Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
OGS is ruthless. I was convinced the minute he got fellaini out. He'll kknow exactly what needs to be done with this team- he has plans to turn us into the most fittest and hard working team in the league. Can't wait for next season.
indeed.

Must also say the board was classy in appointing him after the worst game we played under Ole.
Speaks of the faith they have in him.

The contract is fair and they were wise to retain the entire coaching staff.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Hope this Burt guy never gets promoted.
Sure, different opinions are all good, but plain negative bullcrap, isn't needed here.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
He’s obviously earned it based on his results to date and he’s a breath of fresh air, with the fans actually looking forward to the games again.

In terms of a business decision and our business is based on results, we should have waited until the summer to see how he handles this blip in form and if we make the top 4. Don’t get me wrong I’m hopeful it will work out but there was absolutely no footballing reason to make the decision now whatsoever, so I guess we just add it to yet another bad call by Woodward (in terms of the timing).

One thing is for certain we need a dof and we need to ensure Woodward is nowhere near any more footballing decisions. I read an article yesterday where it was reported he was once again vetoeing a centre back this summer! Hopefully it was a misinterpretation and he was meaning we need 2!

Anyway let’s all get behind Ole and the boys....

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I hope these reactions are remembered in the future. If it doesn’t go well, it will likely be because we are so ‘terribly run’ and ‘Woodward is clueless and must leave’. This is what we want today. Same as was said when Jose was hired. When Sanchez was signed. When Bastian was signed. When Schneiderlein was signed.

Hopefully this goes as planned, but I’m satisfied on the whole with the efforts being made.

NewDawnFades

Just seen the press conference and I'm delighted. Ole, Carrick and Phelan are a great combination that know the club, and the squad is only improving.

Gator Nate

indeed.

Must also say the board was classy in appointing him after the worst game we played under Ole.

Agreed! But the very short run of bad fortune was, IMO, more down to the squad at his disposal, not his abilities. We were running on fumes against Wolves and we all saw it coming.

I thought the announcement would be made on the first Monday of the break, but... I would suspect everyone is back in the clubhouse from said break, right? Get this out of the way now so:

1) The unknown is longer a distraction to the squad.
2) Molde can get on with the start of their season this weekend.
3) Possible signings know what's in store.

Clubs are already lining up the signings for the summer. Not having a manager in place yet would do more harm than good to that. And if we don't have a manager, how can we start lining them up ourselves?

Regardless, I'm just glad they've done it. Tired of hearing the arguments about it. I like the way he handles himself. And if you're worried about how they'll sack him years down the road... He'll go out on his own for the good of the club if and when that time comes. Of that I have no doubt.

BigRon1985

Decision made itself. Congratulations Ole, I was sceptical when he was appointed but he’s been fantastic. He’s impressed me tactically - where I didn’t expect him to be as strong. He managed the Spurs, Arsenal and PSG games brilliantly. He adapted tactically against Palace I think where he switched formations mid-game.
I agree! I was sceptical too when he was appointed but the results have spoken for themselves. I just wonder why make the appointment now and not at the end of the season? Top 4 is not a given by any means and I’m also not convinced by a 3 year deal when maybe a rolling 1 year contract would have been a safer bet bearing in mind his unproven record in the transfer market. I hope it works out for him though - he deserves a chance after the disaster Mourinho was.

Acole9

Outstanding
Absolutely gutted for Inceh, the lad deserved a chance at the job. As did Sparkeh and Bruceh.

Canagel

indeed.

Of course. If one defeat would've been enough to delay an planned announcement it would've been very worrying. 14 wins in 19 is a fantastic record. Probably should've been more as we deserved to beat liverpool and burnley.

Loublaze

ATLien
I woke up to this and some great news as well in my personal life. What a brilliant day! Glad for Ole.

laughtersassassin

I just pay Ed and the Glazer's don't feck him. Talking needing 3 starters in before pre season at least with another to come in asap.

JMack1234

I'm so so so excited to see what Ole is going to do at United.

I admit that I had my doubts. In the initial phase, there was such a relief that Mourinho had gone that I honestly think I could of managed us to victories in those early games.

However, as time has gone on we've seen that Ole is a tactically astute manager, who can manager these big personalities well and generate a connection between the players and the fans and I cannot wait to see him build a proper United team.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Agreed! But the very short run of bad fortune was, IMO, more down to the squad at his disposal, not his abilities. We were running on fumes against Wolves and we all saw it coming.

I thought the announcement would be made on the first Monday of the break, but... I would suspect everyone is back in the clubhouse from said break, right? Get this out of the way now so:

1) The unknown is longer a distraction to the squad.
2) Molde can get on with the start of their season this weekend.
3) Possible signings know what's in store.

Clubs are already lining up the signings for the summer. Not having a manager in place yet would do more harm than good to that. And if we don't have a manager, how can we start lining them up ourselves?

Regardless, I'm just glad they've done it. Tired of hearing the arguments about it. I like the way he handles himself. And if you're worried about how they'll sack him years down the road... He'll go out on his own for the good of the club if and when that time comes. Of that I have no doubt.
the Liverpool match injuries showed the lack of fitness of the squad.

The Wolves match showed some of those players coming back were still not totally match ready.

We will have a solid pre-season with the players we want to start the season with.
Everything is looking good.

peridigm

I’m delighted he’s staying but that Oleatthewheel hashtag is cringeworthy.
You think with Chevrolet being the main sponsor they would have come up with something involving a Corvette or a Camaro.

art!

Happy for Ole. I have my reservations about him as a manager and he wasn't(isn't) my first choice but I'll be made up if he proves me wrong. I wish him all the luck in the world.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
It's been big in Sweden but I just checked a Norwegian newspaper's website, front page: Picture of Solskjær celebrating after a goal with the caption saying: Has got the biggest job in football.
Oh that's great.

Terribly nervous for him. Fingers crossed all goes well.

reddevil80

Fantastic news.

I expect rough times as well as good times. I just hope other fans hold off when the wheels start to wobble.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Oh poor Amadeus

:lol:
Please show me a quote where I stated I will be disappointed by his appointment. I only expressed concern in whether he is the best choice over the likes of managers who are more experienced and accomplished.

My first choice was Pochettino and Ole was arguably my second choice as I debated whether he would be better than Zidane. The fact that you think I didn’t want Ole here is laughable. He may not have been my first choice and he wasn’t for a lot of other fans, but most of these fans accept the decision the board made and hope he does well for the club.

Toad

No other option with the way he has performed. Very happy with this, congrats.

Blueman

Supports
Man City
You've not actually said why it's a huge gamble, just that it would bad for us if he fails. Yeah no shit, it would also be very bad for us if we appoint Pochettino and he fails. There's no new insight there.
Well who is more likely to fail? An established premier league manager who has done it at a couple of clubs on a shoestring (Comparatively), or a manager who hasn't yet done that once? That's the gamble?

The consequences of failing this time are greater imo, everything else has been tried. What next? Poch?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Great, another year of mediocrity. Almost certainly not getting top 4 next year. The performances have been awful under Ole for weeks, very much Mourinho-like, not only that, but we have a whole host of average players and most of them will keep their place in the team because Ole feels bound to play youth products even if they're not good enough (Rashford and Lingard). Extremely disappointed, hoping to be proved wrong.
I would like to commend you on one of the most pessimistic attitudes of the post-Alex era. Congratulations and well done

RedDevil@84

Did Ole have any say in that though? I dont know to be honest but that seems unlikely?
He would have been asked if he wanted Phil to be here or not. I doubt we would extend if Ole didn't want him here anymore.

crossy1686

career ending
:lol:
Please show me a quote where I stated I will be disappointed by his appointment. I only expressed concern in whether he is the best choice over the likes of managers who are more experienced and accomplished.

My first choice was Pochettino and Ole was arguably my second choice as I debated whether he would be better than Zidane. The fact that you think I didn’t want Ole here is laughable. He may not have been my first choice and he wasn’t for a lot of other fans, but most of these fans accept the decision the board made and hope he does well for the club.
They're only joking. You've been a stalwart in the defence of Pochettino so expect some stick now.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Did Ole have any say in that though? I dont know to be honest but that seems unlikely?
Ole said that he had taljs with Ed about new contracts for players. So yes, Ole decided to keep Jones.
It is not just Jones. Bigger picture is that maybe Ole is happy with these 5 defenders. Which would be disaster for next season.

crossy1686

career ending
I think Fergie would have been quizzed on some of the contract renewals, also current market worth would have come into play. If the club can sell a player like Jones for £10m+ then that's more money that could go towards another transfer target.

Kag

Happy days. Good timing, too, considering we’ve had a couple of disappointing results.

I still think Paul Ince would have been worth the risk, mind.

crossy1686

career ending
Ole said that he had taljs with Ed about new contracts for players. So yes, Ole decided to keep Jones.
It is not just Jones. Bigger picture is that maybe Ole is happy with these 5 defenders. Which would be disaster for next season.
Bigger picture may be that we're only getting three players coming in and Ole would prefer us to be top heavy next season. We won't win the league or the CL but we'll outscore most which wouldn't be a bad foundation to build upon. Dare I say it, that was Liverpool of last season, this season they improved the back line and look at them...

He may have a plan spanning two seasons or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.