Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
This is unbelievable. How he lowered standards in this club is amazing.
And best part is; when Jose was a coach, Solskjaer was the one who said that 2nd is not good enough for Man Utd.
Genuine question, are you reacting to the headline or the full quotes?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Some quotes from Peter Schmeichel: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...tml?ns_mchannel=rss&ito=1490&ns_campaign=1490

I don't agree with him, I'm just posting what he's said.

''You can say 'Conte is brilliant' but he doesn't hang around for more than a couple of years. We are not that football club. We tried that already. It doesn't work. Louis van Gaal didn't win the Premier League, Mourinho didn't. You say Conte or another name, it's no difference. It's about them and what they want to do in a small window of Manchester United's big history. The problem Ole has is that in this world of quick fixes and fast news he has to win yesterday. It has to be delivered now. But it's not the real world. We stopped that development for a period and our competitors closed the gap then ran away.'
This is a moronic take.
Concluding that we can't win with top couches because two has-beens failed is a ludicrous comment. Both Luis Van Gaal and Mourinho were already on a downward slope as coaches before they got here. Making a conclusion on a sample of two is just wrong.
Second, Rome wasn't built in a day, he's tight about that. Things take time. However, Ole hasn't been here a year, Ole hasn't been here 2 years...he's been here three years. He's already out longest serving manager post SAF.
The question is what's is this team building towards? Forget about signings for once, how is this team progressing tactically, structurally etc? Is it something that will eventually yield trophies?
If you are believe Peter, when is it time to conclude on Ole?

hobbers

If you are believe Peter, when is it time to conclude on Ole?
Never. That's the scam. What the owners want is a continuous period of "rebuilding" were we are always "making progress" showing our "united dna" and on the cusp of having a team that can "compete" and all the other buzzword-based drivel that people trot out.

The real goal is to maintain top four for CL money and hope the fans are lulled into the same mindset as Arsenal fans. Where eventually they just feel happy and fortunate to be playing CL football. If their American owners managed it with them it's no small wonder the Glazers figure it will work here.

Schmeichel is another brainless drone on this issue, same as Neville. One big name manager failed ergo they all would fail. Leaving out the part that our big name short-term managers were both at the lowest points of their careers.

Foxbatt

The owners have scammed a lot of fans and supporters. This is exactly what they want. Thinking we have a hope but not spending on a top class manager. Yes they have put in enough money to make fans happy but not enough to win a major trophy.
I mean they won't appoint someone like Fletcher as Technical Director when they can appoint someone who is better and experienced.

Sviken

The owners have scammed a lot of fans and supporters. This is exactly what they want. Thinking we have a hope but not spending on a top class manager. Yes they have put in enough money to make fans happy but not enough to win a major trophy.
I mean they won't appoint someone like Fletcher as Technical Director when they can appoint someone who is better and experienced.
They've put enough money to win a trophy, they're just utterly incompetent when it comes to managing the club. The thing about the Glazers is that due to Ed Woodward's shennanigans, they hit a jackpot in buying United in a very shady deal. But as businessmen, they absolutely suck. If they used United's resources even a tad bit better, this club would not only be at the top and won multiple leagues and probably a CL, as well, but also spent way less on wages and transfer fees. United is just a horribly mismanaged club from top to bottom. Fergie basically glued the whole thing by his own genius, but it was to be expected that after he leaves we'd would fall apart.

Abhinav

It is evident that despite Ole’s endeavour, he falls short in comparison to other great managers and will not be able to lead us to any major trophies. The league is a writeoff this season but I am holding out for a lucky run in one of the cups. We need to make sure we get the right manager in to replace Ole or we would be having the same discussions two years down the line.

SonyaCross493

People keep saying Ole is rubbish tactically but so was Sir Alex Ferguson. I think tactics are overrated you can have too much tactics which overloads players who like things more simple. Like Cloughie said, football is a simple game. Yes it's changed but the principals stay the same. You need some tactics but I think football nowadays is too tactical..

Ole has beat tactical genius Pep on a few occasions. If tactics was so important like people say that wouldn't have happened. Or Ole is better tactically than people think.

for example I think the players would hate Conte's tactics. I'd prefer Brendan Rodgers over Conte.

the upheaval of getting a new manager would be another few wasted years. Stick with Ole Atleast until the end of the season.

The Manchester United players need to take some responsibility. It's a mental psychological barrier that they are so inconsistent. Doing it week in week out,

Last edited:

United in sin

the upheaval of getting a new manager would be another few wasted years. Stick with Ole Atleast until the end of the season.

The Manchester United players need to take some responsibility. It's a mental psychological barrier that they are so inconsistent. Doing it week in week out,
It's only at United where the club has convinced supporters that managers need a few years to correct things. Why are Chelsea so successful despite so many managerial changes over the years?

EtH

I can see why people are disappointed in this line. But equally, people on here would ridicule him if he said we are in the title race.

He's probably just trying to deflect pressure from the players before the big game against Liverpool.
He resorts to downplaying and damage limitation mode the minute a few results don’t go his way. Always has and the fact he has the cheek to do it now means he probably always will even if we bought a brand new midfield next season. It is beyond irritating.

mu4c_20le

It's only at United where the club has convinced supporters that managers need a few years to correct things. Why are Chelsea so successful despite so many managerial changes over the years?
How come Spurs changed so many managers in the last decade and went nowhere?

Water Melon

People keep saying Ole is rubbish tactically but so was Sir Alex Ferguson. I think tactics are overrated you can have too much tactics which overloads players who like things more simple. Like Cloughie said, football is a simple game. Yes it's changed but the principals stay the same. You need some tactics but I think football nowadays is too tactical..

Ole has beat tactical genius Pep on a few occasions. If tactics was so important like people say that wouldn't have happened. Or Ole is better tactically than people think.

for example I think the players would hate Conte's tactics. I'd prefer Brendan Rodgers over Conte.

I wonder if this poster is a Man Utd fan. How on Earth was SAF rubbish tactically? Why would the players hate Conte's tactics? Why would bringing a new manager result in few wasted years, while replacing Ole at the end of the season would not? SAF is a level or two above compared to Conte, while Conte is light years ahead Ole.

Womp

idiot

You think football nowadays is too tactical, so your solution is for the club to not try to adapt to the times? You then claim you would prefer Rodgers over Conte, who most could argue has a more 'modern' approach to his tactics? Conte, if anything, plays a more 'simple' style of football.

How exactly do you know that a new manager would result in another few wasted years? We've had wasted years as the managers we've appointed haven't been good enough and the board have been too incompetent or sentimental to identify it early, that's the only reason.

Also, I wouldn't say we are really all that inconsistent. We're quite consistently playing less than the sum of our parts. One or two players, I'd understand, but when you have a whole squad you could feel could be playing better, you gotta start looking a little deeper than that imo.

Lastly, claiming SAF was rubbish tactically really did get a laugh out of me, cheers mate

Caesar2290

Never. That's the scam. What the owners want is a continuous period of "rebuilding" were we are always "making progress" showing our "united dna" and on the cusp of having a team that can "compete" and all the other buzzword-based drivel that people trot out.

The real goal is to maintain top four for CL money and hope the fans are lulled into the same mindset as Arsenal fans. Where eventually they just feel happy and fortunate to be playing CL football. If their American owners managed it with them it's no small wonder the Glazers figure it will work here.

Schmeichel is another brainless drone on this issue, same as Neville. One big name manager failed ergo they all would fail. Leaving out the part that our big name short-term managers were both at the lowest points of their careers.
Bollocks mate. If Sir Alex was afforded the same level of financial backing that the previous 2 clowns and Ole has been we would be looking at another Treble. The problem isn't the money. The problem is that the Glazers are looking at SAF's example as a way to run a club in the 21st century(i.e. give the manager enough time and a blank check book to do whatever he wants and success will follow). We have a DoF but mindset wise we are still behind top clubs.

You're making me defend the Glazers, and I'm not their biggest fan, but what you're saying doesn't make sense. If the Glazers are penny pinching why the feck would they extend the contracts of Bailly, Jones, Mata I think even Lingard is due an extension. You do realize that Fletcher is on 1/10 on what these guys are earning, right?

As things stand I think the owners are trying to follow Bayern's model aka hire ex players who understand what the club is about. This is why Rio was linked to the DoF position. I wouldn't be surprised if VDS will be considered as Woodward's replacement.

Sviken

People keep saying Ole is rubbish tactically but so was Sir Alex Ferguson.
Yes, the guy that was an absolute success everywhere he went and dominated English football for 20 years was rubbish tactically. Yeah, he was just that lucky I guess. This is such nonsense that I even wonder if it was written by a United fan at all or simply a rival WUM.

FatTails

Thats not the point he is making and obviously it takes more than just a good manager in charge. Spurs don’t have our budget, transfer fees, wage bills, or squad and haven’t had that in…ever?

InfiniteBoredom

A weird example given that the constant chopping and changing actually landed Spurs a good manager and they had one of the best period in their last few decades under him with multiple top 4 finishes and a CL final.

Caesar2290

Great example, you should use Watford as example, its even better.
Or you know... Real Madrid, Chelsea, Barcelona, Juventus, Liverpool, City or any top club for that matter really.

Also since Fergie retired Spurs finished more times in the Top4 than we did and even managed to get to a UCL final. All with the fraction of our budget.

R'hllor

Or you know... Real Madrid, Chelsea, Barcelona, Juventus, Liverpool, City or any top club for that matter really.

Also since Fergie retired Spurs finished more times in the Top4 than we did and even managed to get to a UCL final. All with the fraction of our budget.
Ehm

hobbers

Bollocks mate. If Sir Alex was afforded the same level of financial backing that the previous 2 clowns and Ole has been we would be looking at another Treble. The problem isn't the money. The problem is that the Glazers are looking at SAF's example as a way to run a club in the 21st century(i.e. give the manager enough time and a blank check book to do whatever he wants and success will follow). We have a DoF but mindset wise we are still behind top clubs.
No, it's reality. Didn't say anything about money. The Glazers are obviously fine with letting the club spend a big portion of its own generated money on players.

And obviously everyone from the Glazers, Woodward through to the kit man would rather win titles than just finish top four, but the dont actually care about the difference, and that's the attitude that trickles down. Ole should be fearing for his job if he doesn't get 85 points or more and reach the CL semi finals this season, but actually it's clear he only has to fear for his job if he fails to get top four, and that tells you everything you need to know about how out of wack the demands and expectations placed on him are.

No club that cares about winning titles is keeping Ole into his third season. No club that cares about winning titles is handing out contract extensions to a load of learn-on-the-job amateur coaches just because they're ex players.

NK86

This was a pretty shit line too:

:lol:

Just...why? Why would you come out and say we only finished ahead of them because Van Dijk got injured? What could he even be aiming for with that comment?
This is as close to what Moyes said about us aspiring to be the levels of Liverpool and City (first season in charge when the squad wasn't his own) and all the posters on here went ape shite mad. Now the tones are so mellow as if Ole hasn't spent half a billion in 3 years to create practically his own squad.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
What’s more to say?

Seeing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer makes me depressed. Listening to him is even worse. Before every game I’m filled with hopes but after 20-30 minutes of chaos it’s all the same. Sometimes a fluke goal or moments of individual brilliance can cheer me up but as soon as I see or listen to our manager my mood goes down. Everything about him screams incompetence.

After 50 years as a supporter I know how a failed manager looks like when I see one. What are we waiting for?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

What a troll

el3mel

SAF was rubbish tactically? One of the worst statements I have ever read here.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

Alex Ferguson was not rubbish tactically ffs!

Posters like you are just unbelievable. Willing to dismiss the greatest manager of all time to protect fecking Solskjaer.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

I stopped reading after first sentence. Bloody hell.

Matriac

Fergie wasn't rubbish tactically, but it wasn't his strongest feature.
I understand what the poster meant, as tactics weren't Fergie's top priority. And he brought in others that were better at it than him.
(Fergie was a legendary man manager, and excellent at mind games/tactics in the media.)

But he wasn't rubbish at tactics.
But y'all jumping to defend Fergie now is the same as how others feel when so many post that Ole is rubbish. He isn't rubbish, but he doesn't seem to be elite at tactics, nor has he proven yet that he deserves to stay beyond this season. That doesn't mean it's fair to say he's a rubbish manager or anything like that.

FatTails

Fergie wasn't rubbish tactically, but it wasn't his strongest feature.
I understand what the poster meant, as tactics weren't Fergie's top priority. And he brought in others that were better at it than him.
(Fergie was a legendary man manager, and excellent at mind games/tactics in the media.)

But he wasn't rubbish at tactics.
But y'all jumping to defend Fergie now is the same as how others feel when so many post that Ole is rubbish. He isn't rubbish, but he doesn't seem to be elite at tactics, nor has he proven yet that he deserves to stay beyond this season. That doesn't mean it's fair to say he's a rubbish manager or anything like that.
What you’re missing is that football is very different now. As more and more clubs are stacked with quality players, as sports and nutrition science increases the level of fitness of players at all clubs, tactics and coaching are becoming a differentiator and a way for one incredible, star-studded, squad to have an advantage over another incredible, star-studded, squad.

Everyone in professional sports says that every little detail matters, yet some on here seem to think that tactics and proper coaching are nice to haves?

MattofManchester

A manager wins 13 PL trophies and 2 CL titles with Manchester United, keeping the club at the top for over 2 decades against the likes of Mourinho, Mancini, Wenger and many others, but is "not that great tactically".

Keep going. This is entertaining.

captaincantona

A manager wins 13 PL trophies and 2 CL titles with Manchester United, keeping the club at the top for over 2 decades against the likes of Mourinho, Mancini, Wenger and many others, but is "not that great tactically".

Keep going. This is entertaining.
Think people are jumping on this unnecessarily. I’m not sure of the rules...can I post links to theUtd website? Rene Muelenstein does an “unscripted“ where he says exactlywhat this poor chap is trying to get across.Sir Alex was more old school and had footballing “principles” as opposed to any great tactical strategies as we often see and read about today. In his early years- tactics were nothing more than formations, set pieces, the right characters and giving the right instructions during the game. As the game developed, so did the tactical analysis of opponents and how to counter those opponents - it’s why our style changed so much in Europe. As Rene says - after all- he was there...we weren’t...during his and Quieoz’s time, Ferguson had principles which he explained to his coaches and it was his coaches who developed tactics to give effect to those principles. Don’t shoot the messengers- go read it for yourself.

the chameleon

WUM 100%!

I'm glad this clown has limited posts per day otherwise the quality of this forum would go downhill.

Lecland07

Man management seems to be a very overrated thing by some people. There are plenty of managers that keep players happy at their club; it is not something special. It takes someone trying, like Mourinho, to actually upset and lose their players. Why was he able to keep Chelsea, Inter Milan, and Porto's player happy? Because Mourinho did not try to upset his players back then.

Players are happy with managers for two reasons: they are reaching the expected level under that manager; the players believe the manager will get them to that level consistently. Ferguson had plenty of titles in the end to give the players that belief and proof that they will win under him. That is the main thing of man management at Manchester United. Personal relationships are mostly easy. The stories of managers falling out with players are in the minority, and, if there is one, it is usually about one player e.g. Guardiola and Ibrahimović.

The reason why managers lose their jobs is because they are not achieving the expectations. The players will not try to get Solskjaer sacked as that is like kicking themselves, but their lack of belief will grow and inevitably affect their performance. This is how man management actually works. I think a lot of people underrate Ferguson's tactics because he said they did not think about it too much when facing lesser opposition, but that was because they were so well drilled they did not need to think about special tactics. All they had to do in the end was send the players out and they will most likely win.

Solskjaer has to keep thinking about tactics against smaller teams because the team is not organised by standard, which it should be. That is a massive failing of Solskjaer, and a major reason why we struggle in so many games.

Status
Not open for further replies.