Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaldinho1

He went there to play for the draw and it didn't seem like he had an actual plan B.

I thought we were actually lucky that we conceded early and Varane got injured because it forced his hand to change the formation. We did sweet feck all between that 25 minutes of football starting from conceding the first goal and Varane getting injured. Both team's formation cancelled out each other and we had a massive struggle building up from the back.
Precisely. We complain about a lack of patterns under Ole but on pattern is reoccurring, his plan A is poor 9 times out of 10 and leads to us conceding first and then, when forced to be less defensive, we always then look better.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Yeah, Liverpool result was coming for some time, not even Leicester loss made Ole change something for Liverpool and then disaster happened. He only changed formation after 5-0 to save his job as it was his very last chance. Before that, we played in the same way for months and Ole either didn't want to change anything or didn't know what had to be changed. Either way, it's enough reason to sack him.
Those who understand the game know the meaning of "You win or lose a game of football in midfield".
It simply means controlling the game.
When have we done that under Ole in any significant manner?

Ole has certain inherent critical weaknesses that will prevent him ever from being a top coach.
He cannot think on his feet. When something goes wrong he flounders and panics.
The Young Boys match is a prime example.
He lacks the self belief in standing up to players. He plays the same players even if they are not fit or tired.
That does not get us the results but also destroy players who can step in and do the job.
Favourites like Maguire and Bruno play always. While letting players like Donny, Sancho, Bailly and Lindgard rot on the bench.
Why did Lingard do so well at West Ham?
He does not truly believe in a system of how a team should play. If he did he would have built a team around that system.
Instead we have a bunch of big names who don't fit. We get results because of individual brilliance sometimes.
But when we come up against a proper side we fall flat.

He may have scored That goal, but his actions since becoming a manager shows he does not love this club.
Allowing a parasite board to hide behind him and continue to hollow out the club.
He should have quit after the Liverpool match.

I applaud my mates who tore up their season tickets after having stood for yonks at the Stretford End and refuse to watch this shower.

L1nk

Whilst this isn't all that explains Maguire's poor form, Ole has a huge track record of doing this and it's worrying, seeing it with Varane now as well by the looks

united for life

The funny thing is he wanted a big squad to rotate which means when a player is not in form, you take him out. What Ole does is has a list of favourite players. Maguire, AWB, Shaw, McFred, Pogba, Bruno, Rashford and now Ronaldo.

These players play regardless of form, only a major injury can stop them playing. What is the point of a squad when you are going to play these players?

Why not give Bailly a chance, Donny, Sancho?

I mean Pogba does the same things over and over again, got a red card, comes straight back into the team, Rashford after injury straight into the team

Its really annoying when we have a squad, if its not workingm, try something different!
i’ve defended Ole for a long time on the grounds that we have a thin squad. I believe we lost the europa league final was due to the fact that we really had no one on the bench to come in and make a difference (at least one main reason). But now, we have a big squad, a decent one which should be used. He needs to start rotating players; i can’t imagine seeing maguire start next game for instance. The guy is struggling, he needs time away, the team needs him to be away. We have bailly who showed yesterday (like whenever he plays) that he is a reliable center back. No excuses there.

i really hope Ole takes these decisions. He has a squad other managers dream of

Ixion

There is no justification for starting Maguire at Leicester over Bailly. It's just poor management and has probably hurt the confidence of both players.

Swedish_Plumber

There is no justification for starting Maguire at Leicester over Bailly. It's just poor management and has probably hurt the confidence of both players.
He’s desperate. Knows the pressure was on big time this season with it being year 3 and given the transfers in the summer.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The fact that the 352 was abandoned once Varane got injured shows you the cluelessness in his management.
I honestly believe we'd have beaten Spurs with any formation and that Ole would have used said formation in this game.No plans whatsoever, just stumbling upon shit and trying to make it stick

Red Star One

Whilst this isn't all that explains Maguire's poor form, Ole has a huge track record of doing this and it's worrying, seeing it with Varane now as well by the looks
Again I say to me Ole comes across as extremely narcissistic and egoistic person since taking over United and I’m not shocked to read that.

The fact that the 352 was abandoned once Varane got injured shows you the cluelessness in his management.
I honestly believe we'd have beaten Spurs with any formation and that Ole would have used said formation in this game.No plans whatsoever, just stumbling upon shit and trying to make it stick
We were losing the game when Varane went off injured. It made sense to switch to a back four and replace Varane with a forward player - and considering the sub for Varane was important in both United goas it seemed to work out pretty well.

kouroux

We were losing the game when Varane went off injured. It made sense to switch to a back four and replace Varane with a forward player - and considering the sub for Varane was important in both United goas it seemed to work out pretty well.
Not many teams change their starting formation that early in the game tbh. If it were the 2nd half and time was truly running out, I'd get it.
Just to be clear I welcomed the change because I fecking hate 352 but I was curious if Ole really thought out this formation and meant to use it consistently or not.
Without even talking about a big club, when a bottom half team trails a game in the first half, they don't suddenly change their entire setup

NewUser777

We looked dreadful for most of the match. One can never be sure how a match would have unfolded differently had different players been brought on, but we can safely conclude Shaw had little impact going forward. As for Pogba and Rashford, their impact was negligible. We can’t be sure what the impact of the three subs would have been, buts it’s hard to imagine that 130m worth of subs sitting on the bench who are all hungry for action having no impact.
Agree. I thought we had good rhythm and movement the first 10/15 minutes, and then we looked like a brass band trying to play rock’ n roll. I noticed most posters in the match thread were happy with the starting line up, and so was I. But It didn’t work. We played like shit. People keep pointing out Tottenham is crap, but we played with intensity and pressed well in that match. For us who follow the Italian league know Atalanta press with the same intensity. You don’t get time on the ball, but what you get is space to exploit. We were so poor taking advantage of that. How much is down to our manager or coaching is difficult to say. You can tell the rhythm is off, passing and intensity is is even more off, and things are not working out. I don’t know why we make so many individual mistakes, but it has been a trade of ours long before Ole. It should be much better now, and it is his responsibility to fix it.

If you look at it, we gave away a lot of possession before Atalanta scored. We couldn’t handle their press, and made a lot of idiotic decisions. Bruno gave away the ball way to much, Pogba not playing well, and Mc’ Tomney where all over the place. I think that is us loosing the balance. Shaw has not been himself lately, but on the other hand, he didn’t get much help from Rashford.

I don’t know what is happening with our captain, but that was terrible.

My Point was, it’s not given playing Shaw in the centre line putting Telles as wing back. The formation didn’t work, and mostly because of little application in our press. We are a mess right now, and people are quick to cast blame. Either Ole gets this right fast, or he is gone. But it is not as black and white as a lot of people try to make out. You can’t blame either coaching or the manager for a lot of the mistakes and decisions made by the players, but you can surely question it.
I think Bailly was fantastic, and showing our coaching set up exactly what they are doing wrong. Trust the squad and make them compete. Unacceptable performances will be punished.

A lot of people think it’s obvious what should and shouldn’t be done. And they got the answer. Sack Ole, and go back to hire a short term solution. That is the real rinse and repeat, and the same players getting away with the same inconsistency they have for years. They need to get their shit together, and fast! Loose on Saturday in a bad fashion, Ole will be gone, and that’s fair enough. But it’s more complex than that.

As an example. How silly is it to want Conte, when we probably have the most talented 4-3-3 squad in the world? And how silly is it to blame the manager for having a good player scoring goals for us? Have you seen City fans complaining about De bruyne bailing pep out? Or Mo Salah bailing Klopp out? It’s not just the team loosing it, there are some fans to

Reactions: Jippy
Not many teams change their starting formation that early in the game tbh. If it were the 2nd half and time was truly running out, I'd get it.
Just to be clear I welcomed the change because I fecking hate 352 but I was curious if Ole really thought out this formation and meant to use it consistently or not.
Without even talking about a big club, when a bottom half team trails a game in the first half, they don't suddenly change their entire setup
The Varane injury forced Ole's hand and he reacted with a positive, attacking substitution.

Five minutes after Greenwood replaced Varane he played a vital pass to Bruno who assisted Ronaldo's equaliser.

kouroux

The Varane injury forced Ole's hand and he reacted with a positive, attacking substitution.

Five minutes after Greenwood replaced Varane he played a vital pass to Bruno who assisted Ronaldo's equaliser.
Again you misunderstand my point, like I said I welcomed the change in formation.I just look at the grand scheme of things and see something what I find weird to say the least

hobbers

Warning signs were there with Rashford. Playing the guy for 120 minutes in the EL final despite his torn shoulder and ankle having swelled to twice its normal size.

I Am Zlatan

That’s because when Ole’s job is on the line, he does things like these, Varane for example, also Rashford last season, and I feel like there was another one, just can’t remember, maybe Pogba last season, or Mctominay, also he insists on not rotating much which wears players out and lead to injuries. I hate being so negative about one of the clubs heroes, it’s just so hard to understand what the board/his supporters see in him at this point.

Red Star One

The damage he is doing to the club is reaching Jose levels.
It has already surpassed Jose levels IMO considering the short-term excellent squad we have now and won’t be having in future years. Wasting Pogba and Ronaldo that will be gone soon is as criminal as the disgusting comments made by Jose, add to that grim words about tactics being pointless and voila

NewUser777

It has already surpassed Jose levels IMO considering the short-term excellent squad we have now and won’t be having in future years. Wasting Pogba and Ronaldo that will be gone soon is as criminal as the disgusting comments made by Jose, add to that grim words about tactics being pointless and voila
Imagine
Jose won us trophies and put us firmly in the CL spot in his time here. Ole has already done far more damage than Jose's implosion ever did.
You two can’t be serious

Sviken

Firmly in the CL spot? Did he?
Yes? When we missed out on the CL with Van Gaal we were in a bad spot. Jose changed that. Despite spending 500 million more Ole still can't reach his point tally. That says it all.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
With Jose I knew it was a matter of time before he was sacked, because he acted like he wanted it and there was no real sentimental attachment to him (apart from a section of fans). With Ole I can conceivably see him staying on indefinitely until the players finally have enough or the Glazers suddenly realise how much money he’s pissing down the drain with nothing to show for it.

Also the recent talk about the new manager having to fit the United DNA and build on Ole’s foundations is as worrying as it should have been encouraging on the surface, because I look at Ole and wonder what it is the club are seeing when they talk this way. Fast, fluid attacking football? Very debatable - certainly “fluid” in the sense that we have little discernible structure and give way too much freedom to our players on the pitch; and “attacking” in the sense that we throw too many attackers onto the pitch. Not to mention that “fast, fluid attacking football” is as vague as it gets when it comes to football philosophy. Reliance on youth? It has been pointed out that Ole hasn’t really done that.

This alleged thinking has already caused us to hand an elite coach in Conte on a platter to our rivals, and according to rumours the only replacements they are keen on are Poch and Rodgers.

Club’s preferred option: Continue with the failing Ole
2nd choice: Rodgers
3rd choice: Poch

If this is the top selection of managers who meet our criteria for “United DNA”, perhaps there should be a fundamental rethink about what that DNA actually is.

lex talionis

Agree. I thought we had good rhythm and movement the first 10/15 minutes, and then we looked like a brass band trying to play rock’ n roll. I noticed most posters in the match thread were happy with the starting line up, and so was I. But It didn’t work. We played like shit. People keep pointing out Tottenham is crap, but we played with intensity and pressed well in that match. For us who follow the Italian league know Atalanta press with the same intensity. You don’t get time on the ball, but what you get is space to exploit. We were so poor taking advantage of that. How much is down to our manager or coaching is difficult to say. You can tell the rhythm is off, passing and intensity is is even more off, and things are not working out. I don’t know why we make so many individual mistakes, but it has been a trade of ours long before Ole. It should be much better now, and it is his responsibility to fix it.

If you look at it, we gave away a lot of possession before Atalanta scored. We couldn’t handle their press, and made a lot of idiotic decisions. Bruno gave away the ball way to much, Pogba not playing well, and Mc’ Tomney where all over the place. I think that is us loosing the balance. Shaw has not been himself lately, but on the other hand, he didn’t get much help from Rashford.

I don’t know what is happening with our captain, but that was terrible.

My Point was, it’s not given playing Shaw in the centre line putting Telles as wing back. The formation didn’t work, and mostly because of little application in our press. We are a mess right now, and people are quick to cast blame. Either Ole gets this right fast, or he is gone. But it is not as black and white as a lot of people try to make out. You can’t blame either coaching or the manager for a lot of the mistakes and decisions made by the players, but you can surely question it.
I think Bailly was fantastic, and showing our coaching set up exactly what they are doing wrong. Trust the squad and make them compete. Unacceptable performances will be punished.

A lot of people think it’s obvious what should and shouldn’t be done. And they got the answer. Sack Ole, and go back to hire a short term solution. That is the real rinse and repeat, and the same players getting away with the same inconsistency they have for years. They need to get their shit together, and fast! Loose on Saturday in a bad fashion, Ole will be gone, and that’s fair enough. But it’s more complex than that.

As an example. How silly is it to want Conte, when we probably have the most talented 4-3-3 squad in the world? And how silly is it to blame the manager for having a good player scoring goals for us? Have you seen City fans complaining about De bruyne bailing pep out? Or Mo Salah bailing Klopp out? It’s not just the team loosing it, there are some fans to
Agreed. We have short and long term issues to sort out. Atalanta is now behind us but I hope Ole learned the right lessons, which we’ll have an opportunity to discuss over the next two days. Suffice it to say for the moment that we need to help Maguire get through his funk with — since Varane and Lindelof are out — with Shaw in a back three with Telles as a wingback against City. I’d like to see Donny get the start over McTominay.

Long term? Well, we passed up on Conte so we’ll just have to slug it out through the end of the season with Ole. We have every right to moan about it, but nothing is going to change.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

He has often praised players for putting their bodies on the line.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

What else do you expect from amateurs?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
That’s because when Ole’s job is on the line, he does things like these, Varane for example, also Rashford last season, and I feel like there was another one, just can’t remember, maybe Pogba last season, or Mctominay, also he insists on not rotating much which wears players out and lead to injuries. I hate being so negative about one of the clubs heroes, it’s just so hard to understand what the board/his supporters see in him at this point.
Pogba the season before last when he was rushed back against the mighty Rochdale.

Apokalips

Yes! I remember that now! Also I think there was someone else this past season, maybe I’m mistaking though.
He got rushed back from COVID too, had a woeful start and then sat out a few weeks. Rashford, as we know, has rushed back before and played through injuries as has Martial both this season and last season.

I Am Zlatan

He got rushed back from COVID too, had a woeful start and then sat out a few weeks. Rashford, as we know, has rushed back before and played through injuries as has Martial both this season and last season.
Shambles, the end is near though, I just hope we don’t wait much longer and throw another season away.

copen1945

If he had to be replaced, Conte would have been a good choice. Now that this is not possible, the club should stand by Solskjaer. Harmony and stability within the squad should be a paramount consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.