Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

owlo

The squad is threadbare in both quantity and quality, Ole is forced to rely on Matic & Mata (among other less than useful players), just like any other manager who stepped in to replace him would also have to rely on them.
Forced? It's a situation he engineered and created.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I was never convinced we should hire him and giving him the contract when we did was stupid. It's not his fault the squad is poor, Woodward should have gone a long time ago, but it also doesn't mean he is right for the job. I don't know what you do at this point though, sacking him won't change anything. Playing youngsters is nice but they have to be good enough ultimately.q
If the tweets above are right about him sanctioning the sale of Lukaku and loan of Sanchez without replacements is right, then Ole has to take the blame. He was very naive if he thought this squad would come to much.

RepardReece

Is it though? Or is it Woodwards? Was it Mourinhos fault we didnt sign a centerback last summer? We can't see the same shit happen year after year and ignore that the only constant every summer the Woodward. Maguire was signed 1 year too late. Whatever midfielder or attacker we sign next January or summer will have been signed 1 year too late. That's not the managers fault, that's Woodward playing catch up every year to fix past mistakes.
Yeah but the thing is Mourinho had already bought 2 CB's, hence why Woodward was reluctant to buy a third last year. And Mourinho's downfall was going to happen regardless of whether or not we got Maguire. Yes, it is happening too late, but Mourinho can't ask for CB's year on year when the previous targets didn't work out.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Alegri could be an option. Do think the problems run much higher than Ole though, however having a manager who is tactically out of his depth also doesnt help.
Yeah, the problems extend beyond the manager without a shadow of a doubt. Woodward is a dithering idiot who is clearly out of his depth in the DoF role he has appointed himself, and above him we have a bunch leeches eating the club alive.

To be honest, feck football.

fergiesarmy1

If the tweets above are right about him sanctioning the sale of Lukaku and loan of Sanchez without replacements is right, then Ole has to take the blame. He was very naive if he thought this squad would come to much.
They weren’t - how does anyone not see we were trying at the end to bring in someone

:houllier:

el3mel

I'm copying Simon Stones from BBC and you're copying Sun. That says it all I guess. :lol:

Yeah what's in that to prove Stones wrong ?

Manchester United are increasingly unlikely to bring in a replacement for the Inter Milan-bound Romelu Lukaku before Thursday’s 5pm deadline after cooling their interest in Mario Mandzukic.
We cooled the interest. Guess whose decision was that? :rolleyes: Here's the answer from Telegraph article :

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, the United manager, has been insistent that he only wants players who are the right fit and is said to be comfortable with the prospect of going into the new season with Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial, Alexis Sanchez and 17-year-old Mason Greenwood as his principal strikers.
The problem is you don't want to admit the truth. Ole is as responsible for this market as Woodward.

red4ever 79

The two players that the club knew in advance would be leaving (Herrera and Lukaku) should have been replaced. That's the bottom line. Inexcusable and outrageous not to do so.

red4ever 79

Yeah, the problems extend beyond the manager without a shadow of a doubt. Woodward is a dithering idiot who is clearly out of his depth in the DoF role he has appointed himself, and above him we have a bunch leeches eating the club alive.

To be honest, feck football.
Agree, at least Fifa 20 is out this week and I cant wait to get my hands on this Utd team!

owlo

Fellaini too. It was his decision to decide that Pereira was anything close to a 1st team player. (perhaps @FootyGirl88 spammed/bribed him, or Ed told him he wasn't getting a replacement if he dumped Fellaini, but it was his call.

fergiesarmy1

I'm copying Simon Stones from BBC and you're copying Sun. That says it all I guess. :lol:

Yeah what's in that to prove Stones wrong ?

We cooled the interest. Guess whose decision was that? :rolleyes: Here's the answer from Telegraph article :

The problem is you don't want to admit the truth. Ole is as responsible for this market as Woodward.
I will never ever ever agree a manager wanted to hamper his own chances.

The only way you could convince me is if Ole was sat in front of me and said with free will I was happy for man united to play 60-70 games this season with 2 first team strikers who aren’t that great plus a rookie.

NJM78

We were abysmal the start of last season and had 13 points by second international break. We currently have 8 points with the potential of 14 by then. Ole not shitting on this poor squad and kicking up a fuss to the board in the summer window has hardly improved player morale. Apparently Jose being grumpy and shitting on the players last season made us play so poorly.

Excuses are running out for me. It’s a results business and unfortunately his have been terrible since becoming a permanent manager. We should be doing better even with the squad we have. Arsenal game next is massive, we won’t keep them from scoring so we will have to out score them. I don’t see that happening.

DomesticTadpole

They weren’t - how does anyone not see we were trying at the end to bring in someone

:houllier:
It has been a shit show all round. If they knew he wanted them out, just get rid as soon as possible. Then you have plenty of time to get someone in. That's not the United Way now though is it?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The two players that the club knew in advance would be leaving (Herrera and Lukaku) should have been replaced. That's the bottom line. Inexcusable and outrageous not to do so.
Agree. Even if we didn't sign a CF to replace Lukaku it could have been a RW/RF instead but he absolutely needed replacing as did Herrera and also Matic.

fergiesarmy1

Well I’m sure we can all agree Ole wanted to keep Herrera at least.

red4ever 79

Fellaini too. It was his decision to decide that Pereira was anything close to a 1st team player. (perhaps @FootyGirl88 spammed/bribed him, or Ed told him he wasn't getting a replacement if he dumped Fellaini, but it was his call.
I recall in the summer he was asked twice on the preseason tour about replacing players. His first answer when asked how he planned to replace Herrera was a strange one - he replied something like he already has McTom and Perriera who both offer different qualities that if you combine into one you get a similar player as Herrera.

The second time he was asked about Lukaku leaving and how he would handle that. He for sure said something like we have to replace anyone who leaves.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
He’s not good enough. But, bringing in a different manager at this point isn’t going to fix anything. We need a DOF ASAP and then let them be involved in the process of replacing Ole. Otherwise we’re stuck with somebody else who is going to butt heads with Woodward and we’ll be stuck with another set of players bought by one manager and not wanted by the current one.

El Zoido

The issue I have is that Ole is somehow to blame for the board not signing players? :houllier: Like everyone makes a million excuses for the Glazers and Woodward yet it’s Ole’s fault we didn’t sign a Lukaku replacement even though he demanded one. Apparently Ole keeps the books too. What isn’t Ole to blame for at the club?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I have absolutely no belief in Ole and his coaches to change things mid game. If the starting tactics don’t work, we are fecked!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Lukaku and Sanchez would not improve this squad one iota though. It's Woodwards fault for not bringing in adequate replacements in the summer.
It didn't look like Solskjaer wanted anything in attack. He clearly rates Martial and Rashford far more than they deserve credit for. He chose to allow these guys to go without a replacement. That's on him. The idea that Lukaku doesn't improve the squad is just daft. For all of his faults he still contributed 19 goals last season which has effectively been unreplaced.

Terminator

Not signing replacements for Lukaku and Herrera is unbelievable. Don't know who to blame for this one, it's a clusterfeck of the highest order.

owlo

Pereira is nowhere near good enough.
Everybody but OGS knows it.

I recall in the summer he was asked twice on the preseason tour about replacing players. His first answer when asked how he planned to replace Herrera was a strange one - he replied something like he already has McTom and Perriera who both offer different qualities that if you combine into one you get a similar player as Herrera.

The second time he was asked about Lukaku leaving and how he would handle that. He for sure said something like we have to replace anyone who leaves.
I rate McTom quite a bit, think he'll grow to be a good player. Still criminal to rely on him for the 1st team along with a bunch of kids.

About Lukaku, he was alienating him from late last season. There was no way back after OGS treated him, and both knew he wouldn't play for us again. The narrative that he wanted him replaced is wrong. He wanted him gone regardless. Same as Fellaini.

Litch

Knew it wasn't going to be easy but I expected for different reasons. I thought we would see more young players starting and that's why we let some go and I expected that we would have a clear style of play even if we didn't have the players to execute it.

It's funny cause I believe we are worse than ever if that was possibly. Pogs will go in the summer and I suspect he doesn't rate Fred either. I think we need a LB as questionable whether Shaw is good enough. We could have yet another season where we need 5-6 players. Realistically that's another 400m if we can bring them here. Can't see the board sanctioning that spend so we are going to fall further behind.....

Seij

Ole, Phelan, Carrick, and Woodward all need to go. I was never really excited about Phelan returning as I felt the team started playing noticeably worse when he took over from Quieroz. Carrick has never proven anything as a coach and has to take some responsibility for the team's dire state during Mourinho's last season (which is when he became the coach) and now with Ole as the manager. Speaking of Ole, no PL top 10 clubs would've let him keep his job with the form we've been in since his appointment as the permanent manager.

Woodward is among the worst DOF's in the history of football but unfortunately the only people who can fire him don't give a sh*t and he won't let go of his power unless he just gets very bored.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Fully agree with you. Like I said I dont mind seeing Utd lose matches if we saw improvement in the playing style and direction on the field. Unfortunately I see no improvement. He has even reverted to relying on Matic and Mata despite everyone knowing they are done at this level. So far this season we have lost to Crystal Palace, Southampton and West Ham already
That is the thing. We haven't even played anybody yet.
Just listening to 5live. The only thing worse than United today is the arch idiot Robbie Savage saying that Ole is the right man for Man utd.
As soon as I heard him say that I switched off immediately.
Sky has Jose Mourinho and Roy Keane and the BBC has that half wit.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's still just about 50-50 whether we're on a "Journey" over a few years where OGS will slowly get it right, window by window, or whether we're just a hopeless case going nowhere.

I really couldn't tell you.
I'm inclined to still believe in the former, as we have Pogba, Martial and Shaw to come back in.
If that lineup we ended with today was our actual best line up, we'd do well to come top 10 - without any hyperbole whatsoever.

Wolff

What do you want him to say? Yeah I wanted 10 players but that git Woody only got me 3? Let's get him 2 more players in at Xmas and see where that takes us. But I wouldn't bet on him getting till Xmas. Arsenal and Liverpool on the horizon, not looking good for Ole.
But he is dead right though. About the passing and taking easy options. Also there is not enough movement, but that is what you get with that team though. First game I think was a step back this season. But you get those games, and a few teams had them this weekend.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ole, Phelan, Carrick, and Woodward all need to go. I was never really excited about Phelan returning as I felt the team started playing noticeably worse when he took over from Quieroz. Carrick has never proven anything as a coach and has to take some responsibility for the team's dire state under Mourinho's last season (which is when he became the coach) and now with Ole as the manager. Speaking of Ole, no PL top 10 clubs would've let him keep his job with the form we've been in since his appointment as the permanent manager.

Woodward is among the worst DOF's in the history of football but unfortunately the only people who can fire him don't give a sh*t and he won't let go of his power unless he just gets very bored.

Sometimes you wonder if the Glazers hear, or care about the actual results, or just see the financials.

I mean, they must do surely? Surely?

DomesticTadpole

That is the thing. We haven't even played anybody yet.
Just listening to 5live. The only thing worse than United today is the arch idiot Robbie Savage saying that Ole is the right man for Man utd.J
As soon as I heard him say that I switched off immediately.
Sky has Jose Mourinho and Roy Keane and the BBC has that half wit.
I was going to post that. Staggering stuff.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Ole, Phelan, Carrick, and Woodward all need to go. I was never really excited about Phelan returning as I felt the team started playing noticeably worse when he took over from Quieroz. Carrick has never proven anything as a coach and has to take some responsibility for the team's dire state under Mourinho's last season (which is when he became the coach) and now with Ole as the manager. Speaking of Ole, no PL top 10 clubs would've let him keep his job with the form we've been in since his appointment as the permanent manager.

Totally agree. Very sensible post.

Nr.7

I’ll always like Ole, but it seems he’s treating this like an Football manager game but he doesn’t have a save/load option.

Status
Not open for further replies.