Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If they were ready, OGS would had put them on the field. I don't think they've done enough to give the manager confidence.
This is interesting when it comes to Gomes. When he played in preseason (and it was little due to Ole not giving him minutes) he look like our best no10

So the manager didn't even gave confidence to give him more minutes in pre season friendlies... However Lingard performances in pre season gave him confidence to play him more and even to start the season?

Something doesn't add up

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
All in all though I was impressed with Oles tactical setup today was spot on

Gasolin

This is interesting when it comes to Gomes. When he played in preseason (and it was little due to Ole not giving him minutes) he look like our best no10

So the manager didn't even gave confidence to give him more minutes in pre season friendlies... However Lingard performances in pre season gave him confidence to play him more and even to start the season?

Something doesn't add up
My best bet is the contract situation, or something of that nature, I don't know. I understand Lingard worked hard but he could score worldies or miss them. Today he missed them. Another day, yes, he could score them, he's actually scored some before.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
The consensus seems to be that Ole is showing sure signs that he will eventually get there as he's placing his feet in the right place

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Tactical set up was spot on, but we came out for the second half very poorly.

Also left himself with little option when things eventually went wrong by starting James / not trusting Greenwood for longer.

We was crying out for a sub from around the 70th minute and waited until the 88th to do anything.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Try to point that we did deserve to win the game.
Ah. Yeah. I think we found it typically hard to carve out chances in the 2nd half and when we did we weren't clinical. Which is something we're used to. I thought it was just as likely that they would get the winner once they levelled. But of course, we should have scored from the pen...

I'm less frustrated by the result than the drop in performance in the 2nd half and the relative cluelessness in our attack and set pieces. Plus, the lack of any squad depth whatsoever in midfield (in terms of quality) which is telling.

Thankfully we're only playing a game a week so far. Once it's full on, I'm not sure it's going to be pretty.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Because apart from a 20 minute period in the 2nd half, we were by far the more threatening team and had enough situations to have scored another goal. We kept them from having any meaningful possession while we moved the ball quite well and created a lot of half chances that we could have scored off if we had got that final ball right.
That's been our achilles heel for quite some time.

AshRK

This is an interesting comment. You need to play experience even if they are poor and offer nothing to the side... sure. Play the experienced players who can offer something. That isn't Lingard.

Play Mata instead, play Fred in a 3 instead. If you want a mobile 10 then play the better player (Gomes)

You cannot complain about lack of quality if you ignore the quality you have due to age.
You have to understand wolves away is a tough game and you cannot have both gomes and greenwood feature and hope to win matches (and put extra pressure on young players)especially the 2nd match of the season. I cannot blame ole for not.playing gomes and Greenwood but I do blame him for not making the subs earlier.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Odd thing to blame Ole on when the players themselves discussed and made decision. But then again, it's not surprising.
So you will defend Ole in every single situation? You really think that leaving it for players to decide is a good man management?
Imo, that is best way to those disgraceful situations when you see players fighting over penalty.

Code-CX

I’m not saying he’s not to blame for the draw, but seriously just look at the state of our attacking options on the bench. Pereira, Mata, and Greenwood. Two absolutely pointless players and a kid. We have nothing to fall back on once things don’t go our way and this will cost Ole dearly throughout the season.

I’m not one to jump to conclusions too early, but I don’t think he will last the season. Our squad isn’t good and I don’t believe he’s the type of manager to create miracles with what he has at his disposal.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I’m not saying he’s not to blame for the draw, but seriously just look at the state of our attacking options on the bench. Pereira, Mata, and Greenwood. Two absolutely pointless players and a kid. We have nothing to fall back on once things don’t go our way and this will cost Ole dearly throughout the season.

I’m not one to jump to conclusions too early, but I don’t think he will last the season. Our squad isn’t good and I don’t believe he’s the type of manager to create miracles with what he has at his disposal.
He'll be given the season and then some if the continues on his current path.

You're a fool if you cannot see the night and day difference between the last three managers and this one. The tactics are spot on, its the execution which left us high and dry today and even then, look at the goal they scored.

ash_86

I have Only two issues with ogs.

1. Designate a permanent penalty taker. It's not that difficult.
2. Make subs proactively. When something is not going our way, he needs to change it.

Otherwise I was pretty happy with our performance.

Will Singh

Before the game I would have taken a draw but after playing them it feels like we've dropped 2 points. I thought we had a rule at the club that is the appointed penalty taker keeps taking unles he's not not the pitch or he missed he's previous one then it gets passed to the next penalty taker and so on? Or was that one of our failed managers philosophy...?

Code-CX

He'll be given the season and then some if the continues on his current path.

You're a fool if you cannot see the night and day difference between the last three managers and this one. The tactics are spot on, its the execution which left us high and dry today and even then, look at the goal they scored.
I’m not saying there aren’t improvements. However, Woodward and co will not hesitate to throw him under the bus if things don’t go well enough. He should have been backed more this summer, but we decided to do feck all in terms of reinforcing midfield and attack when we lost Herrera, Fellaini, and Lukaku. This to me is absolutely bonkers. Our attacking options on the bench are basically non-existent and this will hurt us throughout the season.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I’m not saying there aren’t improvements. However, Woodward and co will not hesitate to throw him under the bus if things don’t go well enough. He should have been backed more this summer, but we decided to do feck all in terms of reinforcing midfield and attack when we lost Herrera, Fellaini, and Lukaku. This to me is absolutely bonkers. Our attacking options on the bench are basically non-existent and this will hurt us throughout the season.
He wont be thrown under the bus.

I can understand not re-enforcing in favour of youth, where the players that are available we pay dramatically over the odds for and the other players are not an upgrade on what we already have. Its the first time since Gill and Fergie left that this club has reconsidered how they do business to the overall benefit of the playing group.

Bojan11

I’m just worried about our build up play. We keeping the ball a lot but we having to be deadly in front of goal. We not splitting the defences open and making keepers save non stop. Don’t think Kepa or Wolves goalkeeper today had much to do.

Kag

That first half is down to coaching. Coaching we haven’t seen since Van Gaal’s first season. And he didn’t get it right either. But that will to dominate and attack is most definitely there, even in spite of some fairly average options in the way of Lingard and McTominay.

A litmus test for thick mincers, tonight was.

Matst1

While the reaction is overboard in places, I think it mainly stems from the fact that we didn’t give Wolves an inch in the first half. Adama Traore made a massive difference in the second half and our players lost their heads for 10-15 mins. Problem is, Ole failed to react in any way. It was clear that we needed to bring on fresh legs, because we simply were not going to get a goal.

We should have won that game. Wolves away will be tough for every team in the league and that’s where we can get a lead on others. Just depressing at how poor we were in the second half after the absolute domination of the first.

Pogba was also terrible in general, not including his penalty (good save).
Bar that 15-20 minutes in the second half where they were on top, we regained control and we’re doing ok and had opportunities to score again. Pogba was not terrible, jeez. He had a solid game even though he missed the pen and gave away possession a few times.

It’s football, it ebs and flows, doesn’t mean the manager should immediately make changes if the oppo team is controlling for spells. I don’t understand why people freak out so much, we are two games in, let’s see where we are in a few months time.

He'sRaldo

Wolves are years ahead of us in their development as a team, thus they're a very good team, not easy to go to away.

I suspect he needs time to sort out attacking patterns as most of the work done so far has been fitness.

acnumber9

We played quite well for most of the game but he waited far too long to make changes. Bringing Greenwood and Pereira on two minutes before the game is over was a waste of time though. Changes needed to be much earlier.

UDontMessWith24

Thought we looked organized and cohesive today, with the players being comfortable with the game plan and carrying out very well. No qualms with allowing Pogba and Rashford to sort out the penalty either. Pogba has missed a couple but his penalties are quality more often than not and he caused it. The only complaint I would have is playing Lingard in front of a base of Pogba/McTominay is highly problematic and has an adverse trickle down effect on the midfield and attack. Without a 10 with close control and awareness it affords the opposition the option of surrounding Pogba, which cuts him off, and consequently McTominay has to take on more a playmaking role. As much as I rate McTominay when he plays to his strengths, he should contributing to build up play as a ball winning midfielder as opposed to a deep lying playmaker.

We are at our most dangerous when Rashford and Martial receive support from the midfield sufficient to allow them as many touches as possible in and around the box. That's not happening with Lingard, and it's up to Ole to figure out how to balance the midfield. Not an enviable task considering the POS banker is a circus clown when it comes to transfers, but nonetheless this is where we are. I can definitely see where Ole envisioned Bruno Fernandes fitting in.

Foxbatt

We played well in the fist half because Wolves let us have the possession and also we were fresh. As the game went on our midfield of two got tired and Lingard was out of the game. We needed to get hold of the game even after they scored. It is very well to have possession and we use to have it when LVG was the manager too. You cannot make passes when they are no triangles and all we tried to do was to get a long one to Martial or Rashford and let them try on their own.
We should have got Matic in for Lingard as Wolves started to fall back and then let Pogba move a bit forward. People blame Scott but this is a two man midfield and he is eventually going to run out of steam and when you are tired your passing also goes awry.
Ole should have taken James off, put Gomez in the centre and let him try to open the defence. Games are won my managers who are also able to react to the situation. Putting Mata was a major mistake too. Yes we will get find out and I would say Pool, City would have destroyed Wolves today.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I’m just worried about our build up play. We keeping the ball a lot but we having to be deadly in front of goal. We not splitting the defences open and making keepers save non stop. Don’t think Kepa or Wolves goalkeeper today had much to do.
Been the case for years. These things require top class coaching and also more creative and technical players. When three of your starters are Mctominay, Lingard and James (early days for him yes), teams know you're not oozing with technical briiance in the buildup.

We need more players who can operate well in tighter spaces.

amolbhatia50k

Today was a decent result but two criticisms for Ole
  • Should be a more decisive leader when it comes to penalty taking responsibilies. Whoever feels like, is just lame and weak.
  • He should be braver in taking off the likes of Lingard, James and Mctominay if they aren't offering a lot.

Foxbatt

To be honest I do not think he has much of a clue as to coach a modern football team. Certainly not to the level to compete against teams that have the same ability as us or even lesser players. We played in possession because Wolves let us play like that. Look at our corners. Every corner to the far past. Everyone or it let the first defender clear it.

Bojan11

Been the case for years. These things require top class coaching and also more creative and technical players. When three of your starters are Mctominay, Lingard and James (early days for him yes), teams know you're not oozing with technical briiance in the buildup.

I agree.

I don’t think Wolves are as tough as people make them out to be. They couldn’t keep the ball in the first half and were just hoofing it aimlessly. A team with more creativity like City or Liverpool would have finished them off in the first half thus making the managers second half team talk pointless.

amolbhatia50k

I agree.

I don’t think Wolves are as tough as people make them out to be. They couldn’t keep the ball in the first half and were just hoofing it aimlessly. A team with more creativity like City or Liverpool would have finished them off in the first half thus making the managers second half team talk pointless.
They're nothing great. Overrated team (at least here).

NoPace

Mata and Greenwood are better against a team sitting deep than either Lingard or James, I have no idea why Ole didn't bring on one or preferably both with about 25-30 minutes to go.

I think Ole will keep his job as we'll be in a dogfight with Arsenal for 4th place. Chelsea already look behind and Spurs ahead (considering their injuries to Son, Vertonghen and not having Lo Celso in they've looked okay). We might be aided a bit by the fact that Prem teams look a bit more gung ho this year, which should suit us more than Arsenal I'd guess.

Plan A looked good enough tonight. We have no plan B. It's still nuts that even if we're waiting for Sancho or didn't want to spend a bunch on a player we weren't sure about that we didn't find a right sided player or #10 for this year to help us against teams sitting back, even if it meant what Bayern did and coughing up a bunch of money on a loan for Coutinho or Perisic. Dani Ceballos would have been an interesting option too.

reelworld

I think you’re dead wrong about Wolves.
Nah, I think @kidbob assessment is closer to the truth. IMO, Wolves are just a better version of Moyes' Everton. More organized and maybe slightly better upfront. United downfall was, they don't have enough threat from central areas. Once Wolves doubling on the wings, United find it very hard to break them down. Ironically, two of our best chances were coming from central areas, one resulted in goal. If Ole wanted Pogba to spray passes from deep, with the ocassional forward runs, then the number 10 must provide more threat centrally, otherwise our attack will be easy to deal with.
I'd argue that City or Spurs will have a field day with Wolves, due to the fact that they're much more balanced in their attack than ours

Eddy_JukeZ

We saw our build up go awry as soon as Wolves pressed us to start the 2nd half too.

We circulate the ball too slow.

Build up too often through the wings instead of the half spaces centrally and our general structure at times is still poor compared to City or even Liverpool.

But yeah we're going nowhere with people like McTominay basically being our holding midfielder and Lingard being the #10.

Ole's improved our fitness, but the jury's out on him if he can get us truly pummeling sides into submission and us creating chances galore.

Tarrou

Ole's got us playing much better, and we were unlucky today to not come away with 3 points from a difficult place.

I agree with the criticism over the subs but the main issue there is we don't have much depth on the bench.

He doesn't have enough quality and that could well be his downfall, sadly.

Yagami

Good post resistant
That first half is down to coaching. Coaching we haven’t seen since Van Gaal’s first season. And he didn’t get it right either. But that will to dominate and attack is most definitely there, even in spite of some fairly average options in the way of Lingard and McTominay.

A litmus test for thick mincers, tonight was.
To be honest, I thought he got it right in the 1st half. They couldn't get out of their half, I don't think they registered 1shot, and, as well as Martial's goal, he could've had another from a brilliant Rashford cross.

It was a very encouraging performance for me.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So you will defend Ole in every single situation? You really think that leaving it for players to decide is a good man management?
Imo, that is best way to those disgraceful situations when you see players fighting over penalty.
They are not fighting. They are designated penalty takers and decided who takes it.

No I don't defend him in every situation, but these are silly things to point out and criticize him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think Ole deserves bit of criticism for not bringing on Greenwood, he is better than Mata and Lingard should have been off early.

Hopefully Gomes and Greenwood gets more mins against Palace. Gomes should start instead of Lingard. Greenwood can come in as a sub in second half. Throwing too many young players at once might backfire.

hocane

That game tells me one thing.
We're a pure counter attacking team and if we aren't allowed to counter attack we have no idea what to do.
Only 2 shots on target with all that possession, im worried.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
People need some perspective here
  • Wolves away is an incredibly tough fixture and they defend really well. No one except maybe City can expect to create much there
  • They had a 5 minutes period in 2nd half were they were dangerous and scored (a worldie), otherwise we shut them down completely
  • Making subs that late is pointless yes unless you want waste time, but people thinking just throwing Greenwood/Chong to the wolves and hoping they will win us the game single handedly needs a reality check. They are teenagers and need to be used correctly. If say Greenwood came on earlier and made an error that had lead to the game ended 1-2 instead, it would be a huge blow to his confidence.
  • Out purchases this summer have gone towards being more defensive secure, and we look a lot better there. Two games vs top 8(?) sides and they have hardly troubled De Gea
  • Hindsight is a beautiful thing innit? But yes, Rashford should probably be on penalty duty from now on
And most importantly: We are still a work in progress. Remember December last year? We looked on the verge of completely collapsing. Players were unhappy, Jose was spewing venom, we looked like we barely even tried when entering the pitch, press was in a frenzy and printing negative stuff every day. The rot that was in our club had to be pulled out stem and root and this is going to take more than one summer to fix and people who thought we were going to challenge City and Pool this year lives in a fantasy land.

Not saying Ole is the Messiah and i know hes the right man for the rebuild, but the start is promising. Lukaku and (hopefully) Sanchez are out. Wan Bissaka and Maguire looks like great additions, which also means we are spared from looking at Young and Smalling/Jones stink up the place. If we can keep Pogba we have the making of a very young, and very good core here. Some top quality additions in MF and attack and we will start to look really threatening again

redIndianDevil

Lingard as a number 10 is going to feck OGS. At this point I'd rather have Pogba at 10 and Matic or Fred back.

The United

Well, I can't say for sure OGS will be successful. No one can.

But, most of the issues you guys are talking about will take time and at least a couple more players to sort out. I would be a bit more patience instead of expecting to become city or pool after a pre season. That would be crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.