Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
What an absolute pile of horseshit. The idea that any United fan would want to see Ole fail, and the club therefore be in an even more fecked up state than it already is, exists only in your bizarre mind.
I don't think anybody wants him to fail.
If he takes us next year to the title, we'll all be happy. Not one of us would be unhappy. But we need to be realistic.
He is going up against the juggernaut of MCFC, as well as other teams who are all better than us.
The other issue is that after the PSG game, we showed relegation form. In our last 2 matches against relegated teams, we lost and drew.
Had any manager of a club in the top 6 (so, I'm not saying a top team, just a good team), had a manager who got those kind of results, he'd be fired. Pep and Klopp may have built up a lot of goodwill, so could've survived but any other manager would've been sacked.

Patrick08

The other issue is that after the PSG game, we showed relegation form.
Part of it is the result of that poor strategic planning of contracts by Woodward in case of Herrera and De gea, and dreadful matic signing. The balance struggled, the mentality struggled and so did our form and results. With any other manager we would have shown more or less the same form. It was not just tactical, the atmosphere at the club was rotting.

JustAGuest

I don't think anybody wants him to fail.
If he takes us next year to the title, we'll all be happy. Not one of us would be unhappy. But we need to be realistic.
He is going up against the juggernaut of MCFC, as well as other teams who are all better than us.
The other issue is that after the PSG game, we showed relegation form. In our last 2 matches against relegated teams, we lost and drew.
Had any manager of a club in the top 6 (so, I'm not saying a top team, just a good team), had a manager who got those kind of results, he'd be fired. Pep and Klopp may have built up a lot of goodwill, so could've survived but any other manager would've been sacked.
Check Arsenal's and Tottenham's results toward the end of the season. They aren't much better.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
The sheer disrespect towards a club legend without really giving him any chance. This type of talk could be understandable if we were in mid November midtable.
Enough with this disrespect club legend crap. He is a legend as player not a manager. As a manager he is mediocre nothingness which is why no other club anywhere was after him. Might as well give all our legendary players a go too. Neville Giggs Keane etc.. Ole was a massive mistake and its showing already in the transfer market

Lee565

I just dont see many top quality players wanting to play under Solskjear, maybe that's why we are chasing youngsters from mid-table sides, the difference with a top quality player joining the likes of Real Madrid with a under performing manager is that player knows that they wont mess about in removing him unlike at United where we have previous of allowing it to hit rock bottom and even then still hesitate to do something about it.

Kapardin

Check Arsenal's and Tottenham's results toward the end of the season. They aren't much better.
Arsenal and Tottenhan don't have the budgets we do. With great revenues, comes great responsibility. What is acceptable elsewhere shouldn't be our standard.

With the money we make, is it acceptable to be in transition for 6 odd years or make knee-jerk, sentimental appointments? Nope.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Arsenal and Tottenhan don't have the budgets we do. With great revenues, comes great responsibility. What is acceptable elsewhere shouldn't be our standard.
Also as someone mentioned they were both in European finals, like we let the league slip when we got to the EL final.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
I understand fans love Ole, as he was a legend of a player. What I can’t stand is the “it’s too soon to judge him, judge him after a window” rhetoric. This comes from the very people who were calling for him to be made permanent manager after 10 matches, effectively judging him on 10 matches despite him having already been in management for about 10 years.

Giving someone a window to prove themselves wrong for the job is basically writing off next season as well. Because what will happen, things become obvious usually around September/October as was the case with Moyes and Mourinho final season, board takes an extra 2-5 months to act and by then it’s too late to salvage anything and the following season is also zero (although next season we have the Europa League which might help whoever comes when Ole gets sacked around in December get us into the CL)

I was against giving it to him permanently even after the miracle in Paris. What Ole did was great for the short term, he came in spoke about the club’s history and reminded the players that United are the greatest and biggest club in England, at a time when moral was low this worked wonders and as a short term tactic a masterstroke by board until they fecked it up.

Kind of like a manager who has Aguero as his number 1 target but then thinks feck that I’ll sign Troy Deeney instead because he’s just had 10 good games.

croadyman

I am genuinely starting to feel that managing this chaos is doing serious long term damage to Ole.

So sad to see this happen to him but with those leeches and woody in charge what chance did he ever have.

Dve

I´m slightly optimistic before the coming season. When Solskjær talks down the expectations of what United can achieve already next season, I don´t believe him a bit. This is the same kind of talking he did first season at Molde - pointing out how it was close to impossible to compete with Rosenborg. Molde won the league.

United are chasing players from upper shelf; it looks like the ambitions are higher than a decent 4th place.

It´s not all about CL. Real Madrid, Barcelona and Manchester United are the 3 biggest clubs in the world. The moment you play for any of those clubs, you become famous world wide. Not so much if you play for Atalanta (although qualified for CL).

Enigma_87

You know who
I am genuinely starting to feel that managing this chaos is doing serious long term damage to Ole.

So sad to see this happen to him but with those leeches and woody in charge what chance did he ever have.
Yes the club isn't exactly doing him favors and I doubt he has a chance.

Regardless of what happens it wouldn't do any damage to his career IMO.

He was managing 10 years at Molde and no other club inquired about him, bar Cardiff. At least this spotlight is good for him for his career.

Moyes was still getting jobs after United.

hocane

I'm bloody terrified for this season.

I honestly think we can end up finishing mid table looking at the team and the manager. I think Ole will be gone by October.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ok, maybe it is too early to say this but i will say it. Lots of pros about Ole is based on what he said, not what he is doing. "He likes to play quick, attacking football" is one of favourite quotes here for example.
Second most used quote is how he will be ruthless. Well, so far under him Jones and Young got new contracts, Mata is close to that and there are no rumours about us selling any player except Pogba and Lukaku who are hardly deadwood.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ok, maybe it is too early to say this but i will say it. Lots of pros about Ole is based on what he said, not what he is doing. "He likes to play quick, attacking football" is one of favourite quotes here for example.
Second most used quote is how he will be ruthless. Well, so far under him Jones and Young got new contracts, Mata is close to that and there are no rumours about us selling any player except Pogba and Lukaku who are hardly deadwood.
Same argument everyday, even when the guy was caretaker manager with just 5-7 games under his belt when they got contracts.

Hopefully you were not attacked with this post.

roonster09

Scout
Oh sorry, you are still denying this. My bad. Or bloody journos making shit up
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...odward-on-club-s-longterm-plans-a4061281.html
Did you expect him to say "I don't have any say in anything".

“It’s early days,” said Solskjaer. “When I came in they were open and honest. They have a process to look for the next manager but the more you’re here the more you enjoy it.

“It’s one game at a time, though, and the day they announce the next manager, if it’s me or someone else, then good luck to them.”

Solskjaer added that, because of his interim status, he would have only a limited say in United’s January transfer activity.

He said he was happy with the squad as it stands and that there was no urgent need to add to it.

The club’s probably had a plan,” he said. “You don’t just plan the next day and next month. This transfer window has probably been planned since the summer and the year before.
And somehow caretaker manager with less than 10 games in charge all of a sudden offered contract to Jones and Young.

Last edited:

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Time will tell how Ole does. Let's hope he walks the talk.

I will say that one thing completely within his control is the quality of the coaching and the staff he has to assist him. He can definitely dictate that and if I were him, I would hire the best in the business, coaches, analysts etc. Delivering this has nothing to do with the structure of the club or even the players. Yes some of the players aren't great, but Liverpool don't all have great players - they are just well coached and know what the feck they are suppose to be doing.
If he fails, I don't want to hear the excuse of players etc. The coaching is all up to him and imho, is the biggest problem we have.

DomesticTadpole

I will say that one thing completely within his control is the quality of the coaching and the staff he has to assist him. He can definitely dictate that and if I were him, I would hire the best in the business, coaches, analysts etc. Delivering this has nothing to do with the structure of the club or even the players. Yes some of the players aren't great, but Liverpool don't all have great players - they are just well coached and know what the feck they are suppose to be doing.
If he fails, I don't want to hear the excuse of players etc. The coaching is all up to him and imho, is the biggest problem we have.
He has Mike Phelan who according to him ran the team instead of Sir Alex and then Michael Carrick who is learning on the job and is an unknown quantity and then Keiran McKenna who is the same really regarding senior players as up to now he has dealt with kids. Although we have had so-called experience coaches involved with previous managers recently and that didn't work. Maybe the best coaches are on the playing staff, or so they think.

Celoti23-81

I

Yup, spot on! There's been a conflict of interest for 6 years now, where we are expected to play the Utd way, yet hired defensive managers. I hope Mourinho would have adapted to the culture of Utd, but he wasn't interested in playing any different from from what his abilities allowed him!
With Ole, I don't think he has the best coaches around him! Carrick is hugely unproven, Mike Phelan is not the best as assistant by a long shot! The last 3 years of SAF's tenure with Mick as assistant did not provide entertaining football at all! 90% of games were dire, but we won because of the winning mentality SAF ingrained in the players!

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Did you expect him to say "I don't have any say in anything".

And somehow caretaker manager with less than 10 games in charge all of a sudden offered contract to Jones and Young.
You conveniently left out this:
Yet Woodward has entrusted the Norwegian to take part in contract negotiations and transfer strategy.
And this:
Solskjaer confirmed planning for the future is already well underway – and he is heavily-involved in the process.

Jazz

He has Mike Phelan who according to him ran the team instead of Sir Alex and then Michael Carrick who is learning on the job and is an unknown quantity and then Keiran McKenna who is the same really regarding senior players as up to now he has dealt with kids. Although we have had so-called experience coaches involved with previous managers recently and that didn't work. Maybe the best coaches are on the playing staff, or so they think.
I like Phelan but I don't think he's good enough technically. There's zero reason for him not to expand the coaching staff. I don't want the current staff going except the GK coach, but he should add to that team and get the very best technical staff. It doesn't mean you're disloyal to the current staff, it's a matter of efficiency and keeping standards high which is not only down to the playing staff - the manager needs to maintain the highest standards.

He also needs to realise he's not a player anymore with this loyalty to his 'guys'. The manger makes decisions for the collective, not just what makes him feel comfortable - and he has to be smarter than that. We'll see what happens but if he really studied Sir Alex he would know SAF wanted to win at all cost, so if there is better out there to help him, he would get them.

Can't blame Ed for any sub par coaching because it's Ole's job exclusively to get that right.

roonster09

Scout
You conveniently left out this:
Yet Woodward has entrusted the Norwegian to take part in contract negotiations and transfer strategy.
And this:
Solskjaer confirmed planning for the future is already well underway – and he is heavily-involved in the process.
Dude the first part is Journalist's opinion. No club offer contract randomly just because care taker manager asked for it. Even Jose had to beg and was on his knees to get contract offer for Fellaini, somehow Caretaker manager who managed less than 10 games offered contract to Phil Jones.

Solskjaer also said we have fantastic structure, he was all positive and said right things like how we are already planing for the future. Also contract doesn't happen with clikc of a button, it takes negotiations to agree. He signed in first week of Feb and that's what, 45 days since Ole was appointed? At that point it wasn't even sure that Ole will get permanent job.

DomesticTadpole

I like Phelan but I don't think he's good enough technically. There's zero reason for him not to expand the coaching staff. I don't want the current staff going except the GK coach, but he should add to that team and get the very best technical staff. It doesn't mean you're disloyal to the current staff, it's a matter of efficiency and keeping standards high which is not only down to the playing staff - the manager needs to maintain the highest standards.

He also needs to realise he's not a player anymore with this loyalty to his 'guys'. The manger makes decisions for the collective, not just what makes him feel comfortable - and he has to be smarter than that. We'll see what happens but if he really studied Sir Alex he would know SAF wanted to win at all cost, so if there is better out there to help him, he would get them.

Can't blame Ed for any sub par coaching because it's Ole's job exclusively to get that right.
Pardon the expression, but SAF could be a right SOB at times, I worry that Ole might be able to shout and swear now an again at the players, but sometime you have to be cruel to be kind as well. Players can get immune to people yelling at the them and might actually enjoy goading people into doing it. A bit like kids testing their boundaries until the adult cracks.

Jazz

I

Yup, spot on! There's been a conflict of interest for 6 years now, where we are expected to play the Utd way, yet hired defensive managers. I hope Mourinho would have adapted to the culture of Utd, but he wasn't interested in playing any different from from what his abilities allowed him!
With Ole, I don't think he has the best coaches around him! Carrick is hugely unproven, Mike Phelan is not the best as assistant by a long shot! The last 3 years of SAF's tenure with Mick as assistant did not provide entertaining football at all! 90% of games were dire, but we won because of the winning mentality SAF ingrained in the players!
'yeah i addressed Mike in my reply below.

It would go a far way if we had a great team around him and as I said, that has nothing to do with the structure of the club - that's all on the manager. If he asked for more people Ed would pay for that. I'd rather invest in a good back room team and lose out on a transfer, because I'm convinced the lack of identity and dire coaching is our most serious problem. If those things worked, we wouldn't be focusing so much on behind the scenes. It would also make his job easier.

Honestly, I can't understand football people. Things that make sense to us they are resistant to.

I blame Ed for not insisting that he get more better coaches. If I were CEO, I would make that a condition of him getting the job. It's so obvious how badly coached we are that I cannot understand people at the club ignoring this.

Good technical staff, fitness coaches and improvement to the sports science department - all these things the manager can control. He can't control whether the Glazers spend on transfers, but he can control all the above.

DomesticTadpole

'yeah i addressed Mike in my reply below.

It would go a far way if we had a great team around him and as I said, that has nothing to do with the structure of the club - that's all on the manager. If he asked for more people Ed would pay for that. I'd rather invest in a good back room team and lose out on a transfer, because I'm convinced the lack of identity and dire coaching is our most serious problem. If those things worked, we wouldn't be focusing so much on behind the scenes. It would also make his job easier.

Honestly, I can't understand football people. Things that make sense to us they are resistant to.

I blame Ed for not insisting that he get more better coaches. If I were CEO, I would make that a condition of him getting the job. It's so obvious how badly coached we are that I cannot understand people at the club ignoring this.

Good technical staff, fitness coaches and improvement to the sports science department - all these things the manager can control. He can't control whether the Glazers spend on transfers, but he can control all the above.
A coach who can teach them how to defend efficiently might be a start and like you I am not impressed with DDG's coach. Either get a coach who can teach him to distribute the ball better and concentrate better or change both of them.

Jazz

Pardon the expression, but SAF could be a right SOB at times, I worry that Ole might be able to shout and swear now an again at the players, but sometime you have to be cruel to be kind as well. Players can get immune to people yelling at the them and might actually enjoy goading people into doing it. A bit like kids testing their boundaries until the adult cracks.
Yeah that was a part of SAF's personality but players trusted and feared him. I personally don't think Ole should go down that route as he hasn't got the pedigree to gain instant respect and fear. He would have to win a hell of a lot for him to be able to act like that and have it effect the players.

What SAF did do was recognise where he had a weakness and got people in to help him. For e.g.. we had Carolos Queiroz who helped us to improve immensely in the CL. There was something lacking in our previous campaigns, and SAF recognised it and dealt with it. That's one of the reasons he was such a great manager. You have to accept you won't know how to do everything but put things into place and/or get the resources to help you achieve what you want. This is what I wish Ole would do.

Jazz

A coach who can teach them how to defend efficiently might be a start and like you I am not impressed with DDG's coach. Either get a coach who can teach him to distribute the ball better and concentrate better or change both of them.
Frans Hoek is my pick still. In fact, I would get him on board whether or not DDG dislikes him (as it was when he was here). I would like young Henderson to work under someone like Hoek. He's young, ambitious and will more readily take things on board unlike the established players imho.

DomesticTadpole

Frans Hoek is my pick still. In fact, I would get him on board whether or not DDG dislikes him (as it was when he was here). I would like young Henderson to work under someone like Hoek. He's young, ambitious and will more readily take things on board unlike the established players imho.
That would not be a bad idea, as if we are going to use Henderson down the line, it will be tragic if we don't, start developing his initiating attacks methods. You just get the impression that Dean will be loaned to Sheffield United for the season, as I also think will happen with Axel with regards to Villa. It will not do them any harm.

Jazz

That would not be a bad idea, as if we are going to use Henderson down the line, it will be tragic if we don't, start developing his initiating attacks methods. You just get the impression that Dean will be loaned to Sheffield United for the season, as I also think will happen with Axel with regards to Villa. It will not do them any harm.
Don't know why I'm so impressed with Henderson. I think it's his attitude and determination and I can see him wanting to improve and be the best. I don't want him going anywhere. Axel will keep improving as well.

We just need to get the right people around to coach them properly. Rash needs good coaching as well - not being told he's better than he is as that's a huge mistake. How our people can't recognise that I just don't know.

Revaulx

This. It was the same under Jose, oddly. Players looking like they’d never met each other before. Lukaku made to play as a target man. Terrible corners and free kicks; ditto defending at same. Anyone expecting a load of shiny new signings to thrive in such a dysfunctional setup is going to be disappointed.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
I’m worried.

Time is soon starting to work against us. Pogba and Lukaku wants out. Nothing new regarding DDG. Renewing contracts to squad players who’re 30+ don’t fill me with confidence. No news regarding a DoF. Right now nobody knows what’s going on and we are two weeks away from pre season.

Allas8

I’m worried.

Time is soon starting to work against us. Pogba and Lukaku wants out. Nothing new regarding DDG. Renewing contracts to squad players who’re 30+ don’t fill me with confidence. No news regarding a DoF. Right now nobody knows what’s going on and we are two weeks away from pre season.
On the flip side, no other clubs in the league is making any transfers, and we got a few talented players coming through the academy.

Greck

Yes agree that description isn't what people mean when they ask what his playing style is. It's the equivalent of saying Pep favours a slow possession style. It's not inaccurate but doesn't address the question. Even Route 1 could be described as quick attacking football.

By the end of the season I lowered the bar for progress from tuning in to watch us win matches to just wanting to see improvements in the way we got the ball from the back to the final third and even that gave little reason for optimism. Where are the passing triangles, tactical organisation for ball retention because having Young launch balls through the channels for Rashford to chase is as good as surrendering possession in this day and age. Fitness isn't going to fix this aspect.

Ole needs to get technical possession coaches to help and also technical players not more kick and run merchants

Last edited:

Jazz

This. It was the same under Jose, oddly. Players looking like they’d never met each other before. Lukaku made to play as a target man. Terrible corners and free kicks; ditto defending at same. Anyone expecting a load of shiny new signings to thrive in such a dysfunctional setup is going to be disappointed.
Jose was stuck in his ways so there's that. However, Ole needs to be more flexible. It's obvious there is a big problem with coaching and a lack of a proper system. Just have proper direction playing wise. Is that too much to ask from our managers? Forget Ed, Glazers etc, they pay these managers big money to do this particular aspect of the job well, irrespective of anything else going on in the club. Why can't the managers just do that basic part of their job? It's an obvious problem which needs fixing with hiring good staff. The players aren't coaches no matter how good they are - they need good direction and that's all on the manager.
Therefore I'm hoping Ole doesn't disappoint us and come up with crap excuse like that.

JustAGuest

Looks like Chelsea are taking a similar approach with Frank Lampard, despite all the great replacements available with better CVs. Another club guided by nostalgia?

bucky

Looks like Chelsea are taking a similar approach with Frank Lampard, despite all the great replacements available with better CVs. Another club guided by nostalgia?
Who's actually available to them? Seems that most good managers are tied up and they don't really a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.