Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

freeurmind

weak willed
Question for those who don't think Ole should be the manager: If you got your wish and he was sacked or he walked away from the role at the end of the season, who would you like to see brought in? And realistic choices please, Pep or Klopp aren't coming.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
It all started with the quarter final loss at Wolves, losing 2-1. How one goes from playing exceptional to not being able to defeat a relegatation team is a complete mystery. Why would the players just decide to not show up? Simply due to contract negotiations and transfer rumours? It escalated quickly, from zero to 11 and the club is in the same exact position it is, every year, under every manager post SAF. Its not a bad season at all, its a characteristic season post saf. Having the likes of Pogba, Martial, Mata, Sanchez, Lukaku in the team and 6th place is all they could do under two managers. This club is in dark times, that is for sure.

jimmyb2000

I don't think anyone is saying what you imply in your first point. Most of us see it as a dead cat bounce after Mourinho got launched. Chelsea had a similar one when they got rid of Mou after he left in similar circumstances.

My point of view is that Ole looks well out of his depth. He lacks the tactical know how and simply the gravitas to be the manager of United. The nice guy persona soon lost its appeal and he now cuts a Moyes like figure in his interviews - startled, a deer in the headlights.

I think if we can get someone like Poch in the summer then sentiment needs to go out of the window.
I've got to concur with this. Feel sorry for Ole as he seems a lovely bloke but this gig is going to break him. In my opinion he has absolutely no chance of turning United around and making us a success. I take no pleasure in saying this and I would love to be proved wrong.

6 years of this utter tripe now. I thought Ole had broken the "Moyes" curse when he first came but it's been worrying watching him in the last 8 - 9 games where it just seems he hasn't a clue what to do when we're up against it. Very very Moyesesque.

Acquire Me

The manager is not the main problem. No matter which manager is here they will all have a hard time. It is the club that is the problem, the owners, Woodward, whoever does the transfer and contract negotiations. The whole club including the stadium is looking like it has seen better days.
Yes, I agree. Thats a major problem we all should agree on. It will not be easy to fix. I hope we make the right calls now and that we stick to our guns. Easy fix strategy has failed and will continue to fail imo.

Sir Scott McToMinay

I am happy that the shit opinions here dont reflect the majority of the United fans.

By now, everyone should understand that the problem runs deeper than the manager. Its way up to the top, the manager, staff and players. Major rebuild is key.

Getting rid of OGS is the solution? Really?

We might have shit years to come, but now is certainly not the time to change manager again. None of us knows if Ole can be the right fit for the changes who has to come. He might be or he might not be.

The problem for me with people waiting to sack him now is because its so damn gullible. Have you guys ever build something? You fail, you succeed, you make adjustment, you go again. It takes time!
I agree with that, but I also think the supporters should start showing their discontent with the higher ups.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yes, I agree. Thats a major problem we all should agree on. It will not be easy to fix. I hope we make the right calls now and that we stick to our guns. Easy fix strategy has failed and will continue to fail imo.
It as you say depends which strategy they take. I think Ole would be happy to rebuild with younger players with a couple of experienced signings. That fit a style he wants. I worry that Ed and the owners will just want us to get back in that Top 4 next season and will chuck money at whoever. I think the latter is doomed to failure. I would be prepared to wait if I can see that the club is on the road to somewhere good.

ArjenIsM3

Then try Laird or O'Conner, point is why do what you already know won't work.
Is the solution to throw in a youngster in a "must win" game? That's putting too much pressure on said youngster imho. I would approve of him handing out debuts to some youngsters that have been knocking on the door in the next game though.

freeurmind

weak willed
Debatable whether Poch would leave Spurs now with their new stadium and us not looking anywhere near CL football anytime soon. We'd have to throw a lot of money at him but I'm not convinced he could do any better with this group of players. And I say that as one of the biggest Poch fans on here.

Chairman Steve

He has to get rid of a numerous amount of these players or at the least, restrict their playing time next season. He should surely know that the likes of ‘Rashy’, ‘Youngy’ and ‘Jonah’ could cost him his dream job.

Classical Mechanic

Even if it was possible (highly doubtful) do you think he would turn Young Jones Lindelof Shaw into a solid back 4?
Debatable whether Poch would leave Spurs now with their new stadium and us not looking anywhere near CL football anytime soon. We'd have to throw a lot of money at him but I'm not convinced he could do any better with this group of players. And I say that as one of the biggest Poch fans on here.
My argument is that if he wants to join in the summer then we have to get rid of Ole. Poch is excellent at getting the best out of his players so I think he could get maximum level from the team.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Of course they have the ability to do so but that is just more damning on Ole. He's completely failed to arrest the slide and even get a fraction of that early form from the players. I can only guess that his set up is Micky Mouse behind the scenes and the players have completely lost faith. Remember the reports of him taking the players to The Cliff to show teach them about the good old days which supposedly was met with bemusement from the players. It's seems so reminiscent of Moyes and how the players just thought he was too small for the job.
That doesn't make any sense, mate (I mean that in the nicest possible way)

Ole must have been doing something right in order to lead the team to 10 league wins on the bounce + CL progression. We were tactically spot on for every encounter during that period; against the smaller teams, we played fast attacking football, held a high line at the back and pressed as if our lives depended on it. We smashed everything and everyone in our path.

We were a little more defensive against the bigger teams, we sat a little deeper, soaking up pressure and waiting for the opportunity to break away at deadly pace, which we did to incredible effect at times. We beat Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and PSG during that period.

There were positive vibes coming from the dressing room, players were signing new contracts and talking positively in the press. Why would the players suddenly take exception to this brand of competent and generally successful football?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Is the solution to throw in a youngster in a "must win" game? That's putting too much pressure on said youngster imho. I would approve of him handing out debuts to some youngsters that have been knocking on the door in the next game though.
Yes if you already know the senior player is beyond not good enough and the younster is good. Also can I point out that Ole has been managing United for more than one game, he has had ample chances to try some of the youngsters at RB or any of the other positions. He hasn't really taken them. Not sure any of them have even made a start under him so far.

However he does say he is ruthless, so..

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I get depressed reading the forum these days. It's even brought me on here to complain about some so called fans on this site.

Reading it and yes again, I'm going to throw around the "E" word again.

A lot of you are entitled!

By the way you talk about the club and the way that you feel that we should be playing or winning just screams entitlement and you expect the team to spank everyone 6-0 or to win each and every game and to be up there challenging for the title and every single cup.

Do I think that that's where Man Utd *should* be? Of course I do! I want Manchester United to be the powerhouse that it once used to be.

But that simply isn't the case right now. We are no where near that. Simple as that. We are no where near good enough. Liverpool. Better than us. City. Better than us. Tottenham. Better than us.

Take off your deluded rose tinted glasses and see what the club is about just for once.

Ever since Fergie left, I accepted the fact that we aren't going to be up there challenging and that's something a lot of you need to understand.

It's going to take a long time for things to get back to the way that we once were.

How do we do that?

Keep a manager in his job for longer than 6months thats how. Some of you calling for Ole's head is disgusting and absolutely bonkers. What on earth is yet another change in manager going to do? Make us even more of a laughing stock.

Also how on earth is Ole going to put a stamp on this club in 6 short months and 0 transfer windows?

Give the guy a break.

Fun fact. This squad finished second last season. second and an FA cup final What is wrong with some of you!? It's been a poor season, get over it. Do I like losing? No of course not. But I take losing gracefully and look forward to the next match. Calling for the managers head each time we lose is stupid and pathetic.

We cannot expect to be challenging for the title in the next 2 seasons and a lot of you need to understand that. It's going to take time and it's a mammoth job but with a DoF, Ole and Woodward at the helm we will get to where we want to be.

Did I just praise Woodward? Yes. Yes I did. Commercially there is no one better than Woodward, who has done fantastically for the club. Footballing side. Not so much. It works like this.

Woodward gets sponser. Sponsers give x amount of money to the club if the club achieves x,y,z. Club achieves x,y,z and sponsors give money to club. Club uses that money to re-invest in the squad and the clubs facilities. We need someone with Woodward's business know-how to get us the best deals. He knows he isn't that good at the footballing side, hence why we're getting a DoF.

Be patient some of you and enjoy the ups and downs, as you're gonna be here for a while.

freeurmind

weak willed
My argument is that if he wants to join in the summer then we have to get rid of Ole. Poch is excellent at getting the best out of his players so I think he could get maximum level from the team.
6 months ago I might have said the same. But this lot can't even beat Huddersfield with CL football as the prize. He'd come, get the same type of results and performances and be under relentless pressure. People on here would be going on about why we went for a manger who'd never won anything etc.

Wilt

Question for those who don't think Ole should be the manager: If you got your wish and he was sacked or he walked away from the role at the end of the season, who would you like to see brought in? And realistic choices please, Pep or Klopp aren't coming.
If Poch not available, then I’d want Nuno Santo.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
6 months ago I might have said the same. But this lot can't even beat Huddersfield with CL football as the prize. He'd come, get the same type of results and performances and be under relentless pressure. People on here would be going on about why we went for a manger who'd never won anything etc.
This a million times over.

Acquire Me

Ole has to change the whole environment. It is incredible how much blame he gets here when we've seen these players for years.
He has to inspire mediocre and terrible players to play above their level. I do think these players tries their best for us, but the lack of genuine quality makes any motivational work from the manager mostly obsolete.
He has to motivate our better players due to lack of professionalism and mental strength. Some of them doesn't want to play for the club, and think they are too good to take responsibility in the team. Mourinho worked these players to remedy this problem, and eventually they downed tools and got him fired, and Solskjaer is faced with the task of motivating players who really shouldn't need it, to just turn up and show some pride about the club.

We've got a squad consisting of underperforming and unprofessional good players, and hardworking players with not enough quality. On top of that the squad consist of old players, fringe players that should have been sold already. Then you have fans who'll complain if Ole is negative and if Ole is positive. If he is looking to build for the future and want time, they'll say he makes excuses. If he says the current players are good enough to compete next season, they'll say he is a unrealistic yes man.

Until Ole arrived, from Mourinho to Carrick to Pogba to Rashford, the whole atmosphere was a shambles and full of negativity. People attached all that to Mourinho and expected everything to be just fine when he left, Ole came in and they were "proven right". Lo and behold the terrible culture and atmosphere was not only due to the manager, and actually still exists inside Old Trafford without Mourinho. This is what needs to change. People are now saying Ole is incapable of changing anything, knowing full well you can't change that sort of environment over night. Ole is probably the only one seemingly positive about our future, and he'll need that to be the reality for everyone on his side, for him to do anything. He has to feel very alone and so alienated inside that atmosphere, pretty much unable to properly change it from the inside.

I think Ole is a young and talented coach, and has some interesting qualities. I can say the same for McKenna as well. If they are to work at this club they need to be properly backed to make the right adjustments above just what happens in training and in the dressing room. Even if we get another manager in now, like Poch, the same thing definitely applies. We have to make sure good, knowledgable people are in charge over a long enough period of time to change the culture and environment to something resembling other top clubs. Scratch that, just other clubs. Besides the money, we perform badly on so many levels.

Honestly, I knew Ole was not going to turn it around when our performance levels dropped, I watched that and knew the season was over, I've seen it before with these players. Only blissfully ignorant knee-jerk top reds, trolls and the top of the line media-consumer fans could possibly fall in the trap of now blaming Ole for what we all knew was coming at some point.

Obviously there are doubts about Ole's managerial pedigree and it is founded in some truth, but there is no need to let that fear or doubt further complicate what has been apparent to see for everyone. The glaring simplicity in the minds to those comparing Ole to Moyes is staggering, the lack of context... Some people genuinely think that making that comparison, like if history is repeating itself again, is some grand discovery of genius theory. They even present it as if that opinion is the solution.
Good post. I agree with everything.

It as you say depends which strategy they take. I think Ole would be happy to rebuild with younger players with a couple of experienced signings. That fit a style he wants. I worry that Ed and the owners will just want us to get back in that Top 4 next season and will chuck money at whoever. I think the latter is doomed to failure. I would be prepared to wait if I can see that the club is on the road to somewhere good.
I hope we hire a DoF, that we rebuild with young talented players that can blend with experienced players and that we stick to the plan.

I fear the same as you; Ed Woodward, the owners and the board who could very well be up for quick fix solutions.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
But he's currently on a terrible run with better players than us.

Varun

Staff
He's going to need to be absolutely ruthless in the summer. Both in culling the dross and in making sure we get top players in.

If he tries to make do, he's going to lose his job next season.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Very much so.
While I was unimpressed with him as caretaker, it was to a degree understandable.
But honestly. When any major business needs to recruit someone to such a key position, they utilise proper processes to make sure that the key requirements are defined and the very best candidate is identified and selected. I have worked for a major UK engineering company and recruitment is absolutely one of the most important factors.
So I ask you. What sort of process was used to appoint Ole. A toss of a coin?
This is not his fault but what key skills and attributes does he have.
This.

We are supposed to be an elite worldwide business.

We are awfully run organisation. Its almost shocking the level of ineptitude involved in this club.

R'hllor

There are few things i have problem with under his rain. All in all, there are positive and negatives things since he took over. At the end, he is reaping rewards of his decisions as United manager.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
If it hadn't been for us and Arsenal having a complete meltdown in April-May, Spurs would have lost out on top 4 as well. It very might well be Ole is not the man for the job ahead, but this fecked up mess we are in is not his fault. Poch inherited a good squad at Spurs and has improved it a bit. This United squad is full of pampered shits who think they are much better then they really are, and i dont think any current manager could have changed that.

If we are in the same mess next year then yeah, Ole have to go, but we are on our 4th manager since Fergie and we can keep on changing managers yearly, but it wont help until real, fundamental changes are made. Both in club structure and in the dressing room

Classical Mechanic

That doesn't make any sense, mate (I mean that in the nicest possible way)

Ole must have been doing something right in order to lead the team to 10 league wins on the bounce + CL progression. We were tactically spot on for every encounter during that period; against the smaller teams, we played fast attacking football, held a high line at the back and pressed as if our lives depended on it.

We were a little more defensive against the bigger teams, we sat a little deeper, soaking up pressure and waiting for the opportunity to break away at deadly pace, which we did to incredible effect at times. There were positive vibes coming from the dressing room, players were signing new contracts and talking positively in the press.

Why would the players suddenly take exception to this brand of competent and generally successful football?
Firstly, there was a bounce from getting rid of Mourinho, it was like a cloud had been lifted an Ole's personality meshed perfectly with that moment. I completely disagree that he was tactically spot on, we were outperforming our xG in many games and then the danger is that when the confidence and efficiency goes, we start to get on the wrong side of results. People were discussing that before the collapse. Look at the Spurs game at Wembley, we were getting absolutely destroyed with De Gea playing out of his skin, all the while Ole sat on the bench, like today, doing nothing. No adjustments, nothing. The big warning signs were there.

The PSG result was a great moment but it was a fluke, nine times out of ten we lose that game.

Once the confidence was dented after a couple of results Ole has completely lost control. In his attempt to recapture that confidence (nostalgia tours to the Cliff) he's had completely the opposite effect and compounded the slide. He's been scrambling just like he was at Cardiff when it went tits up. Tactics and personnel all over the place.

But he's currently on a terrible run with better players than us.
That's just not true though. Look at Spurs's bench, their squad is tiny through lack of investment because they built a new stadium. They signed 0 players last summer. Their small squad has run out of gas completely.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
This.

We are supposed to be an elite worldwide business.

We are awfully run organisation. Its almost shocking the level of ineptitude involved in this club.
Laughable.

A multimillion pound football club who's the second most profitable club in football is shockingly inept.

God, Jesus wept.

Last edited by a moderator:

Acquire Me

I get depressed reading the forum these days. It's even brought me on here to complain about some so called fans on this site.

Reading it and yes again, I'm going to throw around the "E" word again.

A lot of you are entitled!

By the way you talk about the club and the way that you feel that we should be playing or winning just screams entitlement and you expect the team to spank everyone 6-0 or to win each and every game and to be up there challenging for the title and every single cup.

Do I think that that's where Man Utd *should* be? Of course I do! I want Manchester United to be the powerhouse that it once used to be.

But that simply isn't the case right now. We are no where near that. Simple as that. We are no where near good enough. Liverpool. Better than us. City. Better than us. Tottenham. Better than us.

Take off your deluded rose tinted glasses and see what the club is about just for once.

Ever since Fergie left, I accepted the fact that we aren't going to be up there challenging and that's something a lot of you need to understand.

It's going to take a long time for things to get back to the way that we once were.

How do we do that?

Keep a manager in his job for longer than 6months thats how. Some of you calling for Ole's head is disgusting and absolutely bonkers. What on earth is yet another change in manager going to do? Make us even more of a laughing stock.

Also how on earth is Ole going to put a stamp on this club in 6 short months and 0 transfer windows?

Give the guy a break.

Fun fact. This squad finished second last season. second and an FA cup final What is wrong with some of you!? It's been a poor season, get over it. Do I like losing? No of course not. But I take losing gracefully and look forward to the next match. Calling for the managers head each time we lose is stupid and pathetic.

We cannot expect to be challenging for the title in the next 2 seasons and a lot of you need to understand that. It's going to take time and it's a mammoth job but with a DoF, Ole and Woodward at the helm we will get to where we want to be.

Did I just praise Woodward? Yes. Yes I did. Commercially there is no one better than Woodward, who has done fantastically for the club. Footballing side. Not so much. It works like this.

Woodward gets sponser. Sponsers give x amount of money to the club if the club achieves x,y,z. Club achieves x,y,z and sponsors give money to club. Club uses that money to re-invest in the squad and the clubs facilities. We need someone with Woodward's business know-how to get us the best deals. He knows he isn't that good at the footballing side, hence why we're getting a DoF.

Be patient some of you and enjoy the ups and downs, as you're gonna be here for a while.
Woodward should stay on the business side. Its no doubt about his quality in that area. My fear is that we dont get a DoF soon. If we get a DoF before the summer window, I think we have a great chance of a successful rebuild. It will take time though, but it will be exciting imo.

Traub

I am happy that the shit opinions here dont reflect the majority of the United fans.

By now, everyone should understand that the problem runs deeper than the manager. Its way up to the top, the manager, staff and players. Major rebuild is key.

Getting rid of OGS is the solution? Really?

We might have shit years to come, but now is certainly not the time to change manager again. None of us knows if Ole can be the right fit for the changes who has to come. He might be or he might not be.

The problem for me with people waiting to sack him now is because its so damn gullible. Have you guys ever build something? You fail, you succeed, you make adjustment, you go again. It takes time!
Where’s Griezmann

redIndianDevil

We should sack him and give it all to sign the Ajax manager or Nuno Santo.
This. I don't know why there is not a lot of noise about Nuno Santo. He has done amazing work with Wolves. He has managed top clubs and he has multiple styles of play. And for all the idiots that will bray "oh but what has he won?", he has won the championship. Winning this is a lot more difficult than winning the fecking Norwegian league.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
That's just not true though. Look at Spurs's bench, their squad is tiny through lack of investment because they built a new stadium. They signed 0 players last summer. Their small squad has run out of gas completely.
They have their first choice back 4 (far better than ours) plus Eriksen and Son available nearly every game. It's a far better base than anything Ole has had to work with. We have depth but not quality and plenty of injuries ourselves.

Rajma

I don’t blame him for inheriting this mess but not playing the youth ahead of the dross is criminal imo. I really bought into his talk around providing a fair chance and yet we’re here were meaningless games are still played by the same culprits. That’s my biggest disappointment with him.

freeurmind

weak willed
If Poch not available, then I’d want Nuno Santo.
Not 100% sure he'd come. I don't mind Nuno but how long before people comlain about the style of football? Also his teams put a real shift in, the likes of MArtial and Lukaku would struggle to get game time.

PoTMS

He should not be leading us next season. He's not the manager to lead us out of this mess - very Moyesesque. Trouble is who is?

freeurmind

weak willed
I don’t blame him for inheriting this mess but not playing the youth ahead of the dross is criminal imo. I really bought into his talk around providing the a fair chance and yet we’re here were meaningless games are still played by the same culprits. That’s my biggest disappointment with him.
I agree with this. Put Chong, Gomes, Garner in there. Dalot should have started today as well. Hope they all play the last game and Greenwood as well if he's fit.

mu4c_20le

The PSG result was a great moment but it was a fluke, nine times out of ten we lose that game.

Once the confidence was dented after a couple of results Ole has completely lost control. In his attempt to recapture that confidence (nostalgia tours to the Cliff) he's had completely the opposite effect and compounded the slide. He's been scrambling just like he was at Cardiff when it went tits up. Tactics and personnel all over the place.
Should be pointed out that this is just conjecture and, at best, your own opinion. I thought we did alright today, had a couple of decent chances, but ultimately faltered because we took too many wild shots and they scored a fluke goal against the run of play. Nine times out of ten we win today and would still have a chance at top 4, and th world wouldnt be ending on the caf.

Status
Not open for further replies.