Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueHaze

It's really alarming seing so many fans on here taking this so lightly and brushing it off as nothing. I sure do love how the word "rebuild" has been used over a million times in this thread alone. If we lose today we are 3 points away from relegation and yet many just close their eyes.

Make no mistake about it if this horrendous form continues bottom of the table is where we belong. We have a bunch of difficult games coming up including Liverpool in 2 weeks I think. I don't know what the feck Ole and his team is doing during training either but injuries have become even worse since he's arrived. Ole needs to start winning games again or he'll be gone by November.

NWRed

I'm not sure why you needed to get rude. I just asked for a link because I had no idea you were talking about Klopp's record over an arbitrary amount of games.

So you're comparing Ole's record to SAF's entire United career but only Klopp's first 37 games at Liverpool? Interesting.

Edit: To be fair, I didn't follow the entire debate you had with the other guy.
Sorry but I'm getting really pissed off with people posting crap then not taking the time the read (or try to understand) the reply. I thought you were one of them, if not then I apologise.

Klopps win % at Liverpool is currently 58.4%, I used SAF as a bench mark for obvious reasons and Klopps first 37 games as evidence that managers need time to get things right.

romufc

It's really alarming seing so many fans on here taking this so lightly and brushing it off as nothing. I sure do love how the word "rebuild" has been used over a million times in this thread alone. If we lose today we are 3 points away from relegation and yet many just close their eyes.

Make no mistake about it if this horrendous form continues bottom of the table is where we belong. We have a bunch of difficult games coming up including Liverpool in 2 weeks I think. I don't know what the feck Ole and his team is doing during training either but injuries have become even worse since he's arrived. Ole needs to start winning games again or he'll be gone by November.
Thank you. I don't think people actually know the importance of this game. If we lose this game, our next few fixtures are not easy either.

We go away in the Europa before going away to Newcastle (we have great form after a European game under Ole)

Then Liverpool, Partizan, Norwich, Chelsea (cup)

Out of those, how many are winnable? Tbh I would take a defeat at chelsea in the cup, no point going for the league cup with the squad we have.

MisterLupus

I'm not suddenly limiting to the squad in its present state; that was my intention all along, which is why I mentioned managing a squad rather than the football club itself. I should have made that more clear so apologies for the confusion.

But yeah, something like this this is bizarre and shows a complete disrespect for Pep's far superior tactical nous and man management skills:

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they were being hyperbolic but what's the point in the context of a debate about how good our manager is.

That said, I can find plenty of posts to that effect, so I'm sure some of them believe that a Pep or a Klopp (or a Sir Alex) literally couldn't get better results than Ole with this current United squad. Which is quite clearly absurd and suggests that Ole's just as good as them once you take transfers out of the equation.
Ah... Well I misunderstood you - sorry about that. Well it is speculative either way - but I'm stuck somewhere in the middle here I feel. I don't think of Solskjaer as an experienced manager but one of talent and potential - he's not a finished product by far - and I do agree that both Klopp and Pep would probably be able to do better even under these circumstances. I'm far from certain Pochettino would though - I'm not all that hyped about him. But also - Pep and Klopp are pretty much the pinnacle of coaching these days so it's a bit unfair comparing Solskjaer to the likes of them - you have to consider Ole pretty much the same way you judge a newly promoted academy player. Will he stumble around and make a mess of it from time to time? I'd be surprised and in awe if he didn't - especially under these circumstances. But is he a worthwhile investment anyways?

I feel he's done enough so far to at least be given the benefit of doubt - and also presented himself in a manner reinforcing my conviction. His commitment is obvious - and he clearly has a brain on him and as far as football is concerned he's lived it pretty much his entire life having learnt from the very best so he knows the game and what it takes to make it. Results since he got appointed permanently aren't telling the whole story here - he's done a lot of things right as well nobody can deny him that - and given time to evolve this project I'm convinced results too will improve. Also - even though we might not have suffered as badly with someone more experienced - I still believe this transition would be painful nonetheless. He might flop - I can't tell the future I do have my reservations - my whole point is simply that it's still way premature to dismiss him and that he's already proven he's not some clueless amateur.

Christmas 2020 is the limit of my patience with him - but only if I see improvements throughout this season. I expect a top-six finish by the end of May making a proper bid for the top four even - that is realistic especially if we get some offensive reinforcements in January - and for us to be solidified within the top four December next year. If we manage that I believe he can get us back challenging in the top again during the 21/22 season.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Was just browsing through the net and I came across a guy called Tony Barton.He was appointed caretaker manager of Aston Villa in 1981 when the club was struggling and he guided them to safety that season.In the next season he won the European cup for Villa....
That is doing some good job. Most times it all goes wrong. Thanks for that.:)

MisterLupus

I genuinely think most neutrals see our play since PSG as closer to Moyes than any other manager. What's weird is we actually sometimes look even worse and this is after his hyped pre season.

Again I have no issue with a transition and I'd not complain about results if we actually played well, but an inability to build sustained attacks against Rochdale, Palace, Astana, West Ham, Southampton with 10 men, Wolves... Its just beggars belief. There isn't performance improvement there at all. The players genuinely look confused when they enter the oppositions final 3rd.

At least with Mourinho I knew what they were doing, eg going direct straight to a target man.. Or with LVG I knew they were relying on moving the ball rather than the player too much, increasing frequency until the opposition lost focus.

Now with those managers whether I agreed or disagreed with the style I can accept that there was a plan and a focus on how to attack. With Ole I'm genuinely confused. What do they work on in training outside of fitness? Are they even pressing like he says they would? Who starts at 10? Who starts right wing? Is Pogba really deeper going forward now? Feck knows. Sometimes yeah and then other times never. It's bizzare and not really quality related.
I'm going to quote someone here (for the third time today) whom I think made a great in-depth post addressing some of your concerns - one I agree with and one backed by actual statistics as well:

Personally, i'm at the point of fecking off from everything related to online discussions about football. This will be my post number 1992, if you do a quick, but low, estimate and say that each post takes 5 mins, we're talking a minimum of 166 hours, which is clearly not healthy in any perspective whatsoever.

Unfortunately there's not much room for intelligent debates with a bit of perspective, hoping for the majority to notice that everything isn't black and white is apparantly a bit too much to hope for. There's too many, and lets be somewhat blunt here, complete idiots presenting absurd theories as facts without even getting the basics right. So you can't even register what we're doing on the pitch, but you do have all the answers for that the club should do next, mint, join the lot of taxi drivers wo have all the answers to Brexit and everything related to immigration. You'll have people who claim we aren't pressing high, that teams are happy to allow us to have the ball, that we're only a counter attacking side, that we don't actually play as a team and that all the goals we've scored so far this season are down to individuals, grass is always greener on the other side. There's the moaning about how it's going to be difficult to find a decent manager as anyone coming in will have to accept not being backed.

I mean, really ? Last time i checked, we've invested over £850mill in transfer fees alone since Fergie retired, spread over 4 managers, and our squad still resembles swiss cheese in terms of holes...Every one of them has been given full autonomy, to the point where we still have a solid core of players from Fergies days while the managers have mostly been replacing the players that the previous manager brought in..But yeah, we're most certainly not backing them, great logic there. At times, reading some of the shit that gets posted here reminds me of the Clayton Bigsby sketch by Chappelle.

In terms of the style we're trying to play, naive or not, good enough manager to get it working or not, it's still pretty damn obvious what we're trying to do on the pitch. We generally stick with a high defensive line where we try to win the ball back high up the pitch with close distance to the oppositions goal so we can take advantage of players out of position. We want defenders that are comfortable on the ball, both in terms of getting forward with it and being able to stay calm and pass our way out of trouble if the opposition presses us high up the pitch. Our goal against Crystal Palace is a pretty decent example, win the ball back high up the pitch and play quick one touch passes. Crystal Palace isn't in balance whatsoever, when James gets the ball inside their box we have as many attackers inside the box as they have defenders (3), with passing alternatives as well because they haven't had time to get back in position, their entire right hand side was completely exposed. Essentially it's the result of two things, we stand high up the pitch and when we lose the ball we immediately try to win it back by collective pressure instead of falling off to form a tight defense. Obviously it has it's risk, easily visible for Crystal Palace's second goal. For the vast majority of the match against Leicester we were high up the pitch, essentially giving them no passing options go forward to the point where they just kept giving the ball away without getting close to the midfield. The majority of this is visible in stats, how high up the pitch we stand, how much we press and how much we sprint, but people still argue against it and pretend we're doing something else. Weird. Do we struggle against compact teams ? Sure as hell, but we're still trying to form triangles out wide where the player with the ball should always have two passing options close by, where we try to outnumber them wide in order to force them to move another player out of position. Great success so far ? Nah, but that's hardly expected either, we're just getting started and we've been without two key players for too many matches, we'll be without 3 given Rashfords injury, expecting a squad that was already thin with attacking options to instantly cope with that is just absurd. Playing against teams that defend deep is one of the most challenging aspects of modern football, i'm hardly surprised that we haven't unlocked that bit yet, for a long period it was an easy tactic for teams in the league to stiffle Liverpool under Klopp by simply staying deep and compact, allowing Liverpool to dominate the ball without being a threat. It took Klopp a long time to get the right players, balance their playing style in order to last the full season and adapt to different type of oppositions. By all means, it's highly unlikely that Ole will ever get us that far, but people are comparing present day Liverpool with what we're doing and completely ignore that it took Liverpool a long long time to get there, and during that time plenty of fans in here took the piss out of how Klopp was never going to achieve anything with Liverpool.

Ref the structure of the club and the overall situation we're in, it's another black and white scenario that i don't fully understand. Again, since Fergie retired we've given every manager full autonomy to improve the squad, we've spent over £850mill on transfer fees, wages have been increased a lot. The notion that it's our current owners (and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon) holding us back has certainly nothing to do with the amount of money we spend both on transfer fees and wages ( a lot ). That they are refusing to change how the club functions, that Woodward is blocking things because he wants to hold all the power, stooges etc, seems to be very naive given the money involved here. As if it's some divine plan to spend absolute mental fees on transfers and increase our wage bill to the 4th highest in football with about feck all to show for it, but apparently all they think about is the dividends :lol: People need to take into account that the club has operated in certain ways for a very long time. Fergie needed, and had, full autonomy at the club, we then gave the job to a similar type of manager in Moyes, someone who refuses to give the go to sign a player unless he's had ample time to scout the player himself, then to Van Gaal who has no issues with allowing someone else to make decisions on player signings, happy that the club had already done extensive scouting on Shaw and Herrera, then over to a manager that needs full autonomy, and then some, in Mourinho. I mean, it's hardly a surprise that things haven't progressed in terms of how the club operates when we've generally viewed finding the right manager as the solution to a bigger problem, and the majority of them have had the same stern view on having full control. Things take time. Lets not forget the amount of people in here who took the piss out of Liverpools transfer committee when Rodgers was around...

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...utd-sporting-director-ed-woodward-van-der-sar

We need to be realistic and accept that there will be plenty of downs and a few ups. The first 11 isn't bad, but there isn't much depth at the moment and we desperately need our key players to stay fit. Given the uncertainty surrounding Tottenham and Chelsea, it's hardly impossible to finish in the top 4 and hopefully build on that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm going to quote someone here (for the third time today) whom I think made a great in-depth post addressing some of your concerns - one I agree with and one backed by actual statistics as well:
Yeah I read that. He literally spends the first half of his post complaining about other posters. Then a chunk about our defenders needing to have a high line and comfortable on the ball (note this is a consistency across all top 6 teams and generally a preferable given, not a tactical nouonce).

His point about triangles is absolute shite. You can see we have no actual cutting passes and no players taking on the opposition. You can see our XG and heat maps. We have no pattern of play. Anyone can come out and say "yeah but we are trying to form triangles". Like feck we are.

BlueHaze

Thank you. I don't think people actually know the importance of this game. If we lose this game, our next few fixtures are not easy either.

We go away in the Europa before going away to Newcastle (we have great form after a European game under Ole)

Then Liverpool, Partizan, Norwich, Chelsea (cup)

Out of those, how many are winnable? Tbh I would take a defeat at chelsea in the cup, no point going for the league cup with the squad we have.
I said it all along our squad is thinner than my hair. Few injuries and we would be fecked and look what happened. It was criminal thinking heading into the season with this squad was going to be okay. Absolute zero creativity from the middle, attack is doing feck all and we still look weak at the back. Naive fans are going to be in for a rude awakening this year. The only hope I have is that maybe if Ole drags us down to hell perhaps the Glazers would sod off and we could get an owner who would actually take things seriously unlike these clowns. But the thing is even a change in ownership doesn't guarantee the new owners would be better either.

The club has some serious issues. The only ones I feel for are match going fans who have to put up with this shit show in person for those ridiculous ticket prices. They all need to get refunded.

MisterLupus

Yeah I read that. He literally spends the first half of his post complaining about other posters. Then a chunk about our defenders needing to have a high line and comfortable on the ball (note this is a consistency across all top 6 teams and generally a preferable given, not a tactical nouonce).

His point about triangles is absolute shite. You can see we have no actual cutting passes and no players taking on the opposition. You can see our XG and heat maps. We have no pattern of play. Anyone can come out and say "yeah but we are trying to form triangles". Like feck we are.
Well he's not wrong though some of the negative posts here are way over the top in their criticism and basing their assessments on absolute rubbish - speculative at best. And yeah it may be consistent across all top 6 teams (I dunno I don't have time to watch every other team in the league play) but it's certainly not what we were doing prior to Ole stepping up so to this team that's new. And I've seen plenty of triangles since Ole came in - and also both cutting passes as well as players taking on the opposition (successfully so even). You're really seeing none of that? I must be hallucinating then - my doctor warned me this might happen as I grow older.

And since you bring in xG... So far this season we're placed seventh in xG (expected goals scored) and first in xGA (expected goals against) - making us the third best team in xPTS (expected points). Last season we were third in xG and eighth in terms of xGA - making us fourth best in terms of xPTS (and a lot of this was down to Ole btw looking those stats while Mourinho was still in charge is depressing). So pretty much exactly what you'd expect given our transfer window - our defense has improved enough for us to advance one position compensating for the fact that our attack is struggling bigtime compared to the previous campaign. I'm not a huge fan of xG btw - I'm just saying that going by that we've improved since last season and would probably be topping the list if we didn't have to rely on Rashford and Lingard as our main contributors up front.

So I'm not sure what your point is here to be honest or if you even have one - but I doubt we'll end up agreeing unfortunately.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well he's not wrong though some of the negative posts here are way over the top in their criticism and basing their assessments on absolute rubbish - speculative at best. And yeah it may be consistent across all top 6 teams (I dunno I don't have time to watch every other team in the league play) but it's certainly not what we were doing prior to Ole stepping up so to this team that's new.
Yes, but that's not something revolutionary or material from how we attack. Sure its a fine enough starting point but it's all we have after 11 months.

And I've seen plenty of triangles since Ole came in - and also both cutting passes as well as players taking on the opposition (successfully so even). You're really seeing none of that? I must be hallucinating then - my doctor warned me this might happen as I grow older.
Honestly mate, there's been feck all cutting edge. If we were cutting through with our passing like you claimed, we'd actually look likely to beat Palace and the rest, rather than losing or scraping by one goal. The proof is in the pudding.

And since you bring in xG... So far this season we're placed seventh in xG (expected goals scored) and first in xGA (expected goals against) - making us the third best team in xPTS (expected points). Last season we were third in xG and eighth in terms of xGA - making us fourth best in terms of xPTS (and a lot of this was down to Ole btw looking those stats while Mourinho was still in charge is depressing).
Interesting, so I say we don't look coached going forward, and you counter that by saying our xG moved from 3rd last season to 7th this season.

So pretty much exactly what you'd expect given our transfer window - our defense has improved enough for us to advance one position compensating for the fact that our attack is struggling bigtime compared to the previous campaign. I'm not a huge fan of xG btw - I'm just saying that going by that we've improved since last season and would probably be topping the list if we didn't have to rely on Rashford and Lingard as our main contributors up front.

So I'm not sure what your point is here to be honest or if you even have one - but I doubt we'll end up agreeing unfortunately.
Not really. We moved to 7th in expected goals for, and we have players who should be capable of creating better than that. I agree xG is contraversial, but you don't seem to listen to the view that we are looking lost going forward.

Don't get me wrong I agree that we need time and Ole has to have more time than he's been given. I just don't see how he's turning us around. I'm not saying sack Ole, I'm just thinking it's very bleak for him.

Godfather

That evidence being 3 very successful signings, clearing out a significant amount of dead wood, overseeing a significant academy recruitment push, changing the clubs focus on signings to younger talented players who want to be here, and sticking to it by refusing to sign players just after a payday, trying to change the way we play with a squad build to play in exactly the opposite manner, and all this while still having a record in his first 37 games better than Klopps first 37 at Liverpool (54% win % vs 46% win %, only 5% off SAF United career win % btw).
Ok Gary how about we compare Ole's stats with Klopp's since he became permanent manager? Or the start of both of their first full seasons? Or the actual football that is played?

Or the fact that because of the clear out our squad is down to it's bare bones as we didn't get in replacements for those that left? Or because he thought Martial and Rashford would be enough options up front and now we have to rely on a 17 year old and a guy that came from the Championship to score our goals?

Or the fact that we look as disjointed and clueless as ever? Or the fact that Ole's in game management and substitutions make zero sense more often than not?

There's really not much to believe he will ever turn out a Klopp mk II or even a half decent manager.

romufc

The club has some serious issues. The only ones I feel for are match going fans who have to put up with this shit show in person for those ridiculous ticket prices. They all need to get refunded.
Agreed, the problems at this club are bigger than the manager. The whole system is flawed IMO and I hope Adidas do not renew and we do not get big sponsorship deals. You should only be rewarded for good work, at the moment, No one at the club gives a sheet about football and fans.

Not even Ole, if he did he would give it to us straight. We keep getting fed lies and stories as if fans are kids.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Wonder if anybody knows if a caretaker manager becoming permanent has worked at any of the top clubs? I am sure there is somebody our there who can find out.
I don't know about that but I can give you a recent example that didn't work. At all. Take it for what it is. Craig Shakespeare for us right after Ranieri was sacked (February 2017).

Ranieri rightly noticed that the opponents now played a much deeper defensive line against us to negate our counter-attacking style and unsuccessfully tried to replace it by a more possession based football. The problem was that most of the players, lacked the technical ability to do follow his new ideas. He also tried to change too much, too fast. As a result, the team was in disarray, we were going down and Claudio got the boot.

Craig the assistant manager, was then appointed as caretaker, then manager for the season. He was loved by the players, the fans and did a great job as a coach. Purple patch or manager bounce whatever you call it, we beat Pool 3-1 in his first game and went on four wins in a row. He even got us to the CL quarter-final where we lost against Atletico Madrid. We finished 12th that season, which wasn't bad all things considered. All of that only by reverting to the good old Leicester style which got us the title and getting the players on board. No tinkering, no tactical masterstroke, he just let the players do their thing. He was then appointed as permanent manager at the end of the season, although some doubted his tactical abilities and his lack of managing experience.

The next season proved the doubters right, we went on a terrible run with 1 win in 8 games, playing a horrendous football. Craig was completely out of his depth, there were no distinctive patterns, no style, no organization. The subs came often too late and were baffling most of the time. The players couldn't string three passes together, and we resorted to a miserable "hoof and hope that Mahrez or Vardy can make something out of nothing".

Shakespeare was sacked on the 17th october 2017, after 4 months in charge as permanent manager and replaced by Puel. We were 18th at that time and relegation candidates.

Last edited:

MisterLupus

Yes, but that's not something revolutionary or material from how we attack. Sure its a fine enough starting point but it's all we have after 11 months.

Honestly mate, there's been feck all cutting edge. If we were cutting through with our passing like you claimed, we'd actually look likely to beat Palace and the rest, rather than losing or scraping by one goal. The proof is in the pudding.

Interesting, so I say we don't look coached going forward, and you counter that by saying our xG moved from 3rd last season to 7th this season.

Not really. We moved to 7th in expected goals for, and we have players who should be capable of creating better than that. I agree xG is contraversial, but you don't seem to listen to the view that we are looking lost going forward.

Don't get me wrong I agree that we need time and Ole has to have more time than he's been given. I just don't see how he's turning us around. I'm not saying sack Ole, I'm just thinking it's very bleak for him.
I've never disagreed that we're toothless on the offense - in fact I've stated over and over that my biggest grief with this project so far was us not getting a proper midfielder and striker to make up for Herrera and Lukaku leaving (love him or leave him and I prefer the latter but second only to Pogba Lukaku was our main contributor last season). That being said - it's not as bad as what you're making it out to be when you claim there's nothing at all to get excited over. I definitely have seen both triangles, successful one-on-ones (quite a few actually we have a lot of pace and skills in this squad) and also good passes. What I've also seen though are players not being able to put the ball into the net - not even when it's wide open almost harder to miss than to hit - and also missing crucial penalties. Our play and the chances we've created warrants a higher position for sure - at least four points - we've just been unlucky. it's not as horrible as you're making it out to be - I would have to start distrusting both my eyes and actual statistics to agree with you on that - even though we were sharper up front last season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I've never disagreed that we're toothless on the offense - in fact I've stated over and over that my biggest grief with this project so far was us not getting a proper midfielder and striker to make up for Herrera and Lukaku leaving (love him or leave him and I prefer the latter but second only to Pogba Lukaku was our main contributor last season). That being said - it's not as bad as what you're making it out to be when you claim there's nothing at all to get excited over. I definitely have seen both triangles, successful one-on-ones (quite a few actually we have a lot of pace and skills in this squad) and also good passes. What I've also seen though are players not being able to put the ball into the net - not even when it's wide open almost harder to miss than to hit - and also missing crucial penalties. Our play and the chances we've created warrants a higher position for sure - at least four points - we've just been unlucky. it's not as horrible as you're making it out to be - I would have to start distrusting both my eyes and actual statistics to agree with you on that - even though we were sharper up front last season.
The bold points are a bit contradicting. I think we are where we deserved to be. Chelsea could have gone either way, Wolves we didn't do much, Leicester we didn't do much, Palace we didn't do much, West Ham we probably could have drawn but ultimately didn't do much.

red thru&thru

Agreed, the problems at this club are bigger than the manager. The whole system is flawed IMO and I hope Adidas do not renew and we do not get big sponsorship deals. You should only be rewarded for good work, at the moment, No one at the club gives a sheet about football and fans.

Not even Ole, if he did he would give it to us straight. We keep getting fed lies and stories as if fans are kids.
I agree with most of this.

But in terms of Ole, you can't expect him to do much more than he is, in as a PR front. Before I continue, I', not saying Ole is the man for us, I actually don't think he is. But I'd rather listen to his positive spin, than the negativity of Jose. If Jose had issues with the board, he should have come out and said it. But instead, he was thinking about his bank balance.

But anyway, previous managers have all come out and basically said that Ed is the issue. The club is a business first and foremost and they can't manage such a club. Even after all this, fans will still continue to blame the mangers and not the owners.

In any other business, if a company fails so badly, so consistently, he'd be out of a job.

ash_86

Seems like Ole has seen the error of his ways in claiming our striking options were good enough - shame it's cost us our season isn't it. Dembele was available for a reasonable fee this summer, a proactive management team would have asked for him to bolster our striking options. Bruno Fernandes, likewise. That would have been your striker and creative player signed for a combination of around £120m.

Now are these two world-class? No. Would they have been upgrades on the squad? Definitely. Would they have contributed goals? 100%.

What would they cost in January? Closer to £200m. Brilliant.

Two signings isn't going to be enough anyway.

We need a striker, a creative player (to replace Pogba in the summer, not as an additional player), a RW, a CDM and another CM. That's what we need to compete next summer, not accounting for other issues such as maybe Shaw regressing even further meaning we might need a LB.

So that's 5 signings needed to compete. Our squad issues are - as someone else brilliantly said - like 'Whack a Mole'. We solve one issue and two more pop up ready for the next summer transfer window. This dates right the way back to when SAF was in charge, though. If we'd sensibly started replacing Rio, Vidic, Evra, Scholes, Rooney etc as they were visibly declining we wouldnt have been left with a log-jam of transfers needed and perhaps we wouldn't have thrown money away on players who weren't suitable. We could have spent each summer focusing entirely on two major, crucial signings (for example - 'this summer our focus is replacing Scholes and Rio with world class players) instead of needing a manager to sign 4-5 players in a mild panic.
Don't think that was the case. I remember Aulas shutting this down quite early last window

"Moussa Dembele will not leave,” he told French publication Le Parisien.

“The model was made for him. We recruited according to him.

“He becomes centre number one, which he was not totally last season.

“It is not a question of money, it is a question of ambition.“

“Moussa is part of the project just like Juninho or others,” he added.

“We want him to succeed and to reach the France team from his club which is Lyon.

“We have a great deal of confidence in its capabilities and potential.”

But i do agree that we needed to get someone else in if not Dembele. That's totally on Ed and the board.

Mainoldo

Don't think that was the case. I remember Aulas shutting this down quite early last window

But i do agree that we needed to get someone else in if not Dembele. That's totally on Ed and the board.
No it’s not. It’s on Solskjaer as he made the call to bring no-one in. Unless Ed and the board just by players without telling the manager.

romufc

I agree with most of this.

But in terms of Ole, you can't expect him to do much more than he is, in as a PR front. Before I continue, I', not saying Ole is the man for us, I actually don't think he is. But I'd rather listen to his positive spin, than the negativity of Jose. If Jose had issues with the board, he should have come out and said it. But instead, he was thinking about his bank balance.

But anyway, previous managers have all come out and basically said that Ed is the issue. The club is a business first and foremost and they can't manage such a club. Even after all this, fans will still continue to blame the mangers and not the owners.

In any other business, if a company fails so badly, so consistently, he'd be out of a job.
As in I don't blame Ole because he is in is dream job and wants to genuinely do well. But that does not ignore that he came out and said he is happy and he wants to give them a chance. He could easily have decided in August that due to lack of bodies we can't send Alexis on loan?

Ed is a major issue and even the fans know this, you don't reward a CEO with pay rises after failing.

ash_86

No it’s not. It’s on Solskjaer as he made the call to bring no-one in. Unless Ed and the board just by players without telling the manager.
If that was the case and our board allowed our manager to go with 1 crocked striker and a 17yr old academy graduate as only strikers into a 50+ game season, it talks more about our board than the manager.

red thru&thru

As in I don't blame Ole because he is in is dream job and wants to genuinely do well. But that does not ignore that he came out and said he is happy and he wants to give them a chance. He could easily have decided in August that due to lack of bodies we can't send Alexis on loan?

Ed is a major issue and even the fans know this, you don't reward a CEO with pay rises after failing.
I feel Ole really thought what he had done in preseason would have our boys fit and ready for the season. But it just hasn't transpired that way, hence all the injuries.

But going back to Sanchez, I just believe he needed to go. There was just too much baggage with him. It clearly effected team morale and Ole just needed to get rid.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If that was the case and our board allowed our manager to go with 1 crocked striker and a 17yr old academy graduate as only strikers into a 50+ game season, it talks more about our board than the manager.
The board do not make footballing decisions.

In any case I believe Ole obviously would have wanted reinforcements, but ultimately was happy to wait and not panic buy e.g someone like Mandzukic

ash_86

In any case I believe Ole obviously would have wanted reinforcements, but ultimately was happy to wait and not panic buy e.g someone like Mandzukic
Someone above Ole had to make/agree to these decisions right? Any competent club with a good dof would have advised him that the team would be in trouble if our only striker got injured. Our's probably would have grinned at the fact that Ole's saving them money and would have agreed.

MisterLupus

The bold points are a bit contradicting. I think we are where we deserved to be. Chelsea could have gone either way, Wolves we didn't do much, Leicester we didn't do much, Palace we didn't do much, West Ham we probably could have drawn but ultimately didn't do much.
Not contradictory - just nuanced. Both positives and negatives can co-exist - in fact that's usually how it is in life. Nothing's perfect - nothing's absolute rubbish either. It's what the poster I quoted rants about - people's ability to only see things in black and white (it's either fecking awesome or completely dogshite rarely anything in between and usually taken out of context / lacking perspective). Overall our offense is bad but it's not as hopeless as many claims (nor as non-existent as you made it out to be). And there are actual stats backing my own impressions too - so it's not just something I've conjured up. But like I said I'm not a huge fan of referring to xG - according to that though our play should have warranted us enough points for third spot so far this season - with one match to go (though it remains to be seen if the Arsenal game will have a positive impact in that particular department :lol:).

Roboc7

It just shows how badly the club is run, not strengthening in midfield and attack over the summer was just odd and difficult to explain. It now seems like ‘no value’ has been replaced with ‘waiting for the right player’.

Mainoldo

Mate if the board was competent he wouldn’t have been here this summer.

Mainoldo

It just shows how badly the club is run, not strengthening in midfield and attack over the summer was just odd and difficult to explain. It now seems like ‘no value’ has been replaced with ‘waiting for the right player’.
Yep!!! They’ll be no value in January too. Words like difficult market etc etc.

hobbers

If the "rebuild" is manifesting itself as us failing to score goals, losing every away game, averaging 1 point per game, playing atrocious football, players dropping like flies with injuries, not being solid at the back even with £140m of talent injected in, then it isn't a rebuild. End of.

Ole has maybe a handful of matches to turn this slump around or he's done.

romufc

I feel Ole really thought what he had done in preseason would have our boys fit and ready for the season. But it just hasn't transpired that way, hence all the injuries.

But going back to Sanchez, I just believe he needed to go. There was just too much baggage with him. It clearly effected team morale and Ole just needed to get rid.
Yeah, I thought Ole thought he done enough to get a good start confidence flowing, as we have seen with Ole he prefers to use the same players, as soon as injuries kick in, the 2nd team is not geared to cope with his demands.

That's the point I am trying to get to, he is quoted to have said Lukaku didnt want to be here, so he must have known that before they went into pre season and knew he wanted to get rid of Alexis. Why not have targets ready in case he went? Instead we were having targets ready in case Pogba left?

mancave bear

Ole is doing great job transforming our team, cleaning up 6 years of mess. I am so happy that he has the guts to wait until the reight players are available. Even with the restricted funding he had, its better to go for quality ower quantity.

The owners are to blame for our poor results, which is inevitable this season. They should have given him funds to buy 6 new players as soon as the window opend, and then sold the excess players afterwards. No other manager would have done the job any better.

Reactions: Niall

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!

Isn't that's what he's looking to do in January? https://theathletic.com/1250906/2019/09/30/exclusive-united-to-go-back-in-for-mandzukic/

Have a read yourself. This is just weeks after he told us Lukaku and Sanchez won't be missed because Rashford and Martial are ready to step up and he doesn't want a new striker to impede Greenwoods' development.

How we are making decisions as a football club is terrifying, absolutely no consistency whatsoever. Talk big about shedding deadwood and rebuild then hand out fresh deals to Jones, Young, Mata and Pereria with Lingard in the pipeline.

We are actually 9th at the moment. Another caveat when it comes to xG is that it automatically adds 0.79 for awarded penalty (regardless of its conversion). Given we've had 4 already this season, so our figures are inflated on that front. We are ranked 18th in the table when it comes to xG from open play which shouldn't come as a surprise because we create absolutely feck all.

Look at this table, it's laughable.

Last edited:

ash_86

Mate if the board was competent he wouldn’t have been here this summer.
That's why i'd been advocating to focus our energy on the board than the manager. I have zero hope they will get the next appointment right.

Mainoldo

That's why i'd been advocating to focus our energy on the board than the manager. I have zero hope they will get the next appointment right.
Makes no sense though. I’d rather live with the probability they will get it wrong again than having hope an incompetent manger getting it right. I mean there track record is LVG and Mourinho. Ole’s track record is Molde. This is the worse appointment since Moyes and yet again it was a SAF appointment.

ash_86

Makes no sense though. I’d rather live with the probability they will get it wrong again than having hope an incompetent manger getting it right. I mean there track record is LVG and Mourinho. Ole’s track record is Molde. This is the worse appointment since Moyes and yet again it was a SAF appointment.
Well, a competent DOF could come and get rid of Ole if he's indeed found incompetent. Win-Win

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not contradictory - just nuanced. Both positives and negatives can co-exist - in fact that's usually how it is in life. Nothing's perfect - nothing's absolute rubbish either. It's what the poster I quoted rants about - people's ability to only see things in black and white (it's either fecking awesome or completely dogshite rarely anything in between and usually taken out of context / lacking perspective). Overall our offense is bad but it's not as hopeless as many claims (nor as non-existent as you made it out to be). And there are actual stats backing my own impressions too - so it's not just something I've conjured up. But like I said I'm not a huge fan of referring to xG - according to that though our play should have warranted us enough points for third spot so far this season - with one match to go (though it remains to be seen if the Arsenal game will have a positive impact in that particular department :lol:).
So thanks to @Kush, we are actually way more shite at xg as you suggested. First we would be 9th not 7th and second it's inflated due to the 4 pens.

And its not black/white but the points you made are certainly mutually exclusive. If we had cutting edge to our play we wouldn't be toothless. Our chance creation is far behind what it should be, and no level of poster optimism will change that. We've all seen the games for ourselves. I've literally named every league game we have underperformed in to you and the only reply is something about us having a high line.

Mainoldo

Well, a competent DOF could come and get rid of Ole if he's indeed found incompetent. Win-Win
Why wait. Just do the inevitable. We hope we get a good DOF. It could be Rio or Fletcher and then it’s just the same crap just more incompetent people involved :lol:

ash_86

Why wait. Just do the inevitable. We hope we get a good DOF. It could be Rio or Fletcher and then it’s just the same crap just more incompetent people involved :lol:
Quite true. I don't even have confidence in these guys getting the DOF right if there was ever one :( . Only way i see us coming back up would be if Woodward resigned.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Isn't that's what he's looking to do in January? https://theathletic.com/1250906/2019/09/30/exclusive-united-to-go-back-in-for-mandzukic/

Have a read yourself. This is just weeks after he told us Lukaku and Sanchez won't be missed because Rashford and Martial are ready to step up and he doesn't want a new striker to impede Greenwoods' development.

We are actually 9th at the moment. Another caveat when it comes to xG is that it automatically adds 0.79 for awarded penalty (regardless of its conversion). Given we've had 4 already this season, so our figures are inflated on that front. We are ranked 18th in the table when it comes to xG from open play which shouldn't come as a surprise because we create absolutely feck all.
That is extremely worrying. And agreed on Mandzukic. We were clearly involved for him in the summer and we will be in Jan. It doesn't tally up with any of Ole's plan.

That said, I'd take him here because we need goals from somewhere!

AFC NimbleThumb

Couldn't agree more. It was clear those were going to be the first names gone as far back as May or April even. And you will recall Ole talking about planning for next season, looking at new players as if he were going to be manager. Then he gets the appointment and a full summer + advance time to decide who to replace with. I'd be sympathetic if he didn't have an interim period to see what the squad was like. Him or the coaching staff.
The man Archer speaking to my soul.

The fall of a cliff in regards to form was eased by the notion he ‘knew’ what we needed & had identified the options.

I was fully on the bandwagon until watching the Milan pre-season game. This guy had the gaul to play Andreas on the RW & tell us he is happy with the squad.

He gave Mata, a good player but someone not suited to his ‘tactics’ a multi year, player friendly contract.

If this is his idea of a well laid plan then he deserves the sack.

Status
Not open for further replies.