Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

Makes sense considering the way we played
This was very obvious to everyone. And the saddest thing is we were more than likely told to do it because pundits had suddenly started talking about like it was some magic fix purely based on viral stats that showed Ronaldo didn’t do it enough… Really flies in the face of anyone claiming we have any sort of long term plan when our tactics can just change on a dime because a bunch of ex-pros and Twitter accounts said they should… which they likely only did because it was much easier to accuse the players of not running around enough than pick apart a complete lack of possessional tactics and competent ball play over 3 years.

Getting the right suitable manager in is v.important, but leaving things as they are in the long search for a new one
might be just as catastrophic, and completely waste this squad. Just a complete fecking shambles of a club rn.

hungrywing

Christ, one of the things he has been praised for ad nauseam on here was his amazing man management. Now that looks like it's fecked too. This isn't going to end well for anyone. I expect maybe a draw against Spurs, but this isn't getting fixed.
That tweet is still consistent with the players liking him and just not feeling he's tactically up to it. It doesn't necessarily mean the players expressed it with malice or vehemence, right?

So this:
Ole: Okay lads, what's the reason for our leaking goals.
Players: ......(loooong-ass silence) Hate to say it. Really do....we feel it's you.

and not this:
Players: You! You thick %&$*ing @#$^&*%!

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Agreed. I believe the situation is not salvageable for Ole for the reasons you mentioned. So it’s only a matter of time before he goes. We can only hope that somehow the decision-makers pull their fingers out in time to save the season, and to continue progressing from where Ole (should have) left off.
I love Ole and I wanted him to be a success but I can't help feel he's dug his own grave.

In March we went to City and, as we tend to, we beat them. We played a compact shape, we didn't give up tons of space with crazy man to man closing down, we used the width and countered with menace.

He could have continued doing that this season. He has chosen not to. The results have been predictable.

Spot on. Their lack of foresight is simply shocking and it's not like the Liverpool game was some kind of completely unexpected cataclysm, there were plenty of warning signs and critical voices before it.
It pains me to say this about Ole but he has created this situation for himself. Its no wonder faith in him has evaporated when he has insisted, through a string of bad results, in talking about 424 and playing on the front foot. Honestly, the things he was saying after the game sounded deluded.

This was very obvious to everyone. And the saddest thing is we were more than likely told to do it because pundits had suddenly started talking about like it was some magic fix purely based on viral stats that showed Ronaldo didn’t do it enough… Really flies in the face of anyone claiming we have any sort of long term plan when our tactics can just change on a dime because a bunch of ex-pros and Twitter accounts said they should… which they likely only did because it was much easier to accuse the players of not running around enough than pick apart a complete lack of possessional tactics and competent ball play over 3 years.

Just a complete fecking shambles of a club rn
I feel that, this season, Ole's managed the way he feels a United team should play. Rather than looked at his resources, accepted what they can do and played the kind of counter attacking football that won him the job in the first place.

And that, to me, is even more frightening than the scarring we got at the weekend. Cos it suggests the job is too big for him.

Once you fall into the trap of managing expectations instead of managing the way you're comfortable with you're done. You would never see elite coaches change their approach just cos everyone else says they should. They have a way of doing things and a belief in that way, right or wrong, that they stick to.

Ole's bouncing from pillar to post. He looks lost.

Revan

Assumptionman
From a pragmatical POV, we are still a few points away from the top, so I guess that's not enough "break down level" for Ole and the board. I'm not trying to defend him, I was one of the persons who wanted a change in the staff (not only the manager) so we can keep our evolution.
I will be grateful for Ole as a player and for giving us stability (things could had gone horribly wrong after Mourinho's sacking), but this seasons we should had embrace the fact that we needed to go next level.
My guess is the board fears a Mourinho V2 situation if they appoint a top manager again and that's keeping them to sign a new manager and technical staff. At this moment we are in the edge: we have a fantastic team on "paper" but the football is not reaching the squad level.
Horseshit. This was said here, we are just 1 points below the top, then three points, then Liverpool happened.

We have only 14 points in 9 matches. The only really good team we played was Liverpool, and we had the worst defeat against them in more than a hundred years. We have yet to play Spurs, City, Chelsea and Arsenal.

In UCL, we have to play Atalanta and Villareal away, two teams that arguably should have won the match in OT (in case of Villareal, there is not much to argue about that).

It is fecking depressing, worse than it has ever been since Fergie left.

Roboc7

I think it’s fine to take time with next appointment and not just consider who is easily available but Ole shouldn’t be in charge for anymore games. It’s a shambles now and there is no turning it round, we shouldn’t be writing off games.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Whether acute pain meant the hierarchy would act over Solskjaer was unclear for a period on Monday. But by nightfall it transpired he will very likely be given the opportunity to rectify matters, starting at Tottenham on Saturday.
There was unequivocal backing after the defeat to Leicester and while it was possible to detect a slight softening of that tone post-Liverpool, Solskjaer still has support from above for the moment. In the past fortnight key directors have privately voiced a determination to plan long-term with the Norwegian.
From The Athletic.

Lewnited

From a pragmatical POV, we are still a few points away from the top, so I guess that's not enough "break down level" for Ole and the board. I'm not trying to defend him, I was one of the persons who wanted a change in the staff (not only the manager) so we can keep our evolution.
I will be grateful for Ole as a player and for giving us stability (things could had gone horribly wrong after Mourinho's sacking), but this seasons we should had embrace the fact that we needed to go next level.
My guess is the board fears a Mourinho V2 situation if they appoint a top manager again and that's keeping them to sign a new manager and technical staff. At this moment we are in the edge: we have a fantastic team on "paper" but the football is not reaching the squad level.
I really hope the board don't think like this, we're currently closer to 17th placed Leeds than we are the top... with Spurs, City, Arsenal and Chelsea in our next five games :lol:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
As it stands, Ole is in Dubai, Glazers at Swansea Market buying cockles and Fred is in charge of training ground.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Why would winning on Saturday rectify matters (The Athletic)?

Surely the question is whether Ole is good enough in a general sense. And also whether he is going to fail to get in the Champions League.

If the players have decided on their part then there is no coming back. I know a lot of you like Ten Hag but Conte is the man for the job right now because he’s strong and sure to get at least Champion’s League football. Ten Hag could have been hired last summer when Ole threw the Europa League away. If you wait for Ten Hag until next summer then that’s a season outside the Champions League again. That is surely not an option, is it?

Of course you could buy Ten Hag and get him in early. But, I wouldn’t be that sure of him being very able to play for results mid season. Conte would sort the squad out now.

Shark

@NotShark
We're the worst run club in the planet it's not even a debate at this point. For a manager to survive Sunday let alone what's come before it is far beyond anything I've ever seen in my lifetime watching this sport.

ash_86

Looks like the board is trying to delay the sack until the International Break.

Kaos

Surely the question is whether Ole is good enough in a general sense. And also whether he is going to fail to get in the Champions League.

If the players have decided on their part then there is no coming back. I know a lot of you like Ten Hag but Conte is the man for the job right now because he’s strong and sure to get at least Champion’s League football. Ten Hag could have been hired last summer when Ole threw the Europa League away. If you wait for Ten Hag until next summer then that’s a season outside the Champions League again. That is surely not an option, is it?

Of course you could buy Ten Hag and get him in early. But, I wouldn’t be that sure of him being very able to play for results mid season. Conte would sort the squad out now.
I think we have to be realistic about what we could achieve with a new manager this season - Conte, Ten Hag or anyone else for that matter. The way I look at it, this season is another dead rubber for us irrespective of whether Ole stays or we bring a new manager in. I would however like us to avoid the mistakes and short-term fixes of previous appointments and hire someone like Ten Hag. The sooner he gets to work with this team the better. Otherwise we'd be back at square on looking for a new 'culture reboot' within two years.

Roboc7

The problem is everyone at the club thinks they are doing a good job, that three year contract given to Ole was stupid but it was everyone at the club patting themselves on the back. All thinking how great they are, what a good rebuild and reboot, the Utd way was back.

In reality it was a house of cards, results glossed over performances and every senior position from a football perspective has been given to a rookie like Fletcher, someone totally under qualified like Ole or someone who has been here through out years of failure Murtough/Woodward.

This reflects badly on everyone and now people are either clueless what to do or want to see if they can ride it out and get back to patting themselves on the back. As you say one game changes nothing either way, the core problems aren’t going away.

Ole is now the worst person to have in the job for any more games, he’s done. Anyone as a caretaker would be better until they sort themselves out.

Eddy_JukeZ

The entire board is living in la la land.

They really planned on having Ole manage us for 10+ years.

Just incredible lunacy at display here. What a sad state of affairs.

redshaw

Getting the right suitable manager in is v.important, but leaving things as they are in the long search for a new one
might be just as catastrophic, and completely waste this squad. Just a complete fecking shambles of a club rn.
This Ronaldo thing has been annoying, like he supposed to the keep the oppo in their half while the rest bake cakes. It's a red herring.

The true player stats show what's happening, and are so damning, the players have stopped, we're bottom of the league. We're getting outplayed because tackles and workrate have stopped throughout the team, unfit players are making error after error leading to goals.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I think we have to be realistic about what we could achieve with a new manager this season - Conte, Ten Hag or anyone else for that matter. The way I look at it, this season is another dead rubber for us irrespective of whether Ole stays or we bring a new manager in. I would however like us to avoid the mistakes and short-term fixes of previous appointments and hire someone like Ten Hag. The sooner he gets to work with this team the better. Otherwise we'd be back at square on looking for a new 'culture reboot' within two years.
True, but you need to believe you can qualify for the Champions League and you need to actually do it. No way do you write the season off. Conte would surely get you there. Ten Hag I’d be less sure mid season.

I don’t think you can have a caretaker and wait for Ten Hag. You’ll miss out on Champions League doing that and sure
y that’s not an option.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Plenty of time left in the season. You don't write off the season in October. Salvaging top 4, competing in the CL, fighting for the FA Cup.. that's the expectation for us.

Robbie Boy

That tweet is still consistent with the players liking him and just not feeling he's tactically up to it. It doesn't necessarily mean the players expressed it with malice or vehemence, right?

So this:
Players: ......(loooong-ass silence) Hate to say it. Really do....we feel it's you.

and not this:
Players: You! You thick %&$*ing @#$^&*%!
It's not just that, it's been the constant leaks since yesterday.

IrishBlue1

Supports
Everton
Im surprised he's still there after that on Sunday. He should have had the good grace to resign after the match. If not, the club should be telling him it's not working and sack him. Its good not to have a sacking culture but it's not working out is it.

Even if Man Utd manage to beat Spurs at the weekend I can't see a turnaround or run that would change it all.
Man Utd were an absolute shambles on Sunday. Its been quite a fall from the Ferguson years that results like that against Liverpool happen, quite easily could have been 7 or 8.

Get rid now and try and get a bounce in the next 2 games v Spurs then Man City, and try and salvage the season.

Last edited:

Sviken

Cut the BS, please. It's perfectly fathomable that he believes within himself that he can turn it around for the club. Even if that's wrong, it doesn't make him a mercenary.
It's fine to be Ole out but cut the hyperbole and character assassination.
I wouldn't call him a mercenary, but he is definitely waiting for the paycheck. There is no chance in hell he believes he can turn this around when players are actively questioning his tactics in the media and interview. There's no coming back from this. United legend as a player either way, but a terrible manager. Clueless management continues to make this club into a joke.

If he resigned honorably, I'd reckon many people would praise him, regardless of the result and that he is not good enough. But when he gets sacked, for right or wrong, many people would be left with a bitter taste in their mouth when it comes to Ole.

tomaldinho1

I’m amazed he’s still here. The dressing room has clearly gone, the media have been briefed, the message that we accept that result and accept our performances this season is awful.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I’m amazed he’s still here. The dressing room has clearly gone, the media have been briefed, the message that we accept that result and accept our performances this season is awful.
Unfortunately I am beginning to think we have gone back to Sir Matt Busby era. I love SAF but he really should not be involved with any decision making now. He made one decision that set us back years.

Idxomer

The entire board is living in la la land.

They really planned on having Ole manage us for 10+ years.

Just incredible lunacy at display here. What a sad state of affairs.
They really did.

They got Phelan back, put Fletcher in a high position, and Fergie and David Gill became big players in decision-making again.

They probably thought it's 2007 again, they even brought Ronaldo back.

TheLord

I will be completely convinced that United are the worst run top professional football club in Europe if Ole isn't sacked before the next competitive match.

How can you imagine continuing with a manager who everyone knows will be inevitably fired? That's the height of being disrespectful to the game, the club, the players, the supporters, everyone.

Okay, even if Conte agreed to join only after the international break (or Zidane changes his mind in the interim), Ole should be sacked NOW and an interim manager (within or outside the current coaching staff) asked to manage for whatever it takes to appoint a proper manager.

Asking Ole to continue managing the team will disrupt the squad further and continually send negative vibes into the dressing room and beyond. This will surely have long-term repercussions. Imagine all that negativity (press, social media, pundits, fans, TV) eating into the fledgling careers of the young players.

BarstoolProphet

You guys need patience. He will get the sack soon. Even Bin Salman had to wait a gameweek to get rid of Bruce and he doesn't wait for anyone.

Hopefully the silence means that they are working on getting someone like Ten Hag in, instead of them just sitting there in the boardroom without a clue on what to do next.

Robbie Boy

Remember Steve Kean just couldn't be sacked for a period of time at Blackburn, despite looking utterly atrocious? Looks like Ole is getting that treatment.

BarstoolProphet

Remember Steve Kean just couldn't be sacked for a period of time at Blackburn despite looking utterly atrocious? Looks like Ole is getting that treatment.
Kean was buddies with the Indian owners, wasn't he? I remember something about him and his agent being connected to the Blackburn takeover back then.

Josh 76

You guys need patience. He will get the sack soon. Even Bin Salman had to wait a gameweek to get rid of Bruce and he doesn't wait for anyone.

Hopefully the silence means that they are working on getting someone like Ten Hag in, instead of them just sitting there in the boardroom without a clue on what to do next.
Maybe it’s true, but this was a big opportunity for the Club to make a statement to say that result on Sunday was not acceptable at this Club. To get hammered like that and have those scousers pissing on our grave was worse than a slow death.

This is the day Utd have sold their soul. I’ve had enough of this great club I have supported all my life. All those years it was drilled into me Liverpool are the enemy, we never bow to them at any cost. All that has been taken away with them Keeping Ole after what he did on Sunday ! Unforgivable Ole.

Green Arrow

I feel like our protests did feck all.
First off I'm not defending the owners and Ole they all need to go.

I think they did do something with the protests called off the Liverpool game last season, they then "Wanted to communicate" more with the fans and also wanted to sell some shares to fans. That has been swept under the carpet when they went on and got Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane.

Status
Not open for further replies.