Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusholme Ruffian

No one is telling you what you can and can't do but its tiring every day watching people sh*t on a guy who actively can't show you what his plans are for at least another 2 months before the season starts. There are so much things to talk about beyond sh*tting on OGS all day.

I don't care if you've been to Old Trafford 50 times and have a private box. There's one thing moaning when the season has started and we're playing badly but during the off season moaning is just so meh.

No one is saying OGS isn't a risky appointment and it could go wrong and it could go right who the feck knows but having the same debate for the 1000 time is just fecking weird, the whole footballing world knows its a risk but sometimes just sometimes a risk brings huge rewards.
You could just, you know, not open the thread?

Rafaeldagold

Or maybe just maybe I might want to read another discussion about OGS? Its not called the 'I don't think OGS should be manager thread is it?'
It’s also not called the ‘Ole sycophants thread’

You’re allowed to think he’s a good choice of manager- others can think differently in this thread

el3mel

Chelsea and Wolves away as the first 2 fixtures can set the start of the season to be as ugly as the last one.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Why are other managers able to stamp an identity on a team in a matter of weeks/months, yet with United it’s not “his team” until the manager has been able to replace most of the first XI. Klopp may have finished 8th in his first season with Liverpool, but you could see what he was trying to do almost from day one. None of this “it’s Brendan Rogers’ team” crap. Ole has had more than enough time to stamp his identity on this team and he hasn’t done it.
:lol::lol:. You will never get answer on that question. It is that kind of question when in real life you get; " Hm, ehm, hm...oh, feck off". Translated to this topic; "support your team".

dove

Why are other managers able to stamp an identity on a team in a matter of weeks/months, yet with United it’s not “his team” until the manager has been able to replace most of the first XI. Klopp may have finished 8th in his first season with Liverpool, but you could see what he was trying to do almost from day one. None of this “it’s Brendan Rogers’ team” crap. Ole has had more than enough time to stamp his identity on this team and he hasn’t done it.
Our fans always invent BS excuses as to why someone is failing. Absolutely nothing changed since Ole took over, we play exactly the same negative football but apparently it's due to lack of fitness.

AshRK

Our fans always invent BS excuses as to why someone is failing. Absolutely nothing changed since Ole took over, we play exactly the same negative football but apparently it's due to lack of fitness.
Or maybe it's just that the players are not good enough. Not defending Ole or saying he will sure shot be a success. But what good will it do by just keeping on sacking managers but keeping the same players for ages.

dove

Or maybe it's just that the players are not good enough. Not defending Ole or saying he will sure shot be a success. But what good will it do by just keeping on sacking managers but keeping the same players for ages.
Don't tell me we have worse players than majority of PL. Most games we just rode our luck, even against mediocre sides like CP, West Ham, Watford. They don't have better squads.

USREDEVIL

I guess you don't remember the players dropping like flies?

Hawks2008

Yeah but these people have to let you know what great fans they are because they 'back the manager'

AshRK

Don't tell me we have worse players than majority of PL. Most games we just rode our luck, even against mediocre sides like CP, West Ham, Watford. They don't have better squads.
SO you still think our squad is good enough to challenge for the title. I really doubt it. You talk about luck, we beat Chelsea and Arsenal fair and square. If people say we were lucky to get 3 points against Spurs because of De gea then the same argument should apply that we were unlucky because De gea was crap against Arsenal and Chelsea which ultimately cost us the top 4. Luck or no luck Ole came so close in getting this squad in top 4 after being more than 10 points away in December when he took over. Again not saying Ole has been perfect or he will definitely be successful but this whole ideology that another manager can make this squad look great is a bs argument. Till we get some better players and have a proper structure (not named Woodward), we will just revolve in same cycle.

USREDEVIL

Yeah but these people have to let you know what great fans they are because they 'back the manager'
Other than the "noggies" on here, I don't see any unconditional love for Ole. Most are just saying that he has inherited a mediocre squad and should at least be given a window and part of a new season after that before we make big conclusions about his ability to take us forward.

AshRK

Other than the "noggies" on here, I don't see any unconditional love for Ole. Most are just saying that he has inherited a mediocre squad and should at least be given a window and part of a new season after that before we make big conclusions about his ability to take us forward.
Good point. I also don't see many who are saying Ole is a top manager. It's just that you cannot keep on sacking managers and hope the tide turns when the people upstairs have been piss poor at their job.

dove

SO you still think our squad is good enough to challenge for the title. I really doubt it. You talk about luck, we beat Chelsea and Arsenal fair and square. If people say were lucky to get 3 points against Spurs because of De gea then the same argument should apply that we were unlucky because De gea was crap against Arsenal and Chelsea which ultimately cost us the top 4. Luck or no luck Ole came so close in getting this squad in top 4 after being more than 10 points away in December when he took over. Again not saying Ole has been perfect or he will definitely be successful but this whole ideology that another manager can make this squad look great is a bs argument. Till we get some better players and have a proper structure (not named Woodward), we will just revolve in same cycle.
No idea how you came to that conclusion from what I said :lol: We are definitely not good enough to challenge for the title but we are good enough to play decent watchable football and dominate against midtable teams. We don't do that. Most of the time we look like Stoke rather than a team calling themselves as the biggest club in the world. I saw quite a few people saying we played attacking football under Ole but in reality it's completely opposite. We are just as defensive as we were with Jose. Absolutely no ideas in our attacking play, no clue what to do with possession and it didn't improve at all in 6 months.

AshRK

No idea how you came to that conclusion from what I said :lol: We are definitely not good enough to challenge for the title but we are good enough to play decent watchable football and dominate against midtable teams. We don't do that. Most of the time we look like Stoke rather than a team calling themselves as the biggest club in the world. I saw quite a few people saying we played attacking football under Ole but in reality it's completely opposite. We are just as defensive as we were with Jose. Absolutely no ideas in our attacking play, no clue what to do with possession and it didn't improve at all in 6 months.
I give you that we looked toothless from mid March. I still would give ole this transfer window and a proper preseason to see if he can have us play good football but just replacing him now would just add more chaos.

deafepl

Apparently, losing a game is bad football regardless of outclassing opponents or whatever, Winning games comfortably = Entertaining football, Grinding out win = that's a sign of our mentally we try to win the game while playing not well. There's no such as entertaining football because that only exist when opponents are shit, we would outclass them

Ole had his lucks but he also gets bad luck like in Wolve, Arsenal, Liverpool, and Chelsea, etc. So it's fair.

You all have no idea what Ole is trying to do and question his brand of football when he got us to play better football than Chelsea and Arsenal when we faced them twice the time.

If Ole is not good coaches, is Sarri and Emery not good too?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I also don't buy the fitness excuse.
We were dreadful since the PSG game. Are we to believe that our fitness levels were the worst in the league, including bottom of the league and 2nd from bottom?
If this really was the case, I'd sell each and every outfield players who played in those matches. A footballer who cannot keep himself fit and healthy should be sacked/sold (yeah...I'm looking at you Phil Jones).

In any case, let's wait and see how the season starts and keep our fingers crossed that we don't end up in the bottom half of the table.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Seasons are long. Granted these guys are pros and should be more able to get through it than most but if the stories about Jose's preparations and training are to be believed they were not in any condition to keep up the frenetic pace of Ole's first few matches.

I used to play in a league that had a 14 game season. I was dead by the end of it and generally needed six weeks to recover.

Rafaeldagold

For some reason Ole is getting a free pass from the awful football he served up for a large period of time here- this point needs to be made that yes it’s great & preferable to have a manager in place for a while BUT not if they were the wrong choice to start off with!

Ole has such similar vibes to Moyes it’s frightening- The lack of any playing style, looking clueless on sidelines, saying wrong things in the media, having everyone wanting to give him time as ‘we shouldn’t be sacking managers. Ever. Regardless of form’

BlueHaze

For some reason Ole is getting a free pass from the awful football he served up for a large period of time here- this point needs to be made that yes it’s great & preferable to have a manager in place for a while BUT not if they were the wrong choice to start off with!

Ole has such similar vibes to Moyes it’s frightening- The lack of any playing style, looking clueless on sidelines, saying wrong things in the media, having everyone wanting to give him time as ‘we shouldn’t be sacking managers. Ever. Regardless of form’
He's not getting a free pass. He's been criticized plenty and rightly so. What most are saying however is that we have to give him a fair chance. It's not so much about pre season and more so about letting him get his own players in and make his own team. The season ended catastrophically and that had much to do with the previous manager deciding to tank the season to get sacked and coupe his pay out. If by next year we havn't made any improvements at all Ole will most likely go either way but for now we have to back him. There's not much alternatives out there at the minute anyway.

NJM78

I have never believed something so surely as I believe Ole will be gone by end of the season.

All this young hungry player, building a team to challenge will mean nowt to the owners when we fail to get CL again next season and lose shit loads of money.

Womp

idiot
What is worrying is his approach to games, which is extremely predictable and his lack of identifiable style. Has nothing to do with players.

Rafaeldagold

I think honestly hiring ex players who have an affinity to the club is such a bad idea as everyone wants them to do well & to succeed that even when it’s staring you in the face that they’re not good enough & performances are awful, uninspiring & defensive you still make up excuse after excuse. You want to give them more time than anyone else would have as you desperately in your heart want them to do well & can’t bear sacking them.

Then before you know it another season is gone & totally wasted

Rusholme Ruffian

I also don't buy the fitness excuse.
We were dreadful since the PSG game. Are we to believe that our fitness levels were the worst in the league, including bottom of the league and 2nd from bottom?
If this really was the case, I'd sell each and every outfield players who played in those matches. A footballer who cannot keep himself fit and healthy should be sacked/sold (yeah...I'm looking at you Phil Jones).

In any case, let's wait and see how the season starts and keep our fingers crossed that we don't end up in the bottom half of the table.
Yeah, I think a lot of people have grabbed onto this fitness thing for dear life (and it's understandable cos we all want to believe that Ole can turn things around), but I think they'll be in for a rude awakening when the season starts.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
This thread is just people repeating the same complaints over and over again and still offering nothing in terms of what we should have done differently.

Chelsea are in the situation we would have been in terms of available managers and are most likely about to appoint Lampard.

MUFC OK

I think we will complete our transformation into a Leicester quality side this season. The clock is ticking and the window thus far has given little hope that we can bridge the gap on any of the teams who finished above is last season. It could be long and painful season ahead of us.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Eh? Whenever Liverpool lost games this was the exact excuse Liverpool fans used to come up with and this continued till he replaced most of the players.

Lets not forgets gems like this
http://www.redcafe.net/threads/is-klopp-overrated.414215/

Now that they have improved few levels it's easy to rewrite history. And no it wasn't clear for everyone what Klopp was building and there was always post and threads like this.

Posts like this from Liverpool fans too on caf.
Disgusting, gutless performance. It's not Klopp's fault every single one of those Liverpool players is a bang average wage thief. He needs to change things from now though, this Firmino up top isn't working all that much imo and Can, Lucas and Henderson in our midfield is hurting us so bad that I can't begin to explain. It's as simple as that, the squad is average. Christ knows how we managed to get to that league cup final, but I wouldn't be surprised if we lose it. The fact that Klopp thought he didn't need to make some signings in January has pissed me off, you serve the fans the shit Liverpool have been playing (esp in the league) and you don't even try and strengthen at least one position? I am not looking forwards to the rest of the season.

Last edited:

Glideman

Eh? Whenever Liverpool lost games this was the exact excuse Liverpool fans used to come up with and this continued till he replaced most of the players.

Lets not forgets gems like this
http://www.redcafe.net/threads/is-klopp-overrated.414215/

Now that they have improved few levels it's easy to rewrite history. And no it wasn't clear for everyone what Klopp was building and there was always post and threads like this.

Posts like this from Liverpool fans too on caf.
THANK YOU, this Forum love to rewrite history and act like every manager comes with a style straight off the bat! The reality is you will see the style when you win and getting that style to look obvious without your own set of players takes time! If Klopp was our manager these same guys will want him sacked too! They’ll say how he nearly relegated Dortmund and isn’t up to the task!!!

roonster09

Scout
THANK YOU, this Forum love to rewrite history and act like every manager comes with a style straight off the bat! The reality is you will see the style when you win and getting that style to look obvious without your own set of players takes time! If Klopp was our manager these same guys will want him sacked too! They’ll say how he nearly relegated Dortmund and isn’t up to the task!!!
Exactly. Saying "they always saw what Klopp was building" or "Liverpool never used it was Rodgers' team" is just nonsense.

Glideman

Exactly. Saying "they always saw what Klopp was building" or "Liverpool never used it was Rodgers' team" is just nonsense.
What annoys me is that most fans are level headed, no one is saying OGS will be a success but he deserves a fair chance because he has the job and won’t be sacked preseason.

The people who think Klopp got Liverpool pressing like footballing Gods in his first 6 months are frantic delusional liars

roonster09

Scout
Few posts just from Klopp thread. "It is not Klopp's team" was the very common excuse made by Liverpool fans.

Any manager can be capable of failure. Look at Mourinho for example. It's far too early to talk about that though. Last season he took us to two finals with what was Rodgers' squad (and a slight improvement in the PL in terms of points per game, even though fielding virtual shadow teams in some of the season-ending matches). It will be interesting to see how he does this coming season with his own players and with the competition having made massive improvements of their own at both management and player level. I will be disappointed if he doesn't get us to 70-75 pts and let's see where that gets us.
It is basically a symptom of the Rodgers' era where, despite his constant protestations to the contrary, we ened up as a team with no character whatsoever.
Tony Evans had a proper rant about this on TalkSport just now.
Not judging Klopp based on working with Rodgers squad works both ways, not just an excuse for failure.
This time next year would have been the perfect time to offer Klopp an extension, with Everton on the up and the premiership becoming stupidly.competitive, Klopp could be under pressure by Christmas if they get off to a slow start and where would the club be then? Look at Rodgers post Suarez to see how it turns.
He spoke a lot of sense imo
The finals argument is silly as well, they're won or lost by small margins, defeat or victory depends on details a manger can't always control like penalties for example. Getting there with a inherited Rodgers side speaks much more volumes than losing them to sides like City and Sevilla.

roonster09

Scout
What annoys me is that most fans are level headed, no one is saying OGS will be a success but he deserves a fair chance because he has the job and won’t be sacked preseason.

The people who think Klopp got Liverpool pressing like footballing Gods in his first 6 months are frantic delusional liars
Yeah, they go with end result, do the reverse engineering and rewrite the history.

SotonRed

I have never believed something so surely as I believe Ole will be gone by end of the season..
He’ll be gone far quicker than that if we have the sort of season I’m expecting. Right now, I picture us stuck between 6th and 10th place with no identifiable playing style and no consistency.

TRUERED89

He’ll be gone far quicker than that if we have the sort of season I’m expecting. Right now, I picture us stuck between 6th and 10th place with no identifiable playing style and no consistency.
If Pogba goes and we don't sign atleast 2 MF's it going to get ugly for sure, Sky Sports reporting Juve officials visiting United's London offices in regards to a potential Pogba transfer! Hmmm

Vissy

In terms of management, Ole overworked the players and banked on the team being able to keep winning. When we weren't able to do so, everything collapsed in short order because the players were mentally(!) and physically fatigued. It will be different if our players up their fitness levels, and historically Ole has always been able to do that. He needs to manage the team's fatigue levels throughout the season and find the right balance during the next season.

Reactions: roonster09

Toad

Nobody knows for sure how we will do and how Ole will do. He may come out and surprise us. He hasn’t had long at all to put his stamp on things, he inherited a pretty poor squad and run out of steam eventually, which could have been due to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.