Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Solskjaer on his dream job
This has been my ultimate dream - this dream has always been in my mind. I’m so honoured & privileged”

Maticmaker

Although I think Ole should have the job on a full time basis, can't help feeling the club has loaded the pressure on him x 10 by doing it now, especially coming after the two defeats. There are probably a number of good reasons for it being now; Molde wanted an answer, some players were hesitating signing new contracts, not sure if Ole would be there after the end of the season, the planning for next season, especially transfers needed to be sorted, pre-season arrangements all these things could have an influence. However I would rather Ole had been given time to bounce back from the FA cup knockout with some good results, before confirmation...suppose I'm worrying unnecessarily ?

Ban

I think Ole would have accept it no matter the length. He is a relatively rookie manager and to be fair he doesn’t have plenty of chances to manage top teams besides Man Utd.

I think it would have been totally fair to offer him a 1+1 year option, like I said before all can go south real fast. We are not certain about how good is Ole, he has done great until now but he has no backup to assure us that this good run will continue.

My main issue is we seem to negotiate real bad, either overpaying for players, not being able to get rid of the deadwood, overpaying wages, and giving long contracts to managers who may not be here in one or two years.
What backup should he have? 3 year contract is not a problem at all and it's not a long one . 1 + 1 doesn't make sense, it's not that he signed for 6 years. Any manager is risky in the sense he might or he might not be in the same place in few years.

DomesticTadpole

Achievements
How proud are you?

Proud isn’t the right word, I’m happy and honoured it’s the start of something new, a fresh start. Now the hard work starts.

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
From a rival point of view I will say that I’m glad that you haven’t appointed Poch. I say that because he has the experience that Ole doesn’t. Having said that, I think that Ole is humble enough to take advise for Ferguson and so his style of football is reflective of Ferguson which can only be good for you, whereas many other managers would not tolerate another’s influence. He still is his own man of course but he will need to show his astuteness in the eye of battle particularly now as he has the added pressure of actually being the manager and not a custodian. To his credit he seems to be a manager that has a bit of class too.

DomesticTadpole

16:04
On the future
When SAF first took over he vowed to knock Liverpool off their perch

I’m just going to be my self I know the expectations of the club of course I want to be successful but I can’t wait to get on to the challenge of improving this great bunch of players, a squad full of potential. We have worked for three months and the improvement is there to be seen. There’s so much more to come from them.

Moriarty

Not surprised that he got the job, but I am surprised that they did it now. I thought for sure they would wait until the season ended to make it permanent
Me too. Ole has done really well so far and I hope it continues, but I thought they would wait until summer and look over all the options, but maybe they had sounded out other potential candidates and didn't get anywhere.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Me too. Ole has done really well so far and I hope it continues, but I thought they would wait until summer and look over all the options, but maybe they had sounded out other potential candidates and didn't get anywhere.
The point about his staying maybe playing in our favour when it comes to renegotiating contracts is a decent one.

Canagel

And the pochettino arse lickers can all sod off now. Got tired of their hyping and pointless comparisons.

lukepowell1988

Great decision hopefully builds momentum to carry us over the final hurdle and into the top 4.

It's then a case of making sure he brings in top talent in the summer.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I'm so happy. Now all We need to do is to calm down the next time a result don't go our way. We have the correct man for the job, now We need to do really well in the transfer market.

*Preseason starts*

Caf : "Well that's our season fecked then, can't even beat Perth Glory in preseason. Lukaku back in his Big Chungus form, We aren't signing anyone and Ole is only a happy go lucky manager with no tactical knowledge. Bring back Berbatov."

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Not sure if this is the right time to have done this. If we get knocked out by Barcelona (likely) and then don't make top 4 has it really been a turn around in fortunes?
It's a turnaround for The Glazers - fans happy, incredibly cheap manager compared to other options, manager just happy to be here - won't be pressuring them etc, fans talking about patience and 'give him time' etc.

Dream appointment for The Glazers / Woodward, and hopefully turns out great for us actual fans in the long-term.

Canagel

Not sure if this is the right time to have done this. If we get knocked out by Barcelona (likely) and then don't make top 4 has it really been a turn around in fortunes?
Yes. Getting eliminated by barcelona should have no bearing because they are the tournament favorite.
We are only in the top 4 race because of oles work. 3 months ago we had zero expectations. He has nothing else to prove for the job so the timing is apt.

Moriarty

The point about his staying maybe playing in our favour when it comes to renegotiating contracts is a decent one.
Good point. Ole is an unknown quantity and who knows what he might be able to do in the coming transfer window. One thing is for sure; he'll have no problems promoting youth players which is big plus in my book. He's got a good backroom staff there with Phelan who has done it all before and maybe doesn't get enough credit. Carrick is still learning the ropes and I don't know that much about McKenna bar his work with the youngsters. At least we'll have continuity next season and won't have to worry about a new man coming in with all the upheaval that entails. The club needs now to back him to the hilt.

Inter Yer Nan

So happy for him and for us. He's been a breath of fresh air so far and still learning on the job. Hopefully we can finish the season strong and bring in some quality over the summer. I'm very interested to see who he's trying to bring in.

Inter Yer Nan

Yes. Getting eliminated by barcelona should have no bearing because they are the tournament favorite.
We are only in the top 4 race because of oles work. 3 months ago we had zero expectations. He has nothing else to prove for the job so the timing is apt.
Exactly. Top 4 or a deeper Champions League run is a huge added bonus. Neither of those were realistic targets when he took the job. It was always about next season and the future. The fact he's got us competing now is testament to the fantastic work he's put in.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Great decision, hopefully he has a lot of input on the dealings that will be done in the summer so this truly becomes his team and let's see where he goes from there.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
28th March 2019 - the day we got our club back. I won’t forget this day. I’m so happy I’ve not stopped talking about ole all day. I love the man and I hope he can take us back to the glory days very soon. I’ve been reading his articles etc and he just cannot speak negative about anything it is amazing. I am loving this so much

Cloud7

I hope Virgil Van Dijk has got the removals van at the ready now that landlord Ole is coming home.
Maybe Ole could let him continue staying at his place in exchange for VVD putting in a transfer request to United?

Canagel

Have just seen he plans to get new players in time for pre season.

Faab.
OGS is ruthless. I was convinced the minute he got fellaini out. He'll kknow exactly what needs to be done with this team- he has plans to turn us into the most fittest and hard working team in the league. Can't wait for next season.

Minimalist

I genuinely don't have a clue what planet some of you are on, the ones thinking bad results against fecking Barca or City means a great deal in terms of whether this is the right decision. Though it seems to be the same lot that think our bad performances under Ole have been down to 'formations' or other minor shite like that.

This is all about rebuilding the club/team up and that's a massive process that's only beginning.

We gave Shitcoat 2.5 seasons. You can at least hold your water until we see what happens in Ole's first full season. That said, changes still needed around the club which hopefully take place (DoF in particular).

tomaldinho1

OGS is ruthless. I was convinced the minute he got fellaini out. He'll kknow exactly what needs to be done with this team- he has plans to turn us into the most fittest and hard working team in the league. Can't wait for next season.
Nice guy from the outside but apparently v direct in person, a common Scandinavian trait. I think he'll have told players very honestly if he thinks they should leave and then players like Rom or Alexis, what he expects them to do to stay.

Can't wait for transfer season...

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
It was a great show of intent for the style of football he planned on us playing. Always loved that you can work out his starting line up depending on player availability and opponent, doesn't over-complicate things and our distance covered had shot up.

I love his simple but effective approach of we should always be running more than the opponent, and then skill will win us the game.

Asked about complacency in the pressers, he just goes 'players like that dont last long at Man Utd'. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.