Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedMilo

The football is very watchable and when he turns this into winning football, then it will be great. Genuinely excited about the future, if the manager gets backed.

Smores

His one remaining positive seems to be 'well his signings are good', might work for James but ffs we spent a fortune on premier league proven AWB and Maguire not turning them to shit isn't much praise.

As for being in brave in trusting youth you'll have to explain that to me because all he's done is bring them off the bench a couple of times like every manager does. He hasn't shown any significant backing of youth to date at all apart from press conferences.

Keefy18

Yes it is true about the owners but can you exactly tell me what is Ole tactical approach. We can't even beat Crystal Palace and bloody Soton. He's one of the problem. He is tactical clueless. I only support him to get rid of the deadwoods. But to move us further title challenge? Nahh not a chance he can do it even with new players.
You fail to see the main point I was trying to make. Signings or no Signings, we shouldn't have lost to Palace or drawn with Southampton with the current squad and Ole has failed to inspire the team. So Ole needs to be blamed with his mid game decisions or lack thereof.
Man City with their billions and billions worth of talent, world class manager lost to Palace at home in December, 3-2.

Guess what, s*it happens... it happens more so when you've a bunch of poorer players in comparison to City as well. We don't have their abundance of talent and our team is not a... well, a team! We are not well drilled and the cogs in the machine currently don't all fit.

It takes time to get to that level, its not instantaneous.

Manager needs at least 8 years to implement his ideas. Or something like that.
What and 6 months of working with the players directly is enough?

Infra-red

His in-game management (or lack thereof) is definitely becoming a concern. He never reacts to tactical changes by the opposition. Yesterday, Saints started slowly, reorganised and were on top for most of the next 45 - we did absolutely nothing to change things. If it hadn't been for that red card...

Put it together with the inability to break sides down, the lack of organisation from set pieces and ineffective substitutions and it's pretty clear that were not a particularly well-coached side.

Keefy18

His in-game management (or lack thereof) is definitely becoming a concern. He never reacts to tactical changes by the opposition. Yesterday, Saints started slowly, reorganised and were on top for most of the next 45 - we did absolutely nothing to change things. If it hadn't been for that red card...
Yes he did.

He brought on Matic to move Pogba further forward and as disappointed as I was to see Lingard come on, moved him RW in place of Periera who was awful. Sadly for us, Lingard is just as bad or worse.

Put it together with the inability to break sides down, the lack of organisation from set pieces and ineffective substitutions and it's pretty clear that were not a particularly well-coached side.
I've read this time and time and time again the last 6 years, ever stop and think its simply a lack of quality with the players?

Greck

The football is very watchable and when he turns this into winning football, then it will be great. Genuinely excited about the future, if the manager gets backed.
Is it? The only thing watchable is that the other team is always in the game and that's not a compliment to us either. The football is ponderous, square passing, improvised, few one-twos, it's the same make it up as you go along football like the last manager. We don't really have any of the modern principles that allow us to sustain meaningful possession. Ole needed an addition to his coaching staff over the summer as he doesn't really have it in his locker to coach a playing identity. Pep, Klopp and Poch have really raised he bar on what it takes to excel as a manager in the PL. Winning is now even less about assembling a team better than the competition

Last edited:

The-Natural

I'm definitely not at the stage where I want the club to look at another manager. He has got rid of so much of the dross and brought in genuinely valuable additions to the team. Also, he clearly isn't blind to under performing players judging by his benching of Lingard yesterday.

I know on the playing side things need to improve but I personally don't find us unwatchable anymore. The team looks more coherent and are clearly trying to evolve into a different style. Those two penalties go in against Wolves and Palace and the narrative would be something like 'looking better but still a work in progress', when, in my opinion, that's actually where we're at regardless of those results.

Absolutely deserves another few transfer windows.

Infra-red

Yes he did.

He brought on Matic to move Pogba further forward and as disappointed as I was to see Lingard come on, moved him RW in place of Periera who was awful. Sadly for us, Lingard is just as bad or worse.

I've read this time and time and time again the last 6 years, ever stop and think its simply a lack of quality with the players?
I have been saying that the players aren't good enough for most of these six years. Nobody wanted to hear it when Mourinho was in charge. It's become de rigueur now, though.

As for those changes, Saints started getting on top in the first half, Solskjaer waited until the 68th minute before doing anything.

Ralph1386

I'm definitely not at the stage where I want the club to look at another manager. He has got rid of so much of the dross and brought in genuinely valuable additions to the team. Also, he clearly isn't blind to under performing players judging by his benching of Lingard yesterday.

I know on the playing side things need to improve but I personally don't find us unwatchable anymore. The team looks more coherent and are clearly trying to evolve into a different style. Those two penalties go in against Wolves and Palace and the narrative would be something like 'looking better but still a work in progress', when, in my opinion, that's actually where we're at regardless of those results.

Absolutely deserves another few transfer windows.
I think that Ole will end up being a transitional manager in hindsight. The one who laid good foundations for the next manager (ie. changing the culture, getting rid of the deadwood and hiring the right kinds of players). He's just not the tactical genius who will get us trophies.

gormless

I think that Ole will end up being a transitional manager in hindsight. The one who laid good foundations for the next manager (ie. changing the culture, getting rid of the deadwood and hiring the right kinds of players). He's just not the tactical genius who will get us trophies.

Whilst I am hopeful you’re correct, this forum said the same about LVG back in 2015. All this talk about how well coached we were, making the players comfortable in a possession style of play etc.

Due to board having no overall plan, we naturally get a manager in Jose with a completely different style meaning it was all worthless

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
I respect the opinion of every fan on this site I really do but at the moment it seems that those backing Ole are the ones thinking with their feelings (as opposed to their mind as you put it).

If it had been a couple of matches only with decent progress on the pitch then you are right it would be post match anger and fan entitlement. But as it is, the facts are really stacking up against Ole and only blind faith would say otherwise.

If we look at results, his record is awful since initial bounce. Results starting with his first loss to arsenal in march =(18/19)LWLWLLDDL/(19/20)WDLD. Times that by 3 to get a full season and it doesnt even hit 40 points. Thats relegation form.

Lets look at style of play, tactics and cohension. I know people want to see things but the reality is that I don't think there has been any improvement. Any positivity he brought has been washed away too with the results.

Then if we look at transfers window, yes his purchases look sound and he has got rid of some deadwood. However, not replacing them is a huge risk and its not paying off so far. His failure to bring in players where it was clear we needed them is negligence on his part and counters the good he has done and puts his judgement under question.

Finally, which kids is he introducing? We have a young team but that isn't down to him. Whereas Lampard is showing faith in their top youth talent, Ole is paying lipservice but playing Lingard and Perreira. Youth products but not youth. Mctominay and rashford were already established. If he really wanted to he bold he would play greenwood for longer than 10 minutes and give gomes time.
You’re spot on in almost everything, especially the bold parts and like many others has mention our results in the PL since the game against Arsenal is chocking. There are no excuses.

Nobody cares if the manager makes a few mistakes her and there but when bad decisions are repeated over and over again then it’s hard to not overlook his involvements in our long run of bad results.

Continue to use a 2-man midfield including Pogba when even a blind can see that this isn’t working.

Repeatedly play Lingard and Pereira as starters when it’s clear as daylight that they are not good enough.

Selling Lukaku and send Sanchez on loan without any decent replacement. That’s criminal.

Selling Fellaini and lose Herrera on a free without any decent replacement. Stupid beyond belief.

Start the new season with McTominay as one of our core central player. No criticism against Scott but he isn’t experienced and talented enough to patrol our midfield with Pogba behind him. One attacking midfielder together with a natural b2b player to be up against 433 or 451 formations. Baffling and direct unintelligent.

Start the season with no clear game plan except press high up and relying on improved fitness. Lost for words.

I really like Ole Gunnar, we are both from similar culture backgrounds so I’m familiar with his approach but frankly he’s not god enough as manager at this level. He’s much more suited to be a DoF. Diplomatic and positive and not afraid to take bold decisions. Let him finish this season then make a change.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Aye, thats my opinion as well.

Just need to make sure the next Manager plays in a similar way to ensure they actually use the squad thats been built up.

The-Natural

That thought had certainly occurred to me and I'm perfectly fine with it. I never expected the team to win things this year but I still think a lot of fans struggle to fully accept that. Yep we're the most profitable club in the world and it's crazy to say that but it just seems to be where we're at.

For me, it all comes back to the players he has brought in thus far being really worthwhile (how often have we been able to say that since Fergie left?) and having a clear idea of where he wants the team to go that makes me happy to back him.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Whilst I am hopeful you’re correct, this forum said the same about LVG back in 2015. All this talk about how well coached we were, making the players comfortable in a possession style of play etc.

Due to board having no overall plan, we naturally get a manager in Jose with a completely different style meaning it was all worthless
Yes. The choice of manager after LvG, even though we won trophies was amazing. The change of style and the fact that they seemed to be oblivious to Jose having fallouts means we did not do some pretty easy homework and went for the easy option of a big name manager who was available without compensation to another club.

Ralph1386

You're right. I remember they were saying that LVG was going to steady the ship.

Ole looks like someone who would be good as a DOF but not the actual manager. Let's see how it turns out and if the owners wake up at some point.

DomesticTadpole

That thought had certainly occurred to me and I'm perfectly fine with it. I never expected the team to win things this year but I still think a lot of fans struggle to fully accept that. Yep we're the most profitable club in the world and it's crazy to say that but it just seems to be where we're at.

For me, it all comes back to the players he has brought in thus far being really worthwhile (how often have we been able to say that since Fergie left?) and having a clear idea of where he wants the team to go that makes me happy to back him.
I tend to agree and the next manager, as has been said over and over again, will be crucial. They really need to do their research properly, DOF anyone. Otherwise we could be going round in circles for years more.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Man City with their billions and billions worth of talent, world class manager lost to Palace at home in December, 3-2.

Guess what, s*it happens... it happens more so when you've a bunch of poorer players in comparison to City as well. We don't have their abundance of talent and our team is not a... well, a team! We are not well drilled and the cogs in the machine currently don't all fit.

It takes time to get to that level, its not instantaneous.

What and 6 months of working with the players directly is enough?
Brendan Rodgers has 7 wins in 15 games as Leicester manager, Ole has 3 in 17?

Keefy18

I have been saying that the players aren't good enough for most of these six years. Nobody wanted to hear it when Mourinho was in charge. It's become de rigueur now, though.

As for those changes, Saints started getting on top in the first half, Solskjaer waited until the 68th minute before doing anything.
The flip side is, with good coaching and some structure we see an improvement.

What gives me confidence is seeing Ole address the RB & CB issues we had. He was also aware of James talents and giving us work rate and pace in our attack also. Three very good signings for years to come it seems based on early form.

R'hllor

I find mental that even after we sacked him, there is this agenda going around, calling out OGS for certain things, which is funny, because same shit was happening back then but didnt have same views as now.

Keefy18

Brendan Rodgers has 7 wins in 15 games as Leicester manager, Ole has 3 in 17?
Did / Does Rodgers have the same issues of squad rebuild?
Did he go to a club that had been poorly managed for years from the board and football appointments?

When Rodgers has to sell off half his senior squad then try compete, lets see how he does.

The-Natural

I tend to agree and the next manager, as has been said over and over again, will be crucial. They really need to do their research properly, DOF anyone. Otherwise we could be going round in circles for years more.
I'm not going to give up on Ole The Manager just yet but, yes, if we get to that stage where someone can possibly take what is a good team to the next level then it will have to be very clearly thought out.

I can see why people point to the LVG appointment and how posters back then also talked about him being a good transitional manager 'and look how that panned out' etc but LVG was undone, in my opinion, by the largely terrible signings he made in the market and his insistence on building the team around his chronically under perfoming captain.

Ole has had one window and brought in 3 good, hungry players and as I said earlier shows no hesitation in dropping those that aren't performing to standard. Just because the LVG transition was a false dawn doesn't mean this one has to be.

DomesticTadpole

I'm not going to give up on Ole The Manager just yet but, yes, if we get to that stage where someone can possibly take what is a good team to the next level then it will have to be very clearly thought out.

I can see why people point to the LVG appointment and how posters back then also talked about him being a good transitional manager 'and look how that panned out' etc but LVG was undone, in my opinion, by the largely terrible signings he made in the market and his insistence on building the team around his chronically under perfoming captain.

Ole has had one window and brought in 3 good, hungry players and as I said earlier shows no hesitation in dropping those that aren't performing to standard. Just because the LVG transition was a false dawn doesn't mean this one has to be.
I'm not giving up on him yet. I think he has been given a job to do and it will take a while, but there will need to be an improvement in league position eventually. If there isn't then he will be replaced.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Tbf that squad is unacceptable for Man Utd as well. Not seen a squad that bad in all my years as a Utd fan. Even when LvG gutted the squad players he at least had quality coming in to replace some of them.

Instead, Ole has had to sell the deadwood without getting adequate replacements for the vast majority, and that too while trying to fill in the holes of an already incomplete squad.

He's been massively dealt a bad hand, which no manager currently working would be able to deal with.
What we do not know is how much Ole is involved in the transfer process.
Obviously a significant amount of money has been spent as well as received.
But as you say there are still significant problems with the squad.
He has a massive job to do.

The-Natural

I'm not giving up on him yet. I think he has been given a job to do and it will take a while, but there will need to be an improvement in league position eventually. If there isn't then he will be replaced.
Don't get me wrong I wasn't suggesting that you had I suppose I was just saying that I'm not at the next manager conversation yet.

Godfather

Funnily enough from all our previous managers I'd take LvG to get us out of this mess. His football was the most boring stuff I can remember but he was very good with young guys and also taught our players how to use the ball and keep possession.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I agree with part of the criticism of Ole, but where do we go now? We've gone down every road:

- Premier League proven manager;
- Master strategist;
- Serial winner;
- Club legend.
This "logic" which is repeated again and again is amazing. Why buy players then? We had some bad buys. We shouldn't never again buy proven player. James from championship looks good, maybe we should keep buying only players from championship.

Yes, we must aim for best managers around. Like other big teams do. If one fails, we go for another. Simple as that.

Cathy Ferguson

You’re spot on in almost everything, especially the bold parts and like many others has mention our results in the PL since the game against Arsenal is chocking. There are no excuses.

Nobody cares if the manager makes a few mistakes her and there but when bad decisions are repeated over and over again then it’s hard to not overlook his involvements in our long run of bad results.

Continue to use a 2-man midfield including Pogba when even a blind can see that this isn’t working.

Repeatedly play Lingard and Pereira as starters when it’s clear as daylight that they are not good enough.

Selling Lukaku and send Sanchez on loan without any decent replacement. That’s criminal.

Selling Fellaini and lose Herrera on a free without any decent replacement. Stupid beyond belief.

Start the new season with McTominay as one of our core central player. No criticism against Scott but he isn’t experienced and talented enough to patrol our midfield with Pogba behind him. One attacking midfielder together with a natural b2b player to be up against 433 or 451 formations. Baffling and direct unintelligent.

Start the season with no clear game plan except press high up and relying on improved fitness. Lost for words.

I really like Ole Gunnar, we are both from similar culture backgrounds so I’m familiar with his approach but frankly he’s not god enough as manager at this level. He’s much more suited to be a DoF. Diplomatic and positive and not afraid to take bold decisions. Let him finish this season then make a change.
It would explain a lot if we only had 100m to spend and then Ole decided to fix the defence.

I would also prefer to play Pogba higher up the pitch but he does not seem to rate Fred.

Enigma_87

You know who
As I said to you a few days ago, if you all for scum clubs sacking managers after a few months go support one of them clubs.

I've asked you on my last comment and I'll ask again, what specifically is Ole to blame for?

You haven't a clue about football and how building a team works, that isn't an insult that is an absolute fact basing it off your own comments.

You seem to think that a manager comes in and magically fixes things and they become successful machines instantly. It doesn't work like that, there are extremely rare examples of it ever happening in the game.

Pep, the worlds best manager currently didn't rock up to City and be the team they currently are did they?
Klopp, likewise struggled for at least 18 months and both performances and results were mixed. They finished 8th (in his half season), 4th twice and then 2nd.
Even our own Ferguson took 4 years to build his team to his own standard / ideals.

The bold part is the biggest load of nonsense! How are his 3 signing's doing so far? Arguably AWB & James are our best players so far this season in the 4 games. Maguire has done well also and I was even against him signing due to his fee, but I'm impressed with his passing and slowly he's building up an understanding with Lindelof.
I think we have to disagree on pretty much everything mate. Also the understanding that you seem to be talking about has cost us 5 points in the last two games alone.

I think you didn’t even read half of the things I’ve already commented multiple times that I pointed what a better manager could improve and do. You seem to be too blinded with the supposed 5 years project whilst it’s pretty much clear to anyone that results will gradually become worse with this short squad.

I’ll let you believe that Ole hype and we can revisit those positives as the season advances.

I haven’t for once said that it will magically happen but keep plucking words out of thin air.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
This is not true though. Look a Pool and their squad and tell me how important a good manager is. Granted they have the best in business but it shows how much can be achieved if you have a manager with a clear plan and footballing philosophy. Ole has nothing.
There will always be outliers, any more examples? You'll find very few examples where top managers have won anything with average squads.

Besides the point Liverpool's squad is excellent and is a result of 3/4 years of quality recruitment (which is only partly due to Klopp). It's no comparison to what Klopp started with.

People on here were saying Jardim (Monaco) was the perfect manager for us a couple of years back, I don't see him mentioned any more. Strange that, Mbappe, Fabinho, Bernardo etc left and results go downhill.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah, this is how I see it. He should improve league position. No matter how the rebuild is, it shouldn't be at the cost of league position.

I have few doubts on his ability, I just hope he leaves in better position squad wise. I think he will set us in right direction when it comes to squad building but we will rely on someone else to take us to next level.

DomesticTadpole

Funnily enough from all our previous managers I'd take LvG to get us out of this mess. His football was the most boring stuff I can remember but he was very good with young guys and also taught our players how to use the ball and keep possession.
Funny how Herrera said he was the best coach he worked with. For all we all thought he would have had a problem with him, he obviously appreciated his coaching qualities.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
If winning the Europa League, finishing second with the vast majority of this current squad, buying Lukaku (our top scorer for the past 2 seasons) and Pogba (on his worst day our best player), bringing in Zlatan, buying Lidelof, is creating a mess then we as fans have a very warped and disturbing opinion of what a mess is.
I am not one to look backwards and in the end things had got to an untenable position and a change was necessary.
But it is correct to say that a significant number of fans blamed Jose for anything and everything.
All I ask for is fairness. Jose is a highly intelligent guy who knew that he was judged by instant results.
He tried to buy more experienced players who would make an instant impact.
Unfortunately it was a lost opportunity for both United and Jose.

K13

Wasn't through gritted teeth at all. I also said Martial would be a top player if he worked on his movement and work rate. Your posts hurt to read. The record since he became permanent manager is fecking atrocious and you are making up fantasies that we are dominating games.
Actually you laughed at anyone who said that Martial would be a top player. I got so annoyed with your negativity I blocked you for a week. Then Martial started to play really well and you actually came across as a really decent, well thought out poster.

rotherham_red

What we do not know is how much Ole is involved in the transfer process.
Obviously a significant amount of money has been spent as well as received.
But as you say there are still significant problems with the squad.
He has a massive job to do.
I just don't think it's particularly fair to compare Ole to Jose or even LvG. Both of those guys had been backed to the tune of a collective 700 odd million and didn't seem to be under much pressure, if any at all, to recoup costs.

Ole has had to let go of Herrera, arguably our most consistent and important midfielder, as well as Fellaini without a single midfielder in to replace either of them. He bought in Maguire and AWB who were definitely needed, but the most expensive of those acquisitions was predominantly paid for with the sale of Lukaku.

Compare that to Jose's first summer, or LvG's, where both spent upwards of £150m net. Ole's isn't even half that.

I'd hope Ole is involved in the process of sales, because if he is, he's been given assurances that his job is safe even if we don't get top 4. Because realistically, that squad is not fit for that particular purpose. You could legitimately look at Leicester's and say that their starting XI could beat us 5 times out of 10. Ole also said he wanted a striker to replace Lukaku and replacements for the other outgoings. Both have not been delivered.

No manager would be happy to go into the season with such a weak and shallow squad. To think that Ole would is quite frankly disrespectful.

This is not true though. Look a Pool and their squad and tell me how important a good manager is. Granted they have the best in business but it shows how much can be achieved if you have a manager with a clear plan and footballing philosophy. Ole has nothing.
I agree, LVG had a good plan the only thing that failed him was recruitment.

Godfather

There will always be outliers, any more examples? You'll find very few examples where top managers have won anything with average squads.

Besides the point Liverpool's squad is excellent and is a result of 3/4 years of quality recruitment (which is only partly due to Klopp). It's no comparison to what Klopp started with.

People on here were saying Jardim (Monaco) was the perfect manager for us a couple of years back, I don't see him mentioned any more. Strange that, Mbappe, Fabinho, Bernardo etc left and results go downhill.
Which proves my point that without the very best squad you at least need a very very good manager. And don't get me wrong our squad absolutely is a shambles and not United worthy. Doesn't change the fact that I don't see anything with Ole that gives me confidence. We lack any cohesion especially up front. You need the very best managers to win things especially if you can't compete squad wise.

OrcaFat

There’s a few things that keep getting repeated here as if they are fact:
We can’t get out of our own half.
We don’t create chances.
We play on the break against inferior opposition.

These statements are so clearly not true that I wonder what games these posters are watching. The top line stats alone disprove these fallacies.

The idea that anyone can conclude that Ole is “clueless” or “not up to it” based on the evidence so far amazes me. I suppose I should ignore those comments and just carry on enjoying watching the team. Shame about some of the results so far but the results will come, I’m sure.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Which proves my point that without the very best squad you at least need a very very good manager. And don't get me wrong our squad absolutely is a shambles and not United worthy. Doesn't change the fact that I don't see anything with Ole that gives me confidence. We lack any cohesion especially up front. You need the very best managers to win things especially if you can't compete squad wise.
But you haven't given any examples of top managers doing well with average squads? You haven't proved anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.