Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Fake. He affectionately calls Phil Jones "Jonah" I believe. Or "Duncan". One of those two.
Thanks mate. Panic over unless I see Young starting for us next season:(

Fracture90

Well if you have such insight, please share. How the feck could you explain going from 10 wins in a row to 2 in 10? Sure, injuries hit us hard at some point, but some of the performances we have seen lately have been some of the most gutless, lazy shite we ever had the misfortune of watching.
Well for starters our style under Mourinho and our style under early days of Ole cannot be more different. Under Ole we pressed more, made more runs, overall ran more, which can take a toll on players especially considering Ole was appointed just before Holiday madness period where games come thick and fast. Could it be that his style has burned out some players hence the plethora the injuries that followed shortly after and a subsequent return to how we looked under Mourinho?

jesperjaap

I know its been in European football for a long time, but relatively new with most premiership clubs and often not worked.

Are we desperate for a DOF because we dont trust Woodward or the managers?

Not sure Woodward is allowing managers to sign targets they want and failing in negotiations. If this is the case, then fair enough.

If we are saying it is merely to help the manager and a long term thing, thing its a sad thing. What are our scouts for, we are one of the biggest clubs in the world, surely the scouts should be indentifying these players? If they arent they should be replaced, if the manager isnt paying attention to them and has hiw own ideas, then we have simply hired the wrong managers.

Think its an element of all but my personal opinion, which may be naive in the modern game is the manager should be allowed to fall on his sword. SHould be able to build the team he wants and football he wants and with the help of the scouts find the right players. He should have the control....I do however think we should have somebody other than Woodward doing our negotiating for in and outgoing players

CaptainAvengers

Yes, get rid of the owners and the bankman ceo. Feck the lot of them. Getting rid of Ole will do feck all because the main problem will still be there.
True, but that won't change the fact Ole isn't good enough to be manager Manchester United.. we are not talking about Little Molde.. we are talking about one of the biggest clubs in the World.

Time to pack your packs, Ole. We have to be ruthless to get back to the top.. sentiment is holding us back.. to Ole, the United way, deadwood players..

Lexxxzi

Could it be that his style has burned out some players hence the plethora the injuries that followed shortly after and a subsequent return to how we looked under Mourinho?
Yes, also it's important to remember that the Utd players were NOT specifally trained for that type of play (referring to previous pre-season). They were trained for a different style of play under Mourinho. All of this is speculation, but it could also be that the style changes lately is in itself a conscious move from Ole, because of injuries, and simply not being able to play like that at the moment. It could be that the next pre-season will better prepare the Utd players for the Solskjaer style.

CaptainAvengers

The true test of a manager is when the chips are down and you look towards the bench. Ole staring into space playing head tennis isn't gonna inspire nobody. he looks clueless TBF. So do Phelan, Carrick etc and the rest of the Merryband. what do they actually do!?

Not seen Ole give a good old fashioned bollocking on the touchline yet.. it is like he is scared of the big players like Pogba. Not a good sign for future and being able to attract the best talent.

Last edited by a moderator:

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
V Cardiff

—————De Gea
Dalot—Jones—Smalling—Shaw
—————-Garner
——Herrera——-McT
—————--Mata
Chong———————Rashford

Fracture90

Yes, also it's important to remember that the Utd players were NOT specifally trained for that type of play (referring to previous pre-season). They were trained for a different style of play under Mourinho. All of this is speculation, but it could also be that the style changes lately is in itself a conscious move from Ole, because of injuries, and simply not being able to play like that at the moment. It could be that the next pre-season will better prepare the Utd players for the Solskjaer style.
Yup, that's what I'm hoping was the reason for a sudden drop in both the form and the style.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I said back in January and again in March that appointing him full time would be a huge error and would end the same way Di Matteo and Shakespeare did. He’s massively out of his depth at United. United are now in a position where they have a manager that no other premier league team would hire if he left, which is ridiculous.

Even if he signs well, he seems to want to play ‘the United way’ which simply wont cut it in modern football. I wonder what his actual tactics consist of.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Keep on reading this, why? We arent some kind of experiment to give managers a fair chances of proving themselfs at our expence.
They can prove themselfs somewhere else. We cant afford more failures.
He's only been in charge a month, that's not nearly enough time to make his mark on the squad or for the likes of you to run an assessment on his managerial abilities.

At the very least he deserves a full pre-season with the existing players to imprint his philosophy on to them, and a minimum of 2 transfer windows to begin building his own team and clearing out the deadwood.

Feels like I'm repeating myself on a near-endless loop in this thread.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Well, I’m sure pre-season will get them better and Ole will have them flying next season. A bit like he did at Cardiff. Oh...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I said back in January and again in March that appointing him full time would be a huge error and would end the same way Di Matteo and Shakespeare did. He’s massively out of his depth at United. United are now in a position where they have a manager that no other premier league team would hire if he left, which is ridiculous.

Even if he signs well, he seems to want to play ‘the United way’ which simply wont cut it in modern football. I wonder what his actual tactics consist of.
His tactical approach led us to 11 league wins in a row and progression in Europe at the expense of competition favourites PSG.

MoskvaRed

Yes, that’s where we are unfortunately. In 2013, we appointed a manager that no other big club would hire. This time we have gone one better and appointed a manager who’d be lucky to get a gig in the Championship.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Problem is he won’t get rid of the deadwood and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the likes of the English core all starting the first game next season (jones, Young, shaw, Lingard, “rashy”) none of which are good enough if we want to get back to the top.

You can’t shoehorn world class alongside this lot and expect good things to happen, as we have witnessed over the past few years.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Well for starters our style under Mourinho and our style under early days of Ole cannot be more different. Under Ole we pressed more, made more runs, overall ran more, which can take a toll on players especially considering Ole was appointed just before Holiday madness period where games come thick and fast. Could it be that his style has burned out some players hence the plethora the injuries that followed shortly after and a subsequent return to how we looked under Mourinho?
It's a factor for sure, but i refuse to believe 2 wins in 10 is down to injuries and fatigue alone. The players hardly ran their socks off under Jose, so having the whole team collapse from fatigue because Ole asked them to press high for a couple of months seems damning on their fitness levels.

Even if im wrong and the players still would give 100% for Ole, the fact they all collapse like this at the end of the season because they are knackered is hardly something that can be blamed on him.

Water Melon

We were all amazed by how well 20legend started at United. I am still absolutely sure that the squad has higher potential than it showed under Mou. It was right decision to sack the toxic one after all the the shite he spouted and brought starting from September 2018. I am also absolutely sure that the squad can and should be playing better than they did on the last dozen of games. In fact at the very beginning of Ole's stint here, we saw how well can we play. Why the form has dropped is anyone's guess. I personally believe that physically we are far below the required standard. So Ole's time so far at United can be split into 2 equal parts of brilliant and totally shite. Champions and relegation fodder form at the same time within 6 months. So fans are not fickle, what we are having now is a reality check, Ole and the coaching crew are having one as well. The summer will show if the Board and Ed are going to back Ole fully or will it be a cautious long game. A tough call really, but that is why Ed is there. He makes the decisions but he is paid to do so. This is the most crucial summer ever since SAF left. Hopefully, we will be smiling come December, cause if not, then our fall will continue and nobody knows how deep the rabbit's ar...ehole goes.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
He's only been in charge a month, that's not nearly enough time to make his mark on the squad or for the likes of you to run an assessment on his managerial abilities.

At the very least he deserves a full pre-season with the existing players to imprint his philosophy on to them, and a minimum of 2 transfer windows to begin building his own team and clearing out the deadwood.

Feels like I'm repeating myself on a near-endless loop in this thread.
The likes of me? Whats that supposed to mean? He deserves a full pre seeason and a minimum of 2 transfer windows based on what? Those first few games were key players were playing like they can just to prove Mourinho wrong?

We need world class players and a world class manager. Or at least a manager that is winning games and playing modern football in a proven league.

JustAGuest

Why do people ask this? It’s not our job to have a list of replacements. You don’t need to have someone else in mind if you believe the current person isn’t up to the task.
Why is it such an issue for someone who wants him out to name a few realistic replacements? The board will obviously have thought he is the best available option, else he wouldn't have been given the job. No evidence points at Pochettino being available, and I haven't really seen any other suggestions in here.

Enigma_87

You know who
His tactical approach led us to 11 league wins in a row and progression in Europe at the expense of competition favourites PSG.
5 hours without scoring, 5 games without a win, 2 wins in the last 11 games, looking as clueless as under previous managers.

22% win success since he was hired. You have to call a spade a spade.

I wouldn't trust yet another manager without proven track record to rebuild our squad. It's the same whirlwind we have fallen under since Fergie.

Based on the premise of what Ole was brought in and his job so far (good and bad) I wouldn't trust him to be our manager next year.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The likes of me? Whats that supposed to mean? He deserves a full pre seeason and a minimum of 2 transfer windows based on what? Those first few games were key players were playing like they can just to prove Mourinho wrong?

We need world class players and a world class manager. Or at least a manager that is winning games and playing modern football in a proven league.
You cannot sack your manager one month after appointing him, not when he hasn't been given a full pre-season to work with the existing squad or a transfer window to begin shaping it. I feel silly having to point that out.

Whether you or I agree that he should have been appointed in the first place is irrelevant, he is in charge and there is asbolutely nothing we can do about it. You might as well just get behind him and offer your full support.

Enigma_87

You know who
You cannot sack your manager one month after appointing him, not when he hasn't been given a full pre-season to work with the existing squad or a transfer window to begin shaping it. I feel silly having to point that out.

Whether you or I agree that he should have been appointed in the first place is irrelevant, he is in charge and there is asbolutely nothing we can do about it. You might as well just get behind him and offer your full support.
You can, when the footballing side of your club is run by a moron, who has done nothing short of a feckup after a feckup since he was hired.

Revaulx

The club had every choice. They are in control and are under no obligation to hand out permanent contracts during a season, when there is plenty of games still to be played. The time would have been at the end of the season when all games were played and a full assessment could have been made.

I don’t care if the fans loved him. We loved the football we played yes, which has completely disappeared. Also that’s making decisions with emotion involved
Indeed. That’s The Woodward Way.
and I would expect people in charge to be able to see past that.

I said at the time it was far too early, so no I’m not acting like Mr Knowitall.
I wouldn’t. The “people in charge” seems to be just Woodward. Just look at all his other decisions. It could be argued that bringing Pogba back was an emotional move.

-Supreme-

I can't wait to see who gets picked in the last game of the season if he's true to his words that we might have seen the last of some of the players

MoskvaRed

Why is it such an issue for someone who wants him out to name a few realistic replacements? The board will obviously have thought he is the best available option, else he wouldn't have been given the job. No evidence points at Pochettino being available, and I haven't really seen any other suggestions in here.
Our Board has a track record of failure so that is not a convincing argument. They rushed into a decision based on that initial honeymoon period and, if I were being cynical, after being burnt by Mourinho were probably not discouraged by the fact that hiring Ole required minimal compensation and a modest salary package.

dove

That was a "lost the dressing room" performance yesterday. I think United should do now how Real Madrid does it with managers and players when in doubt: press the reset button. Rinse and repeat. Did he do well at the start and deserved the chance? It doesn't matter. Did he lose it when he said he wanted 5 new players and signed a contract? It doesn't matter. Does he deserve a longer shot? Would it be fair? Is it nice? It doesn't matter. Forget this romance. At such a big club you have to be brutal and press reset. Like Madrid did with Lopetegui and Solari, and even will do with Zidane if it doesn't work out.
This. We are where we are because just like being unable to get rid of mediocre players, we cannot get rid of wrong/clueless managers. I just cannot understand how so many people simply can't see it and are like "We are shite but let's give him 2 years to fix it because remember that great 8-10 matches unbeaten run"? It never works that way and it's been proven hundreds of times that it's just a wasted time/resources the better manager could have actually improved the team in. Some fans set the expectations so low that mediocrity is accepted inside the club as well.

Enigma_87

You know who
We have just given one a contract, manners would suggest he is given a chance.
Manners will put us behind even further then.

Jose was sacked because he was 6th in the league. Ole is ... 6th in the league, bowing down to Wolves in the FA cup as well. He had his fair share of good moments like PSG, but his overall tenure so far doesn't warrant the job IMO.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
5 hours without scoring, 5 games without a win, 2 wins in the last 11 games, looking as clueless as under previous managers.

22% win success since he was hired. You have to call a spade a spade.

I wouldn't trust yet another manager without a proven track record to rebuild our squad. It's the same whirlwind we have fallen under since Fergie.

Based on the premise of what Ole was brought in and his job so far (good and bad) I wouldn't trust him to be our manager next year.
The poor fitness of our players, in combination with their lack of commitment to the cause and equally lacking attitude, has contributed largely to the awful run of results lately. You cannot hold Ole accountable for any of that because these problems existed long before he arrived. This is Jose and LVG's squad, it has absolutely nothing to do with Ole.

We've hired managers with proven track records, twice, and neither of them proved good enough. Which brings me to another point, if one of footballs most successful football managers (Jose) cannot get a tune out of this squad of players, on a consistent basis, why would Ole do any better?

Ole needs time to clear out the deadwood and begin shaping his own team. Would you not be prepared to give him a year to do that before passing judgement?

edgar allan

Manners will put us behind even further then.

Jose was sacked because he was 6th in the league. Ole is ... 6th in the league, bowing down to Wolves in the FA cup as well. He had his fair share of good moments like PSG, but his overall tenure so far doesn't warrant the job IMO.
How many transfer windows did Jose have?
Ole inherited Jose's shite, mid-season and what did you expect to happen?
We got a bit of a bounce and then they players went back to being poor again.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You can, when the footballing side of your club is run by a moron, who has done nothing short of a feckup after a feckup since he was hired.
He's been a revelation on the commercial side of things, even Liverpool have adopted his approach (among others), but yeah his work on the football side is frankly shocking.

The entire club needs restructuring from top to bottom.

Enigma_87

You know who
The poor fitness of our players, in combination with their lack of commitment to the cause and equally lacking attitude, has contributed largely to the awful run of results lately. You cannot hold Ole accountable for any of that because these problems existed long before he arrived. This is Jose and LVG's squad, it has absolutely nothing to do with Ole.

We've hired managers with proven track records, twice, and neither of them proved good enough. Which brings me to another point, if one of footballs most successful football managers (Jose) cannot get a tune out of this squad of players, on a consistent basis, why would Ole do any better?

Ole needs time to clear out the deadwood and begin shaping his own team. Would you not be prepared to give him a year to do that before passing judgement?
It's not only poor fitness. That's a comfortable excuse. So far he hasn't been able to turn things around when they become sour. Poor fitness doesn't excuse performance like yesterday against Huddersfield.

He hasn't really proven track record of handling big players, neither Ole has a clear vision of how his style is or how the team should play. We started with high press now we ended it. He's making poor sub decisions and doesn't really seems to have plan B.

We hired clown like Moyes without proven track record and was the beginning of the slide.

If we keep hiring managers that aren't good enough, giving them time and funds to bring their own players we end up with... Well you can clearly see with what.

On what basis you will give Ole 1-2 years and 200-300m pounds to bring in his players? Would be yet another poor appointment.

I doubt Ole will clear the deadwood as everyone seems to be implying. A much more ruthless manager in Mourinho couldn't, yet Ole will?

red4ever 79

OGS talked yesterday about that's the last you will see of some of those players. Sadly I think he is referring to Herrera, Mata. As much as we all would love it to be Jones, Young Matic I think they will still be here next season, and starting. I also think De Gea will leave. However, the two that we really need to get rid of are Sanchez and Lukaku. Two strikers on high wages that do nothing and are really really poor.

dove

The "poor fitness" excuse is simply laughable. That Huddersfield team that we heroically managed to draw against are the worst team in the PL I have seen in a long long time. They gave us so much space that sometimes I wondered whether they are League 2 side, any decently coached side would have put at least 3 past them. And guess what? We were mostly horrible and scored just because their GK fecked up. It has nothing to do with fitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.