Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revaulx

So yes I'm clearly in denial - we're really suffering immensly from our ruined reputation - it's our broken honor that's the problem for sure I see it so clearly now. I was too focused on the actual pudding - I should have looked inside your skull instead as that's where the proof lays hidden :lol:
Oh great. This sort of tone was beloved by the Jose cultists.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The point is United has the funds to afford to get those kind of players. It's not that we are skint. We can get top class managers too. If we have top class managers top class players will come.
I mentioned it before -- we wont be getting CL money next season. Out finance will take at least a 50+m hit. If we were a PLC then it would matter less but the shareholders do not expect to take that it next year in terms of theor share value. So Woodward will impose a smallish budget on Ole and at the same time reduce the wage bill. Simples. With our anticipated reduced revenues, we cut costs to ensure that our financial performances are at least very solid.

Some fans are living in fantasy land if we think we have unlimited funds. The Scousers made well over 120-140million from the CL last season and yet they spent next to nothing over the summer.

As to top class managers -- who do you think LVG and Jose were? Mugs? Jose was considered a top 2 manager in the world (alongside Pep) until he came to United -- and see how well he did?

The issue isn't the manager. The problem lies in the club culture, organisational challenges, legacy players etc. Ole is a convenient scapegoat after being there for less than a few months.

MisterLupus

Oh great. This sort of tone was beloved by the Jose cultists.
I'm a simple man - with me you'll reap what you sow no more no less. I could of course be polite and on point when faced with some numbwit arguing points I've never made rather than addressing what I actually said and then finishing up by attempting to psychoanalyze me - but where's the fun in that? If someone invites me into the mud I'll gladly accept - I don't mind getting dirty it's great entertainment.

For now - maybe but if we continue being shit for another 5 years and it looks like we will, it will change very quickly. New generation of players will dream of playing for City instead, not 6th best team.

I don’t agree that “We are still the biggest football club on the face of this planet as far as popularity and finances are concerned”. At least 2 Spanish teams have more fans than us, and our finances are not improving much in the past few years, at least not at the rate of some other teams. It’s about time we actually become good at football because being a laughing stock for years doesn’t help at all in these areas.

We always seem to be planning long term and it’s just holding us back. You cant plan long term with clearly wrong type of managers. If Ole is seriously in our long term rebuilding plan, God help us. Most successful teams in the past 20 years have been the ones who change managers every 2-3 years. All managers at every club must do with the squad they have except our fans, the only ones in the world have some weird thinking that we can’t judge the manager until he buys his 20 players. Madness. All of that just to shield clearly failing managers from any sort of blame.
Well we are whether you agree to it or not. Numbers don't lie - we're still more popular and also stronger financially than anyone else all leagues included even if the gap isn't quite what it was. As for the most successful clubs the last twenty years being the ones changing managers every 2-3 years - that too is just wrong there's no clear pattern to this. Carlo Ancelotti and Sir Alex Ferguson are the two most successful managers during the modern era - both staying at their posts for way longer than your suggested two-three years - and I'll even throw Guardiola into the mix as well because he too was in charge for longer than that. Zidane is closing in on his third season and judging by the current state of Real Madrid I doubt he'll get fired after this one...

Your conclusions just doesn't relate to the real world - sorry mate - in fact you're dealing in so many absolutes here it's hard taking you serious. And your dismissal of Solskjaer too along with our chances to get back up where we belong is something I find to be very premature. I would agree that if every objection you just made was relevant to reality - then indeed your conclusions too would be valid. That is not the case though - you're building your bias on too many false premises for me to agree I'm afraid :)

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

Well its positive. They are at least aware of the need for a striker. I was worried he genuinely rated Rashford and Martial as sufficient for goals.
There were twitter rumors of Dembele of Lyon and Mcginn. These two would be a very good addition.

Seems like Ole has seen the error of his ways in claiming our striking options were good enough - shame it's cost us our season isn't it. Dembele was available for a reasonable fee this summer, a proactive management team would have asked for him to bolster our striking options. Bruno Fernandes, likewise. That would have been your striker and creative player signed for a combination of around £120m.

Now are these two world-class? No. Would they have been upgrades on the squad? Definitely. Would they have contributed goals? 100%.

What would they cost in January? Closer to £200m. Brilliant.

Two signings isn't going to be enough anyway.

We need a striker, a creative player (to replace Pogba in the summer, not as an additional player), a RW, a CDM and another CM. That's what we need to compete next summer, not accounting for other issues such as maybe Shaw regressing even further meaning we might need a LB.

So that's 5 signings needed to compete. Our squad issues are - as someone else brilliantly said - like 'Whack a Mole'. We solve one issue and two more pop up ready for the next summer transfer window. This dates right the way back to when SAF was in charge, though. If we'd sensibly started replacing Rio, Vidic, Evra, Scholes, Rooney etc as they were visibly declining we wouldnt have been left with a log-jam of transfers needed and perhaps we wouldn't have thrown money away on players who weren't suitable. We could have spent each summer focusing entirely on two major, crucial signings (for example - 'this summer our focus is replacing Scholes and Rio with world class players) instead of needing a manager to sign 4-5 players in a mild panic.

Seems like Ole has seen the error of his ways in claiming our striking options were good enough - shame it's cost us our season isn't it. Dembele was available for a reasonable fee this summer, a proactive management team would have asked for him to bolster our striking options. Bruno Fernandes, likewise. That would have been your striker and creative player signed for a combination of around £120m.

Now are these two world-class? No. Would they have been upgrades on the squad? Definitely. Would they have contributed goals? 100%.

What would they cost in January? Closer to £200m. Brilliant.

Two signings isn't going to be enough anyway.

We need a striker, a creative player (to replace Pogba in the summer, not as an additional player), a RW, a CDM and another CM. That's what we need to compete next summer, not accounting for other issues such as maybe Shaw regressing even further meaning we might need a LB.

So that's 5 signings needed to compete. Our squad issues are - as someone else brilliantly said - like 'Whack a Mole'. We solve one issue and two more pop up ready for the next summer transfer window. This dates right the way back to when SAF was in charge, though. If we'd sensibly started replacing Rio, Vidic, Evra, Scholes, Rooney etc as they were visibly declining we wouldnt have been left with a log-jam of transfers needed and perhaps we wouldn't have thrown money away on players who weren't suitable. We could have spent each summer focusing entirely on two major, crucial signings (for example - 'this summer our focus is replacing Scholes and Rio with world class players) instead of needing a manager to sign 4-5 players in a mild panic.
Well said, and Woodward has the cheek to tell us we had successful window :rolleyes:

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Love it, you put that colossal idiot in his place :lol:

Now it's suddenly not fair when we ask people to back up their big talk. If you feel that you can judge someone on their job, but can't even begin to propose an alternative outside of "hurr durr, we need a new manager" and you ignore all the context within which the said manager is working in, then perhaps you just wait and see what happens?

You put anyone in charge of this squad, they really aren't going to do much better. When you look at us position by position, the only two positions we have depth in is GK and CB. Seriously, what do you expect?
But regardless of this, it strikes me that you still seem to be of the opinion that the dunce we have in charge is not just the right man for the job but a manager with real discernible skill and potential.

Scotty McT

But regardless of this, it strikes me that you still seem to be of the opinion that the dunce we have in charge is not just the right man for the job but a manager with real discernible skill and potential.
This sudden idea that nobody can do a better job of managing a football squad than Ole Gunnar Solskjaer that has infected the minds of certain segments of our fan base is most bemusing indeed.

Do they think it applied to Cardiff as well? What about Molde?

NWRed

Insulting another member
Where exactly does an armchair fan like you get the idea you have the slightest clue what is going on behind the scenes to rebuild the club.

What the feck has happened to our fan base over the last 6 years, or were morons like you always there but kept your gobs shut.

I, by the way, am convinced Ole is doing a good job and if given the time and opportunity to rebuild the clubs structure and the squad will make us competitive again.

Godfather

Where exactly does an armchair fan like you get the idea you have the slightest clue what is going on behind the scenes to rebuild the club.

What the feck has happened to our fan base over the last 6 years, or were morons like you always there but kept your gobs shut.

I, by the way, am convinced Ole is doing a good job and if given the time and opportunity to rebuild the clubs structure and the squad will make us competitive again.
Good to see he still has a lot of believers among our fanbase. Despite every evidence that the job he is doing isn't good at all.

MisterLupus

This sudden idea that nobody can do a better job of managing a football squad than Ole Gunnar Solskjaer that has infected the minds of certain segments of our fan base is most bemusing indeed.
Who's making that argument? I've seen people make the case that our main concerns aren't related to management and that any rebuild would take time no matter who we put in charge - and also arguing as to why dismissing him at this point is premature - but I have yet to see anyone claiming him to be the best manager there is. Did you just make that up?

Scotty McT

If the league started from when Ole took over we'd be sitting in 13th. We have no away wins since February and 6 wins in the last 20 games in all competitions, including wins against Rochdale and Astana of Kazakhstan.

How is he doing a good job?

Who's making that argument? I've seen people make the case that our main concerns aren't related to management and that any rebuild would take time no matter who we put in charge - and also arguing as to why dismissing him at this point is premature - but I have yet to see anyone claiming him to be the best manager there is. Did you just make that up?
I've seen numerous people on this website that claim that no one can do better than Ole has done with this squad. I'll be sure to PM you when I see the next person say it. One of the posters above said no one would do much better with the squad, so it's not a stretch to believe that there have been people say no one would do better

MisterLupus

Good to see he still has a lot of believers among our fanbase. Despite every evidence that the job he is doing isn't good at all.
Not at all? He's not done anything right - at all? I'm going to quote myself again here:

The negativity, revisionism and lack of objectivity on this forum is ridiculous. If you can't see any development since Solskjaer took charge then quite frankly either your eyes or your brains - probably both even - are betraying you.

The players who left are players everyone agreed last year needed to go - so Ole's done that right at least. The players brought in have all proved great improvements so far - so that part too is covered he obviously knows what kind of players we need. Mentality and morale has definitely improved within the squad - the players we have now at least try their best (even if their best may be inadequate for a top-side) and looks emotionally invested in what they're doing something I've not seen for years (with a few honorable exceptions of course). Passing and movement have definitely improved and we're attempting to create chances playing attractive football rather than relying on the opposition making a mess of themselves so that too is a positive. We're focusing on youth again and building for the long term - for the first time in ages - which is delightful to observe and also our defense is looking solid again - another step in the right direction.

Also Ole is drawing the right conclusions whenever we do mess up - so apparently he's not in the dark as to which areas needs strengthening.

Our lack of results is down to things that cannot be instantly fixed - and hence must be endured. At least two of the games we lost points from this season were games where our dominance warranted three points - so yeah bad luck but luck usually evens out over time so even though it's bitter I'm not particularly worried about it. Our squad is probably the thinnest and least experienced in the league and we really should have had two more seasoned midfielders and a top-class attacker to replace those who left - in the final third we're something of a mess (though still improved from last year where we were absolutely abysmal in that area) and our attackers are far from being clinical enough - but is that down to Ole? I doubt it - he said he wanted five signings during the summer and even identified the weak areas of our team correctly - yet he only got three (of which one was an unproven youngster even) - so something tells me this was more down to either lack of available talent or the board not acknowledging how urgent it was replacing those who left (Lukaku and Herrera in particular).

And like I said we're a young and inexperienced side - Solskjaer himself included - so to judge this as a finished product is beyond moronic. We won't win the league this year - get over it nobody in their right minds would expect this not from any manager. We might make top-four if this team manages to grow as the season progresses and we're lucky to avoid an injury crisis (like the one we're suffering from at present) - but like a lot of people said at the end of last season a top-six then hoping to win the EL is a more realistic way back into the CL. However if we keep progressing and building on what they've done so far during our January and summer windows - I think we'll be able to solidify a top-four next season and then step back up as potential challengers by 2022.

Personally I don't know yet if this project is what will get us back into the top flight but neither can anyone in here and truth is we won't know until Christmas 2020 because that's how rebuilding a shattered team works - it takes time. I'm encourages so far though because every step taken up until this point has been in the right direction - and my only grief is that we should have made one more step (reinforcing our midfield and attack as mentioned above). But like I said - I don't think this is down to our current manager as he himself too identified these issues already during our last campaign so he's obviously aware of them.

Either way - this is where we are at present. Let's not pretend it's Ole's fault because it's not - he's doing his best with what he's inherited and from an objective view you couldn't expect more from him or anyone else than what we're currently seeing. I bet most of the people who are slagging him off would be way more nuanced in their views if his name was Klopp or Pochettino - then suddenly as if by some stroke of magic you'd all be able see what the rest of us are seeing. This is Manchester United Football Club as of 2019 - get behind it or feck off to be honest. Supporters turning on their own team are harmful to that team - and that's the last this club needs right now.

Halal Jalal

I, by the way, am convinced Ole is doing a good job
:confused: Based on what, exactly? Just because some of the players we disliked left the club, and weren't even replaced? He's been here for 10 months, the football is physically painful to watch, there's no sign of attacking patterns or any sort of tactical cohesion, the results are embarrassing, and he's visibly aged a decade since the bad form started because he's obviously out of his depth and scared.
Ole isn't good enough for a Championship job, let alone managing Manchester United!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not at all? He's not done anything right - at all? I'm going to quote myself again here:
From your long post I caught something quite funny. "our results are down to something that cannot be instantly fixed".

Completely ignoring the fact that our team don't look remotely coached, have players deployed in the wrong position and should still be capable of putting up better performances against weaker squads (Astana, West Ham, Rochdale, Palace).

It's not inevitable pain because of a transition. We know what a transition should look like and we know what no plan looks like. Ole's performances look more like Moyes than say, LVG. Let's put it that way for you to know what I'm trying to say.

MisterLupus

If the league started from when Ole took over we'd be sitting in 13th. We have no away wins since February and 6 wins in the last 20 games in all competitions, including wins against Rochdale and Astana of Kazakhstan.

How is he doing a good job?
Yeah we're in a ditch it worries me too. But I find it somewhat convenient to start the count the moment we fell into that ditch - ignoring prior results. Overall he's at 51% win rate since he took charge - and he's made a lot of good calls as well addressing a lot of issues most of us used to agree needed fixing while at the same time building for the long run by fielding a very young squad. Surely you won't deny him that?

All circumstances considered I think he's done okay and I believe if he keeps at it results too will improve. He's still new to the league as well - and I'm confident he'll grow. My biggest grief is the fact that I was hoping for at least two more signings this summer - our offense is weak and that's what causing most of our problems lately. But this is something we'll address this January so even though I find it somewhat inexcusable that they didn't do a better job at it during our previous window I'm hopeful they got it covered. This season was never about being triumphant anyways just establishing a sound platform to build on.

I've seen numerous people on this website that claim that no one can do better than Ole has done with this squad. I'll be sure to PM you when I see the next person say it. One of the posters above said no one would do much better with the squad, so it's not a stretch to believe that there have been people say no one would do better
Save it I'm married. I don't want to get intimate with you :p And that's not the point you made - because now suddenly you're limiting it to United in it's current state. And I would agree with the people you mention - I believe most managers would have to struggle through a prolonged and painful transition phase with this team - but that's not the same as saying Ole is the best there is which is what you presented our sentiments as:

Last edited:

NWRed

That evidence being 3 very successful signings, clearing out a significant amount of dead wood, overseeing a significant academy recruitment push, changing the clubs focus on signings to younger talented players who want to be here, and sticking to it by refusing to sign players just after a payday, trying to change the way we play with a squad build to play in exactly the opposite manner, and all this while still having a record in his first 37 games better than Klopps first 37 at Liverpool (54% win % vs 46% win %, only 5% off SAF United career win % btw).

Last edited:

NWRed

:confused: Based on what, exactly?
That evidence being 3 very successful signings, clearing out a significant amount of dead wood, overseeing a significant academy recruitment push, changing the clubs focus on signings to younger talented players who want to be here, and sticking to it by refusing to sign players just after a payday, trying to change the way we play with a squad build to play in exactly the opposite manner, and all this while still having a record in his first 37 games better than Klopps first 37 at Liverpool (54% win % vs 46% win %, only 5% off SAF United career win % btw).

Last edited:

Scotty McT

Save it I'm married. I don't want to get intimate with you :p And that's not the point you made - because now suddenly you're limiting it to United in it's current state. And I would agree with the people you mention - I believe most managers would have to struggle through a prolonged and painful transition phase with this team - but that's not the same as saying Ole is the best there is which is what you presented our sentiments as:
I'm not suddenly limiting to the squad in its present state; that was my intention all along, which is why I mentioned managing a squad rather than the football club itself. I should have made that more clear so apologies for the confusion.

But yeah, something like this this is bizarre and shows a complete disrespect for Pep's far superior tactical nous and man management skills:

This time last year some of us were saying results would be no better under a different manager with this squad. I'll say the same again.
There is only so much Ole can do with this squad, too many of these players are average. You could probably have Pep in and the result would have been the same.
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they were being hyperbolic but what's the point in the context of a debate about how good our manager is.

That said, I can find plenty of posts to that effect, so I'm sure some of them believe that a Pep or a Klopp (or a Sir Alex) literally couldn't get better results than Ole with this current United squad. Which is quite clearly absurd and suggests that Ole's just as good as them once you take transfers out of the equation.

Last edited:

vanderpants

With Ole coming out and saying we need 2 more strikers but couldn't find any targets in the summer transfer window just smells of bullshit, utd had loads of time to identify targets as they knew Lukaka and Sanchez would be off. I can't see who he wants to sign in January as all the top players will be in the champions league and won't want to leave let alone come to a shambles of a club like ours. Ole has been well and truly shafted by Woodward here.

Mainoldo

3 successful signings. If he makes it a full season. We will revisit how successful these signings turn out.

rotherham_red

And you seem to be making the mistake of having the opinion that any competent manager would be willing to work under the restrictions imposed upon Ole this past year.

Make no mistake, I'm not thinking Ole is the Lord and Saviour here. I know there are big issues with him atm - not least him being unproven and currently going through a rough patch (exacerbated by injuries), but I'd say what's more delusional is thinking that all our problems are reolved if Ole is sacked.

If Jose, after 3 summers' worth of work and £400m of funds had given us a team that made you wonder what was done on the training ground, then what in feck's name did you expect was going to happen when that same squad has been gutted? It's a rebuild which will take time to come to fruition. If by the end of that rebuild we're still nowhere near then by all means, Ole is not the right man for the job. But right now, when he hasn't even got a full squad and options to choose from, even when fully fit? It's beyond stupid to even think it.

You call Ole the dunce, but judging by that post, I'd recommend you looked closer to home the next time...

NWRed

3 successful signings. If he makes it a full season. We will revisit how successful these signings turn out.
I'm glad we agree that time is needed before we can judge the outcome of the changes and decisions that Ole has made and is currently making, by extension this would mean the people calling for Ole to be sacked are wrong as we haven't yet had the time necessary to judge him.

Halal Jalal

That evidence being 3 very successful signings, clearing out a significant amount of dead wood, overseeing a significant academy recruitment push, changing the clubs focus on signings to younger talented players who want to be here, and sticking to it by refusing to sign players just after a payday, trying to change the way we play with a squad build to play in exactly the opposite manner, and all this while still having a record in his first 37 games better than Klopps first 37 at Liverpool (54% win % vs 46% win %).
You mean signing two of the most obvious defensive reinforcements imaginable, throwing a bunch of youngsters on the bench to save Glazers some money on wages (while still using Mata or Matic in first XI), and getting rejected by Dybala? I'll give you his % record so far, but all of the early success was down to Pogba stepping up to prove that sacking Mourinho was the right thing to do. Ever since PP stopped carrying the whole team and averaging over a G/A per 90 like he did in Ole's early days, we've been stagnating brutally. The rest of your arguments are as empty as Ole's press conference platitudes and phrases.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
And you seem to be making the mistake of having the opinion that any competent manager would be willing to work under the restrictions imposed upon Ole this past year.

Make no mistake, I'm not thinking Ole is the Lord and Saviour here. I know there are big issues with him atm - not least him being unproven and currently going through a rough patch (exacerbated by injuries), but I'd say what's more delusional is thinking that all our problems are reolved if Ole is sacked.

If Jose, after 3 summers' worth of work and £400m of funds had given us a team that made you wonder what was done on the training ground, then what in feck's name did you expect was going to happen when that same squad has been gutted? It's a rebuild which will take time to come to fruition. If by the end of that rebuild we're still nowhere near then by all means, Ole is not the right man for the job. But right now, when he hasn't even got a full squad and options to choose from, even when fully fit? It's beyond stupid to even think it.

You call Ole the dunce, but judging by that post, I'd recommend you looked closer to home the next time...
As usual you posted a load of wishy-washy waffle and also a half-assed attempt at deflection.

clarkydaz

Someone should ask why he kept Paul Pogba when the player doesn't want to be here. His interview has always been full of lies and non-sense positivity. Wasn’t long ago David Moyes got absolutely hammered for saying we should be trying to get to the standard of Man City. Now this guy is putting us in the same category as Leicester & Arsenal and somehow receive no hate here for it.
Keeping pogba may not have been his decision. Like martial not being sold a year earlier

Nikelesh Reddy

Wonder if anybody knows if a caretaker manager becoming permanent has worked at any of the top clubs? I am sure there is somebody our there who can find out.
Was just browsing through the net and I came across a guy called Tony Barton.He was appointed caretaker manager of Aston Villa in 1981 when the club was struggling and he guided them to safety that season.In the next season he won the European cup for Villa....

MisterLupus

From your long post I caught something quite funny. "our results are down to something that cannot be instantly fixed".

Completely ignoring the fact that our team don't look remotely coached, have players deployed in the wrong position and should still be capable of putting up better performances against weaker squads (Astana, West Ham, Rochdale, Palace).

It's not inevitable pain because of a transition. We know what a transition should look like and we know what no plan looks like. Ole's performances look more like Moyes than say, LVG. Let's put it that way for you to know what I'm trying to say.
Eye of the beholder I guess. I can see clearly how he wants to play and like a lot of things we've done since he took charge I feel it's a step in the right direction. Our problem is we simply don't have the quality as of now to do so successfully. And yeah maybe part of that blame is on him - because even though our movement both on and off the ball has improved and team cohesion as a whole likewise so - our current players still struggle to create chances and can't even hit an open net or score on penalties when these chances present themselves - something that's been apparent for a while so you'd think they'd get drilled harder on that area (maybe they have though I don't have eyes on the training grounds)- Also - more crucially - we definitely should have reinforced our offense prior to entering this season.

Mainoldo

With Ole coming out and saying we need 2 more strikers but couldn't find any targets in the summer transfer window just smells of bullshit, utd had loads of time to identify targets as they knew Lukaka and Sanchez would be off. I can't see who he wants to sign in January as all the top players will be in the champions league and won't want to leave let alone come to a shambles of a club like ours. Ole has been well and truly shafted by Woodward here.
Or maybe he just didn’t want a striker that wasn’t player x. Whoever the hell that was.

NWRed

You mean signing two of the most obvious defensive reinforcements imaginable, throwing a bunch of youngsters on the bench to save Glazers some money on wages (while still using Mata or Matic in first XI), and getting rejected by Dybala? I'll give you his % record so far, but all of the early success was down to Pogba stepping up to prove that sacking Mourinho was the right thing to do. Ever since PP stopped carrying the whole team and averaging over a G/A per 90 like he did in Ole's early days, we've been stagnating brutally. The rest of your arguments are as empty as Ole's press conference platitudes and phrases.
1. "You'll give me his win %" - you mean you'll agree his record is nearly the equal of SAF and better than Klopp.

2. you agree he's improved the squad, but call them obvious defensive reinforcements, yet at the time the caf was up in arms about the price of Maguire and with people moaning about City getting Cancelo while we get ripped off for AWB

3. you claim we were rejected by Dybala when the opposite is true, we rejected him because he wasn't fully committed to us, exactly the right decision.

4. your point about Pogba only reinforces the fact that the squad he inherited wasn't good enough and so needs time and patience to rebuild.

5. your point about giving the kids a chance from the bench is just absurd and not worth countering.

Mainoldo

I'm glad we agree that time is needed before we can judge the outcome of the changes and decisions that Ole has made and is currently making, by extension this would mean the people calling for Ole to be sacked are wrong as we haven't yet had the time necessary to judge him.
We don’t agree on anything. I don’t need time to see something unsuccessful. I’d rather just avoid it.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Quality control
Where exactly does an armchair fan like you get the idea you have the slightest clue what is going on behind the scenes to rebuild the club

Your basis for future success is about as insipid as when the dunce opens his mouth. I can understand why he has your insightful support.

Halal Jalal

1. "You'll give me his win %" - you mean you'll agree his record is nearly the equal of SAF and better than Klopp.

2. you agree he's improved the squad, but call them obvious defensive reinforcements, yet at the time the caf was up in arms about the price of Maguire and with people moaning about City getting Cancelo while we get ripped off for AWB

3. you claim we were rejected by Dybala when the opposite is true, we rejected him because he wasn't fully committed to us, exactly the right decision.

4. your point about Pogba only reinforces the fact that the squad he inherited wasn't good enough and so needs time and patience to rebuild.

5. your point about giving the kids a chance from the bench is just absurd and not worth countering.
I'm not saying his record is impressive, pretty much the opposite - now that Paul can't be bothered to carry the whole team anymore, Ole looks far more clueless than Moyes ever did. What is he even doing in training? The team doesn't look it's managed at all, like a bunch of strangers meeting for the first time everytime they step on the pitch. Ole isn't a weak manager, I have yet to see any evidence he's a football manager at all.

We definitely DID overpay for Maguire, but he's the best CB we could have hoped for. Do you think anyone world class would come to be managed by Ole from Molde?

"We rejected Dybala" is Woodward's official media narrative, there are reports claiming the opposite. Most likely scenario is that he asked for 500k/w, because he had zero interest to come and we stopped negotiating. I highly doubt we aren't interested in these elite players anymore, it's just nearly impossible to sign them in our current state.

Lampard actually uses academy kids in his starting XI, Ole just talks about it in press conferences.

Nikelesh Reddy

The truth is most football managers don't want a DoF. In fact having no doF is one of the perks of the United job for managers. Even Jose opposed it. We originally made it this way to give the manager extensive control over their purchases. It's till only recently that the fans started agitating for one but it certainly has its positives for managers
Honestly I”ve changed my view on DOF’s over the last 6 seasons.When SAF was in charge,I looked down upon clubs who needed to employ a DOF.But after seeing the mess that we”ve ended up in over the last 6-7 seasons,and after seeing our haphazard style of functioning in the transfer window,I”ve changed my view.We need a DOF who can protect the long term interests of the club and we need somebody who can help the board and Woodward in buying players who can consistently play a certain brand of football.We can’t keep swinging from 1 extreme to the other....

Rafaeldagold

What’s convincing you exactly? We’re bloody terrible. No identity, no results, no hope.

People like you are utterly delusional and you’re harming the club by tolerating this nonsense. There’s so many better managers out there for our great club

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Eye of the beholder I guess. I can see clearly how he wants to play and like a lot of things we've done since he took charge I feel it's a step in the right direction. Our problem is we simply don't have the quality as of now to do so successfully. And yeah maybe part of that blame is on him - because even though our movement both on and off the ball has improved and team cohesion as a whole likewise so - our current players still struggle to create chances and can't even hit an open net or score on penalties when these chances present themselves - something that's been apparent for a while so you'd think they'd get drilled harder on that area (maybe they have though I don't have eyes on the training grounds)- Also - more crucially - we definitely should have reinforced our offense prior to entering this season.
I genuinely think most neutrals see our play since PSG as closer to Moyes than any other manager. What's weird is we actually sometimes look even worse and this is after his hyped pre season.

Again I have no issue with a transition and I'd not complain about results if we actually played well, but an inability to build sustained attacks against Rochdale, Palace, Astana, West Ham, Southampton with 10 men, Wolves... Its just beggars belief. There isn't performance improvement there at all. The players genuinely look confused when they enter the oppositions final 3rd.

At least with Mourinho I knew what they were doing, eg going direct straight to a target man.. Or with LVG I knew they were relying on moving the ball rather than the player too much, increasing frequency until the opposition lost focus.

Now with those managers whether I agreed or disagreed with the style I can accept that there was a plan and a focus on how to attack. With Ole I'm genuinely confused. What do they work on in training outside of fitness? Are they even pressing like he says they would? Who starts at 10? Who starts right wing? Is Pogba really deeper going forward now? Feck knows. Sometimes yeah and then other times never. It's bizzare and not really quality related.

NWRed

I'm not saying his record is impressive, pretty much the opposite - now that Paul can't be bothered to carry the whole team anymore, Ole looks far more clueless than Moyes ever did. What is he even doing in training? The team doesn't look it's managed at all, like a bunch of strangers meeting for the first time everytime they step on the pitch. Ole isn't a weak manager, I have yet to see any evidence he's a football manager at all.

We definitely DID overpay for Maguire, but he's the best CB we could have hoped for. Do you think anyone world class would come to be managed by Ole from Molde?

"We rejected Dybala" is Woodward's official media narrative, there are reports claiming the opposite. Most likely scenario is that he asked for 500k/w, because he had zero interest to come and we stopped negotiating. I highly doubt we aren't interested in these elite players anymore, it's just nearly impossible to sign them in our current state.

Lampard actually uses academy kids in his starting XI, Ole just talks about it in press conferences.
I was in the middle of typing a reply but deleted it, you're really not worth my time.

Scotty McT

Are you incapable of using google?

SAF's win percentage over his United career was 59.7%, Ole has won 20 or 37 games so far, so 54%, and Klopp won 17 of his first 37 games, so 46%. Look it up yourself https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk.
I'm not sure why you needed to get rude. I just asked for a link because I had no idea you were talking about Klopp's record over an arbitrary amount of games.

So you're comparing Ole's record to SAF's entire United career but only Klopp's first 37 games at Liverpool? Interesting.

Edit: To be fair, I didn't follow the entire debate you had with the other guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.