are we able to create chance after chance, do we sufficate teams, do we get the ball consistently in dangerous positions etc.

Eriku

I don't know what you're talking about.

And I don't really get your second point. I think people talk in hyperboles etc, which can be very annoying, at the same time, I think what people are trying to say mostly that the coaching hasnt been good enough to produce patterns of plays that consistently hurt opposing teams to the degree that some of the best coaches have been able to do.

That isn't just a mark of 2nd, or 3rd, or we beat City. But over a big number of games, what do our matches look like. Are we able to create chance after chance, do we sufficate teams, do we get the ball consistently in dangerous positions etc.
You were trying to generalize about others based off something I said.

And the bloke posting the vid was clearly exasperated with the claims that we’re clueless on coaching. The video didn’t do much to help his case, but clearly it’s only having a go at idiotic hyperbole, not the notion that there might be reasons to criticize Ole.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
You were trying to generalize about others based off something I said.

And the bloke posting the vid was clearly exasperated with the claims that we’re clueless on coaching. The video didn’t do much to help his case, but clearly it’s only having a go at idiotic hyperbole, not the notion that there might be reasons to criticize Ole.
You mean talking about the "badges" and every professional club having good coaching? Yes, there are many posters here on the caf that hold to that, were is the generalisation? Whenever the coaching is brought up, people are being silenced by the fact that they all the coaches have the badges.

That would be fair enough, just think it is equally silly. I think it's very obvious what the criticisers are talking about, and it is fair enough to voice out disagreement with the words that they choose. However it doesn't advance the discussion at all of what is actually being spoken about here.

Eriku

You mean talking about the "badges" and every professional club having good coaching? Yes, there are many posters here on the caf that hold to that, were is the generalisation? Whenever the coaching is brought up, people are being silenced by the fact that they all the coaches have the badges.

That would be fair enough, just think it is equally silly. I think it's very obvious what the criticisers are talking about, and it is fair enough to voice out disagreement with the words that they choose. However it doesn't advance the discussion at all of what is actually being spoken about here.
Okay, it's good to know you all stand there.
There is the generalization. Not sure why’d take anything I say to make a "you all" statement, but whatever.

And if you seriously don’t think coaches with badges have more or a clue than a large part of the vitriolic contingent on here seem to claim then I’m done trying to bridge the gap. If you don’t mind the hyperbole then enjoy people using this forum as a canvas for their jumped up emotions rather than decent discussion. Personally I’m sick of it, have been for a long time, and it’s only getting worse, and is alienating good posters and killing dialogue and unity on here.

Probably rich coming from my preachy arse right now, but whatever.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
There is the generalization. Not sure why’d take anything I say to make a "you all" statement, but whatever.

And if you seriously don’t think coaches with badges have more or a clue than a large part of the vitriolic contingent on here seem to claim then I’m done trying to bridge the gap. If you don’t mind the hyperbole then enjoy people using this forum as a canvas for their jumped up emotions rather than decent discussion. Personally I’m sick of it, have been for a long time, and it’s only getting worse, and is alienating good posters and killing dialogue and unity on here.

Pretty rich yeah.

I say you all because that is what we've been seeing for a long time, I haven't engaged too much in the discussion but I get the point that is made. Our coaches have their badges. They are qualified professionals, which is valid and true.

I don't think any poster is suggesting they could coach better than our coaches. I think the criticism they have is rather that the coaches have "less" of a clue than other coaches which is a very different thing. But if that's how you want to engage on a forum, that's completely fine.

I don't really like to ignore posters, but that would be a decent option. The forum should be something every poster enjoys doing probably, I don't have massive problems with the hyperbole personally and that doesnt make me any worse than you.

largelyworried

Its kind of irritating the conversations about Ole because I think my view isn't uncommon - that Ole's done a great job turning the club around and that we're in a really good place right now, but I don't honestly feel that he has what it takes to take that final step & win the big competitions. But it gets difficult to have any sort conversation because most people have become so entrenched, either dismissing everything good he's done or refusing to see his shortcomings. I think the extreme positions - hopeless vs flawless - are the loudest ones rather than the most common.

cyberman

Don't be fooled, those coaches aren't qualified to train professional players, they don't know what are they doing. Caf experts claimed.
Just throw in the phrase patterns of play and pretend that we can 100 percent analyse tactical structures through a tv screen and you’re golden

cyberman

Its kind of irritating the conversations about Ole because I think my view isn't uncommon - that Ole's done a great job turning the club around and that we're in a really good place right now, but I don't honestly feel that he has what it takes to take that final step & win the big competitions. But it gets difficult to have any sort conversation because most people have become so entrenched, either dismissing everything good he's done or refusing to see his shortcomings. I think the extreme positions - hopeless vs flawless - are the loudest ones rather than the most common.
Here’s the thing, you can say Ole doesn’t have it in him to win big competitions but this is the first squad that he has that allows him do do so. If that’s true then what can we judge that from?
Look at who we bought this summer and see how many pundits and Utd fans are saying we still won’t win the league. Go back about 8 months and Ole was getting destroyed for not getting close to City and making a run for the league. It doesn’t make much sense.

b82REZ

Depending if you hate or love him.

If you're passionate about pattern of play, coaching, elite coaches, then that can be seen as excuses.
No it doesn't. An excuse is an excuse no matter how much you try and convince yourself otherwise.

Eriku

Good luck amassing quotes suggesting he’s flawless. Whereas hopeless you can swing a dead cat and find.
Pretty rich yeah.

I say you all because that is what we've been seeing for a long time, I haven't engaged too much in the discussion but I get the point that is made. Our coaches have their badges. They are qualified professionals, which is valid and true.

I don't think any poster is suggesting they could coach better than our coaches. I think the criticism they have is rather that the coaches have "less" of a clue than other coaches which is a very different thing. But if that's how you want to engage on a forum, that's completely fine.

I don't really like to ignore posters, but that would be a decent option. The forum should be something every poster enjoys doing probably, I don't have massive problems with the hyperbole personally and that doesnt make me any worse than you.
Never said I’m better than you. Anyway, you’re right, it’s my problem. Maybe I’ll just stick to reddit and the General.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Here’s the thing, you can say Ole doesn’t have it in him to win big competitions but this is the first squad that he has that allows him do do so. If that’s true then what can we judge that from?
Look at who we bought this summer and see how many pundits and Utd fans are saying we still won’t win the league. Go back about 8 months and Ole was getting destroyed for not getting close to City and making a run for the league. It doesn’t make much sense.
But the thing is that, is that actually true? Our squad was no worse than Chelsea's for example and especially in depth not much worse than Liverpool's. Even Spurs has made it to a CL final with just a few world class players.

We still had one of the most expensive assembled squads ever last season with heavily invested in players, it is certainly better now and Ole has done well to do it. But it isnt that he needs a perfect squad before it is possible to win big competitions or even challenge for it. That's probably another criticism for him, whilst he has done quite a good job.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Good luck amassing quotes suggesting he’s flawless. Whereas hopeless you can swing a dead cat and find.

Never said I’m better than you. Anyway, you’re right, it’s my problem. Maybe I’ll just stick to reddit and the General.
I dont identify as the posters you were talking about, so I didnt feel attacked. You use words and phrases like ; vitriolic contingent, people using this forum as a canvas for their jumped up emotions rather than decent discussion, it’s only getting worse, and is alienating good posters and killing dialogue and unity.

I think it is fair to say that in that regard you think there are better fans/posters than others.

I hope everyone enjoys the caf nonetheless, unless moderators come inbetween, these posts probably aren't going to change the behaviour or debates some don't like.

matsdf

But the thing is that, is that actually true? Our squad was no worse than Chelsea's for example and especially in depth not much worse than Liverpool's. Even Spurs has made it to a CL final with just a few world class players.

We still had one of the most expensive assembled squads ever last season with heavily invested in players, it is certainly better now and Ole has done well to do it. But it isnt that he needs a perfect squad before it is possible to win big competitions or even challenge for it. That's probably another criticism for him, whilst he has done quite a good job.
And we finished two places (and seven points) ahead of them on the table.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
And we finished two places (and seven points) ahead of them on the table.
Well yeah, but tbh that wasnt for a full season under Tuchel but I don't really get the point you're making.

I'd say with quite a similar squad quality, they won a big trophy. So to say, it wasnt possible for Ole to win one because he never had the squad quality to, seems odd.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

^ Found this both cringe and bloody brilliant at the same time :lol:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Im curious: Caf posters who are Ole out or Ole in doubt:

What teams in the Premier League plays bettef football than Manchester United currently, and what exactly are they doing better? Preferably list an example so the reader can know what you're refering to. A list with name: Reason; example would be awesome.

Paul_Scholes18

Im curious: Caf posters who are Ole out or Ole in doubt:

What teams in the Premier League plays bettef football than Manchester United currently, and what exactly are they doing better? Preferably list an example so the reader can know what you're refering to. A list with name: Reason; example would be awesome.
City, Liverpool and Chelsea have more impressive record with the managers they got. Rodgers done better with Leicester although I expect us to beat them with what we got.

Our attack is as good on paper as the rest, but the manager quality is what standout.

We can win it with our squad, but we need Ole to manage us better to do so.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Whichever side of the fence you sit on, it can't be overlooked that Ole and his tactics will be under greater scrutiny and expectations will understandably be much higher this season and rightly so. This has to be considered a title winning side now, we're stacked with class and if we're scrabbling round come next May, struggling to reach top 4, then Ole's suitability as head coach has to be questioned. At the very least we should be having a proper tilt at the league title this season even if we don't win it.

Ole's really transformed the makeup of our squad, most of the sh*t gone and some top pros signed all over the pitch. He's done a fantastic job building a team, now it's his job to get the best out of it.

Last edited:

Mickson

Brighton also plays better football than us. They are much better in the build-up phase and play more exciting football. If they had our squad, they would be seriously dangerous. They create so many good chances due to their football. So many neat passing moves. If Potter keeps impressing, I can see him being a choice for United in the future.

Re coaching, when we talk about coaching license, I have a friend who has a UEFA B license and if I put it delicately: He thinks Ole can improve his coaching. But I guess he's just another "patterns of play"-nonsense guy who just wants to be hip.

Womp

idiot
Brighton also plays better football than us. They are much better in the build-up phase and play more exciting football. If they had our squad, they would be seriously dangerous. They create so many good chances due to their football. So many neat passing moves. If Potter keeps impressing, I can see him being a choice for United in the future.

Re coaching, when we talk about coaching license, I have a friend who has a UEFA B license and if I put it delicately: He thinks Ole can improve his coaching. But I guess he's just another "patterns of play"-nonsense guy who just wants to be hip.
I'm a big fan of potter and Brighton play some brilliant stuff, I agree. Wouldn't be surprised to see him move to a Southampton/Spurs level club next and impressing before moving to a major club.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
:lol:

They’re all fart and no shit. Lots of pretty passing around the middle because their opponents are more than happy for them to do that for 90 minutes because they take very few risks in the last 3rd. You put Potter in charge of United’s squad and it would be a complete waste of the attacking talent we have.

I don’t want to watch a team with Pogba, Bruno, Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho, Ronaldo et al spending the match making pretty passing angles around the middle third, we have a ruthless set of players who go for the throat.

Fluctuation0161

You do understand that these are excuses?
Please see the word, "reasons" which is more accurate.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/excuse

excuse
noun [ C ]
UK /ɪkˈskjuːs/ US /ɪkˈskjuːs/

B1
a reason that you give to explain why you did something wrong:
He'd better have a good excuse for being late.
I've never known him to miss a meeting - I'm sure he'll have an excuse.
There's no excuse for that sort of behaviour.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Whichever side of the fence you sit on, it can't be overlooked that Ole and his tactics will be under greater scrutiny and expectations will understandably be much higher this season and rightly so. This has to be considered a title winning side now, we're stacked with class and if we're scrabbling round come next May, struggling to reach top 4, then Ole's suitability as head coach has to be questioned. At the very least we should be having a proper tilt at the league title this season even if we don't win it.

Ole's really transformed the makeup of our squad, most of the sh*t gone and some top pros signed all over the pitch. He's done a fantastic job building a team, now it's his job to get the best out of it.
Think no one is going to argue that stance. Hes been properly backed now and if we somehow end up doing worse than last year, he should be replaced, simple as that

A good run in the CL and domestic cups and a very comfortable top 4 finish should be the bare minimum

Fluctuation0161

I think it fair enough if you think Ole does not have what it takes to make the final step. But the reality is, he has only had the squad to win major trophies from one month ago! I would say this season will be a good test for him. I'll assess again at the end of the season.

Eriku

No disagreement there. I won’t say we need to win silverware, but we certainly need to look competitive for the bigger ones. If we can’t do that with this squad then I fear Ole’s reached his limit.

b82REZ

Please see the word, "reasons" which is more accurate.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/excuse

excuse
noun [ C ]
UK /ɪkˈskjuːs/ US /ɪkˈskjuːs/

B1
a reason that you give to explain why you did something wrong:
He'd better have a good excuse for being late.
I've never known him to miss a meeting - I'm sure he'll have an excuse.
There's no excuse for that sort of behaviour.
:lol:.

It's an excuse, no matter how you try to spin or links to dictionary.com you post. We can both do that

Here are some synonyms for excuses.

noun
plural noun: excuses

justification

defence

reason

explanation

mitigating circumstances

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
:lol:

They’re all fart and no shit. Lots of pretty passing around the middle because their opponents are more than happy for them to do that for 90 minutes because they take very few risks in the last 3rd. You put Potter in charge of United’s squad and it would be a complete waste of the attacking talent we have.

I don’t want to watch a team with Pogba, Bruno, Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho, Ronaldo et al spending the match making pretty passing angles around the middle third, we have a ruthless set of players who go for the throat.
I don't mean this in an aggressive way, but have you watched much of Brighton? They were renowned last season for creating a boat load of chances in loads of games and their strikers squandering most of them. He'd run riot with our attack.

I can't remember the stats exactly, and I'm not usually one for stats, but statistically I think they should have been in the european places at the end of the season. Hell, I remember them carving us open all over the place when we played them, they genuinely played us off the pitch and we had no answer to some of their tactics (LB attacking in behind AWB etc).

One poster made a good post about Potter and his journey in football so far and it was far more impressive than Ole's. His only problem is that he isn't a legend at a big club or I believe he'd have been given a chance already, eg Ole.

cyberman

Chelsea only signed 1 player this summer and there’s still an opinion out there that they have the strongest squad in the league. We signed a player that literally scored more than him, signed two other fantastic players and a lot of fans still have Chelsea above us.
Being one of the strongest squads in the league isn’t enough when the strongest is your direct competition for the title.
I have actually argued and shared your opinion, we don’t need a perfect squad to win the league but I’ve had arguments on here during last season saying our squad had no business beating City to the title because of how many flaws our first 11 had. I was told no it was all down to Ole and mismanagement. Those same posters now say we can’t win the league despite our signings because we don’t have a DM. Those two points of view just do not mash well IMO and I can’t make sense of it

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I'm struggling with some arguments here. There's a few of you who seem "resigned" that we're going to battle to make top4.

We've not struggled to do that the past 2 seasons, and we've strengthened substantially. Why the glaring pessimism?

Mickson

I don't mean this in an aggressive way, but have you watched much of Brighton? They were renowned last season for creating a boat load of chances in loads of games and their strikers squandering most of them. He'd run riot with our attack.

I can't remember the stats exactly, and I'm not usually one for stats, but statistically I think they should have been in the european places at the end of the season. Hell, I remember them carving us open all over the place when we played them, they genuinely played us off the pitch and we had no answer to some of their tactics (LB attacking in behind AWB etc).

One poster made a good post about Potter and his journey in football so far and it was far more impressive than Ole's. His only problem is that he isn't a legend at a big club or I believe he'd have been given a chance already, eg Ole.
According to expected points, they should've only been four points after United. Brighton was (after Fulham) the most ineffective team in the league were United (after Tottenham) was the most effective team in the league. United constantly overachieve set to xG, that is a trend this season too for United. Brighton, however, has been really effective so far and overachieved too. I haven't seen them this season yet but I guess they most have changed something. I was surprised that Spurs didn't go for Potter, maybe it was impossible.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I rate Potter, he's a decent Manager. But some of you in here are way over rating his team and abilities. Wasn't so long ago Eddie Howie was the messiah and look how that turned out. He's the one picking and signing their attacking players, perhaps he's a bit shit at picking out a decent striker which is a worry in itself.

pocco

loco
I rate Potter, he's a decent Manager. But some of you in here are way over rating his team and abilities. Wasn't so long ago Eddie Howie was the messiah and look how that turned out. He's the one picking and signing their attacking players, perhaps he's a bit shit at picking out a decent striker which is a worry in itself.
I never rated Howe or bought into the hype on here. But look at Ole's record at Cardiff, he signed practically a new squad and had them relegated, then took them to the bottom of the Championship before the next manager came in and steadied the ship. I'm pretty sure Potter wouldn't have chosen Neal Maupay if Cristiano Ronaldo was an option.

OleBoiii

Oh my god, why are people still going on about Ole's time in Cardiff?! :lol: I don't often use the word "stupid" to describe people but now I'm seriously tempted...

pocco

loco
I think it fair enough if you think Ole does not have what it takes to make the final step. But the reality is, he has only had the squad to win major trophies from one month ago! I would say this season will be a good test for him. I'll assess again at the end of the season.
In your opinion. That's the grey area. Many felt we should have been better last season. Chelsea didn't have a better squad and won the CL. Our CL group elimination and EL final was a bit of a disgrace.

It's a never ending roundabout of an argument that I got bored of a long time ago. I have my opinion, I also said that I thought we'd try and throw ridiculous money at the playing squad to make Ole successful, which we have. Let's see what happens, but I'll never believe he is the best or one of the best out there.

pocco

loco
Oh my god, why are people still going on about Ole's time in Cardiff?! :lol: I don't often use the word "stupid" to describe people but now I'm seriously tempted...
You're stupid if you don't see the relevance. It might suit you to compare Ole's £100m's spent at Manchester United vs Potter at fecking Brighton, but it's a stupid bloody comparison to make. Anybody with common sense can see that.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Chelsea only signed 1 player this summer and there’s still an opinion out there that they have the strongest squad in the league. We signed a player that literally scored more than him, signed two other fantastic players and a lot of fans still have Chelsea above us.
Being one of the strongest squads in the league isn’t enough when the strongest is your direct competition for the title.
I have actually argued and shared your opinion, we don’t need a perfect squad to win the league but I’ve had arguments on here during last season saying our squad had no business beating City to the title because of how many flaws our first 11 had. I was told no it was all down to Ole and mismanagement. Those same posters now say we can’t win the league despite our signings because we don’t have a DM. Those two points of view just do not mash well IMO and I can’t make sense of it
I think Chelsea have a very deep squad, a lot of good attackers, midfielders, defenders. A combined XI would have their keeper, James, Kante for sure, possibly Lukaku/Werner.

We also have good depth for GK, CB, LB, CAM and all forward positions. I'd say we have the better squad and last season they'd be about even. I would strongly disagree with anyone saying Chelsea had the best squad.

I see your other points and I agree with how the points don't make sense.

We did have a lesser squad than City, but we still had a squad that was capable to do more than we did I'd say. Know one knows for sure but in the event that City underperforms for various reasons or Liverpool, that doesnt always have to translate to us and our standards. Liverpool had very bad injury luck with quite a thin squad, but that doesnt mean Ole did a super amazing job with the team that we had.

I'm struggling with some arguments here. There's a few of you who seem "resigned" that we're going to battle to make top4.

We've not struggled to do that the past 2 seasons, and we've strengthened substantially. Why the glaring pessimism?
No idea, I think we should make 4th quite comfortably, have a good shot at 3rd and something might happen to City/Liverpool to even become 1st/2nd.

Based on City's season, addition of Grealish and Liverpool's past 14 games, I'd say they are clearly superior sides to us in terms of performance and they have top starting 11's, but we have so much quality now and Ole is doing a decent job and the season is long. Despite the poor to average performances the previous 3 matches, there is enough reason for optimism.

largelyworried

I think we'll comfortably make top 4, but the obvious reason why this season might be harder is that in the last few seasons several of the big teams floundered for various different reasons. This season all the opposition are in a good place. Chelsea, Liverpool and City all have equally good teams and/or squads and all have Champions League winning managers at the helm. So our safety net of Chelsea having someone like Lampard as manager or Liverpool losing all their CBs at once is unlikely to happen again.

Obviously to lose out on top 4 means someone like Leicester or Spurs getting ahead of us, and I don't see that happening, which is why I'm confident we'll make it. Equally, I can see us struggling to keep up with the other 3 teams in the long run, which means we might be the ones closest to the cut off point. That could make for an anxious season.

OleBoiii

It might suit you to compare Ole's £100m's spent at Manchester United vs Potter at fecking Brighton
I haven't done that.

Countering a stupid statement with another stupid statement doesn't make your counter any less stupid.

sport2793

You're stupid if you don't see the relevance. It might suit you to compare Ole's £100m's spent at Manchester United vs Potter at fecking Brighton, but it's a stupid bloody comparison to make. Anybody with common sense can see that.
Ole was given 9 months at Cardiff and didn't have the opportunity to bring in players to make it his team and you want to compare it to Potter at Brighton. No, you are not the one with common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.