Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Not accurate, for me at least. Of all the managers we've had post SAF, Ole seems to be the only one brave enough to plan for the medium to long term.

Most of the sh*t has been moved on, the squad is young and they look hungry to me. I like what he's doing, it won't happen overnight but we're heading in the right direction for the first time in years.

Ole may not be the world's greatest manager, he may be a little nieve at times with his comments and decisions but he's the right man for United right now.
This guy gets it.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'll never get what the fans on this forum even want from Ole!
1. We have the best defensive record- least goals conceded and when you look at the underlying stats like xGA- we are the best there as well
2. We missed 2 pens- had we got them in, you can be certain we would have been 2nd right now. Add to that, we've been better than the opposition en every game. Apart from the Chelsea game, our xGA has always been less than 1!
3. Injuries- We've missed Martial for a couple of games now, were missing Pogba yesterday and despite that we managed to beat Leicester, who have been phenomenal under Rodgers- 3rd in the league since he came in
4. Age of squad-
(i) When considering the strongest and preferred XI of all the sides in the league, we have the youngest side. We play AWB, McTominay, Rashford, Martial and James in our starting XI- all of them 23 or younger. Chelsea have 4 players in this age bucket for reference.
(ii) Playing youth point is extremely silly as well. We are playing enough young players already and while I'd love to see Greenwood in our XI, our fans will start abusing him if he misses a chance or two, and I fully get why Ole hasn't played Greenwood as much as people expected. Before people say he should walk the talk and play youngsters like Lampard is, Abraham is 21, Mount is 20, Pulisic is 20 (and Tomori- who may not be a regular feature in the Chelsea side- is 18). Greenwood is 17! Abraham's and Mount's minutes need to be compared against those of Rashford and McTominay or AWB not Greenwood who is in his rookie season

Steve 007

I can’t see how anyone really thinks it’s time to change manager or that we had a terrible transfer window.

We knew our defence was disgraceful last season every time the opposition had the ball I felt they could score. I no longer feel that way. We have, in one window sorted our back line (it’s not perfect but vastly improved).

We also got rid of a lot of players who either didn’t cut it or had a poor attitude.

If we went out and had the same improvement in player to our midfield and attack over the next 3 windows I’d be over the moon.

Ole might not cut it but we know the squad needs work, give him a proper go of it. Top 4 was always our max this year and currently we are there.

Caliban

How many transfer windows would redcaf need to remove the deadwood on this site? :) ..

- -

If Ole thought more about himself, and not so much about the club. He would for his own sake brought in Dybala who would come here for the money as a mercenary and destroy the weight budget at the club even more and probably also Gareth Bale (like the transfer policy has been after SAF) - if he thought only about himself. Mourinho f.ex would probably do just that.

The fact that Ole is thinking more about what would be best for United (in the long run), can eventually be his own doom .. (if redcaf was the tipping point, which luckily it is not)

Sell your soul more, buy a new home or find back home - you fans need to decide on that

JustAGuest

Not accurate, for me at least. Of all the managers we've had post SAF, Ole seems to be the only one brave enough to plan for the medium to long term.

Most of the sh*t has been moved on, the squad is young and they look hungry to me. I like what he's doing, it won't happen overnight but we're heading in the right direction for the first time in years.

Ole may not be the world's greatest manager, he may be a little nieve at times with his comments and decisions but he's the right man for United right now.
It takes a sacrifice in immediate results to go for the long term approach, which I think Ole has taken. In this aspect he is a good fit for the club at this time.

RooneyLegend

I think that's where all of you who want Solskjaer sacked already will be wrong. The days of the quick fix you want are over, it's not top 4 or bust. I don't think even Woodward is daft enough to think £70m net is enough to guarantee top 4.
There's a huge financial penalty for not finishing top 4 and we all know that matters to Woody. To make it into the top 4 you basically have to beat out Arsenal with a Luiz led defence and Lampards kindergarten. No doubt Woody will see it as a failure if we dont make it.

No one wants a quick fix, what we do want however is someone who knows what they are doing. I said in another thread that we are 3 years from competing but the starting point of that 3 years will be the day we have the right man in charge. The longer we faff about with the wrong man in charge that starting point hasn't begun.

rotherham_red

Tammy and Mason have league experience which will have been vital in their development. We have always laughed at Chelsea and their loaning of players, but because of their ban it could now be paying off. Where our kids have been stuck in the academy leagues playing against other kids. Apart from Henderson, we have been loaning out kids we are not very sure about and keeping the ones that are supposedly the next best thing. Maybe it is the latter who should have been out learning their trade. Yet people want them to be thrown in and will moan when Mason Greenwood isn't banging the goals in at senior level, or James Garner struggles a bit in midfield. I am sure Ole will give some of them a chance in the EL and cups, but people will have to be patient and not expect too much too soon.
Unfortunately that isn't going to happen with the ingrates on here. Just look at what they say about Rashford, who is someone who has patently done so much for the club already and tries his arse off every game. For reference, Tammy Abraham is a few months older and is only now getting his break after looking out of his depth at Swansea a couple of seasons earlier.

Thankfully the fans at the ground can see what Rashford does and know that he's still starting out in his career. It's all about short term pain for long term gain.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Unfortunately that isn't going to happen with the ingrates on here. Just look at what they say about Rashford, who is someone who has patently done so much for the club already and tries his arse off every game. For reference, Tammy Abraham is a few months older and is only now getting his break after looking out of his depth at Swansea a couple of seasons earlier.

Thankfully the fans at the ground can see what Rashford does and know that he's still starting out in his career. It's all about short term pain for long term gain.
They were talking about Tammy on Talksport this morning and his time at Swansea. Paul Lambert was playing a possession game that didn't suit him at all. Sometimes it is just playing the right style for that player and bingo.

RooneyLegend

Pretty much everything except our set pieces and ability to score penalties.

I mean it's actually possible to like and get behind this team because you can see the effort they put into games. Although some people just seen bafflingly determined not to get behind them
Effort without quality doesn't win titles.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
There's a huge financial penalty for not finishing top 4 and we all know that matters to Woody. To make it into the top 4 you basically have to beat out Arsenal with a Luiz led defence and Lampards kindergarten. No doubt Woody will see it as a failure if we dont make it.

No one wants a quick fix, what we do want however is someone who knows what they are doing. I said in another thread that we are 3 years from competing but the starting point of that 3 years will be the day we have the right man in charge. The longer we faff about with the wrong man in charge that starting point hasn't begun.
There is a huge financial penalty from sacking another manager, starting from scratch again and gambling that that guy is the one that will magically get everything right while working under the same constraints everyone else has failed.

JustAGuest

I'll never get what the fans on this forum even want from Ole!
1. We have the best defensive record- least goals conceded and when you look at the underlying stats like xGA- we are the best there as well
2. We missed 2 pens- had we got them in, you can be certain we would have been 2nd right now. Add to that, we've been better than the opposition en every game. Apart from the Chelsea game, our xGA has always been less than 1!
3. Injuries- We've missed Martial for a couple of games now, were missing Pogba yesterday and despite that we managed to beat Leicester, who have been phenomenal under Rodgers- 3rd in the league since he came in
4. Age of squad-
(i) When considering the strongest and preferred XI of all the sides in the league, we have the youngest side. We play AWB, McTominay, Rashford, Martial and James in our starting XI- all of them 23 or younger. Chelsea have 4 players in this age bucket for reference.
(ii) Playing youth point is extremely silly as well. We are playing enough young players already and while I'd love to see Greenwood in our XI, our fans will start abusing him if he misses a chance or two, and I fully get why Ole hasn't played Greenwood as much as people expected. Before people say he should walk the talk and play youngsters like Lampard is, Abraham is 21, Mount is 20, Pulisic is 20 (and Tomori- who may not be a regular feature in the Chelsea side- is 18). Greenwood is 17! Abraham's and Mount's minutes need to be compared against those of Rashford and McTominay or AWB not Greenwood who is in his rookie season
It's clear that those who claim there are no positives have their own agenda. I think the main concern is our attacking output, it leaves more to be desired, but at the same time we probably have the 4th-6th best attacking lineup in the league, so the expectations should be kept in line with this.

RooneyLegend

There is a huge financial penalty from sacking another manager, starting from scratch again and gambling that that guy is the one that will magically get everything right while working under the same constraints everyone else has failed.
What constraints are these? a huge budget? those constraints are nowhere near what happens when you dig yourself a hole by having the wrong person in charge.

DomesticTadpole

We've gone through a window where our manager didnt even feel theres a need to get in that quality.
I think he was just saying the right things to not rock the boat. He said he wanted a striker if Lukaku went. It wasn't his fault it took us so long to sell. He would have wanted a midfielder and I bet he now realises that the likes of Matic are not up to the task for a team he want to play at a faster pace.

RooneyLegend

This squad isn't going to win the title this year regardless of who the manager is.

What exactly are you expecting?
A manager who recognises that and goes into the market to find those players. Some of you lot need to stop acting like our managers dont contribute to our squad.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
All of that is wrong. Delusional.

We don’t look like a decent team, no real pattern to our play as we don’t have a decent manager. We don’t have a style of play, our squad is worse than last season with an atrocious transfer window where we have got weaker overall leaving our midfield & attack so weak & lack of quality it’s disgraceful
You use the word delusional to describe someone else then proceed to go on some kind of rant that sounds like something a drunk Newcastle fan would say on a radio phone in just after they've lost 5-0 to Brighton.

The problem with people like you is when we win a few in a row, because you've been so dead set on telling everyone we're failing, you'll have nothing at all to say. Then as soon as we have a bad result you'll pipe up again. Like the opposite of the Van Gaal cult.

There is nothing wrong with actually supporting this team. They are working harder. We clearly do have a style of play. Ole is the first manager in four we've had with a long term plan rather than a short term one (or in the case of Moyes just not having one at all). I think people should try supporting this team. If it gets near Christmas and we're in 11th and playing like shite, your moaning might not sound so ridiculous.

rotherham_red

Something for all the bed wetters and mouth breathers to consider when they say "hE dOeSnT pLaY tHe YoOf"

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The man in charge believes that Rashford will be a key part to us getting to the top to an extent where we've ended up paying him 250 a week.
We also pay Martial similar... I wonder if the common denominator is Ole or the club. That being said I am not saying he isn't wrong on Rashford, however he specifically said he wanted another attacker if Lukaku goes. It is clear he wanted to add more quality so your comment about him not wanting to is complete nonsense.

Rafaeldagold

If you want to be deluded & think we have a style of play then go for it. Passing to James & hoping while counter attacking doesn’t count.

Ask yourself this question- Is Ole the best manager we could have got?

No.

So why are we settling? Why are you happy that we’re settling?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
For those who say we have style, what is it? It's like a half committed press, where we'd rather the opposing team keep the ball to aid in countering them; but we're not actually that good at playing on the counter. And there's the fact that we're incapable of breaking teams down who sit behind the ball.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I thought the aggressiveness in tackling was brilliant, not a lot of teams get to the ball first and make it throughly uncomfortable to play for a team like Leicester who thrive on doing exactly that.

Cassidy

Something for all the bed wetters and mouth breathers to consider when they say "hE dOeSnT pLaY tHe YoOf"

They didn't play because they had quality players in front of them... It is a silly tweet
Yes we know it is preferable to play young players in a good team structure. However it doesn't make sense to play inferior players (if they indeed are inferior) ahead of someone due to age

noodlehair

"It's like..."
A manager who recognises that and goes into the market to find those players. Some of you lot need to stop acting like our managers dont contribute to our squad.
He signed 3 players who all look pretty good, and made it fairly clear there were other targets but that he didn't want the wrong players or players that didn't want to be here.

Again what exactly are you expecting? You're just moaning about nothing.

rotherham_red

They didn't play because they had quality players in front of them... It is a silly tweet
No, it's not. Is there any other team who plays 17-20 year olds regularly? Ajax did so with their current batch and they wrote off any chance of success for the best part of 4 years before they won the title. When we're in the current predicament we're in, with not just 4 or 5 teams ahead of us, but a group of 3-4 who are legitimately on our coattails then I'm sorry but throwing in untried kids into must win games is the very definition of stupid.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Isn't he part of the reason our starting 11 was so awful?
Two different arguments though, im giving him credit for the in game management of getting 3 points with an awful lineup. Im far from convinced by Ole, somthing i touched on, and you seem to of ignored, in the very post your replying to.

Treble

Yes we know it is preferable to play young players in a good team structure. However it doesn't make sense to play inferior players (if they indeed are inferior) ahead of someone due to age
Very true.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
If you want to be deluded & think we have a style of play then go for it. Passing to James & hoping while counter attacking doesn’t count.

Ask yourself this question- Is Ole the best manager we could have got?

No.

So why are we settling? Why are you happy that we’re settling?
Who would you have got? Pochettino?

Spurs have about 10 less points than us since Ole took over, and Pochettino has better players to pick from than Ole does and has had 4 years to build a team there.

I doubt you'd be happy with him if you're so disgusted by how we're doing under Ole. Although the stupidest thing is that even if we had him and were doing worse, you probably would be on here claiming things were going well.

DomesticTadpole

I took the tweets as saying that. We had a strong team so it was hard for them to get in. He got rid of Hughes, Ince and Kanchelskis to pave the way for them. However they were still coming into a very strong team. Like the lad at Barcelona. We need to strengthen this team even more and then bring those kids in.

Keefy18

Tammy and Mason have league experience which will have been vital in their development. We have always laughed at Chelsea and their loaning of players, but because of their ban it could now be paying off. Where our kids have been stuck in the academy leagues playing against other kids.
Fantastic post and I made similar point on facebook yesterday about this topic.

Yourself and @anant are spot on, Chelsea's young players in Abraham & Mount are well ahead of our bunch sadly. It's an absolute fact for anyone caring to make the slightest bit of investigation on it.

Both Abraham & Mount are on season 3 of their full pro careers vs 3 senior apps for both Chong & Gomes.

It's apples and oranges really when you think about Mount who played in Holland as well even if it is a weaker quality league.

Apart from Henderson, we have been loaning out kids we are not very sure about and keeping the ones that are supposedly the next best thing. Maybe it is the latter who should have been out learning their trade. Yet people want them to be thrown in and will moan when Mason Greenwood isn't banging the goals in at senior level, or James Garner struggles a bit in midfield. I am sure Ole will give some of them a chance in the EL and cups, but people will have to be patient and not expect too much too soon.
Don't forget Axel ;)

You can see how much that loan benefited him as well being at Villa. The difference in him physically over that one season is insane. That's before we consider maturity and football knowledge.

Cassidy

No, it's not. Is there any other team who plays 17-20 year olds regularly? Ajax did so with their current batch and they wrote off any chance of success for the best part of 4 years before they won the title. When we're in the current predicament we're in, with not just 4 or 5 teams ahead of us, but a group of 3-4 who are legitimately on our coattails then I'm sorry but throwing in untried kids into must win games is the very definition of stupid.
Yes but they won the title... if we are thinking longer term, seeing if they are any better or at least on par with the current failing players (Mata Lingard Pereira) makes sense.

I don't think anyone is just advocating for just playing them, but if the players who are playing are failing then they should be getting a look in if they are indeed talented

Even if it is from the bench, Gomes in particular should be getting a look in given what ahead of him

DomesticTadpole

Fantastic post and I made similar point on facebook yesterday about this topic.

Yourself and @anant are spot on, Chelsea's young players in Abraham & Mount are well ahead of our bunch sadly. It's an absolute fact for anyone caring to make the slightest bit of investigation on it.

Both Abraham & Mount are on season 3 of their full pro careers vs 3 senior apps for both Chong & Gomes.

It's apples and oranges really when you think about Mount who played in Holland as well even if it is a weaker quality league.

Don't forget Axel ;)

You can see how much that loan benefited him as well being at Villa. The difference in him physically over that one season is insane. That's before we consider maturity and football knowledge.
I keep forgetting about Axel and his loan at Villa. :(

Gomes

How is paying two world record sums for proven Premier League players an achievement?

Status
Not open for further replies.