Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Ah, if only everyone had your vision...which is seemingly based on bugger all except an all-encompassing love of OGS.

The idea of giving someone with a (and I'm being kind here) mediocre managerial record to date YEARS to build something at United scares the shit out of me. The notion of finding the right person, and giving them time and financial backing I am absolutely 100% on board with - as Liverpool did with Klopp - but even Ole's biggest cheerleaders on here are forced to admit that they haven't got a clue whether it's gonna work or not. That is petrifying when we're already teetering on the brink of becoming Liverpool at the end of the 80s, or AC Milan at the end of the 90s.
Luis Van Gaal and Jose Mourinho didn't work out. With a transfer spending spree comparable to the size of their names. And they are some of the best managers in the world. Should we just cycle through every big name manager until something sticks for 3 years?

Real Madrid promoted one of their own from within. Zinedine Zidane. His only manager experience was Real Madrid Castilla, a segunda B team. He was less merited than OGS when he took over. It worked out well for Real Madrid.
Barcelona promoted one of their own from within. Pep Guardiola was a segunda B coach for Barcelona when he was promoted to the manager position. It obviously worked out very well for Barcelona.
Tomas Tuchel worked as a youth coach at Mainz, assisting Jürgen Klopp. When Klopp left for Barcelona, Tuchel was given the manager position at Mainz. In fact, the Bundesliga has a history of promoting their own to manager positions.
Mauricio Pochettino was awarded the Espanyol manager position after completing the UEFA license course. His only manger experience before being givent he job? A few games a a womens team coach.
Frank Lampard is being given the Chelsea job by all accounts after a short period as manager of Derby.

In 2017 - 5 Bundesliga clubs promoted a unkown commodity to manager. Five clubs took a shot at a unknown commodity rather than go for a household name. In fact the Premier League is one of the leagues in the world with the biggest rotation of managers, mostly relying on "star" managers or veteran managers that get swapped between the clubs frequently. Fact is that with the household names, you know what you're going to get. Nothing will change outside of what you have seen these managers do in their previous clubs.

The managerial stars of today ALL have in common that they were given the job in their own club after having worked in the youth system/reserve team first. Or in Pochettinos case, completed a course.

That recepie is literally what Manchester United are following today.

If you want stability and you want to build a foundation on whicht he club can live on for a long long time you need to take a chance on someone. You either take a chance, or you go with someone safe who brings you nowhere new, and we need to go somewhere new.

It simply baffles me that so few of you are willing to stand behind the manager and contribute with some good vibes around the team, when that's the best contribution you possibly can give to the team when they open the Premier League campaign this fall.

Rusholme Ruffian

Luis Van Gaal and Jose Mourinho didn't work out. With a transfer spending spree comparable to the size of their names. And they are some of the best managers in the world. Should we just cycle through every big name manager until something sticks for 3 years?

Real Madrid promoted one of their own from within. Zinedine Zidane. His only manager experience was Real Madrid Castilla, a segunda B team. He was less merited than OGS when he took over. It worked out well for Real Madrid.
Barcelona promoted one of their own from within. Pep Guardiola was a segunda B coach for Barcelona when he was promoted to the manager position. It obviously worked out very well for Barcelona.
Tomas Tuchel worked as a youth coach at Mainz, assisting Jürgen Klopp. When Klopp left for Barcelona, Tuchel was given the manager position at Mainz. In fact, the Bundesliga has a history of promoting their own to manager positions.
Mauricio Pochettino was awarded the Espanyol manager position after completing the UEFA license course. His only manger experience before being givent he job? A few games a a womens team coach.
Frank Lampard is being given the Chelsea job by all accounts after a short period as manager of Derby.

In 2017 - 5 Bundesliga clubs promoted a unkown commodity to manager. Five clubs took a shot at a unknown commodity rather than go for a household name. In fact the Premier League is one of the leagues in the world with the biggest rotation of managers, mostly relying on "star" managers or veteran managers that get swapped between the clubs frequently. Fact is that with the household names, you know what you're going to get. Nothing will change outside of what you have seen these managers do in their previous clubs.

The managerial stars of today ALL have in common that they were given the job in their own club after having worked in the youth system/reserve team first. Or in Pochettinos case, completed a course.

If you want stability and you want to build a foundation on whicht he club can live on for a long long time you need to take a chance on someone. You either take a chance, or you go with someone safe who brings you nowhere new, and we need to go somewhere new.

It simply baffles me that so few of you are willing to stand behind the manager and contribute with some good vibes around the team, when that's the best contribution you possibly can give to the team when they open the Premier League campaign this fall.
Sorry man, I'm sure you're writing some really good stuff but I just haven't got time to read your insanely long posts. See post above for my response to what (I think) you're driving at.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Sorry man, I'm sure you're writing some really good stuff but I just haven't got time to read your insanely long posts. See post above for my response to what (I think) you're driving at.
It's 15 lines of text. Probably less on a big monitor. I made the point why we need to take a chance on Ole.

JustAGuest

but even Ole's biggest cheerleaders on here are forced to admit that they haven't got a clue whether it's gonna work or not.
That's how football works. You won't find a replacement who is a guaranteed success. It's telling that even the loudest Ole out posters are unwilling to provide any sort of alternative approach and preferred replacements.

It's easy to just moan without considering what should be done instead. Those who want him to be given more time obviously think that this is the best option, and that no other available manager is enough of a certainty of success to justify sacking Ole this early.

TRUERED89

Great post, come to think about it, Barca have never hired a big name apart from Johan Cruyff, they promote everyone from within. Look at how well Luis Enrique did, 2015 treble winner.

Rusholme Ruffian

That's how football works. You won't find a replacement who is a guaranteed success. It's telling that even the loudest Ole out posters are unwilling to provide any sort of alternative approach and preferred replacements.

It's easy to just moan without considering what should be done instead. Those who want him to be given more time obviously think that this is the best option, and that no other available manager is enough of a certainty of success to justify sacking Ole this early.
Are you for real? I've seen at least 10 other names mentioned across this or other similar threads.

Answer me truthfully, 7 months ago if I'd asked you to come up with a list of potential replacements for Mourinho would OGS have featured in your top 50?

Rusholme Ruffian

Great post, come to think about it, Barca have never hired a big name apart from Johan Cruyff, they promote everyone from within. Look at how well Luis Enrique did, 2015 treble winner.
Barca have a long established style of play. Kids are brought into La Masia and schooled in it from a really early age. It makes it easier to promote from within. We, on the other hand, are a fecking mess.

One of the first things that City's new owners did - long before Pep was brought in - was bring in the back room staff to oversee a totally new style of possession based football was introduced across every age-group in the club, from the youngest to the first team. We, on the other hand, have stumbled like a drunk at closing time between various styles, methods and 'philosophies' since Fergie retired.

Rafaeldagold

Those who are so vehemently Ole in are obviously one of the below as we’ve looked awful with no style of plan in place.

A) Given up on United being a truly top team

B) Think it makes them look like ‘good fans’ for not advocating a sacking. Actually the reverse is true if it was a rubbish appointment in the first place.

C) Deluded. As some say our football was great under Ole at the start..it wasn’t! We were sitting back & countering. Not once did we look a properly decent team. If it was Jose doing that you’d be lynching him.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
FFS, I'm not getting into this again, but suffice to say there are probably about 100 coaches currently working across Europe with a stronger CV than OGS.
The point I tried to make that a lot are just ignoring for some reason so I'll stick to one sentence replies, is that the most succesful managers today, came to the job with no CV.

dove

This thread is pointless now, basically rinse and repeat :lol: Some of us know how it will end but now we cannot do anything and we need to live with that feck up from our board. So stop arguing and better mentally prepare for the next season which is shaping to be not a very pretty sight.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Those who are so vehemently Ole in are obviously one of the below as we’ve looked awful with no style of plan in place.

B) Think it makes them look like ‘good fans’ for not advocating a sacking. Actually the reverse is true if it was a rubbish appointment in the first place.

C) Deluded. As some say our football was great under Ole at the start..it wasn’t! We were sitting back & countering. Not once did we look a properly decent team. If it was Jose doing that you’d be lynching him.
Did you know that no team scored more goals than Manchester United and conceded fewer goals in the league than Mancester United until our form dump started? So maybe it was alright?

TRUERED89

Barcelona have Messi and a guaranteed CL spot every year. Surely we find ourselves in a worse predicament, don't you think?
It's not just about Messi alone or they'd win CL every year, plus there aren't that many star managers available, Poch, Ancellotti, Allegri, Conte? Who shall we sack Ole for??!

R'hllor

What are the things going for him that lead you to think he’s the best manager we could have as a club?
Ok mister loco, nothing led me to think that he is best manager we could have. What i meant is that he isnt shit nor is the best in every single department when it comes to managers.

I shared my views about Ole during a season.

Rusholme Ruffian

The point I tried to make that a lot are just ignoring for some reason so I'll stick to one sentence replies, is that the most succesful managers today, came to the job with no CV.
Did they have 8 years of mediocrity on their CVs before becoming successful? Did they join clubs in total disarray but with massive expectations?

Did you know that no team scored more goals than Manchester United and conceded fewer goals in the league than Mancester United until our form dump started? So maybe it was alright?
But you can't discount the form dump - it happened, and actually we were still mired in it when the season (mercifully) ended.

He’s being fecking rude just for the heck of it. Don’t bother, especially if he can’t even manage to read a text as long as a medium length SMS...
Not being rude, Im just trying to do a job at the same time as occasionally come back and post! It's hard to read several large blocks of text on a phone when you're also trying to keep your business running!

AshRK

So you can’t answer his actual points.

You’re advocating giving years to a rubbish manager. It’s insane
No one is advocating Ole to be manager for years. Most are just asking for some patience. This whole remove the manager and hope for the best method is bs. WHat is the point of even sacking Ole now? Who will be there to manage us? People saying let us go for Poch, well why would he leave spurs and join this sinking ship when he knows they will just sack manager at their will. Why won't he prefer to join a Juve or Bayern than join us. It's like some of us fans think we are entitled to get everything.And also what is the guarantee Poch will suddenly get the best out of these players. Any manager would need time to get things right. Also, at this point the way our club is run we won't be able to strike a deal to get Rodgers from Leicester, so what makes you think any other top manager would be easy to get.

It's like you lot have already pre-decided he will fail so let us just sack him. But would that suddenly make the likes of Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Young, Mata, Lingard world beaters. We need some stability for starters and keeping on replacing manager without even giving them a pre-season and a transfer season. No one is saying let us have Ole for 3 years even if he performs miserably.

Rafaeldagold

Ok mister loco, nothing led me to think that he is best manager we could have. What i meant is that he isnt shit nor is the best in every single department when it comes to managers.

I shared my views about Ole during a season.
Mister loco..good one!

So nothing has led you to think he’s the best manager we could have. So surely you want the best for our club?

We’ve settled as a fan base which is sad but just don’t expect us to do well any time soon

JustAGuest

Are you for real? I've seen at least 10 other names mentioned across this or other similar threads.

Answer me truthfully, 7 months ago if I'd asked you to come up with a list of potential replacements for Mourinho would OGS have featured in your top 50?
I must have missed all of those posts then. All I'm seeing is people saying it's up to the club to find this manager. That and Pochettino, who is not a realistic target in any way. I don't believe in the standpoint of any other manager being a better alternative than Ole. @Tom Cato had an excellent post summing up some of the reasons for Ole.

What difference does a top 50 list from 7 months ago make? I think Ole should be given more time based on his time at the club so far, which has been better than what I expected when he came in.

The point of style has already been answered by other posters. It's clear where United stand at the moment compared with the top 2, who happen to be a level above the rest. Acknowledging this is not the same as giving up on United being a top team. I think delusion is to expect a new manager to suddenly put up a title challenge from this position.

Rafaeldagold

No one is advocating Ole to be manager for years. Most are just asking for some patience. This whole remove the manager and hope for the best method is bs. WHat is the point of even sacking Ole now? Who will be there to manage us? People saying let us go for Poch, well why would he leave spurs and join this sinking ship when he knows they will just sack manager at their will. Who won't he prefer to join a Juve or Bayern than join us. It's like some of us fans think we are entitled to get everything. At this point the way our club is run we won't be able to strike a deal to get Rodgers from Leicester, so what makes you think any other top manager would be easy to get.

It's like you lot have already pre-decided he will fail so let us just sack him. But would that suddenly make the likes of Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Young, Mata, Lingard world beaters. We need some stability for starters and keeping on replacing manager without even giving them a pre-season and a transfer season. No one is saying let us have Ole for 3 years even if he performs miserably.
We can surely find a better manager in the world than Ole.

He has failed already- we’ve regressed under him & look awful . Moyes Esque with no style of play.

There’s NO POINT in stability if it’s the wrong guy in the first place.

Rafaeldagold

I must have missed all of those posts then. All I'm seeing is people saying it's up to the club to find this manager. That and Pochettino, who is not a realistic target in any way. I don't believe in the standpoint of any other manager being a better alternative than Ole. @Tom Cato had an excellent post summing up some of the reasons for Ole.

What difference does a top 50 list from 7 months ago make? I think Ole should be given more time based on his time at the club so far, which has been better than what I expected when he came in.

The point of style has already been answered by other posters. It's clear where United stand at the moment compared with the top 2, who happen to be a level above the rest. Acknowledging this is not the same as giving up on United being a top team. I think delusion is to expect a new manager to suddenly put up a title challenge from this position.
I’m not advocating a title challenge straight away with a new manager.

Just progress, a plan & an identify to the team.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Surprised that he has looked at our squad and haven’t been able to identify what is so obvious to even the most delusional of fans....That we need a right attacking midfielder. Maybe it is because it is still early in the window, but there have not been any rumors of a right attacker we are interested to sign.

If we go into next season with lingard, James, Mata and/or Rashy/Greenwood as our only right attacker, Ole needs to get sacked before the season starts.

AshRK

We can surely find a better manager in the world than Ole.

He has failed already- we’ve regressed under him & look awful . Moyes Esque with no style of play.

There’s NO POINT in stability if it’s the wrong guy in the first place.
Failed to do what. He took us when we were 10+ points behind 5th place and almost made us reach top 4. We beat PSG, luck or no luck , no one expected us to beat them but we did. We beat Arsenal and Chelsea in FA cup fair and square. People say he has been lucky when in reality he has been the unluckiest manager for us since sir alex left. All the injuries, to the fact that our best player in de gea started making stupid mistakes and then all the tough draws that he was handed, from Arsenal to chelsea to Wolves in FA cup to Barca in CL. There is nothing lucky about that.

Again coming to the moot point, how would sacking him now without even giving him a fair chance is logical. Keeping changing managers and hope for the best.

Rusholme Ruffian

I don't believe in the standpoint of any other manager being a better alternative than Ole.
Well that is, of course, your prerogative. Do you think that there is literally anyone in the world - outside of United fans - that believes that OGS is the absolute best manager that United could have at the moment?

OK, so 7 months ago he wouldn't have been in your top 50. Since then we have had a really great run of results (which have to be viewed in the context of new manager bounce, favourable fixtures, and a fair dollop of luck)....but more recently than that we have seen our worst run of form for 60 years - a run that was only ended by the end of the season. And following that he has leapt from not being in the top 50, to absolute top of the pile? Forgive me if I struggle to see the logic in that. Whilst absolutely respecting the fact that you see things differently.

Rafaeldagold

Failed to do what. He took us when we were 10+ points behind 5th place and almost made us reach top 4. We beat PSG, luck or no luck , no one expected us to beat them but we did. We beat Arsenal and Chelsea in FA cup fair and square. People say he has been lucky when in reality he has been the unluckiest manager for us since sir alex left. All the injuries, to the fact that our best player in de gea started making stupid mistakes and then all the tough draws that he was handed, from Arsenal to chelsea to Wolves in FA cup to Barca in CL. There is nothing lucky about that.

Again coming to the moot point, how would sacking him now without even giving him a fair chance is logical. Keeping changing managers and hope for the best.
Ok you’re not going to change your mind despite all the evidence in front of you. He’s had his chance & we’ve got worse rather than better

AshRK

It's also funny any win that Ole achieved was down to luck but all the loses are his fault. It's either black or white.

Kearnkoff69

Surprised that he has looked at our squad and haven’t been able to identify what is so obvious to even the most delusional of fans....That we need a right attacking midfielder. Maybe it is because it is still early in the window, but there have not been any rumors of a right attacker we are interested to sign.

If we go into next season with lingard, James, Mata and/or Rashy/Greenwood as our only right attacker, Ole needs to get sacked before the season starts.
There have been numerous reports about Sancho being his number 1 target this summer. I would be disappointed and nervous if we don't have a plan B for Sancho and are going to ride out the current crop on the right wing, but saying he needs to be sacked if we don't sign a RW is ludicrous.

Rafaeldagold

Well that is, of course, your prerogative. Do you think that there is literally anyone in the world - outside of United fans - that believes that OGS is the absolute best manager that United could have at the moment?

OK, so 7 months ago he wouldn't have been in your top 50. Since then we have had a really great run of results (which have to be viewed in the context of new manager bounce, favourable fixtures, and a fair dollop of luck)....but more recently than that we have seen our worst run of form for 60 years - a run that was only ended by the end of the season. And following that he has leapt from not being in the top 50, to absolute top of the pile? Forgive me if I struggle to see the logic in that. Whilst absolutely respecting the fact that you see things differently.
They’re too far gone. There is no logical reason why Ole is our manager

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

:lol:

As usual pathetic post.

AshRK

Ok you’re not going to change your mind despite all the evidence in front of you. He’s had his chance & we’ve got worse rather than better
Having 5 months to manage is not a chance. My simple point is just replacing him would not solve a thing. We would still be stuck with Woodward making stupid decisions, We would still be stuck with half of average players, we would still be stuck with an unbalanced squad. If Ole does not deliver in another 5 months and we are playing clueless football then I would understand and maybe change my mind but right now he is least of our issue. Again before you term em a blind Ole fan, I am not even remotely saying he will be a success, just that any manager would need a summer transfer and a preseason to have his input in the squad.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

It's not just about Messi alone or they'd win CL every year, plus there aren't that many star managers available, Poch, Ancellotti, Allegri, Conte? Who shall we sack Ole for??!
Right now, with no one. We'll stick with him and hope that he'll come up good for us. But that's just it, hope. Hope that the reports of him being a manager who likes to implement a pressing game and demands of his players to control matches with their movement and good ball circulation are true. And, finally, hope that what he accomplished in a lower league he will be able to recreate in a much more demanding environment.

There's no point in bringing Zidane and Pep in the conversation because the context of their respective appointments and what followed them is completely different from what United are going through atm. They inherited the two best players in the world and world-class squads in leagues where their CL qualification is safe and secured. Someone mentioned Luis Enrique. He went into a club whose attacking trident consisted of Messi/Suarez and Neymar and they had Iniesta and a prime Rakitic in the midfield for crying out loud. They needed a babysitter more than they needed a manager. Nevertheless, Luis Enrique had shown a clear playing style while he was at Roma.

Even the Klopp parallels seem rather moot to me. Yeah, it took him 3-4 seasons to get Liverpool going, that's true enough. But while no manager can guarantee United immediate success, as you correctly keep repeating, there's absolutely no guarantee that any unproven manager will be as successful as Klopp 4-5 years down the line.

The question for me is not with whom to replace Ole tomorrow. I'll back him and i wish him all the best. But keep in mind that we're not a sugar daddy club which means that, at some point, all the bad choices we make, will come back to haunt us. People on here like to give Liverpool as an example of a club that flourished by putting faith in its manager. But it's easy to forget that at the beginning of the PL era back in the early '90s Liverpool had the recent past glory to show off and they didn't lack a fat purse either. They vanished into mediocrity because they believed that "the answer" will always be found from within (the Boot room) and/or by keeping managers (Houllier) way past their expiry date. And it's quite frightening (at least to me it is) how much we look like this particular version of them nowadays.

So, i hope that Ole will do well but i'll always believe that, as long as we can afford them, we should aim for the best managers and players and always have a good overall strategy in the football department instead of taking high risks and crossing our fingers that things will work out well for us.

ash_86

Lot of people's voice seems to be heard by Ole. Lukaku seeking a move elsewhere, Matic out of favor, Linked with young and upcoming players, Bale links smashed right in the bud ect.. These are the ones we wanted from United and it's finally happening. Ole deserves a good fair chance from all of us to show what he could do.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Great analysis as usual
You want analysis? How about if I say all the Ole out fans are pathetic Jose fan boys who are so butthurt that they can't give the manager who followed him decent time to fix the issues?

Obviously that would be too much and nonsense which is exactly what your post is.

Rusholme Ruffian

Right now, with no one. We'll stick with him and hope that he'll come up good for us. But that's just it, hope. Hope that the reports of him being a manager who likes to implement a pressing game and demands of his players to control matches with their movement and good ball circulation are true. And, finally, hope that what he accomplished in a lower league he will be able to recreate in a much more demanding environment.

There's no point in bringing Zidane and Pep in the conversation because the context of their respective appointments and what followed them is completely different from what United are going through atm. They inherited the two best players in the world and world-class squads in leagues where their CL qualification is safe and secured. Someone mentioned Luis Enrique. He went into a club whose attacking trident consisted of Messi/Suarez and Neymar and they had Iniesta and a prime Rakitic in the midfield for crying out loud. They needed a babysitter more than they needed a manager. Nevertheless, Luis Enrique had shown a clear playing style while he was at Roma.

Even the Klopp parallels seem rather moot to me. Yeah, it took him 3-4 seasons to get Liverpool going, that's true enough. But while no manager can guarantee United immediate success, as you correctly keep repeating, there's absolutely no guarantee that any unproven manager will be as successful as Klopp 4-5 years down the line.

The question for me is not with whom to replace Ole tomorrow. I'll back him and i wish him all the best. But keep in mind that we're not a sugar daddy club which means that, at some point, all the bad choices we make, will come back to haunt us. People on here like to give Liverpool as an example of a club that flourished by putting faith in its manager. But it's easy to forget that at the beginning of the PL era back in the early '90s Liverpool had the recent past glory to show off and they didn't lack a fat purse either. They vanished into mediocrity because they believed that "the answer" will always be found from within (the Boot room) and/or by keeping managers (Houllier) way past their expiry date. And it's quite frightening (at least to me it is) how much we look like this particular version of them nowadays.

So, i hope that Ole will do well but i'll always believe that, as long as we can afford them, we should aim for the best managers and players and always have a good overall strategy in the football department instead of taking high risks and crossing our fingers that things will work out well for us.
Great post - sums things up v well

Status
Not open for further replies.